✟7,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Greetings all

I am stopping in to share my current view on the church and was wondering if there were any others here that were some kind weird protestant like me.

So I am unaffiliated with any of the high churches such as Rome, Orthodox Eastern, or Oriental. Guess that makes me a Protestant. I however find it fascinating that these churches have unbroken presbytery lines from the Apostles. I think that was Paul and the other Apostles original intent. The reason I haven't been keen on any of the high churches is because of some questionable induction over the years by the churches, at least I think. Obviously Paul was teaching to venerate the saints yet this is a big deal in high churches. I am not against venerating the saints, but by how much it is stressed and other such things that are stressed. I like good things, but saying that these are must and stressing them highly in practice is hard for me to accept.

Unlike most protestants I do not affirm the typical "faith alone" approach to salvation. Unless you me by Jesus' faith alone :D. I like the the more open canons of Catholicism and Orthodoxy, hey even a little bit of the Tawahedo tradition :D.

Are there any other weird people who aren't sure what they are?

Are you planning on starting your own pseudo-Roman Catholic church and remain a protestant or are you planning on joining one of those ancient Cburches?

"God or Jesus Christ can raise up sons of Abraham out of the pebbles"

Having an unbroken line of leadership going back to the 1st Century doesn't imply that those churches have more character.

Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Greetings all
I am stopping in to share my current view on the church and was wondering if there were any others here that were some kind weird protestant like me.
Are there any other weird people who aren't sure what they are?
I tend to use the 7 letters as being the traits a person has with God that determines what Church they are from. I would be from the 'hot/cold' Church, warmer now than I was 50 years ago. Labels can change traits at the drop of a hat. 'Orthodox' when it comes to observing Passover would have it being the first full moon after a new moon after the winter/summer equinox. Other version allow Passover to be within 14 days of that event. The difference is Passover happens in the 'winter' rather than ASAP in the 'summer'.
Using a few references to explain your 'current view' exposes many readers to material that could be new to them. When that happens, false doctrines show themselves for what they are, quite quickly. The result is a 'stronger Church'.
This covers Rome's full 500-year rule, 63AD-450AD. 325AD can be used to say the 'original Bible' was assembled, original Greek for the NT, original Hebrew for the OT. Revelation was written by 120AD, that writer was the only one in the Bible that had the information that was held back from Daniel. 'We' (21st century believers) have that same material and in an e-bible makes research as easy as normal reading. Revelation is the 'final chapter' that uses many long passages in the rest of the Bible to explain just how that event plays out.
450AD there was a Latin version being used, that is when the truth fell away as the book was meant for 'the people' rather than 'the Leaders'.
Da:8:9-12:
And out of one of them came forth a little horn,
which waxed exceeding great,
toward the south,
and toward the east,
and toward the pleasant land.
And it waxed great,
even to the host of heaven;
and it cast down some of the host and of the stars to the ground,
and stamped upon them. ((Peter and Paul))
Yea,
he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, ((Pontus and Jesus))
and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, (( Jesus dying))
and the place of his sanctuary was cast down. ((Rome acting for God in 70AD))
And an host was given him against the daily sacrifice by reason of transgression, ((Prayer))
and it cast down the truth to the ground; (change between 120AD and 450AD))
and it practised,
and prospered.

The next big changes in the RCC was the 1300s and the Reformation Wars against 'Romans:13 Christians' and the RCC in Northern Europe. For instance, the Pope's 'Swiss Body Guards' are really the Pope's Prison Guards, and have been for the whole of the last 500 years, as in 1523AD.
Fast-forward to the Protestant Reformation Wars against the RCC, the 30 years war was Christians in the north against Christians in the south. One side has to be 'false Christians', I went for the ones being funded by profits of the Dutch Slave Trade as being the 'false Christian side':
Martin Luther - Wikipedia
Martin Luther; 10 November 1483[2] – 18 February 1546) was a German priest, theologian, author, composer, former Augustinian friar,[3] and is best known as a seminal figure in the Protestant Reformation and as the namesake of Lutheranism.

