Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 3 | ROMANS 2:1-11 | The Goodness of God

Memory Verse
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? (Romans 2:4).

Repentance is misunderstood. Some think of it as a time of deep sorrow for sin and long crying. Sorrow and tears may be a part of repentance but one may shed buckets of tears and never repent. To repent is to make an about-face. Repentance is a change of direction…a change of mind about sin and about the Saviour.

Many repent during difficult times or after experiencing some great loss, but others turn to Christ because He has been so good to them. “The goodness of God” leads them to repentance.

And God has been good to us all.

The eloquent DeWitt Talmage wrote: “It is high time you began to thank God for present blessing. Thank Him for your children, happy, buoyant, and bounding. Praise Him for fresh, cool water, bubbling from the rock, leaping in the cascade, soaring in the mist, falling in the shower, dashing against the rock, and clapping its hands in the tempest. Love Him for the grass that cushions the earth, and the clouds that curtain the sky, and the foliage that waves in the forest. Thank Him for the Bible to read, and a cross to gaze upon, and a Saviour to deliver.”

Talmage had a way with words. But your silent song of thanksgiving rising to God from a grateful heart may outdo the great orator and preacher if you give thought to all of God’s wondrous blessings.

Has God been good to you?

Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 5 |

JEREMIAH 31:1-11 |

Everlasting Love

Memory Verse
The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee (Jeremiah 31:3).

An old Scottish woman who was alone for the greater part of each day was asked, “What do you do during the day?”

“Well,” she replied, “I get my hymn book, and I have a little hymn of praise to the Lord.” “Then,” she added, “I get my Bible and let the Lord speak to me. When I am tired of reading, and I cannot sing anymore, I just sit still and let the Lord love me.”

The length of love is often celebrated. We congratulate those who have been married for twenty-five or fifty years. In this day of trial marriages and easy divorces, couples who experience lasting love are somewhat rare.

But God’s love lasts!

The love of God doesn’t diminish with the passing of time. His love for you and me is as strong as it was yesterday, last month or last year. And this in spite of our many failures along the way.

That’s only part of the story.

God’s love is everlasting. He’ll love us as much in ten thousand years as today. Our walk with Him can be bathed in love through all our days on earth and then when we arrive in heaven immediately after death, His loving arms will greet us home.

Many long for love. Life has been hard and sometimes despair has become an unwelcome companion. That may describe your life.

Here’s good news: GOD LOVES YOU! And His love never changes. Respond to His love and His lovingkindness will be your experience forever!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-8-6_10-34-18.jpeg upload_2018-8-6_10-34-18.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | August 6 | ROMANS 3:1-9 | God Forbid

Memory Verse
For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? (Romans 3:3).

A minister proclaimed the Gospel in an open-air meeting in Glasgow, Scotland. At the conclusion of his message, an unbeliever stepped from the crowd and said: “I don’t believe what the minister said. I don’t believe in heaven or hell. I don’t believe in God or Christ. I haven’t seen them.”

Then a man, wearing dark glasses, came forward and said: “You say there is a river near this place — the River Clyde. There is no such thing. You say there are people standing here, but it cannot be true. I haven’t seen them — I was born blind! Only a blind man could say what I have said. Likewise you are spiritually blind and cannot see. The Bible says of you, “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned” (1 Corinthians 2:14).

Christians often are shaken over the arguments of atheists. That is a mistake. Their unbelief does not change the truth of God. What if atheists finally outnumbered believers? Would unbelief by the majority make the Bible less dependable?

God forbid.

What if all the scientists in the world determined that God does not exist? Would their unbelief eliminate the Almighty?

God forbid.

And what if some should doubt that God will take you safely through your present crisis? Will their unbelief cancel the promises of God?

Nor for a moment. God forbid.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

images.jpg
Today’s Devotional | August 7 | PSALM 119:161-168 | Not Offended

Memory Verse
Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them (Psalm 119-165).

The Bible contains the greatest love story ever written. Nothing in literature can compare with the Bible because it was given by inspiration of God. All that we know about the love of God is contained in the Bible.

People who love God love the Bible. It is impossible to hate the Word of God and love the Author. Your love for the Lord can be measured by your attitude toward the Bible.

