Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
See what happens when you involve Marines!

As if members of other US military branches haven't embarassed us during times of war :doh: Remember Abu Ghraib?

Then of course there are the scandals that involved cheating football players at West Point (Army) and the rape scandal at the Air Force Academy. The vast majority of US Marines are good soldiers, and if it weren't for US Marines then we couldn't have possibly won the Pacific in WWII.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
As if members of other US military branches haven't embarassed us during times of war :doh: Remember Abu Ghraib?

Then of course there are the scandals that involved cheating football players at West Point (Army) and the rape scandal at the Air Force Academy. The vast majority of US Marines are good soldiers, and if it weren't for US Marines then we couldn't have possibly won the Pacific in WWII.

As a former Marine I like the vote of confidence but I suspect a nuke or two were the reason we won the Pacific in WWII.

Upvote 0
Diane_Windsor said:

I understand that. But if you had read my previous post I said I respect them and most of them are good. Autumnleaf is right we won because of the nuke.

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a former Marine I like the vote of confidence but I suspect a nuke or two were the reason we won the Pacific in WWII.

If the Marines hadn't taken strategic islands, etc. then we would not have planes to carry the nukes as far as Japan in my understanding :p Again, if we didn't have the Marines then we could not have dropped bombs on Japan and we would still be fighting the Japanese to this very day.

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

For some reason I think its funny so many people are getting worked up over it. Those guys were trying to kill the Marines and the Marines survived. Maybe a 'good job, I'm glad you made it through the battle' would be nice.

And if had been dead Marines being peed on by Afghans?

You do a disservice to your military heroes by offering them such blind, uncritical admiration.

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Theofane said:
It's astounding that no one will come to the defence of the Catholic Church with the zeal and dedication I'm seeing here.

Why would we? I don't have a whole lot of admiration for the US branch of the institution. And what are we supposed to be defending them over, anyways?

Upvote 0

PaulEBear

Only Believe!
Feb 18, 2012
Nevada
✟7,716.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
See what happens when you involve Marines!

Hey, Marines aren't taught to 'think' just to "DO"... Why else would we have earned the nickname "Jarhead"? Don't think that this is a one-time incident either - this one just happened to be caught on video and the clown that forwarded it home was disobeying orders as well.

On the other hand, if you haven't walked in their shoes, then you may want to consider them as well. You cannot judge the heart of a warrior until you have been one and done what they are asked to do. Perhaps you can reconsider if you were walking on patrol for hours and helping the local villagers rebuild a wall or clean up a wrecked home, repair a roof on a school, etc.. Then, these three 'bad guys' decide they're going to ambush you and kill you.... It would probably make you pretty hoppin' mad as Yosemite Sam would say.

That is part of the problem with the stupid conflict we are stuck in because these guys are trained to be 'warriors' and they are forced to be policemen instead. The inequity of training vs reality is extremely frustrating to say the least.

Yeah, what they did was really stupid. Getting caught doing it was even more stupid. Someone got it all on video.

Unfortunately, I didn't find the same reaction from Americans when the insurgents captured and tortured our troops, then dragged their burned and naked bodies through the streets for all to see. Or, when they captured the American civilian contractors, beheaded them and hung their bodies from a bridge again, for all to see.... We didn't have demonstrations and riots in the streets in fact, the silence was deafening.

Now, they're rioting and killing people over a couple of torn up Korans being burned with the rest of a bunch of paperwork. One would think we had nailed the Muslim messiah to a stake and burned him! They have no god, their book is the only tangible items that represents their 'god'. Many of them just look for a reason to 'hate' anyone who is not Muslim. Welcome to Satan's religion that is thriving and expanding on the ignorance of millions.

But, this too shall pass. I just hope that our corrupt government leaders will stop using our fine, young military men as their pawns to do their political bidding and wasting our tax dollars so they can have a "war"....

Paul

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 8, 2012
NC
✟7,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand that. But if you had read my previous post I said I respect them and most of them are good. Autumnleaf is right we won because of the nuke.

Wrong. The Japanese were getting ready surrender but, we ignored their overtures. Secretary of State James F. Byrnes and President Truman decided to use it to show the Soviets the powerful new weapon we had...

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
For some reason I think its funny so many people are getting worked up over it. Those guys were trying to kill the Marines and the Marines survived. Maybe a 'good job, I'm glad you made it through the battle' would be nice.

Would you have felt the same way if a group of Afghanis had been photographed urinating on the bodies of the US Marines they had just killed? If not, why not?

Upvote 0

4GodCountry

Sarah
Mar 4, 2012
Hephzibah, GA
✟7,679.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
They're Masochists.
As a former Marine I can tell you personally that they're there... unfortunately.
Not all Marines are bad people but, others are sick and join the military to use it as an outlet for their sick pleasures...

I've personally never met a single person in uniform who joined for an "outlet for their sick pleasures" so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I work with my fellow sailors and members of the other branches of the military, including marines, every day and while, yes, we all joined for different reasons; I'm pretty sure none of them signed up thinking "I'm going to get to do all kinds of nasty things now!"

Upvote 0
May 8, 2012
NC
✟7,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I've personally never met a single person in uniform who joined for an "outlet for their sick pleasures" so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I work with my fellow sailors and members of the other branches of the military, including marines, every day and while, yes, we all joined for different reasons; I'm pretty sure none of them signed up thinking "I'm going to get to do all kinds of nasty things now!"

Ask around the Infantry. Google military tattoos and look at how many of them are demonic and centered around Satan. I was in the Army (Rangers) and Marines (Infantry) and I knew many who joined only "to see action."

Me... I joined to help people. Once it became apparent that assisting the Afghan people was not the priority of the US, I asked for and received a Misconduct Discharge for refusing to fight.

Upvote 0

4GodCountry

Sarah
Mar 4, 2012
Hephzibah, GA
✟7,679.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
But when you tell me people joined to "see action;" I hear "fight for my country." I'm not saying there aren't some people in the military who may have a moral compass not pointing due north; but to just say that they joined to do horrible things to other people seems like a stretch to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Not everyone in the military is honorable or has honorable intentions but that's a moot point. The Army Times just ran an article on Soldiers raping other soldiers as a form of hazing, initiations into the unit or team... there are soldiers who have incredibly non-honorable intentions but the Army is trying to prevent these sort of things as is the U.S Military in general.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I commend you on your good hopes but I think that's a lost cause... there really are bad soldiers out there who want to do bad things given the opportunity, but it is simplistic to blame the entire force for these things.

I believe most soldiers really would try to do the right thing if they ever found their self in a dire situation or needed to choose. I have met few people I doubt would. That being said I have seen footage, heard stories that do prove that there really are bad people in the armed forces. There are terrorists, gang members in the Armed forces that join for no other purpose but to learn our techniques and SOP's learn how to use our weapons, learn how to kill people or learn how to kill us or kill their fellow soldiers the first chance they get to toss a grenade into the platoon huddle. It's sad but it happens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0