PA
✟275,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Conclusion: There is nothing in that which undermines Sola Scriptura. This has been explained many times. The reason is that Sola Scriptura refers to affirming Scripture as the authority for doctrine. It is not a term that refers to how it is then to be interpreted.
thank you for displaying that SS is a failure!

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While other Protestant Churches/ Communities that also adhere to Sola Scriptura do not beleive same sex marriage is all fine and dandy.
for SS to have any chance of guiding people who call themselves Christians, there must be a visible, authoritative, and infallible interpreter of Scripture. According to our friend posting in this thread, it certainly ain't most branches of protestants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. I believe discussing same sex marriage with adhereants of Sola Scriptura is very relevant. The reason being, take the list of concretecamper Protestant Communities that teach Sola Scriptura on post #68 that teach same sex marriage is all fine and dandy.

While other Protestant Churches/ Communities that also adhere to Sola Scriptura do not beleive same sex marriage is all fine and dandy.

If they all are teaching from the same Bible, and all teach Sola Scriptura, and all supposedly under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, how can they have such a wide difference of beliefs regarding same sex marriage? Surely none of these communities believe the Holy Spirit could be in error....right? So which of these communites/churches is correct, and which ones are in error? And the next question stands to reason... Which of these Protestant Communities that adhere to SS has the authority to determine which ones are in error and the ones that are not?

If you don't mind me asking, are you a member of one of the Protestant Communities above that are okay with same sex marriage, or one of the Protestant Churches that teach against same sex marriage?

You know, something just came to mind, the same question could be asked of Protestant Communities that adhere to Sola Scriptura. That being Abortion. Some are okay with Abortion, and some are not. Who is in error, and who is not? Hmmmmm....

Have a Blessed Day!

Comments are not relevant. The proof that someone believes and practices Sola scriptura is the bible scriptures themselves. The scriptures are very clear on this subject and have already been posted in post # 67 linked here. As shown earlier we are to test the Spirits to see if they are of God or not. In this case the teaching of gay marriage is not of God according to the scriptures. God's Word is the final authority.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So what you are saying here, includes those on the list of post #68?
Exactly what I posted. I am saying anyone that follows the teachings and traditions of men over the Word of God are not following Sola scriptura on whatever teaching they are following that is not biblical. This includes the example of any church that promotes gay marriage. Scritpure is final authority by which we are to test the Spirits to see if their teaching is of God or not. Gay marriage according to the scriptures is not biblical. Those who deny Sola scriptura on a particular doctrine is not an argument against Sola scriptura it only shows those who deny God's Word are not following it or practicing Sola scriptura.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Back to the OP. I have a question for our Catholic friends or anyone else that does not believe in Sola scriptura to consider.

If faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17, and our salvation is by God's grace through faith in Gods' Word (believing and following God's Word), how can we have salvation when scripture is not the final authority or when the teachings and traditions of men deny the Word of God?

Look forward to your replies.

• Winner
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Back to the OP. I have a question for our Catholic friends or anyone else that does not believe in Sola scriptura to consider.

If faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17, and our salvation is by God's grace through faith in Gods' Word (believing and following God's Word), how can we have salvation when scripture is not the final authority or when the teachings and traditions of men deny the Word of God?

Look forward to your replies.
The bible doesnt fail. Sola Scripturists fail in interpretation of scripture. You've said so yourself about Anglicanism and most protestant denominations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I disagree. I believe discussing same sex marriage with adhereants of Sola Scriptura is very relevant. The reason being, take the list of concretecamper Protestant Communities that teach Sola Scriptura on post #68 that teach same sex marriage is all fine and dandy.

If they all are teaching from the same Bible, and all teach Sola Scriptura, and all supposedly under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, how can they have such a wide difference of beliefs regarding same sex marriage? Surely none of these communities believe the Holy Spirit could be in error....right? So which of these communites/churches is correct, and which ones are in error? And the next question stands to reason... Which of these Protestant Communities that adhere to SS has the authority to determine which ones are in error and the ones that are not?

If you don't mind me asking, are you a member of one of the Protestant Communities above that are okay with same sex marriage, or one of the Protestant Churches that teach against same sex marriage?

You know, something just came to mind, the same question could be asked of Protestant Communities that adhere to Sola Scriptura. That being Abortion. Some are okay with Abortion, and some are not. Who is in error, and who is not? Hmmmmm....

Have a Blessed Day!

Same sex marriage has absolutely nothing to do with Sola Scriptura. FYI, Sola Scriptura is defined as "a theological doctrine held by some Protestant Christian denominations that the Christian scriptures are the sole infallible source of authority for Christian faith and practice." There is no mention in the Christian scriptures of same-sex marriage, so saying it's part of some Protestant doctrine is obviously wrong. If any people say that it is they simply don't know what they're talking about.

There are a lot of beliefs held by Christians, particularly Catholics, that aren't in the Bible: the Pope, praying to saints instead of to God, praying the rosary, and others. Protestants believe the Bible; if it's not in the Bible it has nothing to do with God's Word, the ultimate authority.

What I believe about same-sex marriage or abortion are not relevant to this discussion.