Exposure to the Bible in a devotional sense changes lives. The Bible has power to give daily victory over temptation. Many have despaired of ever conquering some besetting sin. Following David’s formula in Psalm 119:9-11 would have solved the problem and ended constant defeat: “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. “

One of the great benefits of loving God’s Word is in experiencing its power to deliver us from super sensitivity. Those who love the Bible will stop carrying their feelings on their sleeves. It is impossible to love the Bible, read it regularly and take it into life, without overcoming the sensitivity syndrome.

Christians do not have the right to be offended. We are not allowed to get our feelings hurt over trifles. Supersensitive saints are missing something in their walk with God. They need to fall in love with the Bible and its message so that feelings are subject to God’s Word and will.

If this truth offends you, better hurry back to the Bible for help!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 9 | JOHN 13:21-35 | Disciples

Memory Verse
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another (John 13:35).

Love is a requirement of discipleship. It is the identifying Christian characteristic. The world is able to recognize one who is disciplined to Christ by his daily and practical acts of Christian love.

Real Christianity suffers when religion gets in the way. It has always been so. We are so given to accepting outward claims to piety that we often conclude the best Christians are those who put on the most religious airs. Platform prowess may convince the general public as to who is the spiritual one in town or in the local church. But polish and performance will not count at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

Heaven will contain many surprises. The old song says: “Everybody talkin bout heaven ain’t goin there.” Many talk about heaven who have climbed the religious ladder to high positions in Christian work but are bankrupt of love. They are quick to judge and they major on criticism. The eloquent DeWitt Talmadge observed: “There are in every community, and every church, watch dogs, who feel called upon to keep their eyes on others and growl. They are always the first to hear of anything wrong. Vultures are always the first to smell carrion. They are self-appointed detectives. I lay this down as a rule without exception, that those people who have the most faults themselves are the most merciless in their watching of others. From scalp of head to soles of foot, they are full of jealousies, or hypercriticism.” In such cases, heaven may not be the destination. People who are truly born again have the Holy Spirit within. And the fruit of the Spirit is love (Galatians 5:22-23).

• Friendly
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-8-10_11-4-13.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | August 10 | JOHN 15:15-27 | The World’s Love

Memory Verse
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you (John 15:19).

The world loves its heroes, but even this love is temporary. One may be king of the mountain one day and cast down the next. Big names of the past are often the moral and financial wrecks of today. Faces that once graced top magazine covers now sell cheap sensational papers with stories of the former star’s present predicament. The world’s love is fickle and dependent on fortune.

God’s love is enduring. The ups and downs of life do not affect it: “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:35, 37-39).

Which love shall we choose?

Responding to the love of God by receiving Christ can put one at odds with others. Some will not understand. The love of the world will be forfeited. In some cases this may cost popularity or money. In many parts of the world it means imprisonment or even death. Nevertheless, it will be worth it all when we meet the Lord.

Forfeiting the world’s love to serve Christ is a small loss compared to eternal gain. Wise ones choose the love that lasts!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Drjean, It's a beautiful love, God's enduring love. Thank you for sharing this devotional. Pray for all the persecuted Christians around the world. Pray for all the lost souls. God is loving and kind. God is just. We are saved by God's merciful love. Glory to God. God with us.

• Friendly
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Romans.jpg

(above from Engaging Faith)

Today’s Devotional | August 11 | ROMANS 12:9-20 | Brotherly Love

Memory Verse
Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another (Romans 12:10).

In the first century after Christ, Tertullian, the Christian theologian wrote: “It is our care for the helpless, our practicing of lovingkindness, that brands us in the eyes of our opponents. ‘Look,’ they say, ‘how they love one another. Look how they are prepared to die one for another!’”

But is that reputation alive and well today?

In some areas and individual situations it is! Sadly, in others the missing dimension is love that really cares.

Note the tenderness of Paul’s wording: “Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love.” Commenting on the words, “kindly affectioned,” Dr. Kenneth Wuest points out that the Greek word used is “philostorgos.” He then explains: “The word here represents Christians as bound by a family tie. It is intended to define more specifically the character of ‘philadelphia’ (brotherly love) which follows, so that the exhortation is, ‘love the brethren in the faith as though they were brethren in blood.’”

The world is looking for a brotherhood. Witness the existence of dozens of lodges, clubs and other organizations that claim to be fraternal. Here is another example of human effort to produce a remedy for the need of man. All brotherhoods or sisterhoods call out for the real thing. The bond between Christians, made possible through the love of Christ and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, produces genuine brotherhood. How sad when this powerful truth and experience is neglected!

Nothing is gained through bemoaning the absence of Christian love. Action is required. The place to begin is here. The time is now. jvim.com

[drJean's note: I am thus reminded that sticking together as believers is a good thing, and choosing a Christian business over a non-Christian business is proper.]

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 12 | JOHN 21:15-25 | Love For Others

upload_2018-8-12_10-10-53.jpeg

Memory Verse
So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonah, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him. Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him. Feed my lambs (John 21:15).

In preparing Peter for his work in the early church, the Lord asked Peter if he loved Him. Peter had to learn that genuine love for Christ required acts of love and concern for others. He would be called on to feed and care for thousands of new converts. These members of the New Testament church would be known for their warm fellowship and love for one another. Peter must set the example.

It is easy to speak or sing of our love for the Lord, but real love must act. James reminded his readers that faith without works is dead. The same might be said of love. At the end of a sermon by Dr. Harry Ironside, the congregation was singing, “OH HOW I LOVE JESUS.” As they sang softly, a skid row derelict made his way to the front of the church, coming all the way from the last pew. His clothes were ragged and dirty and he reeked with the smell of booze. A call was made for a personal worker to come and talk to him about Christ — but not one person moved. It was one thing to sing about love for Jesus and another to kneel beside this down and outer who had come to learn of Him. But real love for Christ reaches out to others — especially those in great need.

What can you do today that will demonstrate your love for Jesus? Will you be asked to feed His lambs, His sheep? Awaiting you in your day’s activities are people with hungry hearts. Some need the Gospel. Others are Christians who need help and encouragement. While you’re deciding whether or not to get involved, face the question: “Lovest thou me?”

Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-8-14_8-50-8.png

Today’s Devotional | August 14 | I CORINTHIANS 8 | Liberty

Memory Verse
But if any man love God, the same is known of him (I Corinthians 8:3).

Many Christians wrestle constantly with the question of what they can or cannot do in the Christian life. Their understanding of “the world” is fuzzy and they struggle to know the difference between dedicated Christian living and compromise with sin. Often it appears they have drawn an imaginary line as close to danger as possible and are crowding it continually, yet giving the impression they want to do it right. They run from one counselor to another seeking guidance, sometimes with the purpose of finding a Christian leader who will soothe their consciences by lowering the standard just a bit. They appear to want to get away with as much as they can and still make it to heaven.

There is another group of saints who are sincere and dedicated but confused. They honestly want to live for Christ and honor Him in their words and actions, but they have trouble knowing what to do in a number of situations. The clear-cut issues are no problem to them, but the “gray” areas keep them off balance. In the text above, Paul dealt with just such an issue. Christians were troubled about whether or not to eat meat that had been offered to idols. There was nothing wrong with the meat because the idols were but images made with hands. Still, there was an area of doubt.

Paul settled the “what to do” issue by appealing to their love for the Lord. Liberty would have allowed them to eat the meat. But how would this have affected those who didn’t really understand Christian liberty? Therefore liberty had to be tempered with love.

Let love temper Christian liberty and the “gray” will go away.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Today’s Devotional | August 15 | II CORINTHIANS 6:1-10 | Unfeigned Love

Memory Verse
By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned (II Corinthians 6:6).

“I love him, but…” often precedes a tirade of sanctified slander. Sometimes the gossip is guised as a prayer request or finished with a postscript: “I just thought you ought to know — I’ve said this in Christian love.”

But is this love? Not at all! It is Pseudo love — fake love — malice masquerading as love. And God hates it (Proverbs 6:19).

Genuine Christian love is not fake. It is unfeigned. Real love doesn’t have to be explained. Excuses are not needed when acts of heartfelt love are performed. All who hear or see Christian love in action know it is the real thing.

Love does not defend itself. It takes wrong rather than cast doubt on another. Love flows outward, seeking opportunities to serve rather than expecting to be served. Like Jesus, those who love live to minister, not to be ministered unto.

Paul’s love for Christ and the souls of men kept him going in all kinds of difficulties. Beatings, imprisonments, hunger, labours and distresses were his way of life. No matter. Christ and others were more important than his comfort or even his life.

No wonder churches were planted and multitudes saved through the ministry of this man of God. His was a service of love. Love unfeigned.

What is the quality of your love? Have you been pretending?

