United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-4-17_14-36-14.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | April 17 | MATTHEW 26:26-29 | Communion

Memory Verse
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins (Matthew 26:28).

Following the last passover, Jesus instituted the first Communion service. It is important to remember that salvation is not gained through taking Communion. This Christian experience is the celebration of sins forgiven through the death of Christ on the cross.

The Communion service looks both backward and forward. In sharing Communion, we look back to the cross and forward to His return: “For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come” (1 Corinthians l 1:26).

At the Lord’s table, we rejoice in the great love of God that caused Him to send His Son to die for us. We anticipate meeting our Saviour. We feel the warmth of Christian fellowship, and thank God for the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love.

Still there is a solemn note here. We are to judge ourselves (see 1 Corinthians l 1:31). A stern warning accompanies the instructions for Communion: “Wherefore whosoever shalt eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord” (1 Corinthians 11:27).

Frightening? Yes, if we must become worthy through our own good works. Thankfully, that is not the case. We become worthy through Christ: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

Communion speaks of our daily walk with Jesus made possible through His shed blood.

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
v
upload_2018-4-18_21-7-13.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | April 18 | MATTHEW 26:17-25 | The Last Passover

Memory Verse
And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover (Matthew 26:19).

The Children of Israel had been observing the passover since the day of their deliverance from slavery in Egypt. The record of the first passover is given in Exodus 12. Through the centuries, the choicest lambs had been brought for sacrifice at passover, symbolizing God’s salvation for His people at that time and looking forward to the coming of the Saviour.

Jesus met with His disciples to eat the passover meal. It was to be the last passover. In his book, “The King of the Jews,” Dr. John R. Rice wrote: “There would have been no reason for a passover lamb and the feast of unleavened bread except to picture the coming crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Therefore His disciples should have expected His Crucifixion, which had been so clearly foretold before, to occur at the time of the passover — in fact, at the very hour when the passover lamb was being slain, on the day of the preparation (John 19:14,31).

John the Baptist had announced, “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29). Now the Lamb of whom all the Old Testament sacrifices had spoken, had come to the last passover. Not one more animal sacrifice would be required. His sacrifice would be sufficient for the sins of all: “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath Laid on him the iniquity of us all” (Isaiah 53:6).

Christ is enough!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | April 20 | MATTHEW 27:27-32 | The Crown of Thorns
upload_2018-4-20_13-6-34.jpeg

Memory Verse
And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews! (Matthew 27:29).

Angels must have marveled at the cruelty of man when the Son of God was prepared for crucifixion. The One whom heaven praised was rejected, humiliated, and mocked by Pilate’s soldiers. As a part of their mockery, they placed a crown of thorns upon His head.

Though the wicked soldiers did not realize it, their handmade ugly crown was symbolic. Christ was made a curse for us in order to redeem us. Notice the place of thorns in the curse brought by sin: “And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field” (Genesis 3: 17, 18).

Nature has suffered because of the sins of man. Christ died to pay for our sins. When He returns to reign, the earth will know release. All creation awaits that day: “For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body” (Romans 8:22,23).

The work of Christ on the cross was a complete work.

And we are complete in Him!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-4-21_12-41-48.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | April 21 | LUKE 23:39-43 | Today, in Paradise

Memory Verse
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43).

There were three crosses on Calvary’s hill. Jesus died on the center cross with a thief on either side. Two who died that day were completely guilty. One was completely innocent. Two died there paying their debts to society. One died paying our debt of sin.

The second statement of Christ from the cross was to a dying thief who trusted in Him as his Lord and Saviour. And what great faith the dying criminal demonstrated. He believed while surrounded by a crowd of doubters. He saw Jesus in His most difficult hour and owned Him as his King. He accepted the promise of the Resurrection. He looked at a cross and saw a kingdom.

The dying thief’s faith was rewarded. Jesus said, “Today, thou shalt be with me in paradise.” What great heart questions are answered in this single statement of Jesus! Can one be saved in his dying hour? Can one be saved after a lifetime of wickedness? Can one be saved without baptism or communion? Can one be sure of heaven after death? To the one who believes Christ’s word to the thief, these are questions no more.

