thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Groovy said:
The Bible is equal to this.

How? :scratch:

Paul speaks of the scirptures as a tool . . something useful . .

How can a tool be equal to a person?

If it where still just Sacred Tradition, it would still just be the Bible, and the Bible is Sacred Tradition, since the Bible is made up of the Sacred Tradition.

Are you saying that all of Sacred Tradition is contained in the bible?

Let me ask you this . .

In the Early Church, you have admitted that all the Christians had were the Old Testament . .

Where were the teachings of the apostles in all that? The apostles came after the Old Testament?

If the apostles had never written anything down, are you saying all the teachings of Jesus would have vanished, and all we would have would be the Old Testament?

so it is the same thing. Without the Sacred Tradition, the church would have nothing.

Without Sacred Tradition . . yes I agree . . for all of the Church's teachings are contained within it . .

But how does that equate to the bible?

It seems to me that you are making a case for all of Sacred Tradition being contained within the Bible . . . That there is no such thing as oral Sacred Tradition .. . . am I right?

If not, what place do you see Oral Sacred Tradition playing in the Church?

Also, We do not have the right to say that God's main tool would not necessarily be needed by the church.

And where does it say in the bible that the bible is God's main tool?

Where does it this anywhere?

Where does Church teaching anywhere say this?

Also, the "useful"/"Helpful" depends on the translation you read :)

Oh . . not at all . . it depends on the original language . . not on a translation at all . . .

Here .. look at this again:
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Now look at the original word translated "profitable"
From Strong's Greek Dictionary:

G5624

ὠφέλιμος

ōphelimos

o-fel'-ee-mos

From a form of G3786; helpful or serviceable, that is, advantageous: - profit (-able).

There is nothing at all there that indicates necessity . . only that it is helpful, servicalbe, . . . as a tool is . .

Look again here:
G5624

ὠφέλιμος

ōphelimos

Thayer Definition:

1) profitable

Part of Speech: adjective

A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from a form of G3786

What does profitable mean?
From Webster's 1828 dictionary:

Profitable

PROF'ITABLE
, a. Yielding or bringing profit or gain; gainful; lucrative; as a profitable trade; profitable business; a profitable study or profession.

1. Useful; advantageous.

What was so profitable to the empire, became fatal to the emperor.

There is nothing that indicate necessity here . . only usefulness . . as a tool is . . .

When Jesus talked to people, what did he use? He used Scripture, the Law, the Prophets. (The bible)

Look again . . show me the places where, when He spoke to the people, the common people, he used scripture . . He used parables, stories . . but not scripture that I can remember . .

Also, what do we pattern our morals after? The Church? or the Bible?
We use the Bible of course.

No . . we pattern them after the Church's teachings . . the Church uses the bible as one of its tools to teach from . . for it is helpful, useful, profitable for doctrine, instruction in righteousness . .

But nothing in the bible says it is needed . .

Plesae show me in the bible where it says the bible is NECESSARY for these things?

I can't find it . .

But I can find where the Church is necessary!

The Church just interprets that Bible.

Which places it over scripture . .

Useful is in there, but so is thoroughly. Useful does not mean optional.

OK . . let's look at what useful means . .

I have a table . . on that table are 3 sources of light . . a lamp, candles and a flashlight . .

I am talking to you and I say, those candles are useful for light . .

Am I at all suggesting to you tha they are needful? Especially when there are other sources of light present?

To take the word "thoroughly" that occurs in the next verse and apply it to the verse we are discussing is to make gramatical nonsense of this passage . .

Tthe bible is one of the tools of equipping . . if one has a good understanding of its contents, its use, how to weild it, then they are thoroughly equipped . . and Paul is speaking in particular here to a Bishop . . one who is required to teach and lead the Church . . . If He did not have access to the bible, are you suggesting he could no longer effectively lead the flock under his care?

If you are, I have to strongly disagree . . If he did not have a bible, he could still teach, insruct, reprove, etc . .

