United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
California coronavirus: What the state is doing right - CNN

Within weeks of the Grand Princess cruise ship arriving off the California coast -- an early harbinger of the coming coronavirus pandemic -- Gov. Gavin Newsom issued the first statewide mandatory restrictions in the United States.

He ordered California's nearly 40 million residents to stay home to help combat the outbreak, but he didn't stop there.
While many states scramble for desperately needed equipment and supplies, Newsom this week announced a deal for millions of masks for health care workers, and though the state is still battling the outbreak, it finds itself in a position to donate hundreds of ventilators to hospitals across the country.
California and New York -- the nation's hardest hit state -- had about the same number of coronavirus cases in the first week of March, according to Covid Tracking Project. By Wednesday morning, California had more than 17,000 cases compared to nearly eight times that in New York, or more than 140,000 cases. The Golden State has 452 deaths to New York's more than 5,000.
That is a city compared to a large state with large cities in it.

They are sending vents to New York, Illinois and New Jersey and probably more.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Within weeks of the Grand Princess cruise ship arriving off the California coast -- an early harbinger of the coming coronavirus pandemic -- Gov. Gavin Newsom issued the first statewide mandatory restrictions in the United States.

He ordered California's nearly 40 million residents to stay home to help combat the outbreak, but he didn't stop there.
While many states scramble for desperately needed equipment and supplies, Newsom this week announced a deal for millions of masks for health care workers, and though the state is still battling the outbreak, it finds itself in a position to donate hundreds of ventilators to hospitals across the country.
California and New York -- the nation's hardest hit state -- had about the same number of coronavirus cases in the first week of March, according to Covid Tracking Project. By Wednesday morning, California had more than 17,000 cases compared to nearly eight times that in New York, or more than 140,000 cases. The Golden State has 452 deaths to New York's more than 5,000.

Starts with a leader who recognizes a threat, makes the difficult decisions early and promptly martials resources to address it.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

All of that spending is at the expense of the people he put out of work, many who have become homeless. California gets a lot more sun than New York at this time of year and it is way more likely that God's beautiful ball of fire produced a lot more vitamin D among Californians than it did in gloomy New York (gloomy by comparison).

Correlation isn't causation. Authoritarian schemes have never resulted in better health.

Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
All of that spending is at the expense of the people he put out of work, many who have become homeless. California gets a lot more sun than New York at this time of year and it is way more likely that God's beautiful ball of fire produced a lot more vitamin D among Californians than it did in gloomy New York (gloomy by comparison).

Correlation isn't causation. Authoritarian schemes have never resulted in better health.
you seem to be all over the place depending on who's policy it is. then all i have to do is look to your presented political party and it all makes sense.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
you seem to be all over the place depending on who's policy it is. then all i have to do is look to your presented political party and it all makes sense.

No, I'm pretty consistent. Authoritarian responses are generally worse than the disease they claim to cure.

I belong to no political party.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

That is not an explanation. Florida gets plenty of sunshine and is catching up to California which is much larger in size. Louisianna has almost matched California, gets sunshine, and is much smaller than California.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
That is not an explanation. Florida gets plenty of sunshine and is catching up to California which is much larger in size. Louisianna has almost matched California, gets sunshine, and is much smaller than California.

Catching up to California means that it has less cases by orders of magnitude than New York and hasn't yet caught up to California.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

There is not much sun here right now. It is raining, deary and depressing here. Where there should be heat, there is cold. The whole freaking earth is messed up. Winter is extending into summer, a virus to make us hide, earthquakes in places there were almost no earthquakes. I tell you if I was still an evangelical I would be believing Tim Lahaye and his left behind books.

I am glad Gov. Newsome is helping. I think he cared earlier about us than another Gov in another state that I won't mention but has NY in it's name :)

Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I agree, it's not the heat it is the UV rays which will get intense in the summer and tear the virus apart and shrink it. That won't happen until the sun gets closer in the extreme summer. I thought it was heat that helped to until I heard a doctor talk about needing UV rays not just heat to zap the virus outside. Some hospitals are using huge UV lamps to completely sterilize rooms.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Props to California, good job

maybe they can help the tent city homeless and the piles of human feces on their streets next. I’m sure the governor and strong senators have a plan and we will see the change

• Optimistic
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Governor Newsom gets my praise for his courage and decisive action, as he was the first Governor to order a lock down. Too bad that he did not run for the Dem nomination. We need someone like him leading the country in this time of crisis.

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, it's not the heat it is the UV rays which will get intense in the summer and tear the virus apart and shrink it. That won't happen until the sun gets closer in the extreme summer. I thought it was heat that helped to until I heard a doctor talk about needing UV rays not just heat to zap the virus outside. Some hospitals are using huge UV lamps to completely sterilize rooms.

