✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Good Day, Peace

Your very first post had to do with the varied views of the book of Hebrews with in the canon of scripture.

That type of question is not germaine to the doctrine as I defined... I have a open thread on the NT canon if you would like to read that OP and discuss I would be more than happy.

NT contents and is authority needed?

In Him,

Bill
No, the question of the canon is relevant to the definition you set forth, and I showed you exactly why it is relevant. Stop with the games. You want to avoid the question because it disproves your assertions, as was demonstrated numerous times in this thread.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Notice that God made all the animals, including man, on the sixth day.

Like I said, we are animals PLUS. Because we are highly sentient animals, that is why God made us stewards of His garden.
I totally agree with you that animals are an important part of God’s creation, and that they should be cared for with the utmost of concern (I was vegetarian for a long time for this reason). But that does not make us merely an “animal plus” some other quality. That would be kind of like saying that God is just another man, plus being divine. The fact that we are made in God’s image makes us fundamentally something different than animals, even though we share certain traits (and it is also this fundamental difference that enables us to care for animals).

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I totally agree with you that animals are an important part of God’s creation, and that they should be cared for with the utmost of concern (I was vegetarian for a long time for this reason). But that does not make us merely an “animal plus” some other quality. That would be kind of like saying that God is just another man, plus being divine. The fact that we are made in God’s image makes us fundamentally something different than animals, even though we share certain traits (and it is also this fundamental difference that enables us to care for animals).
I never used the word "just."

Christ *IS* fully man as well as fully God.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Yes, God became incarnate. Do you find it repugnant that God became a man?
Not particularly. If God wanted to become a dog he could do that, but the fact is that he did not. He became a man, and men and dogs are fundamentally different.

What I find is that your classification is nonsensical from a Christian perspective. Using your rationale, you could just as easily classify a man as a plant + something more. Or practically anything else under the sun.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Not particularly. If God wanted to become a dog he could do that, but the fact is that he did not. He became a man, and men and dogs are fundamentally different.

What I find is that your classification is nonsensical from a Christian perspective. Using your rationale, you could just as easily classify a man as a plant + something more. Or practically anything else under the sun.
Biologically speaking, the plant kingdom and the animal kingdom are separate. Human beings do not meet the biological definition of a plant.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Biologically speaking, the plant kingdom and the animal kingdom are separate. Human beings do not meet the biological definition of a plant.
Sure. From the standpoint of biology or pure science humans are classified as animals. I don’t dispute that. I bet the Catholic Church would agree with you there too.

What I am trying to say is that from a Christian perspective men and animals are fundamentally different types of beings. We are made in the image of God, and dogs are not (among other differences). That makes us so radically different, from a Christian perspective, that it does not make sense to think of us as a type of monkey, or as a monkey “plus” some additional attribute.

In our case, the additional attribute (being made in the image of God) makes us radically different.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Sure. From the standpoint of biology or pure science humans are classified as animals. I don’t dispute that. I bet the Catholic Church would agree with you there too.

What I am trying to say is that from a Christian perspective men and animals are fundamentally different types of beings. We are made in the image of God, and dogs are not (among other differences). That makes us so radically different, from a Christian perspective, that it does not make sense to think of us as a type of monkey, or as a monkey “plus” some additional attribute.

In our case, the additional attribute (being made in the image of God) makes us radically different.
Being made in the image of God makes us animals PLUS. It doesn't take away our biology.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me clue you in to something my friend. Our Lord Jesus is not an animal. Nor is he merely a man. He is God.

Animal life is found in animal blood, and it was therefore improper for Jews to mix that nature with their own nature.

On the other hand, the life of God is found within his blood, and it is most fitting that man should drink of it, so that his life may abide in us, just our Lord promised:

“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
Do our Lord's words offend you?

Now why in the world would you think that a born again believer who has spoken with you a number of time would think that the words of the Lord Jesus Christ would be offensive to me?

That reminds me of what someone would say who is corned with the truth and has no real response to make. But what ever. Do you and other Catholic believers sit down and THINK through what you are saying before YOU actually say it????

I say that because I want to point out something to YOU. By what YOU are saying, You are in effect saying that in Genesis, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy God lied about the eating of blood. He said to "NOT EAT THE BLLOD BECAUSE IT IS THE SOURCE OF LIFE".

Now, because a French Monk in 900 AD said that Jesus meant to LITERALLY EAT His flesh and blood, and the Catholic church accepted that theology, you accept that above what God has already said.
YES IT IS. THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING!