Luther was ordained to the priesthood in 1507. He came to reject several teachings and practices of the Roman Catholic Church; in particular, he disputed the view on indulgences.
In 1501, at age 17, he entered the University of Erfurt, which he later described as a beerhouse and whorehouse.[18] He was made to wake at four every morning for what has been described as "a day of rote learning and often wearying spiritual exercises."[18] He received his master's degree in 1505.[19]
(in part)

Thirty Years' War - Danish Intervention 1626-1629 DOCUMENTARY
In the previous episode of our animated historical documentary series on the Thirty Years' War we have covered Bohemian Rebellion and the battle of the White Mountain between the Catholic and Protestant forces. This new episode will see Denmark under its king Christian IV joining the war on the Protestant side and fighting a 4-year campaign against the Catholic League and Holy Roman empire armies led by Johann Tilly and Albrecht von Wallenstein. The battles of Lutter and Stralsund represented the peak of this part of the Thirty Years' War.

Gustavus Adolphus - Breitenfeld 1631 - 30 YEARS' WAR DOCUMENTARY
Another episode in our animated historical documentary series on the Thirty Years' War and Gustavus Adolphus enters the field to fight for the Protestant cause. The Swedish King would fight against the Catholic commander Tilly at the battle of Breitenfeld

Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
"God or Jesus Christ can raise up sons of Abraham out of the pebbles"
Having an unbroken line of leadership going back to the 1st Century doesn't imply that those churches have more character.
Ever try to match your relatives to the qualities defined in the 7 letters to the 7 churches?
If you are a member of the 12 Tribes, your path from 70AD to being at the river of living water in Eze:47 is just as detailed in Eze:36-39.
Eze:36:1:
Also, thou son of man,
prophesy unto the mountains of Israel,
and say,
Ye mountains of Israel,
hear the word of the LORD:
Eze:39:25-29:
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD;
Now will I bring again the captivity of Jacob,
and have mercy upon the whole house of Israel,
and will be jealous for my holy name;
After that they have borne their shame,
and all their trespasses whereby they have trespassed against me,
when they dwelt safely in their land,
and none made them afraid.
When I have brought them again from the people,
and gathered them out of their enemies' lands,
and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations;
Then shall they know that I am the LORD their God,
which cause them to be led into captivity among the heathen:
but I have gathered them unto their own land,
and have left none of them any more there.
Neither will I hide my face any more from them:
for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel,
saith the Lord GOD.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟130,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you do not affirm "faith alone," then you aren't Protestant at all. There is such a thing as Non-Denominational, who do not identify with any of the ones you mentioned.
Depends on what distinctive marks are seen as being protestant, as rejection of faith alone definitely falls outside of traditional protestant traditions but the term itself can simply be understood as a catch-all for "Christian outside of Catholic/Orthodox communion" rather than a positive declaration. If any belief is indisposable to protestantism, it is the belief in a "priesthood of all believers" rather than affirming or denying specific doctrine.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟124,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Depends on what distinctive marks are seen as being protestant, as rejection of faith alone definitely falls outside of traditional protestant traditions but the term itself can simply be understood as a catch-all for "Christian outside of Catholic/Orthodox communion" rather than a positive declaration. If any belief is indisposable to protestantism, it is the belief in a "priesthood of all believers" rather than affirming or denying specific doctrine.
I can see that, but the main focus of the development of Protestantism was soteriology. The Priesthood of Believers is certainly an important point, but that is only a "sub-doctrine," if you will, of a soteriological function necessarily leading to those implications.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟130,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can see that, but the main focus of the development of Protestantism was soteriology. The Priesthood of Believers is certainly an important point, but that is only a "sub-doctrine," if you will, of a soteriological function that leads to those implications.
I'm not sure how accurate of a characterization that is, as soteriology was only one point of departure. There were several underlying issues, the primary one being ecclesial and hermeneutical. The political disputes drove the separation, with the doctrinal disputes being exagerated by polemics. So I would mark the priesthood of all believers as a greater issue overall, since it was the challenge presented to the authority of the church that drove the whole conflict. Afterall, a major sticking point was Luther's willingness to go against a Papal bull. So the idea that there is an official authoritative doctrine(such as the solas) by which all protestants must abide, rather than protestantism being a rejection of the authority of the institutional church, seems amiss.

Upvote 0