Copernicus was a great mathematician. His studies and calculations revolutionized the thinking of mankind about the universe. At death’s door, he saw himself not as a great scholar but only as a sinner in need of the Saviour. He chose the following words for his tombstone: “I do not seek a kindness equal to that given to Paul. Nor do I ask the grace granted to Peter. But that forgiveness which Thou didst grant to the robber — that, I earnestly crave!”

Jesus saves thieves, scholars, and other sinners. Trust Him today.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-4-22_16-56-3.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | April 22 | I CORINTHIANS 15:12-26 | Great Guarantees

Memory Verse
But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept (1 Corinthians 15:20).

In the Resurrection, God has given us three great guarantees.

The Resurrection guarantees the Saviour. When the critics of Christ called for some proof of His deity, He told them there would be but one sign given: THE RESURRECTION. “Destroy this temple, He said, and in three days I will raise it up” ( John 2:19). After the Resurrection, the disciples remembered that statement and its fulfillment fired their faith and sent them out to carry His message to the world.

The Resurrection guarantees salvation. Many years ago, two English lawyers, skeptics, set out to destroy Christianity. Their names were Gilbert West and Lord Littleton. They agreed that two Christian teachings must be disproved if they were to succeed: the resurrection of Christ and the conversion of Paul. West assumed the task of getting rid of the Resurrection and Littleton tackled the conversion of Paul. Their plan was for each to research his subject for one year. At the end of that time, they would come together and prepare to present their findings to the world. “When they met, one year later, both were Christians, each confessing to his conversion as a result of his own research!”

The resurrection of Christ guarantees our similar resurrection. On that first Easter, Mary wept because the tomb was empty, but that very fact signaled the emptying of the graves of all believers at the return of Christ. And that’s what Easter is all about!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | April 23 | I CORINTHIANS 15:51-58 | The Conquered Grave
Today's Devotional
Memory Verse
But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:57).

One hundred years ago, a very wealthy woman who had been opposed to the doctrine of the Resurrection died. Before her death she gave orders that her grave should be covered with a slab of granite; that around it should be placed square blocks of stone, and that the corners should be fastened to each other and to the granite slab by heavy iron clamps. Upon the covering, this inscription was to be placed: “THIS BURIAL PLACE PURCHASED TO ALL ETERNITY MUST NEVER BE OPENED.”

The doubting lady had gone to great trouble to secure herself against an event in which she professed not to believe. However, time mocked her.

Not long after her death, a tiny birch tree seed sprouted and the root found its way between the side stone and the upper slab and grew there. Slowly, but steadily, it forced its way until the iron clamps were torn apart. Finally the granite lid was raised and made to rest upon the trunk of the large and flourishing birch tree.

Nearly two thousand years ago, another grave was sealed. The authority of the Roman Empire was enlisted to see that it should never be opened. It was the grave of Jesus.

Three days later, the stone that had been placed at the entrance of the tomb was rolled away. Christ arose! Death could not hold Him: “Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it” (Acts 2:24).

What good news to tell to doubting people!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | April 24 | JOHN 20:24-29 | Doubting Thomas

Memory Verse
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God (John 20:28).

“Doubting Thomas,” we call him. And with reason. He simply would not believe that Jesus had risen from the dead. There was no mistaking his opinion of the first Resurrection report: “Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe” (John 20:25).

We aren’t told why Thomas missed the first meeting with the disciples after the Resurrection when Jesus appeared. Perhaps he had a good excuse for not attending the gathering called by the risen Christ. One thing is sure: missing that meeting made him a doubter and established his reputation through the centuries. He would always be known as “Doubting Thomas.”

There is, however, another side to the story. Thomas had left all to follow Christ. He went with the Lord through some pretty difficult days. To the best of our knowledge, he experienced approximately one week of doubt in his entire Christian experience. There may have been more doubting days than that for Thomas but we have no scriptural authority for saying so.