Now look at this passage again:
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Paul is speaking to a Bishop regarding the usefulness of scripture for 4 things . .
  • doctrine
  • reproof
  • correction
  • instruction in righteousness

After these 4 things are mentioned, Paul goes onto say "that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. "

What thoroughly furnishes a man of God unto all good works? The scriptures?

OR Doctrine, Reproof, Correction, Instruction in Righteousness?

There is some room for debate about this . . :)

Useful: Full of use, advantage, or profit; producing, or having power to produce, good; serviceable for any end or object; helpful toward advancing any purpose; beneficial; profitable; advantageous; as, vessels and instruments useful in a family; books useful for improvement; useful knowledge;

Thoroughly: In a thorough manner; fully; entirely; completely

Also, Scripture is mentioned in the Bible 56 times, once in the OT and 55 times in the NT.

√Groovy
And how does any of that mandate an understanding of being NECESSARY ???

Candles are useful for light . .so are lamps . . so are flashlights . . :)

(by the way, what is the source of your definitions?)

Peace in Him!

Reactions: Paul S
Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Highway of Life said:
Okay, this is understandable, but how can you explain Acts 17:11?

HIghway
Because they were Jews. Their standard of convincing them was a little different. They searched the scriptures now reading it in a new light, through the lens of Oral Tradition- as we are to do. Nothing about Acts 17 supports the "bible only" theology.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Highway of Life said:
But I am assuming... please understand, it is only an assumption: that they must have wrote something. Even something that was not used in the current Bible today.
That's the problem though - there's no evidence to back up your assumption. One really must understand the way the ancients did things to understand where they're coming from. It wasn't a society of file cabinets full of papers, but one with a few cherished texts. People devoted their entire lives to transcribing the holy documents.

The NT that we have today is a result of letters to different communities (written before the gospels) as well as the gospels written to individual groups. The inital thought wasn't to sit and write all this down, but to go out and preach Christ. It was later, when communities were growing and problems needed to be addressed that Paul wrote. And following him was the accounts of Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John.

Upvote 0

Highway of Life

Radical Middle -- Spirit, Word and Church
Jul 13, 2004
In the middle of the road.
Visit site
✟16,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Shelb5 said:
Written account from who? Who would have written it?
Any one of the twelve apostles or any one of the many disciples who where evangelizing.

Shelb5 said:
No offense but you really don't know what you are talking about. Jesus is God- Jesus did not have to use scripture to convert anyone. Anything that he speaks is God's word because he is God, OT scripture did not/does not trump Him. That is a very false dichotomy, pitting Jesus’ oral word against OT scripture.
Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you. That is not what I meant. He (Jesus) quotes and teaches Scripture many times in the gospels.

Highway

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Groovy said:
"To see if what Paul said was true" i.e. if it alligned with Scripture, which, of course it did. They did not examine the Scripture to see if Paul's use of the Scripture was true. :)

Blessings in Christ
√Groovy
Are you suggesting that Paul did not use the Old Testament?

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Highway of Life said:
Very, very Old rugged paper ;)
Yep! They had.... you guessed it! SCRIPTURE!!! :D

What did they use? They used.... you guessed it! SCRIPTURE!!! :D i.e. Written Tradition, Sacred Tradition, Oral Tradition, Torah -- law -- and Prophetic books -- i.e. The books of the Prophets.... Scripture. Which IS the Bible today.:clap:

HoL In OnE
I think you need to adjust your glasses a little .. you missed the hole by a long shot . . you are in the sand trap right now my friend ;)

Show me just one place where it tells us in the bible that ALL Oral Sacred Tradition was written down in scripture?

I can show you where the bible says we are to hold fast to Tradition . .whether it is ORAL or written down! Obviously two forms of transmission . . not one . .

Peace in Him!

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Highway of Life said:
30 years after Jesus Died. Orally I suppose. But I am assuming... please understand, it is only an assumption: that they must have wrote something. Even something that was not used in the current Bible today.

Highway
Yes “they” did. There were tons of writings floating around, how were we then and are we now to know that what was written is indeed a true account? Does it come with a note saying as much signed by God?