I know that you will copy and paste a response from a Catholic apologetic blog, but the fact remains no matter what you post. That is what you are saying.

Now, instead of correctly understanding that Jesus was using a metaphor to tell us to "Spiritually" consume His flesh and blood, and understaning all the Scriptures presented to you which state "IN REMEMBERANCE OF ME", YOU say we are LITERALLY do that.

That does Two things. As I said you are calling God a liar. There is NO OTHER way to say it my sister. Either God said those things in the Old Test. or He did not say them. We either accept them or reject them.

What is then more disturbing IMO is that in effect that makes Him a sinner which then brings into question whether or not we can be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Glory to God!!!!! We agree and YOU actually agree with the Scriptures.

In Genesis 3 verse 21 God prepares for mankind a covering out of skin, and for the first time an animal dies. The implications of this flow throughout the Word of God; because of man's sin, death has entered the world. However, for our discussion on animals, it is important to understand that the animals are to be used by men for our needs.

Men reproduce after men and animals reproduce after animals because men are created in the image of God. That means we as humans can think, reason, and have comprehension, compassion and love.

In Genesis 9 there is a change in man’s relation to animals. Up to this point, animals were not used as food. However, God now includes certain animals in the diet of mankind. God also puts fear of man into the animals. Again, animals are used to fill the needs of men.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"I am the door." -John 10:9
"I am the good shepherd." -John 10:11
"Feed my sheep." -John 21:17

From this we know that Jesus was a hinged, sliding, or revolving architectural barrier that owned a herd of wool-producing livestock and asked Peter to feed them. (metaphors matter)

Excellent example brother!

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being made in the image of God makes us animals PLUS. It doesn't take away our biology.

NO it does not!

Do you ever sit and think about what you are about to say? Do you ever think to investigate your opinion to see if they are agreeable to the Word of God and common sense?????

1 Corinthians 15:39.......
"All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fish, another of birds".

How else could God have said that so as to allow you to understand what He literally did say????

Man is different from all other animals in a number of ways:

1. Analytical Thought
Man can think analytically. He can analyze problems and come up with creative solutions. He is able to reason and philosophize about life. The reasoning powers in animals are limited.

2. True Language
Only man possesses true language and conceptual thought. He can communicate by using abstract symbols.

3. Record History
Another difference is that man can record and determine history. Do you know of a book written by a lion????

4. Economics
Man is an economic being, able to transact complicated business and to administer goods and services under his control.

5. Art
Man is an aesthetic being, capable of perceiving and appreciating beauty and intangible values

6. Morality
Man is an ethical being. He can distinguish between right and wrong. He can and does make moral judgments. He has a conscience.

7. Worship
Only man can experience faith. Man alone of all earthly creation can worship his Creator.

8. Bury Its Dead
Man is the only living creature that buries its dead.

Please, THINK and investigate before you post opinions. Honestly, it will go a long way in making your opinion more acceptable.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Glory to God!!!!! We agree and YOU actually agree with the Scriptures.
Heh. I agree with the Scriptures because I agree with you, and you are always correct, isn't that right? In your own mind you are an infallible interpreter of Scripture, whether you admit it or not.

OK folks, I am bowing out of this discussion. God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You said............
"Bring it! I'll answer anything you got. But keep in mind, I will not be bound to your unbiblical limitations of sola scriptura."

Again, that comment is rather ambiguous and deceitful. I will ask you to verify a certain Catholic practice by giving the Bible quotes that confirm what it is you are doing.

Like I've "always" said Maj1, the unbiblical doctrine of the "bible alone" is your limitation.... not mine. Nothing deceitful or opaque about that.

All you will do is say.........
"I do not hold to Sola Scriptura , or I do not need to do that because I am a Catholic and we obey the traditions of men and not the Bible.

Again..... how do you know this? That crystal ball thing again?

Besides, if you are as knowledgeable in Catholicism as you try to make yourself out to be, maybe you can show where in the teachings of the Catholic Church (like the Catechisim) where it is taught that we Catholics are to obey 'traditions of men" only.

And may I say to you my friend that you are an expert on this practice."

Never have I said Maj1........"and we obey the traditions of men and not the Bible" that's being deceitful, and you know it!

Besides, if you want to talk about someone being an "expert", let's talk about your "expertise" in promoting lies and myths on Catholicism to futher your anti-Catholic agenda! Not to mention your so-called "expertise" in trying to predict what I'm going.... or not going to say! Good grief!

