Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Brethren, peace of Christ be with you,

I was curious what your Church teaches you in regards to the Catholic faith. It seems to me that this forum tends to be more accepting of other faiths than other Protestants denominations. So I figured a thread on the Catholic faith would be the litmus test if this is indeed true or not. :)

Thank you in advance for your time.

Blessings,

-Davide

Reactions: alaurie

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rising_Suns said:

I was curious what your Church teaches you in regards to the Catholic faith. It seems to me that this forum tends to be more accepting of other faiths than other Protestants denominations. So I figured a thread on the Catholic faith would be the litmus test if this is indeed true or not. :)

Blessings,

-Davide

davide, welcome to WP!!! Yes, all are welcome here, although I would say this is a result of more modern teachings of our churches rather than strictly Wesleyan theology. Wesley did believe that the most important thing was that we all agree that Christ is our savior. He was not, however, very flattering of many RC doctrines. At this point, the general teachings of the United Methodist Church, of which I am a pastor, is that we are all one body in Christ--that you are our brothers and sisters and that we will all be together in Heaven after the judgement.
Having said that, we do teach doctrine that is contradictory to RC doctrine--we only have 2 sacraments, we do not believe confession to a preist is required, we do not beleive in Transubstantiation, and the like. But, you generally find here in WP that we love and welcome all of our Christian brothers and sister, of which we consider you to be one!!
Come by often

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
herev said:
davide, welcome to WP!!! Yes, all are welcome here, although I would say this is a result of more modern teachings of our churches rather than strictly Wesleyan theology. Wesley did believe that the most important thing was that we all agree that Christ is our savior. He was not, however, very flattering of many RC doctrines. At this point, the general teachings of the United Methodist Church, of which I am a pastor, is that we are all one body in Christ--that you are our brothers and sisters and that we will all be together in Heaven after the judgement.
Having said that, we do teach doctrine that is contradictory to RC doctrine--we only have 2 sacraments, we do not believe confession to a preist is required, we do not beleive in Transubstantiation, and the like. But, you generally find here in WP that we love and welcome all of our Christian brothers and sister, of which we consider you to be one!!
Come by often

Herev,
Thank you for your kind welcome.

This is interesting. As a Catholic, it is indeed rare to feel welcomed in a Protestant forum. Let me ask you this; is there concern in your Church that your charity and openess to others is causing your truth to be compromised?

A related question on this path of logic; what does your Church teach in regards to same-sex marriage and abortion?

Thank you again.

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:wave:
Rising_Suns said:
Herev,
Thank you for your kind welcome.
you're welcome!

This is interesting. As a Catholic, it is indeed rare to feel welcomed in a Protestant forum. Let me ask you this; is there concern in your Church that your charity and openess to others is causing your truth to be compromised?

absolutely--it is a source of controversy nearly all the time. Not all individual churches are as open certainly, but the denomination tends to be very open in its teachings

A related question on this path of logic; what does your Church teach in regards to same-sex marriage and abortion?
we teach that homosexuals are persons of worth and in need (as are we all) of God's grace, but marriage is not recognized between same sex individuals (officially, however there are some that are trying the system).
as to abortion, the church accepts that people sometimes make the choice to abort, but stresses the need to counsel and love those who have made such a choice.
Thank you again.

Blessings,

-Davide

no problem

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
herev said:
as to abortion, the church accepts that people sometimes make the choice to abort, but stresses the need to counsel and love those who have made such a choice.

no problem

Is your Church then against abortion in all cases?

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

kierkegaard214

Apr 25, 2005
San Diego
✟15,321.00
Faith
Methodist
Rising_Suns said:
Is your Church then against abortion in all cases?

Blessings,

-Davide

I got this from the UMC site. I think it's a good summary of the Methodist view.
Our belief in the sanctity of unborn human life makes us reluctant to approve abortion. But we are equally bound to respect the sacredness of the life and well-being of the mother, for whom devastating damage may result from an unacceptable pregnancy. In continuity with past Christian teaching, we recognize tragic conflicts of life with life that may justify abortion, and in such cases we support the legal option of abortion under proper medical procedures. We cannot affirm abortion as an acceptable means of birth control, and we unconditionally reject it as a means of gender selection.