At the second appearance of Christ to the disciples, Thomas was present. When confronted with his faithless statement, he surrendered completely and cried, “My Lord and my God.” From that time on it seems sure that Thomas was an outstanding Christian and that he died as a martyr in India where, because of preaching the Gospel, he was thrust through with a spear. We label Thomas because of one weak week.

Sadly, we often treat other Christians the same way!

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today’s Devotional | April 24 | JOHN 20:24-29 | Doubting Thomas

Memory Verse
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God (John 20:28).

“Doubting Thomas,” we call him. And with reason. He simply would not believe that Jesus had risen from the dead. There was no mistaking his opinion of the first Resurrection report: “Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe” (John 20:25).

We aren’t told why Thomas missed the first meeting with the disciples after the Resurrection when Jesus appeared. Perhaps he had a good excuse for not attending the gathering called by the risen Christ. One thing is sure: missing that meeting made him a doubter and established his reputation through the centuries. He would always be known as “Doubting Thomas.”

There is, however, another side to the story. Thomas had left all to follow Christ. He went with the Lord through some pretty difficult days. To the best of our knowledge, he experienced approximately one week of doubt in his entire Christian experience. There may have been more doubting days than that for Thomas but we have no scriptural authority for saying so.

At the second appearance of Christ to the disciples, Thomas was present. When confronted with his faithless statement, he surrendered completely and cried, “My Lord and my God.” From that time on it seems sure that Thomas was an outstanding Christian and that he died as a martyr in India where, because of preaching the Gospel, he was thrust through with a spear. We label Thomas because of one weak week.

Sadly, we often treat other Christians the same way!
The sole soul among the disciples to doubt—at least from what is revealed. The retelling of this story gives hope to those who doubt; hope that through God's word, we might strengthen our faith in He who took on the sin of the world and was resurrected for our sake so that we might have abundant life in Christ. Amen.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 226358

Today’s Devotional | April 17 | MATTHEW 26:26-29 | Communion

Memory Verse
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins (Matthew 26:28).

Following the last passover, Jesus instituted the first Communion service. It is important to remember that salvation is not gained through taking Communion. This Christian experience is the celebration of sins forgiven through the death of Christ on the cross.

The Communion service looks both backward and forward. In sharing Communion, we look back to the cross and forward to His return: “For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come” (1 Corinthians l 1:26).

At the Lord’s table, we rejoice in the great love of God that caused Him to send His Son to die for us. We anticipate meeting our Saviour. We feel the warmth of Christian fellowship, and thank God for the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love.

Still there is a solemn note here. We are to judge ourselves (see 1 Corinthians l 1:31). A stern warning accompanies the instructions for Communion: “Wherefore whosoever shalt eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord” (1 Corinthians 11:27).

Frightening? Yes, if we must become worthy through our own good works. Thankfully, that is not the case. We become worthy through Christ: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

Communion speaks of our daily walk with Jesus made possible through His shed blood.
Amen. In Christ we are worthy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | April 25 | MARK 16:1-8 | And Peter

Memory Verse
But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you (Mark 16:7).

Peter had not intended to become a backslider. Boldly he had proclaimed his loyalty, even being willing to stand alone. But there is a difference between determination and daily living. Dedication is only tested in the fire of experience. It is one thing to talk about ability to overcome temptation and quite another to prove it when doing battle with the tempter.

After his three denials of Christ, Peter went out and wept bitterly. The gospels are silent about his actions during the Crucifixion and some have thought he fled the scene, but in his first epistle he states that he was a witness of the sufferings of Christ (see 1 Peter 5: 1). What a sad picture he presents as he watches the Lord’s sufferings through his tears!

Interestingly, in the instruction given to the women who came to the tomb after the Resurrection, Peter is the only disciple that is named. The message of the Resurrection must go to brokenhearted Peter. By that time, he may have doubted that he could be considered one of the disciples, so the Lord made sure that he knew that he was invited to the coming meeting with them. Though he had failed, His Lord loved him.

You may live with doubts and regrets. Perhaps you had great hopes of serving Christ but temptation came and you yielded. Now you think the Lord is through with you. Remember Peter. Like the denying disciple, you are the special object of God’s love!

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today’s Devotional | April 25 | MARK 16:1-8 | And Peter

Memory Verse
But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you (Mark 16:7).