Both I'd guess - UV breaks molecular bonds and low humidity and particularly elevated temperatures destroy a virus by dehydrating it.

Which is quicker will depend on how intense the UV is (at I'm assuming 254nm) and how low the humidity and high the temperature. Huge UV lamps may be very effective but you wouldn't want to risk walking around the Sun if it gave out that much UV I suspect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is not much sun here right now. It is raining, deary and depressing here. Where there should be heat, there is cold. The whole freaking earth is messed up. Winter is extending into summer, a virus to make us hide, earthquakes in places there were almost no earthquakes. I tell you if I was still an evangelical I would be believing Tim Lahaye and his left behind books.

I am glad Gov. Newsome is helping. I think he cared earlier about us than another Gov in another state that I won't mention but has NY in it's name :)

I'm not a democrat and disagreed with the extremes California went to so early but I do have to agree that it definitely seemed to be the right decision at the right time, and California is seeing the benefit of it so kudos to your Governor for that.

• Friendly
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not a democrat and disagreed with the extremes California went to so early but I do have to agree that it definitely seemed to be the right decision at the right time, and California is seeing the benefit of it so kudos to your Governor for that.

Well I think everyone knows my view I think it was extreme and unneeded every where. Now we all live in the new Soviet union and today I am very depressed. It's raining out and we have a flood advisory, earthquakes are happening in places not thought of before, a virus that we hide from. It seems the end of everything. :( I was very sick this past spring and summer and had to stay in all the time and when I could go out I told my wife I never wanted to do that again and here I am again. I felt totally useless in the summer and now I feel useless again, I absolutely hate what they have done to us and how we freely gave everything away to the government

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well I think everyone knows my view I think it was extreme and unneeded every where. Now we all live in the new Soviet union and today I am very depressed. It's raining out and we have a flood advisory, earthquakes are happening in places not thought of before, a virus that we hide from. It seems the end of everything. :( I was very sick this past spring and summer and had to stay in all the time and when I could go out I told my wife I never wanted to do that again and here I am again. I felt totally useless in the summer and now I feel useless again, I absolutely hate what they have done to us and how we freely gave everything away to the government

We live rural and so aren't affected the same as more populous areas, and I agree not everywhere needed the extremes, and when they went after the faithful and such I was and still am disappointed...

I do think if this virus is as bad as they say, that in some respects it was good they kept the city populations out of the rural areas where there are far fewer resources. When the city people began fleeing my husband was ready to do whatever was necessary to keep them out (lol... just jokingly but the sentiment of wanting them to stay away with their diseases was definitely there.. )

Those in cities spew nothing but vitriol about us and treat us like second class citizens until they need somewhere to run and my husband didn't think they deserve our shelter after all they continually say in hatred. I'm thinking it shows a lack of Christian love for ones enemies on his part, perhaps something he needs to work on.

But I don't think this is the end... regardless. It's a change and shows the weather's definitely changing but it's not yet the end. Plus Jesus has already declared the victory; knowing the end is a good thing, because we have hope and joy, not fear. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
We live rural and so aren't affected the same as more populous areas, and I agree not everywhere needed the extremes, and when they went after the faithful and such I was and still am disappointed...

I do think if this virus is as bad as they say, that in some respects it was good they kept the city populations out of the rural areas where there are far fewer resources. When the city people began fleeing my husband was ready to do whatever was necessary to keep them out (lol... just jokingly but the sentiment of wanting them to stay away with their diseases was definitely there.. )

Those in cities spew nothing but vitriol about us and treat us like second class citizens until they need somewhere to run and my husband didn't think they deserve our shelter after all they continually say in hatred. I'm thinking it shows a lack of Christian love for ones enemies on his part, perhaps something he needs to work on.

But I don't think this is the end... regardless. It's a change and shows the weather's definitely changing but it's not yet the end. Plus Jesus has already declared the victory; knowing the end is a good thing, because we have hope and joy, not fear. :)

The Patriot act, something totally unneeded to fight terrorism and something which targeted US and not terrorists, and which was claimed to sunset...it's still here. And the spying on us is worse now than when they first passed that law. So, this is going to now be the new normal.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Patriot act, something totally unneeded to fight terrorism and something which targeted US and not terrorists, and which was claimed to sunset...it's still here. And the spying on us is worse now than when they first passed that law. So, this is going to now be the new normal.

I hope not but do believe your correct.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hope not but do believe your correct.

Part of this, if not most, is our fault for being so docile when the government does stupid things.

Politician: "Terrorists want to kill your mom so we need to track your every movement and listen to your phone calls."
Citizen: "Sounds good. I've got nothing to hide."

Politician:"Viruses want to kill your grandmother so we need an app that will alert the authorities if you cough in public."
Citizen: "Phew! It's about time you had a helpful idea."

• Winner
Upvote 0