We oppose the use of late-term abortion known as dilation and extraction (partial-birth abortion) and call for the end of this practice except when the physical life of the mother is in danger and no other medical procedure is available, or in the case of severe fetal anomalies incompatible with life. We call all Christians to a searching and prayerful inquiry into the sorts of conditions that may warrant abortion. We commit our Church to continue to provide nurturing ministries to those who terminate a pregnancy, to those in the midst of a crisis pregnancy, and to those who give birth. We particularly encourage the Church, the government, and social service agencies to support and facilitate the option of adoption.

Upvote 0

mrhedad

Jul 8, 2005
Leicestershire
✟141.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi I am a Methodist Minister in England & we meet regularly with our RC borthers & sisters a other denominations. I have just led a Bible study for 2 of my cell groups about other denominations & the discussions about RC lasted longest! Probablyt because there are so many differences ie transubstantion, Mary & saints.
Also as part of my training I had to work alongside & study with RC priests to be & this led to much heate didscussion, BUT a huge sense of oness too - that which seperates us is minute when compared to what unites us - CHRIST!!
God bless you

Reactions: Diane_Windsor
Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
kierkegaard214 said:
I got this from the UMC site. I think it's a good summary of the Methodist view.
Our belief in the sanctity of unborn human life makes us reluctant to approve abortion. But we are equally bound to respect the sacredness of the life and well-being of the mother, for whom devastating damage may result from an unacceptable pregnancy. In continuity with past Christian teaching, we recognize tragic conflicts of life with life that may justify abortion, and in such cases we support the legal option of abortion under proper medical procedures. We cannot affirm abortion as an acceptable means of birth control, and we unconditionally reject it as a means of gender selection.

We oppose the use of late-term abortion known as dilation and extraction (partial-birth abortion) and call for the end of this practice except when the physical life of the mother is in danger and no other medical procedure is available, or in the case of severe fetal anomalies incompatible with life. We call all Christians to a searching and prayerful inquiry into the sorts of conditions that may warrant abortion. We commit our Church to continue to provide nurturing ministries to those who terminate a pregnancy, to those in the midst of a crisis pregnancy, and to those who give birth. We particularly encourage the Church, the government, and social service agencies to support and facilitate the option of adoption.

and that sums it up!

Upvote 0
John Wesley was actually an Anglican all his life. He was devoted to holiness. He believed that in a second work of grace where the heart was circumcised, which he called entire sanctification. He believed that Mary was always virgin. He translated Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis into The Christian Pattern. His belief about prevenient grace, and sin are very close, if not the same as the Catholic Church.

Reactions: Rising_Suns
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Rising_Suns said:

Hi Davide :wave: Welcome! :hug:

Your observations of Methodist's acceptance of Catholics are part of the reasons I am one :) I left a protestant denomination that I got involved in once partly because of predjuice against Catholics (as well as a lot of others) :sigh:

bigsierra said:
John Wesley was actually an Anglican all his life. He was devoted to holiness. He believed that in a second work of grace where the heart was circumcised, which he called entire sanctification. He believed that Mary was always virgin. He translated Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis into The Christian Pattern. His belief about prevenient grace, and sin are very close, if not the same as the Catholic Church.

Did you know Methodists, along with Lutherans and Anglicans, are sometimes referred to as "Catholic lite"? Sometimes benignly, sometimes not, depending on who is doing the name calling ;) A good many Methodist believe in the Real Presence at Communion, although not in as strictly a defined manner as Transubstantiation ...that may be the part of the reason for the nickname? Maybe some of the Methodist pastors can explain the nickname.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I grew up in a small town and the Catholic and Methodist churches worked together quite well and often.

One time my Mom was in the hospital and the nurses wondered what was going on as she had a Methodist minister, the District Superintendent and a Catholic priest praying together over her .