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Same sex marriage has absolutely nothing to do with Sola Scriptura. FYI, Sola Scriptura is defined as "a theological doctrine held by some Protestant Christian denominations that the Christian scriptures are the sole infallible source of authority for Christian faith and practice." There is no mention in the Christian scriptures of same-sex marriage, so saying it's part of some Protestant doctrine is obviously wrong. If any people say that it is they simply don't know what they're talking about.

There are a lot of beliefs held by Christians, particularly Catholics, that aren't in the Bible: the Pope, praying to saints instead of to God, praying the rosary, and others. Protestants believe the Bible; if it's not in the Bible it has nothing to do with God's Word, the ultimate authority.

What I believe about same-sex marriage or abortion are not relevant to this discussion.
please dont get hung up on same sex marriage. To help you out, I'll present another topic.

Prior to 1930, EVERY Protestant denomination rejected contraception as being agaisnt scripture.

Today, EVERY protestant denomination accepts contraception.

So, did scripture change? Did the Holy Spirt change His mind. Or did man decide to interpret scripture differently to suit his views?

I look forward to your reply

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The bible doesnt fail. Sola Scripturists fail in interpretation of scripture. You've said so yourself about Anglicanism and most protestant denominations.

Not at all dear friend. Sola scriptura does not fail as it is our only means of salvation. People not following God's Word fail because they are not infallible. Only God's Word is infallible and the sole rule of faith.

Now tell me dear friend, if faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17, and our salvation is by God's grace through faith in Gods' Word (believing and following God's Word), how can we have salvation when scripture is not the final authority or when the teachings and traditions of men deny the Word of God?

Look forward to your reply.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now tell me dear friend, if faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17, and our salvation is by God's grace through faith in Gods' Word (believing and following God's Word), how can we have salvation when scripture is not the final authority or when the teachings and traditions of men deny the Word of God?
is Paul talking about the Bible? Or is he talking about the Gospel? If you can show me where scripture says that the bible is the complete Word of God, then I'll have to think about your question some more.

So, care to answer my dilemma on contraception?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
please dont get hung up on same sex marriage. To help you out, I'll present another topic.

Prior to 1930, EVERY Protestant denomination rejected contraception as being agaisnt scripture.

Today, EVERY protestant denomination accepts contraception.

So, did scripture change? Did the Holy Spirt change His mind. Or did man decide to interpret scripture differently to suit his views?

I look forward to your reply

Easy. Where does it talk about contraception in the scriptures? In regard to my question to you, Paul is talking of course of the Word of God in regards to faith as faith comes by hearing and heaing by the Word of God. The bible is the Gospel (the Word of God). Now did you want to answer my questions to you now that I asked before yours?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Easy. Where does it talk about contraception in the scriptures? Paul is talking of course about the bible which is the Gospel (the Word of God). Now did you want to answer my questions to you now that I asked before yours?
my question is:

If you can show me where scripture says that the bible is the complete Word of God, then I'll have to think about your question some more.

Please answer it.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
were they right prior to 1930 or after the1930?
Not relevant as it is not in the bible which is why I asked you the question earlier. Now please answer my question dear friend as I did ask you first. Where does it talk about contraception in the scriptures? Paul is talking of course of the Word of God in regards to faith as faith comes by hearing and heaing by the Word of God. The bible is the Gospel (the Word of God).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
my question is:

If you can show me where scripture says that the bible is the complete Word of God, then I'll have to think about your question some more.

Please answer it.

So I guess you cannot answer my question to you? It is ok I can understand why you choose not to. If you do not want to answer it just say so. No need to waste earch others time. Perhaps you can pray about it at home. The question and scriptures provided already show that our salvation only comes from God's Word as does faith. So your question here is simply a logical fallacy as the scriptures already provided show that the scriptures are Gods' Word.

• Agree
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not relevant as it is not in the bible which is why I asked you the question earlier
it is relevant. I see you've wised up and see my trap coming. Nonetheless, you evasive posture is answer enough. ^_^

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So I guess you cannot answer my question to you.
I already did.
The question and scriptures provided already show that our salvation only comes from God's Word as does faith
God's Word is not limited to the Bible. I am willing to ne proved wrong . That is why I asked you to show me where the bible say it is the complete word of God. I know the answer already, it is another trap.^_^

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
it is relevant. I see you've wised up and see my trap coming. Nonetheless, you evasive posture is answer enough.
What trap would that be? I have answered all your questions and have not hidden any responses. It is you who refuses to answer my questions to you when they are not traps for you but only open and honest questions based on the scripture to help the discussion which you refuse to answer. This is telling and is answer enough though. :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I already did.God's Word is not limited to the Bible.
Prove it then. God's written Word is God's recorded spoken Word according to the scriptures. What do you mean God's Word is not limited to the bible? (proof please). The scriptures are simply God's Word and the final authority of truth and error that we are to try the Spirits to see if they are of God or not of God.
I am willing to ne proved wrong . That is why I asked you to show me where the bible say it is the complete word of God. I know the answer already, it is another trap.
I believe you have already been proven wrong in the very question asked of you and the scriptures provided that you refuse to answer. If faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17, and our salvation is by God's grace through faith in Gods' Word (believing and following God's Word), how can we have salvation when scripture is not the final authority or when the teachings and traditions of men deny the Word of God? You are indeed free to believe as you wish as we all answer only to God come judgement day. According to the sciputures however we will all be judged by the Word of God that we accept or reject *John 12:47-48.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0