The whole reason there was a canon 400 years later is because there were tons of writings such as the gospel of Thomas and the faithful did not know what to follow or they were believing error because of all the falsely written accounts. Those that didn’t make it in the canon…why? Because THE CHURCH, whom the deposit of faith was left with, cold not verify it as being true. What did they use to gauge which writings were true and which ones weren’t? They used the oral word that was passed down and preserved.

Here is how it works. Jesus taught the apostles, the apostles taught the first Christians converts after Christ ascended. They taught the next generation and so fourth. Over time God inspires men to write down this oral passing down of His truth.

The Church protects, enforcers, and perseveres this truth that was given to her by Christ, through His apostles. Only one of the ways they preserved the truth was by canonizing the written accounts that were true. They do have other ways to preserve the truth, canonizing the bible was not the only way, just one of the ways.

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Highway of Life said:
Any one of the twelve apostles or any one of the many disciples who where evangelizing.

Any writings that were composed that were truly from God- the Church canonized 400 years later. So there could have been some writings, yes but how was the faithful to know they were from God and true?

Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you. That is not what I meant. He (Jesus) quotes and teaches Scripture many times in the gospels.

Highway

Yeah, Jesus quoted scripture, so? How does that prove Sola Scripture? The Catholic Church quotes scripture too in the CCC; does that mean they are sola scripture also?

Jesus quoted scripture, yes but he also spoke things that were not written down at that. Are you saying that if what he said was not found in OT scripture that no one should have listened to Him?

Are you seeing how all this works now? Jesus spoke because he is God and what God says is true no mater if it be on paper or not. The Church speaks with the voice of Christ and what she says is His true whether that be in a written form or a oral teaching.

Upvote 0

Highway of Life

Jul 13, 2004
Visit site
✟16,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, I need to go to bed, so I will post one last time.

It has been wonderful debating with you all. I have learned a lot about Sacred Tradition and Scripture today because of you. Thank you!

Most of the debates where simple misunderstandings. That is okay, it happens.

Real quickly: I believe "Sola Scriptura" is an incorrect belief. I don't believe "Bible Only" Theology. Sorry if anyone misunderstood me, or if that was the way I was comming off. I was only debating the fact that the Bible and the Church are equal. As far as teachings go. I am sure this will be continually debated. But I must get some sleep.

Yes, Paul did use the OT (Scripture) just as Jesus did.

Matthew 21:42

Matthew 22:29http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/...age=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on

Matthew 26:54

Mark 12:10

Mark 12:24

Mark 14:49

Luke 4:21

Luke 24:27

Luke 24:32

Luke 24:45

John 2:22

John 5:39

John 7:38

John 7:42

John 13:18

John 17:12

Just to name a few

I also understand that not ALL Sacred Tradition is contained within the Bible.

There where many more letters, but not all of them where put in the Bible.
But that is what the Gentiles used. That, and if they where given any Scripture at all, they would have used that as well.

I could go on and on, but, I must stop here.

Once again, thank you all for your help, for correcting me when I am wrong, enjoying a lovely debate with me.

God Bless you all... and here is a :hug: for all of you.
Good Night
Highway of Life
HoL In OnE
"Life is the Highway, Faith are the Gas stations, Sin are the potholes, Grace is the bridges, eternity is the destination. And don't drive the wrong way" -- Me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Highway of Life said:
30 years after Jesus Died. Orally I suppose. But I am assuming... please understand, it is only an assumption: that they must have wrote something. Even something that was not used in the current Bible today.

Highway
Why?
And if they did, why is it no longer used today?
And if its no longer used today, why does it matter? :)

Reactions: Michelina
Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Highway of Life said:
Okay, I need to go to bed, so I will post one last time.

It has been wonderful debating with you all. I have learned a lot about Sacred Tradition and Scripture today because of you. Thank you!

Most of the debates where simple misunderstandings. That is okay, it happens.

Real quickly: I believe "Sola Scriptura" is an incorrect belief. I don't believe "Bible Only" Theology. Sorry if anyone misunderstood me, or if that was the way I was comming off. I was only debating the fact that the Bible and the Church are equal. As far as teachings go. I am sure this will be continually debated. But I must get some sleep.

Yes, Paul did use the OT (Scripture) just as Jesus did.

Matthew 21:42

Matthew 22:29http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/...age=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on

Matthew 26:54

Mark 12:10

Mark 12:24

Mark 14:49

Luke 4:21

Luke 24:27

Luke 24:32

Luke 24:45

John 2:22

John 5:39

John 7:38

John 7:42

John 13:18

John 17:12

Just to name a few

I also understand that not ALL Sacred Tradition is contained within the Bible.

There where many more letters, but not all of them where put in the Bible.
But that is what the Gentiles used. That, and if they where given any Scripture at all, they would have used that as well.

I could go on and on, but, I must stop here.

Once again, thank you all for your help, for correcting me when I am wrong, enjoying a lovely debate with me.

God Bless you all... and here is a :hug: for all of you.
Good Night
Highway of Life
HoL In OnE
"Life is the Highway, Faith are the Gas stations, Sin are the potholes, Grace is the bridges, eternity is the destination. And don't drive the wrong way" -- Me

The Church and the bible are not equal. The Church has the given authority to teach us using the written accounts as one of the ways. The bible is under the authority of the Church telling us that this written account is truth from God.

If it is not the authority Church, then who is it that tells us what writing that were floating around were true and from God? How would we know?

Upvote 0

Highway of Life

Jul 13, 2004
Visit site
✟16,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thereselittleflower said:
What another sand trap? How much over par are you going to be ?? ;)

(I don't golf . . I hit the ground too much . . it hurt too much . . so I gave up. :D)

Peace in Him!
Hey Therese, yeah, I keep going for the HoLe In OnE, but I keep missing the E :p So I just get a HoL in OnE:D

Sounds like you where trying to dig a hole!

I am good at golf, I hook it as much as I can. I just love the way the ball curves, but I hate how my score looks ;)

HoL... In EiGhT

Upvote 0

Highway of Life

Jul 13, 2004
Visit site
✟16,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ps139 said:
Why?
And if they did, why is it no longer used today?
And if its no longer used today, why does it matter? :)
You are getting me thinking, which is good, but I am too tired to give an answer tonight. Tomorrow perhaps!

GB
Highway

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Highway of Life said:
Hey Therese, yeah, I keep going for the HoLe In OnE, but I keep missing the E :p So I just get a HoL in OnE:D

LOL :D

Sounds like you where trying to dig a hole!

You ain't kiddin'!! :) It really hurt . . my husband has not been able to get me back out onto the golf course again since!

I am good at golf, I hook it as much as I can. I just love the way the ball curves, but I hate how my score looks

HoL... In EiGhT

LOLOL!!

Hey . . I am good at computer golf!! Does that count??? :)

Peace in him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Highway of Life

Jul 13, 2004
Visit site
✟16,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Michelina said:
The Relationship Between Tradition and Sacred Scripture
One common source . . .

80 "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, then, are bound closely together and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing and move towards the same goal." Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own "always, to the close of the age."

. . . two distinct modes of transmission

81 "Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit."42 "And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound, and spread it abroad by their preaching."

82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."
Here, so I can :sleep:

Upvote 0

Highway of Life

Jul 13, 2004
Visit site
✟16,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thereselittleflower said:
LOL :D

You ain't kiddin'!! :) It really hurt . . my husband has not been able to get me back out onto the golf course again since!

LOLOL!!

Hey . . I am good at computer golf!! Does that count??? :)

Peace in him!
Yep, sure does, you and I could be the best two this side of CF!

My favorite part about Golfing: Driving the Golf Carts!

:sleep:

Upvote 0

BornCath

Jan 18, 2004
Toronto
✟374.00
Faith
Catholic
seebs said:
Am I right in understanding that, furthermore, the Church generally teaches that the Bible's authority applies to matters of faith and morals, and not necessarily to other fields of inquiry?

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! I can't say it any better than you did, Seebs. Like the infallibility of the Pope & the Church applies only to faith and morals so thus the infallibility of the scripture.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.