Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
God love ya Peace. I am just not that smart to think up something which is so easy to find and prove to be UNTRUE.

All you have to do is "Google" it, read it and accept or deny it.

Here are some sites that include actual Historical facts...........
Geographic variation caused New Testament canon variation from 33 AD - 400 AD

Is the original Bible still in existence?
Here is a website which outlines the history of the canon in stages, although it organizes it in three stages because it only uses my first three stages and leaves out the fourth of the Council of Carthage when the canon was finally approved. It's a nice Protestant website.

Canon Of The New Testament - International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
LOL.....No my dear, no changes at all.

Luke 22:19......
"And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

Luke 22:20......
"After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me."

1 Corinthians 11:24......
"And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me."

1 Corinthians 11:25.....
"After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me."
Amen brother. It is nice to see you quote Scripture without altering the words. You are learning. Here is some more homework for you: Please refrain from changing "This is my body" to "This represents my body." Thank you.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me clue you in to something my friend. Our Lord Jesus is not an animal. Nor is he merely a man. He is God.

Animal life is found in animal blood, and it was therefore improper for Jews to mix that nature with their own nature.

On the other hand, the life of God is found within his blood, and it is most fitting that man should drink of it, so that his life may abide in us, just our Lord promised:

“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
Do our Lord's words offend you?

Good day, Peace

I can not talk for Major ... But as for me no they do not offend me I do not think any one would find them offensive. I just think your understanding of them is incorrect and fails to follow historical sound biblical interpretation practices and thus your view and application is flawed.

"If the sentence is one of command, either forbidding a crime or vice, or enjoining an act of prudence or benevolence, it is not figurative. If, however, it seems to enjoin a crime or vice, or to forbid an act of prudence or benevolence, it is figurative. 'Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man,' says Christ, 'and drink His blood, ye have no life in you.' This seems to enjoin a crime or a vice; it is therefore a figure, enjoining that we should have a share in the sufferings of our Lord, and that we should retain a sweet and profitable memory of the fact that His flesh was wounded and crucified for us." - Augustine (On Christian Doctrine, 3:16:24)

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Let me clue you in to something my friend. Our Lord Jesus is not an animal. Nor is he merely a man. He is God.
Human beings are a form of animal. We are animals with the ability to know right from wrong, animals with an immortal soul. We are animals, PLUS. But still animals. We eat, sleep, procreate, need an appropriate environment (shelter for us), respond to threats with fight, flight or freeze, etc.: all animal instincts.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Human beings are a form of animal. We are animals with the ability to know right from wrong, animals with an immortal soul. We are animals, PLUS. But still animals. We eat, sleep, procreate, need an appropriate environment (shelter for us), respond to threats with fight, flight or freeze, etc.: all animal instincts.

Good Day OpenHeart

I disagree we are created in the image of God and have souls animals are not. Animals were created just like us, but they were created for us. Different categories of Gods handy work.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Human beings are a form of animal.
Not from a Biblical perspective. If you read Genesis there is a clear distinction between men and animals. Man is a special being created in the image of God, and we have dominion over the animals.

Of course, from a biological perspective we share traits with animals, such as being formed of matter and so forth.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Good day, Peace

I can not talk for Major ... But as for me no they do not offend me I do not think any one would find them offensive. I just think your understanding of them is incorrect and fails to follow historical sound biblical interpretation practices and thus your view and application is flawed.

"If the sentence is one of command, either forbidding a crime or vice, or enjoining an act of prudence or benevolence, it is not figurative. If, however, it seems to enjoin a crime or vice, or to forbid an act of prudence or benevolence, it is figurative. 'Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man,' says Christ, 'and drink His blood, ye have no life in you.' This seems to enjoin a crime or a vice; it is therefore a figure, enjoining that we should have a share in the sufferings of our Lord, and that we should retain a sweet and profitable memory of the fact that His flesh was wounded and crucified for us." - Augustine (On Christian Doctrine, 3:16:24)

In Him,

Bill
Augustine is of no help to you friend. His views on the Eucharist are those of the Catholic Church. I am on cell now but can provide you with the information later.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Augustine is of no help to you friend. His views on the Eucharist are those of the Catholic Church. I am on cell now but can provide you with the information later.