Peter had not intended to become a backslider. Boldly he had proclaimed his loyalty, even being willing to stand alone. But there is a difference between determination and daily living. Dedication is only tested in the fire of experience. It is one thing to talk about ability to overcome temptation and quite another to prove it when doing battle with the tempter.

After his three denials of Christ, Peter went out and wept bitterly. The gospels are silent about his actions during the Crucifixion and some have thought he fled the scene, but in his first epistle he states that he was a witness of the sufferings of Christ (see 1 Peter 5: 1). What a sad picture he presents as he watches the Lord’s sufferings through his tears!

Interestingly, in the instruction given to the women who came to the tomb after the Resurrection, Peter is the only disciple that is named. The message of the Resurrection must go to brokenhearted Peter. By that time, he may have doubted that he could be considered one of the disciples, so the Lord made sure that he knew that he was invited to the coming meeting with them. Though he had failed, His Lord loved him.

You may live with doubts and regrets. Perhaps you had great hopes of serving Christ but temptation came and you yielded. Now you think the Lord is through with you. Remember Peter. Like the denying disciple, you are the special object of God’s love!
It's heart-wrenching to think about Peter denying Christ. O what bitter tears those must have been. When people ask if Christians can backslide in faith, this example illustrates the wide path we face, even those closest to Jesus, when we try to stand on our own merit or when we fear men with evil hearts rather than fear God Himself. Faith is a gift from God, it's nurtured and it grows when we love and trust in God with all our heart, mind, and soul. By our fear of God, and through our love and trust in God, our faith continues to grow in Christ. Lord, may we never let go of our love and trust in God, nor lose our fear of God, for we are the special recipients of His love, His gift of faith. Amen.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | April 29 | JOHN 1:35-42 | Finders Keepers

Memory Verse
He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messiah, which is, being interpreted, the Christ (John 1:41).

Andrew was a finder.

We have no record of any of Andrew’s sermons. But we know that he found his brother Peter and brought him to Jesus. And Peter’s powerful preaching brought three thousand to Christ on the day of Pentecost. Certainly Andrew will share in the rewards of that great harvest.

When five thousand were hungry, Andrew found a lad with five barley loaves and two small fishes with which the Lord fed the multitude. Faced with the problem of feeding that huge crowd, Philip began to fret and figure how they could get money enough to buy each one a crust of bread. Not Andrew. He set out to find a solution. And his search produced a boy with a lunch that Jesus could use.

Some fret about problems and others find solutions.

All churches need more finders. When the finders are at work all church problems are solved. Bringing people to Jesus turns the coldest church into a place of warmth and joy. Bringing people to Jesus puts new life in any congregation. Bringing people to Jesus encourages pastors.

Pastors often move because their people won’t.

Andrew found his brother. He began looking for a convert right at home. The mission field is all about us. The field is the world. Jesus said the reapers in His harvest receive wages — rewards. You don’t lose by giving time to serving Christ. Here especially, finders are keepers.

Find someone for Jesus today!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | April 30 | I CORINTHIANS 13 | The Greatest of These

Memory Verse

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity (1 Corinthians 13:13). No one would question the importance of love in the Christian life. Love is the very heart of the gospel. The good news is that God loves us and has given His Son for our salvation.

There is, however, another side to this love story. John puts it well: “Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another” (1 John 4:11).

Simple, you say?
Perhaps. Yet sometimes difficult.
To live above with saints in love
Will be eternal glory;
To live below with saints we know
Is quite another story.

What will happen to our relationships with other Christians if we allow the love of Christ to rule in our hearts?
We will be quick to forgive. We will be slow to wrath. We will be careful with our words. We will shut our ears to gossip and grumbling. We will want to share our blessings. We will find it more blessed to give than to receive.

And that’s only the beginning! The Lord will continually give opportunities to show His love to others.
“By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another”
(John 13:35).
D. L. Moody said: “There are two ways of being united — frozen together, and melted together. What Christians need most is to be united in brotherly love.”
Amen, Mr. Moody. Amen!

