Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
My name is Gerlinde, and I live in Reinickendorf, a suburb of Berlin. I had been a member of the LDS Church since my childhood, and was excommunicated there (that was in 1992) because I was different.
After I had left the Mormons, the best that had ever happened to me, I visited Christian and non-Christian faith communities, including a mosque, a synagogue, and participated in a ritual of the Wicca. In every religion I found something beautiful and good, but also bad and ugly. That's why I became a freethinker.
Today, I have come to the conclusion that every religion must develop further. There is new knowledge, more knowledge about nature and religion, more knowledge about the Bible, the Torah and the Koran.
An example:
The Bible says that women should be silent in the church. Looking at the context of these verses, one understands that it is not a matter of forbidding women to talk (women were even apostles and leaders in the early Church), but to concentrate on the essential; The message.

Last edited:

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My name is Gerlinde, and I live in Reinickendorf, a suburb of Berlin. I had been a member of the LDS Church since my childhood, and was excommunicated there (that was in 1992) because I was different.
After I had left the Mormons, the best that had ever happened to me, I visited Christian and non-Christian faith communities, including a mosque, a synagogue, and participated in a ritual of the Wicca. In every religion I found something beautiful and good, but also bad and ugly. That's why I became a freethinker.
Today, I have come to the conclusion that every religion must develop further. There is new knowledge, more knowledge about nature and religion, more knowledge about the Bible, the Torah and the Koran.
An example:
The Bible says that women should be silent in the church. Looking at the context of these verses, one understands that it is not a matter of forbidding women to talk (women were even apostles and leaders in the early Church), but to concentrate on the essential; The message.
Hello Gerlinde24, welcome to CF. Peace in Christ :)

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An example:

Hello Gerlinde24. Welcome to Christian Forums! I know you'll find a lot to talk about here with all kinds of people who hold all kinds of viewpoints. As a Christian philosopher myself, I can appreciate the finer points of wanting to 'explore' various ideas, particularly those pertaining to religion. I hope you'll indeed have some productive conversation in these forums, even with those of us who hold exclusively to the Christian faith. :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello Gerlinde ,
Welcome to the forums ,and hope you find much that helps you develop your souls purpose .
I too went looking here and there , studied most religions and found a great deal in common between early hinduism (Aveda )and Christianity .
Now while being 'interested still ,Jesus is my only focus ,the One who gives me strength and Light .

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An example:

Hello; Gerlinde;
welcome to CF; May the Lord Jesus guide you here as well as in the world; and may you find friends and what ever you need from the Lord here. I do have a question for you; do you like music--Praise & Worship music? Well we have a new forum here at CF just for P&W music and at the top is a directory of other Christian music threads around CF; come and take a look!:wave:

Praise and Worship Music

images

To The

238348_da04309d434d67254a1115a692df42c4.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
Welcome, gerlinde! I hope you have a lot of fun and are seldomly banned.

I am not here to "make trouble", but to exchange myself, also critically, about religion in general, and Christianity in particular.

I do have a question for you; do you like music--Praise & Worship music? Well we have a new forum here at CF just for P&W music and at the top is a directory of other Christian music threads around CF; come and take a look!:wave:

I love music because, in a good sense, it can have something "magical". It can lead us into strange worlds without leaving the room. It can heal our souls (and sometimes our bodies), from the wounds that have been added to us.
When I was with the Mormons, I heard a lot of the tabernacle choir, as well as classical music. The love for classical music has remained, the love for the tabernacle choir has disappeared.
To your actual question.
I watched BibleTV on TV sometimes. A free-to-air television broadcast, which offers entertainment, such as "highway to heaven", as well as worship, sermons and music transmissions, where religious songs are sung.
That is NOT my taste!
For me, much of it sounds too preachy, too happy, too compulsive. And I do not like that! Whoever was with the Mormons or another sect knows what I am talking about.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; good to see you; God bless His Word to you. In a way you are right: if you really want to know more about what the Bible says and teaches about the Lord Jesus Christ and the message of the Gospel, it's best to read it directly yourself. :)

John's Gospel is a wonderful book of the Bible to get to know well. John chapter 3 is about the new birth. John 3.16 contains a great summary of the Gospel. John's First Epistle (5 chapters; not a long book) contains a strong message about cleansing and assurance of faith in the Son of God.

God bless His Word to you. :prayer:

(Reading the Bible in more than one language can help also!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi; good to see you; God bless His Word to you. In a way you are right: if you really want to know more about what the Bible says and teaches about the Lord Jesus Christ and the message of the Gospel, it's best to read it directly yourself. :)

I was talkin about Christian Music in this Bible Broadcast. Not about the Bible itself. And, BTW, I guess, that the Bible had some good thoughts, but I didn't believe in any kind of deity. But I'm very spiritual.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was talkin about Christian Music in this Bible Broadcast. Not about the Bible itself. And, BTW, I guess, that the Bible had some good thoughts, but I didn't believe in any kind of deity. But I'm very spiritual.
A lot of ppl sing the Psalms (which are also full of Christ) :)

Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
A lot of ppl sing the Psalms (which are also full of Christ) :)

I am not talking about psalms or chorale chants of the Middle Ages, but of modern Christian "pop culture", of songs that can be heard on Bible TV and sing along. Or the music on the channel of Jimmy Swaggart, which can also be heard in Germany. The lyrics are so naive-childish, so pious that I feel sick. Who writes these texts, one should show once, how really good texts are written, which are catchy and nevertheless intelligent.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not talking about psalms or chorale chants of the Middle Ages, but of modern Christian "pop culture", of songs that can be heard on Bible TV and sing along. Or the music on the channel of Jimmy Swaggart, which can also be heard in Germany. The lyrics are so naive-childish, so pious that I feel sick. Who writes these texts, one should show once, how really good texts are written, which are catchy and nevertheless intelligent.
Gerhardt, Neander, Luther, etc., wrote a lot of good, Biblical church music! :)

Upvote 0

Gerlinde24

Oct 7, 2017
Reinickendorf
✟1,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Divorced
Gerhardt, Neander, Luther, etc., wrote a lot of good, Biblical church music! :)
I do not know the first two names, but Luther. Luther translated the Bible into German, disowned the Catholic Church, which he originally intended to reform, and was an anti-Semite.
And I know some of his texts of church members (for example, a firm castle is our God.) His lyrics, as far as I know them, are exactly what I do not like about this music.
Too preachy, delimiting, lawful and very German. It was not for nothing that Luther once said that one should "look at the people" to speak their language.
Hitler, by the way, used Luther for his anti-Semitic agitation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums