• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

sorry im sure there are tons of threads like this...

brokenwings27

Jun 16, 2007
Michigan, USA
✟15,287.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
hi.. there are probably a couple threads like this out there,but i dont have time to look through everything.
i'm wondering if anyone can help me... a very dear friend of mine does drugs... he mostly smokes pot, but he does other stuff from time to time like meth or other stuff... i wanna help him, but i dont know how... he's been doing them more lately, and he says hes under a lot of stress and he just doesnt know how to deal with it anymore...
is there any way i can help him... i feel so helpless and i want to help him so badm but i just dont know what to do...=[

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
wow...just be his friend and be a christian...be love. Christ is love, Christ is in us...WE ARE LOVE. Just stick by him and stand with him. Hold his hand when he needs it and just be his friend. I don't think there is much you can say to someone who does drugs that won't drive them away from you faster than a rabbit on steroids. Telling someone repeatedly that drugs are wrong and they will die or go to jail or whatnot just doesn't fly well with the drug doer. (been there, done that, both sides: the teller and the told). Be compassionate, be loving, and never fall for the same trap.

Upvote 0

ww2pigeon

Jul 21, 2008
Michigan
✟7,917.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would speak to him, and let him know I care about him. I would also let him know that I am very worried about his use. I would speak to him about going into treatment. Tell him you believe that it has gone passed recreational use.
My advice to you, is to not let your friendship with this person become so all consuming in your life that you stop doing what you need to do for yourself. You might want to go to some Alan-on meetings to find some support for yourself.
It is his responsibility to take the action needed to get the help for himself. Chances are he is not going to be open to what you are telling him and that is hard. Because you will need to step back and allow him to use until he is willing to stop.

Father I ask that you bless, this person with your strength and wisdom on how to handle their friend. In Jesus Name, Amen. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Zyphyr

Jul 26, 2008
Small town in Ohio
Visit site
✟15,150.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
Don't bring the bible to him is all I can say. Keep your religion inside your own head. You can do it in the name of jesus, god, jehovah, whomever you wan just leave religion out of it. That was always the worst thing for me when someone was trying to get me to stop using drugs. I was thinking...come on man, your trying to get me to stop using drugs that make me feel good and sometimes see things that are not really there by telling me some old jewish folklore about an invisible man living in the sky?
And I still stick to my guns when I say that faith can be lost. Although I call that enlightenment, most christians I know call it the devil or being tempted or tested.
And for the drug addict faith in an invisible being is the worst thing to have. All it takes is someone like me to come along and turn him away from the "light". and BAM...he would start using again.But if your only going to get him to stop if he wants to. ahhh the joys of being an addict.

Upvote 0