How apropos that I heard about this, with the man's new book We Are Not A Daycare...

Fed up with easily offended students, college president fires back. "This is not a day care. This is a university."

Oklahoma Wesleyan University President Everett Piper was a bit blunter in his response to a student on his campus who complained that a university chapel service offended his sensibilities and made him feel uncomfortable.

In a searing blog , Piper wrote in part:This past week, I actually had a student come forward after a university chapel service and complain because he felt “victimized” by a sermon on the topic of 1 Corinthians 13. It appears that this young scholar felt offended because a homily on love made him feel bad for not showing love. In his mind, the speaker was wrong for making him, and his peers, feel uncomfortable. I have a message for this young man and all others who care to listen. That feeling of discomfort you have after listening to a sermon is called a conscience. An altar call is supposed to make you feel bad. It is supposed to make you feel guilty. The goal of many a good sermon is to get you to confess your sins—not coddle you in your selfishness. The primary objective of the Church and the Christian faith is your confession, not your self-actualization.

So here’s my advice: If you want the chaplain to tell you you’re a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you’re looking for. If you want to complain about a sermon that makes you feel less than loving for not showing love, this might be the wrong place.
If you’re more interested in playing the “hater” card than you are in confessing your own hate; if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn; if you don’t want to feel guilt in your soul when you are guilty of sin; if you want to be enabled rather than confronted, there are many universities across the land (in Missouri and elsewhere) that will give you exactly what you want, but Oklahoma Wesleyan isn’t one of them.

At OKWU, we teach you to be selfless rather than self-centered. We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge. We want you to model interpersonal reconciliation rather than foment personal conflict. We believe the content of your character is more important than the color of your skin. We don’t believe that you have been victimized every time you feel guilty and we don’t issue “trigger warnings” before altar calls.

This is not a day care. This is a university!

Enrollment at the Uni has since tripled. It appears many parents want their children to grow up and think for themselves.

Believe in Him or not --- GOD LOVES YOU!
love.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | May 2 | ACTS 4:1-12 | Power

Memory Verse
Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand (Acts 4:4).

The friends of Mary Slessor, missionary in Africa, were amazed when they saw that she, a weak woman, had been able to mold savage chiefs to her will. One of the chiefs explained, “You have evidently forgotten to take into account the woman’s God.”

The Psalmist wrote: “God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God” (Psalm 62:11). Still, Christians often depend on weak willpower to win in the struggles of life and churches run programs that are little different than those produced by worldly organizations. It is time to tap the powerful resources of God.

When all sin is confessed and our relationships with others are right, we can expect the power of God to flow through us. Our surrendered wills will be channels for the Lord to use. But our wills do not surrender easily. Often old hurts are harbored and even pampered. Wanting our own way, we are afraid to submit to the will of God. Therefore we do not receive His best and we continue on our weak way.

Let’s stop wasting time. The days of opportunity are coming to their close. Life is ebbing away. Christ is coming soon. It is not enough to read books and dream about the good old days when revivals swept the land. What about revival in our time?

Do you long for God’s power in daily life? Would you like to see the aisles of your church filled with people seeking salvation and direction from the Bible? Then, be sure your heart is right with God and others. Pray for revival and expect the power of God in your life.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-5-3_13-55-52.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | May 3 | PSALM 85 | Revival and Rejoicing

Memory Verse
Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee? (Psalm 85:6).

Revival brings rejoicing! And all too many of us lack this quality of life. There is an attitude of hyper-criticism abroad today that saps the strength of churches and renders Christian testimonies ineffective.

Grumbling and griping characterize many groups of Christians. David wrote of his cup running over with joy, while present-day saints often appear to have cups running over with vinegar. Husbands grumble about their wives and wives about their husbands. Parents grumble about their children and children about their parents. In the world’s most affluent society, many grumble about their possessions. And this by people who claim to serve and love the Lord who had not a place to lay His head.

Churches grumble about pastors. When the servant of the Lord first arrives, there is a period of honeymoon when the members boast about their new pastor, but after the newness wears off and he steps on a few toes while preaching, groups gather after services to have roast preacher. While holding meetings in one area and preaching on revival, one couple told me they would like to have revival in their church but were afraid if it came the pastor would stay, and they wanted him to leave. Such negativism must be confessed as sin before revival can come.