[/quote]However, against by better judgment lets just see what happens. Here we go...........Now this question has nothing to do with Sola Scriptura, so SPECIFICALLY:
Provide a single example of a doctrine that originates from an oral Apostolic Tradition that the Bible is silent about? Provide proof that this doctrinal tradition is apostolic in origin.[/quote]

Not trying to dodge your question Maj1, but before I could even think about addressing this, I/we must determine if your definition of "Oral Apostolic Tradition" and that of the Catholic Church"s align.

So... please tell us what you think Oral Apostolic Tradition is, and then I'll give the Catholic Church's definition. If your definition conflicts with with that of the Catholic Church's, then all we would be doing is wasting time.... going around in circles where time would be better spent on the original topic of sola scriptura.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like I've "always" said Maj1, the unbiblical doctrine of the "bible alone" is your limitation.... not mine. Nothing deceitful or opaque about that.

Again..... how do you know this? That crystal ball thing again?

Besides, if you are as knowledgeable in Catholicism as you try to make yourself out to be, maybe you can show where in the teachings of the Catholic Church (like the Catechisim) where it is taught that we Catholics are to obey 'traditions of men" only.

Never have I said Maj1........"and we obey the traditions of men and not the Bible" that's being deceitful, and you know it!

Besides, if you want to talk about someone being an "expert", let's talk about your "expertise" in promoting lies and myths on Catholicism to futher your anti-Catholic agenda! Not to mention your so-called "expertise" in trying to predict what I'm going.... or not going to say! Good grief!
However, against by better judgment lets just see what happens. Here we go...........Now this question has nothing to do with Sola Scriptura, so SPECIFICALLY:
Provide a single example of a doctrine that originates from an oral Apostolic Tradition that the Bible is silent about? Provide proof that this doctrinal tradition is apostolic in origin.[/quote]

Not trying to dodge your question Maj1, but before I could even think about addressing this, I/we must determine if your definition of "Oral Apostolic Tradition" and that of the Catholic Church"s align.

So... please tell us what you think Oral Apostolic Tradition is, and then I'll give the Catholic Church's definition. If your definition conflicts with with that of the Catholic Church's, then all we would be doing is wasting time.... going around in circles where time would be better spent on the original topic of sola scriptura.[/QUOTE]

LOL...........as usual, YOU did not answer he question!!!!!

YOU said......."Bring it".

I then asked you ONE thing and you dodged the question completely.

Do you want to try again or do you want me to ask you something else ?????????

Too much!!!!

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Good Day, As to the Church that would be all of the elect believers who have been adopted by the Father and given to to Son and gifted with the gift of faith and repentance.

And do you believe this Church to be visible or invisible?

I am not asking you “how” he learned it… But what was it that Paul taught Timothy that is not in scripture.. What is it not the basis nor the means. The what.

I believe the 'what' St. Paul is talking about 2Tim. 3:14 could be many differnt things. Like differnt forms of obedience he (Paul} talks about in 2Thess.2:15. Or, remembering those leaders in Heb.13:7-9, that spoke ('oral') to them the Word of God about not to be lead away by 'diverse and strange teachings' . If he were to be asked who these 'leaders' or 'diverse and strange teachings' are, how do you think he'd informed them who they were if it is not written in scripture? Orally?

The one thing we can be assured BBAS64, "what" St.Paul was not teaching Timothy in 2 Tim.3:14-17 is that the bible alone is sufficient as a sole rule of faith.

Matt 2:23 – yes the prophecies are in the OT which are the oracles of God given to the Jews.
Vines Greek word study Notes:

USCCB Bible notes:

[Matt.2:23] Nazareth…he shall be called a Nazorean: the tradition of Jesus’ residence in Nazareth was firmly established, and Matthew sees it as being in accordance with the foreannounced plan of God. The town of Nazareth is not mentioned in the Old Testament, and no such prophecy can be found there. The vague expression “through the prophets” may be due to Matthew’s seeing a connection between Nazareth and certain texts in which there are words with a remote similarity to the name of that town. Some such Old Testament texts are Is 11:1 where the Davidic king of the future is called “a bud” (nēser) that shall blossom from the roots of Jesse, and Jgs 13:5, 7 where Samson, the future deliverer of Israel from the Philistines, is called one who shall be consecrated (a nāzîr) to God.