Allow the love of Christ to flow through you today. Others will notice and know it is love unfeigned.

https://www.jvim.com/todays-devotionals/

Do I hear an... ouch!?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 16 | II CORINTHIANS 8:1-15 | Proving Love

Memory Verse
I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love (II Corinthians 8:8).

A popular bumper sticker says: Honk! If You Love Jesus.”

Perhaps a better one would be: “Tithe! If You Love Jesus.”

A wealthy businessman and an attorney were traveling around the world. One morning as they walked along a country road in Korea, they saw a boy pulling a plow which was steered by an old man. The attorney was so moved by the scene that he took a picture of the plowing pair and later showed it to a missionary in the next village.

“It seems a very strange way to plow a field,” said the missionary, “but I happen to know the boy and the old man very well. They are very poor. However, when the little church was built here in the village, they wanted to contribute something. Having no money, they sold their ox and gave the money to the church building fund, and now, minus the valuable animal, they have to pull the plow themselves.”

The travelers looked at each other for a moment, and then the attorney said, “But what a stupendous sacrifice! Why did you allow it?”

“They did not feel that way about it,” replied the missionary. “They regarded it as a great joy that they had an ox to give to the Lord’s work.”

Giving is one way of proving our love for Christ. It is one thing to talk of love and loyalty to Christ and quite another to prove our love by digging deeply into our treasures and sharing them as He directs. Still, it is the only way to convert earthly treasures into wealth that lasts forever!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 17 | ROMANS 10:1-13 | No Difference

Memory Verse
For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him (Romans 10:12).

The Pacific Garden Mission News carried the following article: “Remember, the man on Skid Row is not different IN KIND from the rest of us. He is merely worse in degree. On Skid Row we see fallen man at his dismal worst. In the better neighborhoods we see him at his polished best, but he is the same man for all his disguise. In the gutter we find him chained by dope and drink and dirt. On the Avenue we find him bound by pride and greed and lust. To God there is no difference. He sees beyond appearances and He knows what is in every man. His remedy for every man is the same, a new birth and the impartation of a new kind of life. (See John 3:5,7.)

“The Gospel is the power of God operating toward the moral and spiritual transformation of man. And it works! Thousands will testify that it does. No man who wants to climb up out of his past and find a new and better life should overlook the Gospel. It is God’s way out, and there is no other.”

The Gospel meets men where they are; all men. And they are all found in the same need. The ground is level at the cross. All need to be saved and all can be saved.

But do we see all people the same?

Are we as likely to witness to the poor as to the rich? Are we as eager to reach those who have little and therefore can give little? Does our concern go out equally to people of all races? Do we long to share heaven with all people? Even those who are not kind to us?

In the sight of God there is no difference (see Romans 2:11).

Let us see all those we meet today as people in need of the Saviour.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
upload_2018-8-18_9-4-33.jpeg

Today’s Devotional | August 18 |

GALATIANS 5:22-26 | The Fruit of the Spirit

Memory Verse
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith (Galatians 5:22).

The Christian’s body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. This Divine Person within is not only a resident, but a resource. It is His purpose to reproduce the life of Jesus Christ in each of us. The Bible tells us what to expect when we allow that to happen: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance…” (Galatians 5:22-23).

What cannot be attained through trying to keep the law, becomes ours through yielding to the Holy Spirit.

Notice that love heads the list. In his commentary on the New Testament, Alford says of this text: “Love — is at the head, as chief.” He then refers the reader to I Corinthians 13 for a study of what love is and what it does.

It is the work of the Holy Spirit to speak of Christ. “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you” (John 16: 13-14).

No wonder the life that is surrendered to the Holy Spirit is filled with love! The Spirit of God within is at work conforming the Christian’s life to that which honors the loving Saviour.

Have you had difficulty loving others? Is the fruit of the Spirit missing from your life? Do you find yourself bitter and defeated instead of joyful and loving? Stop trying to pump-up love. Yield to the Holy Spirit and allow His fruit to be evident in you!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By love Gal 513.jpg

Today’s Devotional | August 19 | GALATIANS 5:1-15 | Faith Working by Love

Memory Verse
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love (Galatians 5:6).

The church at Galatia was a troubled church. At one time it had been flourishing. Love had lived there. The bond between Paul and these Christians had been so strong that he said they would have been willing to pluck out their eyes to give them to him had that been called for or helpful. Now they were torn by strife.