Revival brings rejoicing because in revival, people stop looking at the faults of others and, instead, focus on the Saviour. He is the source of Christian joy. Three words can bring revival and rejoicing: “Looking unto Jesus.”

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-5-4_13-23-43.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | May 4 | ACTS 2:41-47 | Love

Memory Verse

And all that believed were together, and had all things common (Acts 2:44).

A Columbian was converted to Christ through reading the Bible. He had no personal contact with any missionary or Bible-teaching church. Soon thereafter, he came to the United States to live. Upon arriving here, he began searching for a fellowship of believers so as to learn more about his newfound faith.

Most people converted in America have some tie to a Bible-centered church that provides them with immediate fellowship and spiritual guidance. My Columbian acquaintance did not have this advantage and the maze of multiplied churches and denominations was confusing to him. Finally he settled on a solution. He decided to search until he found a congregation where love, such as he saw described in the New Testament Church, was evident among the people. He felt confident that test would enable him to settle on the right church.

Nearly twenty years have passed since I learned of that Columbian convert’s formula for finding fellowship. Yet, every time his experience crosses my mind I become a bit uncomfortable and an unwanted question surfaces: “If he had visited my church, would he have stayed and made it his own?”

When revival comes, Christian love is seen operating everywhere. Old differences are put away. People who have held grudges lay them aside and forgive as they have been forgiven. People become more important than money or property. Stinginess is stifled. The world looks on and says: “Behold, how they love one another!”

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | May 5 | PSALM 17 | Use the Tongue

Memory Verse
Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress (Psalm 17:3).

John Wesley was preaching and wearing a new bow tie with two streamers hanging down from it. There was a sister in the meeting who didn’t hear a word about Jesus, but sat with a long face and saw nothing but those two streamers.

When the service was over the critic went up to Wesley and said, “Pardon me, Mr. Wesley, will you allow me to give you a little criticism?”

“Yes,” replied the preacher.

“Well,” she said, “your bow tie is too long and it is an offense to me.”

“Have you any shears?” asked Wesley.

Upon receiving a pair of shears from one in the gathering, Wesley handed them to the offended lady, saying that she would know best how to fix the tie.

Eagerly, she clipped off the streamers.

“Is that all right now?” asked Wesley.

“Yes,” she said, “that is much better.”

Then Wesley asked for the shears. “Would you mind me giving you a little criticism?” he asked. “Your tongue is a great offense to me — it is a little too long. Please stick it out while I take some off.”

Many who self-righteously criticize outward things, are guilty of transgressing with their tongues. And according to the Bible, tongues are far more likely to offend the Lord than ties (see James 1:26).

Start the day with the psalmist’s praiseworthy purpose: “I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.”

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
images

Today’s Devotional | May 6 | PSALM 15 | Backbiters

Memory Verse
Lord...who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour (Psalm 15:1,3).

The dictionary says that backbiting means to slander an absent person or persons. The old sinful nature of man is easily lured into that trap.

When we criticize others we turn attention away from our own faults. At least we think so. However, Judge Harold Medina saw it another way. He said, “Criticizing others is a dangerous thing, not so much because you may make mistakes about them, but because you may be revealing the truth about yourself.”

Oliver Wendell Holmes said, “The human race is divided into two classes — those who go ahead and do something and those who sit still and inquire why it wasn’t done the other way.”

If you find that someone has been criticizing you, don’t ever let it defeat you. If the criticism is untrue, disregard it. If it is unfair, keep from irritation. If it is ignorant, smile. If it is justified, learn from it.

But how about those who eat away at others in your presence. What can you do about them? You will never escape them for the world is full of such little people. You must simply let them know that you disapprove of their backbiting. Refuse to listen to their tirades against others. Do not allow them to deposit their poisonous thoughts in your mind. Object to being a party to their sin.

The psalmist declares that those who are close to the Lord are not backbiters. Regardless of how righteous they may sound, backbiters need to get right with God!

Upvote 0