1 Cor.10:4 – why do you assume it would be contained in the OT in order to be true. 1 Cor is God breathed out and is factually true and stand as fact because 1 Cor is scripture and is binding. Yes!

USCCB bible notes:

[10:1–5] Paul embarks unexpectedly upon a panoramic survey of the events of the Exodus period. The privileges of Israel in the wilderness are described in terms that apply strictly only to the realities of the new covenant (“baptism,” “spiritual food and drink”); interpreted in this way they point forward to the Christian experience (1 Cor 10:1–4). But those privileges did not guarantee God’s permanent pleasure (1 Cor 10:5).

[10:4] A spiritual rock that followed them: the Torah speaks only about a rock from which water issued, but rabbinic legend amplified this into a spring that followed the Israelites throughout their migration. Paul uses this legend as a literary type: he makes the rock itself accompany the Israelites, and he gives it a spiritual sense. The rock was the Christ: in the Old Testament, Yahweh is the Rock of his people (cf. Dt 32, Moses’ song to Yahweh the Rock). Paul now applies this image to the Christ, the source of the living water, the true Rock that accompanied Israel, guiding their experiences in the desert.

Gregory of Nyssa we make the Holy Scriptures the rule and the measure of every tenet; we necessarily fix our eyes upon that, and approve that alone which may be made to harmonize with the intention of those writings.

St. Gregory of Nyssa also wrote on tradition and Church authority:

“Let [Eunomius] first show, then, that the Church has believed in vain that the Only-begotten Son truly exists, not made such through adoption by a Father falsely so-called, but existing as such according to nature, by generation from Him Who Is, not estranged from the nature of Him who begot Him…It suffices for the PROOF of our statement that we have a TRADITION coming down from the FATHERS, an inheritance as it were, by SUCCESSION from the Apostles through the SAINTS who came after them.” ( C. Eunomius 3(4) )

“…I say, that the Church teaches this in plain language, that the Only-begotten is essentially God, very God of the essence of the very God, how OUGHT one who OPPOSES HER DECISIONS to overthrow the preconceived opinion?” ( C. Eunomius 4,6 )

St. Gregory of Nyssa also wrote on the Holy Eucharist:

"Rightly then, do we believe that the bread consecrated by the word of God has been made over into the Body of the God the Word. For that Body was, as to its potency bread; but it has been consecrated by the lodging there of the Word, who pitched His tent in the flesh."-"The Great
Catechism [37: 9-13]"

St Gregory of Nyssa in Baptisim:

"Baptism is God’s most beautiful and magnificent gift. . . .We call it gift, grace, anointing, enlightenment, garment of immortality, bath of rebirth, seal, and most precious gift. It is called gift because it is conferred on those who bring nothing of their own; grace since it is given even to the guilty; Baptism because sin is buried in the water; anointing for it is priestly and royal as are those who are anointed; enlightenment because it radiates light; clothing since it veils our shame; bath because it washes; and seal as it is our guard and the sign of God’s Lordship."

Hmmm... none of these quotes I posted don't sound very Protestant, but very Catholic, wouldn't you agree?

Sooooo.... BBas64, If you accept the small quote you posted (out of context I might add) from St. Gregory at face value, do you also accept the the quotes I posted the same?

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Heh. I agree with the Scriptures because I agree with you, and you are always correct, isn't that right? In your own mind you are an infallible interpreter of Scripture, whether you admit it or not.

OK folks, I am bowing out of this discussion. God bless.

I am not the one in view. YOU have tried to make it me but it isn't.

The Scriptures are always right my dear friend, the Scriptures!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And do you believe this Church to be visible or invisible?

I believe the 'what' St. Paul is talking about 2Tim. 3:14 could be many differnt things. Like differnt forms of obedience he (Paul} talks about in 2Thess.2:15. Or, remembering those leaders in Heb.13:7-9, that spoke ('oral') to them the Word of God about not to be lead away by 'diverse and strange teachings' . If he were to be asked who these 'leaders' or 'diverse and strange teachings' are, how do you think he'd informed them who they were if it is not written in scripture? Orally?

The one thing we can be assured BBAS64, "what" St.Paul was not teaching Timothy in 2 Tim.3:14-17 is that the bible alone is sufficient as a sole rule of faith.