Upvote 0

greenonion

a child of God
May 19, 2005
U.S.A
✟547.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Methodists are one of the most accepting denominations there are. I've known many Methodists who have adopted Catholic beliefs and practices yet are accepted and identify themselves as Methodists. My old pastor had a statue of St. Francis outside his office and quite a few Methodists cross themselves before and after prayer.

Upvote 0

intrepid

Nov 24, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,523.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rising_Suns said:

Blessings,

-Davide

And also with you...

You should read our 25 Articles of Religion. Some make very specific references to Catholic doctrine; no. 14, for example, is a rejection of the "Romanish" idea of purgatory, while no. 18 deals with the Lord's Supper (communion). Just type "Methodist Aritcles of Religion" on the Google search line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
intrepid said:
And also with you...

You should read our 25 Articles of Religion. Some make very specific references to Catholic doctrine; no. 14, for example, is a rejection of the "Romanish" idea of purgatory, while no. 18 deals with the Lord's Supper (communion). Just type "Methodist Aritcles of Religion" on the Google search line.
yes, and remember that these words were written centuries ago, and one of the articles of our constitition forbids any of the language in the articles from ever being changed, so the language is somewhat harsh and outdated

Upvote 0

Tumnus

Jul 16, 2005
Little Rock, AR
✟153.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While I love the Methodist church, RCC must have something going for it to produce people like John Paul II, Mother Teresa, G.K. Chesterton, Alvin Plantinga, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Peter Kreeft -- to name a few. Christ said that you can know a tree by its fruit. The fruit is pretty hard to deny.

Also, while I don't accept transubstantiation, I do think it leads to a more proper reverence for and attitude toward communion. I feel like in our local church, communion is treated a little too casually at times. I did think Peter Kreeft's comment regarding transubtantiation was pretty funny though -- "Jesus didn't say, 'Take and understand.' He said, 'Take and eat.'"

I hope there is a greater ecumenism in the future -- one based, as Kreeft has suggested, on Lewis' Mere Christianity and not some watered down thing (e.g., Christianity and water).

BTW, Arminians are not well accepted in some circles (denominations) either!

-T

Reactions: ps139
Upvote 0

JCrawf

Nov 6, 2004
✟12,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Being that I was Methodist for most of my life, there is one thing I will never do is say a harsh thing about the denomination, nor of John Wesley. I know the articles and the arguments regarding the differences of faith may be the main place we part, but our love for Christ is what greatly unites us.

I still get articles from the UMC organizations regarding what is going on in the denomination. May not always read them, but I do check them out from time to time. I also get daily quotes from Days of Wesley (gbgm-umc.org/sonorafirst/windex.html) that are quite interesting to read.

Two quotes from "Letter to a Roman Catholic" remain with me today concerning John Wesley:

"We ought, without this endless jangling about opinions, to provoke one another to love and to good works."

"Then if we cannot as yet think alike in all things, at least we may love alike."

Pax Tecum,

John

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have nothing but postive things to say about the UMC!! I was hired as the Pastors Secretary at my local Methodist church. Be being Catholic didnt seem to bother him or any of the congregation. They all accepted me warmly and treated me very respectfully. A year after i started being their Secretary their Youth Director quit and the Pastor came to me and asked if i was willing to take the job! I was then hired as the Youth Director of both the Jr. High and the Sr. High youth groups. After a year it got to be too much for me doing all 3 jobs and i asked if i can keep the jr. high youth group but i asked if they would be willing to hire a second youth director for the Sr. high youth group. My best friend, also Catholic was interested in the position and they hired her also!! They are very ecumenical and open to other denominations views. My boss, (The Methodist Pastor) frequently met with Pastors from the other denoms around town, including some of the Catholic Priests! The whole time I worked for their church they never expected me to come to their services. Every once in awhile the Youth were asked to lead the service and on those occasions of course I went to their service to support my Youth! It was a very positive experience for me working at the Methodist church and I never heard a bad word about Catholics! Nobody in the congregation ever had a problem with me being Secretary or with my friend and i being their Youth Directors! Thumbs up to the UMC!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.