False teachers had come to Galatia and had confused the church. They hovered between law and grace, not knowing or experiencing real Christian liberty. While claiming to adhere to the law in an effort to attain righteousness, they had forsaken the truth. Fellowship had disappeared in this legalistic atmosphere and they had become Christian cannibals — eating away at one another’s reputations.

Sadly, these Christians, in trying to become more righteous, had missed the point of God’s great plan. The law had been but a schoolmaster to bring them to Christ. To retreat back to the law would not bring righteousness — Christ had died to deliver them from the law. Their need now was to allow the Holy Spirit to produce works of love through them. Faith had come in response to God’s love. Now they must stop trying to do through the law what God intended to bring about as a result of their faith.

Perhaps the reason for your failure in the Christian life has been your legalistic approach: “Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?” (Galatians 3:3). It is time to get back to the basics of salvation. Success lies in faith which works by love!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 20 | I CORINTHIANS 13:1-3 | Love Is Powerful

Memory Verse
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal (1 Corinthians 13:1).

All Christian service is powerless without love.

No matter how you speak — you are weak without love. No matter your words — they are worthless without love. Eloquence may move men and nations for political causes, but in Christian work even the ability to speak as an angel cannot bring true success without love.

Spiritual gifts are useless apart from love. The exercise of God-given gifts will be empty of edification unless love is present. Even faith is unable to move hearts when moving mountains without love.

Sacrifice without love is senseless. It has been said: “You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.” What may be missed is the lack of purpose in a gift that is given without love. Even martyrdom — for the sake of martyrdom or making a name — accomplishes nothing of lasting value!

This is the century of tools and gimmicks. More means of getting the Gospel to the world exist today than ever before. Bible schools and colleges for training Christian soldiers abound. Printing presses produce attractive literature, written to capture interest and convince all skeptics. Radio and television make it possible to preach the message to every corner of the globe. Still, millions remain unreached.

Why?

Could it be a lack of love? Logistics, without love, fail! Is love the missing ingredient in your teaching? In your preaching? In your witnessing? In your home?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 22 | I CORINTHIANS 13:8-13 | Love Is Permanent

Memory Verse
Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away (1 Corinthians 13:8).

Love will never become obsolete.

Some gifts are described here as temporary. But not love.

Our love for Christ and for the saints will increase through the ages of eternity. John Newton wrote:

“When we’ve been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun;
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we first begun.”

Not only is love permanent while other gifts are temporary, it is superior to faith and hope: “And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity” (I Corinthians 13:13).

A day will come when faith will be lost in sight. We will see our Saviour face to face:
“Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen” (Revelation 1:7).

Hope that lifts our eyes daily above the struggles of life as we await His return, will be unnecessary when Jesus comes again. In that day all will be perfect. There will be no reason to look for a better day. Hope will be a relic of bygone days. We will be with Him: “Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and .so shall we ever be with the Lord” (I Thessalonians 4:17).

But love will endure.

Love lasts. Better enjoy it now. It’s going to be in style forever!

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today’s Devotional | August 24 | I TIMOTHY 6:1-12 | The Love of Money

Memory Verse
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows (1 Timothy 6:10).

“Money is the root of all evil” is the common misquoting of 1 Timothy 6:10: Here, as in other areas of life, leaving out love perverts truth. The truth is: “…the love of money is the root of all evil”.

The word translated love in this verse means lust. A lust for money is the root of all evil. In Alford’s commentary on the New Testament, he quotes Chrysostom on this verse as follows: “Lusts are thorns: and as among thorns, whenever one touches them, one’s hands are bloodied and wounds are made; so he who falls among lusts shall suffer the same and shall surround his soul with griefs.”

Only eternity will reveal how many have suffered as a result of lusting for money. Families have been neglected, friends lost, futures sacrificed and lives taken all because of the love of money.

If you make money your goal, you are certain to be disappointed. If you do not get a large amount of money in life you will be disappointed because you will think you would have found happiness had you done so. If you do acquire a large amount of money, you will be disappointed because you will have discovered that money doesn’t satisfy. Either way you lose!

Money and all it can buy is tied to time. A dying queen once cried, “Millions in money for an inch of time.” She should have gladly given her wealth for another day. But money cannot buy time when that day arrives.

A few follow the advice of Jesus and will meet their treasures later. Money or the Master, which will it be?

Upvote 0