Good day, Peace

No need I am quite well read on Augustine. I am speaking of your own personal flawed personal interpretation of John 6. Now if you have a official document from your church that lays out their own supposed infallible view of this portion of scripture that would be fantastic...

I am not here to discuss the physical contradiction held by the roman church, as I am not a member of that church it has very little bearing on me at all, nor do I find their current views compelling in any fashion or means including historically.

Gelasius, Bishop of Rome (492-496): Surely the sacrament we take of the Lord’s body and blood is a divine thing, on account of which, and by the same we are made partakers of the divine nature; and yet the substance of the bread and wine does not cease to be. And certainly the image and similitude of Christ’s body and blood are celebrated in the action of the mysteries. (Tractatus de duabus naturis 14 [PL Sup.-III. 773]) See Francis Turretin, Institutes of Elenctic Theology, 3 Vols., trans. George Musgrave Giger and ed. James T. Dennison (Phillipsburg: reprinted by Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Co., 1992), Vol. 3, p. 479 (XVIII.xxvi.xx).

The thread is about the historical christian doctrine of Sola Scriptura and a working definition of said doctrine.

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Yep, metaphor. I highly doubt anyone would read that verse and think our Lord and Savior is made of wood and fastened to a door frame by three hinges.
OK. Jesus is the “door”, but he is not a door in the sense of wood and hinges. What does “body” refer to, if not the flesh of our Lord? In what sense is the word “body” used, if not its literal sense?

You have no substantive argument.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Good day, Peace

No need I am quite well read on Augustine. I am speaking of your own personal flawed personal interpretation of John 6. Now if you have a official document from your church that lays out their own supposed infallible view of this portion of scripture that would be fantastic...

I am not here to discuss the physical contradiction held by the roman church, as I am not a member of that church it has very little bearing on me at all, nor do I find there views compelling in any fashion or means including historically.

The thread is about the historical christian doctrine of Sola Scriptura and a working definition of said doctrine.

In Him,

Bill
Well we already refuted Sola Scriptura 7 pages ago.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well we already refuted Sola Scriptura 7 pages ago.

Good day, Peace

Um no... just showed your inability to understand it and accurately represent it which is not surprising.

In Him,

Bill

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day, Peace

Um no... just showed your inability to understand it and accurately represent it which is not surprising.

In Him,

Bill
I see that fairly often. Another poster started a so-called Sola Scriptura debate not long ago which ended up revolving around the fact that he didn't understand Sola Scriptura at all. I don't think the thread ever got to the point of discussing the doctrine itself, just the OP's misconception of it.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I read it.

I have one question. You said that I didn’t understand it. What part didn’t I understand?

Good Day, Peace

Your very first post had to do with the varied views of the book of Hebrews with in the canon of scripture.

That type of question is not germaine to the doctrine as I defined... I have a open thread on the NT canon if you would like to read that OP and discuss I would be more than happy.

NT contents and is authority needed?

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Good Day OpenHeart

I disagree we are created in the image of God and have souls animals are not. Animals were created just like us, but they were created for us. Different categories of Gods handy work.

In Him,

Bill
Like I said, we have souls, therefore we are animals PLUS. This is why drugs and stuff can be tested on animals before they are given to human beings -- precisely because we are as similar to animals as animals are to one another. Notice that God made all the animals, including humans, on the same day.

Animals were created firstly to give glory to God. Before human beings were created, animals still had a purpose and it was still good.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Not from a Biblical perspective. If you read Genesis there is a clear distinction between men and animals. Man is a special being created in the image of God, and we have dominion over the animals.
Notice that God made all the animals, including man, on the sixth day.

Like I said, we are animals PLUS. Because we are highly sentient animals, that is why God made us stewards of His garden.

Upvote 0