someone should translate the Lutheran fathers from ecclesiastical Latin into English

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For some reason only Johann Gerhard is translated but all the other greats like Abraham Calov, Hulsemann, are not translated into English. I would if I could but that's not my specialty; I'm only good at Semitic languages like Arabic; this I think is one reason why so many people are Reformed . Since the Reformed a lot of them at least were from Scotland and the surrounding area they wrote in English, most Americans then followed that since they could read the "Fathers" in English. The Lutherans in America in the 1800s had high hopes for the spread of Lutheranism but if you look at the South today we obviously lost badly to the baptists and Presbyterians, (nothing against those denoms). I would say we exclude people because we come off like an "ethnic" church like the Eastern Orthodox to ordinary Americans, because the writings are not in English; too much German untranslated too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radicchio

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For some reason only Johann Gerhard is translated but all the other greats like Abraham Calov, Hulsemann, are not translated into English. I would if I could but that's not my specialty; I'm only good at Semitic languages like Arabic; this I think is one reason why so many people are Reformed . Since the Reformed a lot of them at least were from Scotland and the surrounding area they wrote in English, most Americans then followed that since they could read the "Fathers" in English. The Lutherans in America in the 1800s had high hopes for the spread of Lutheranism but if you look at the South today we obviously lost badly to the baptists and Presbyterians, (nothing against those denoms). I would say we exclude people because we come off like an "ethnic" church like the Eastern Orthodox to ordinary Americans, because the writings are not in English; too much German untranslated too.
Greek Orthodox here. One of the problems is that the translator is probably going to be doing this for free and even paperback prints are going to be small numbers. This is a common problem for translators. For example, there are works from the Russians exiled in Paris during the early 20th century that were written in French that have never been professionally translated into English. For the size of a theological audience, you might be best learning German. Even the LCMS, finally printed their first English hymnal in 1912. So the Saxons had been in the US for 60 years before they first printed an English hymnal.

A non-religious example is the Beilstein's Organic Chemistry was finally translated into English in 1963 during it's fifth printing. If you were a chemist or chemical engineer, German was a pre-requisite for organic chemistry. Thankfully, when I was in college in the 1980s, the school didn't require German but anyone specializing in organic chemistry still ran around with a Beilstien German-English dictionary. A normal German-English dictionary wasn't worth it because it was so scientific.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Repristination Press works on such projects. The LCMS was going back through the German material a few years ago and doing some fresh translation. Both pick favorites. As Psalti mentioned, there's not a great market for the material so there's no real impetus to work on something you don't have a use for.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Repristination Press works on such projects. The LCMS was going back through the German material a few years ago and doing some fresh translation. Both pick favorites. As Psalti mentioned, there's not a great market for the material so there's no real impetus to work on something you don't have a use for.
I agree and it's kind of shameful.

The entire Reformed theological revival is based on the mountains of republished theological works from Puritan and Reformed thinkers. Piper, Sproul, etc all started publishing works based in this tradition and Sproul started his own publishing company which he turned over to Reformation Heritage Books. 90% of my fairly large library is Puritan Reformed.

Confessional Lutheranism will take longer to fade away but it will if it doesn't find a way to reach people where their at.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Hans Martin Bart, Elert, Ebeling seem to be important

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Greek Orthodox here. One of the problems is that the translator is probably going to be doing this for free and even paperback prints are going to be small numbers. This is a common problem for translators. For example, there are works from the Russians exiled in Paris during the early 20th century that were written in French that have never been professionally translated into English. For the size of a theological audience, you might be best learning German. Even the LCMS, finally printed their first English hymnal in 1912. So the Saxons had been in the US for 60 years before they first printed an English hymnal.

A non-religious example is the Beilstein's Organic Chemistry was finally translated into English in 1963 during it's fifth printing. If you were a chemist or chemical engineer, German was a pre-requisite for organic chemistry. Thankfully, when I was in college in the 1980s, the school didn't require German but anyone specializing in organic chemistry still ran around with a Beilstien German-English dictionary. A normal German-English dictionary wasn't worth it because it was so scientific.
appreciate your insight

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
thanks

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking maybe we should just go back to everyone writing in Latin that way there's no need to learn German, English, or Swedish!! Think about it.....
Such a barbarian language... Greek for everyone! :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums