Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you believe that a soul is imparted at conception?

Or do you believe it is a birth?

Do you believe the Holy Spirit can be imparted in the womb?
I believe that our souls are given at conception. When human life begins, it happens at the moment of conception. That's why when you're looking at science books when it comes to the life cycle, it always starts at the moment of conception.

It couldn't be at the moment of birth that we receive our souls. To me, that doesn't make sense. A baby is clearly alive before birth, as can be seen by its movements and development (such as a beating heart and brain activity). The birth canal doesn't just magically grant people a soul.

As for whether the Holy Spirit can be imparted in the womb, that is an obvious "yes" to me. If you look in the Bible, when Mary goes to visit Elizabeth, John the Baptist leaps in Elizabeth's womb with joy, as he can sense the presence of Jesus, who has not yet been born, but is still in Mary's womb.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Deep question - if we follow how God made Adam and how God breathed into the unliving body the breath/Spirit of Life, then maybe the parallel is that the unborn are not "souls." However, the difference is that the body that was to become Adam was not yet living, and the fetus is living from its beginning.

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Or do you believe it is a birth?

I believe that the soul/spirit enters with the breath. Therefore it remains unaffected and gets no free trips to future destinations as a result of a fetus dying in the womb.

If we look at John the Baptist......He was said to have the same spirit as a body that lived long before him.... And of course God knows all who will and will not be born.....therefore he can do as he wishes from the time of conception and there can be no thought of "what if this or that person were never born"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe that the soul/spirit enters with the breath. Therefore it remains unaffected and gets no free trips to future destinations as a result of a fetus dying in the womb.

If we look at John the Baptist......He was said to have the same spirit as a body that lived long before him.... And of course God knows all who will and will not be born.....therefore he can do as he wishes from the time of conception and there can be no thought of "what if this or that person were never born"
So do you believe upon birth a soul is imparted? Just looking for clarification.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So do you believe upon birth a soul is imparted? Just looking for clarification.
I believe that we are connected to a body at birth, but we exist before and after the body. Finding out and becoming who we are through Christ brings salvation.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that we are connected to a body at birth, but we exist before and after the body. Finding out and becoming who we are through Christ brings salvation.
Jesus did not have a soul while in Mary’s womb?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Or do you believe it is at birth?

In Scriptures there is never life without a soul. A body without a soul is what we called deceased, dead, assuming room temperature.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Or do you believe it is at birth?

Leviticus 17:11
"For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life."

We are a living soul when there are blood cells.

Luke 1:41
"When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit."

It says Elizabeth was filled and, obviously, it carried over onto John. So, I would say yes, the Spirit can be imparted in the womb.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We know scientifically that a new human being, with its own unique DNA comes into existence and begins a 25 year developmental period at conception. We know Biblically that all human beings are created in the image of God and possess inherent moral worth and value.

Concerning John the Baptist, an angel told Zacharias, "For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb. "

Then when John was about 6 months in the womb, we are told that, "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. "

We can see from Luke 1 that John the Baptist, while still in the womb was filled with the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus existed from before the beginning......He did not begin in the womb of Mary....
Ok, we are going to get into Christological issues with this answer. Is not Jesus Christ fully human and fully God? If this is also your view then Jesus would have a human soul as He has two Natures but is One Person.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deep question - if we follow how God made Adam and how God breathed into the unliving body the breath/Spirit of Life, then maybe the parallel is that the unborn are not "souls." However, the difference is that the body that was to become Adam was not yet living, and the fetus is living from its beginning.

Yes the difference between directly created as an adult as in Adam and Eve, and procreation as everyone from Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0