USCCB Bible notes:

[Matt.2:23] Nazareth…he shall be called a Nazorean: the tradition of Jesus’ residence in Nazareth was firmly established, and Matthew sees it as being in accordance with the foreannounced plan of God. The town of Nazareth is not mentioned in the Old Testament, and no such prophecy can be found there. The vague expression “through the prophets” may be due to Matthew’s seeing a connection between Nazareth and certain texts in which there are words with a remote similarity to the name of that town. Some such Old Testament texts are Is 11:1 where the Davidic king of the future is called “a bud” (nēser) that shall blossom from the roots of Jesse, and Jgs 13:5, 7 where Samson, the future deliverer of Israel from the Philistines, is called one who shall be consecrated (a nāzîr) to God.

USCCB bible notes:

[10:1–5] Paul embarks unexpectedly upon a panoramic survey of the events of the Exodus period. The privileges of Israel in the wilderness are described in terms that apply strictly only to the realities of the new covenant (“baptism,” “spiritual food and drink”); interpreted in this way they point forward to the Christian experience (1 Cor 10:1–4). But those privileges did not guarantee God’s permanent pleasure (1 Cor 10:5).

[10:4] A spiritual rock that followed them: the Torah speaks only about a rock from which water issued, but rabbinic legend amplified this into a spring that followed the Israelites throughout their migration. Paul uses this legend as a literary type: he makes the rock itself accompany the Israelites, and he gives it a spiritual sense. The rock was the Christ: in the Old Testament, Yahweh is the Rock of his people (cf. Dt 32, Moses’ song to Yahweh the Rock). Paul now applies this image to the Christ, the source of the living water, the true Rock that accompanied Israel, guiding their experiences in the desert.

St. Gregory of Nyssa also wrote on tradition and Church authority:

“Let [Eunomius] first show, then, that the Church has believed in vain that the Only-begotten Son truly exists, not made such through adoption by a Father falsely so-called, but existing as such according to nature, by generation from Him Who Is, not estranged from the nature of Him who begot Him…It suffices for the PROOF of our statement that we have a TRADITION coming down from the FATHERS, an inheritance as it were, by SUCCESSION from the Apostles through the SAINTS who came after them.” ( C. Eunomius 3(4) )

“…I say, that the Church teaches this in plain language, that the Only-begotten is essentially God, very God of the essence of the very God, how OUGHT one who OPPOSES HER DECISIONS to overthrow the preconceived opinion?” ( C. Eunomius 4,6 )

St. Gregory of Nyssa also wrote on the Holy Eucharist:

"Rightly then, do we believe that the bread consecrated by the word of God has been made over into the Body of the God the Word. For that Body was, as to its potency bread; but it has been consecrated by the lodging there of the Word, who pitched His tent in the flesh."-"The Great
Catechism [37: 9-13]"

St Gregory of Nyssa in Baptisim:

"Baptism is God’s most beautiful and magnificent gift. . . .We call it gift, grace, anointing, enlightenment, garment of immortality, bath of rebirth, seal, and most precious gift. It is called gift because it is conferred on those who bring nothing of their own; grace since it is given even to the guilty; Baptism because sin is buried in the water; anointing for it is priestly and royal as are those who are anointed; enlightenment because it radiates light; clothing since it veils our shame; bath because it washes; and seal as it is our guard and the sign of God’s Lordship."

Hmmm... none of these quotes I posted don't sound very Protestant, but very Catholic, wouldn't you agree?

Sooooo.... BBas64, If you accept the small quote you posted (out of context I might add) from St. Gregory at face value, do you also accept the the quotes I posted the same?

Again............you said BRING IT.

For the 3rd time................
Provide a single example of a doctrine that originates from an oral Apostolic Tradition that the Bible is silent about? Provide proof that this doctrinal tradition is apostolic in origin

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
LOL...........as usual, YOU did not answer he question!!!

Said the "expert" of not answering questions! Ha...Ha!

YOU said......."Bring it".

Yep.... sure did!

I then asked you ONE thing and you dodged the question completely.

Ha..Ha! You really need to put down the pipe, man! Trying to determine your definition of "Oral Apostolic Tradition" first........ is not dodging nutin! :) Just give your definition and we'll move on from there. What so difficult or dodgy about that? Sheesh!!

Do you want to try again or do you want me to ask you something else ?????????

Lol! You don't need my permission, you can do as you want. You crack me up dude! :)

Too much!!!!

Didn't I just warn you about the pipe? :)

p.s. Hey Maj1, if you need help using the 'quote feature' let me know, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Upvote 0