Sola Scriptura: Are the Scriptures Sufficient as a Rule of Faith?

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
2 Thessa 2:15 So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings c we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

Since nobody alive can hear Paul directly, all we have today are his writings. No living church official has written any Scripture.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
AS the OP was about 'the sufficiency of Scripture' that's what we should be trying to steer the discussion back to. And I think the thousands of denominations indicates most clearly that the Scriptures alone are insufficient. If they were sufficient all of these groups claiming to follow Scripture alone would have never disagreed and never diverged. There are two possible scenarios here. First is that Scripture is sufficient but only one group actually follows Scripture like they all claim to. Which is to say Scripture is sufficient only under the rarest of circumstances. Second is that Scripture just isn't sufficient at all and the result is conflict over what Scripture means.

A third possibility, and the one with the most value, is that Scripture is sufficient. Even if people interpret it differently, that doesn't diminish the truths of God found only in the Bible.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
which is a position anyone is free to take, just dont claim it is biblical.

It is biblical and has been proven so by many in this thread. Not everyone has to agree on that but that doesn't change was has been proven.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1) God is indeed alive today.
2) The Bible is the perfect word of God. If you don't understand it, don't criticize it.
Some people who proclaimed the Bible as the perfect word of God spent little time reading it and remembered little of it.

If you would proclaim perfection in the Bible, be sure to use the right verses in the proper context.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And the Catholic church doesn't put their own interpretation of Scripture out there as truth? And they don't have a whole bunch of man-made traditions? Give me a break!!

The Catholic church is 'The' church of Christ. It can trace its history right back to Peter.

The Holy spirit has guided the church and continues to do so. Even through stormy waters.

The gates of hell will not, and have not, prevailed.

We believe in Sacred Scripture AND Sacred Tradition. Apostolic succession. Such a wonderful God given blessing.

Since the reformation 1,000's of denominations have sprouted up on rocky ground. Each preaching their own 'unique' gospel. If Sola Scriptura was true and real, all those 1,000's of denominations would be singing from the same hymn sheet ;)

I rest my case and am now leaving this thread.

God bless you my dear friend in Christ

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is biblical and has been proven so by many in this thread
nope, not even close
Not everyone has to agree on that but that doesn't change was has been proven
it is not a matter of agreement, it is black or white. No where in scripture does it say that ONLY scripture is the rule of faith for a Christian.

QED

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some people who proclaimed the Bible as the perfect word of God spent little time reading it and remembered little of it.

If you would proclaim perfection in the Bible, be sure to use the right verses in the proper context.

What are you referring to in either of your statements?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic church is 'The' church of Christ. It can trace its history right back to Peter.
Well, if we were to use the yardstick that opponents of Sola Scriptura use against it, we would have to say, 'no, sorry. It cannot be 'The' church of Christ' for the simple reason that many people interpret the history and Scripture dealing with the establishment of Christ's church differently.

Since the reformation 1,000's of denominations have sprouted up on rocky ground. Each preaching their own 'unique' gospel. If Sola Scriptura was true and real, all those 1,000's of denominations would be singing from the same hymn sheet
I am truly sorry that, after all these threads and posts, people STILL do not know what Sola Scriptura means. :(

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
nope, not even close
it is not a matter of agreement, it is black or white. No where in scripture does it say that ONLY scripture is the rule of faith for a Christian.
It doesn't tell us that there is another one. What is the only possible way to make sense of that?

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am truly sorry that, after all these threads and posts, people STILL do not know what Sola Scriptura means. :(
oh, so we are to take the version you propose as the true meaning of SS. I'll let your fellow protestants discuss that with you ^_^

• Agree
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
nope, not even close

QED

Nowhere in Scripture does it say that the Pope is the final arbiter of truth. In fact, there is no mention of either the Catholic church or the Pope (or bishops, cardinals, etc.) in the Bible. These are man-made concepts only.

Jesus said -- pay attention! -- “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 There is no mention of anyone else (no Pope!)

Acts 4:12, also, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nowhere in Scripture does it say that the Pope is the final arbiter of truth. In fact, there is no mention of either the Catholic church or the Pope (or bishops, cardinals, etc.) in the Bible. These are man-made concepts only.
nice delflection. This thread is about SS. Anything else to offer?
Jesus said -- pay attention! -- “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 There is no mention of anyone else (no Pope!)
nothing about SS here.
Acts 4:12, also, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved
nothing about SS here

Anyone else?

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
oh, so we are to take the version you propose as the true meaning of SS.
I've never said that. I had just hoped that people who do not know what Sola Scriptura is would come to understand what they are attacking, whether or not they agree with it.

I don't see anything unreasonable about that. Catholics often say that critics of their church have been misinformed about the Eucharist or the Papacy or the saints, etc. and that's why they think some teaching is wrong, and, as a result, are attacking a misconception they've been taught by somebody or just arrived at by themselves.

They are always told that they need to get the facts before criticizing them. Our topic here--Sola Scriptura--is in the same category.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
there is another one, but we still have to get to the scripture that say ONLY. Let's all stay focused!
You say that there is another one. I know that. Bunches of them, in fact.

What I asked, however, was whether there was another one referred to in Scripture. There isn't. If there is no other, then there is only one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tradidi

Jul 3, 2020
Wanganui
✟2,614.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think this thread is a nice illustration why SS cannot and does not work.

Almost all comments so far (117+) have absolutely nothing to with the topic of this thread. If people cannot read and understand the few simple sentences of the OP in their own language, how on earth can they read and understand a whole whopper of a book that was written in a language they never spoke?

And if they do not have the discipline to stick to the topic being discussed, how on earth will they have the discipline to remain objective and focused when "searching the Scriptures"?

St. Peter was correct in saying that the unlearned (those who cannot read or understand what they read) and the unstable (those who cannot stay on topic) end up twisting the Scriptures unto their own destruction. Such people need someone or something else to do the learning and disciplining for them.

This then undermines, and I would even say disproves, the claim in the OP.

The Scriptures are NOT sufficient to function as a Rule of Faith.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Sola scriptura means to most people the application of sola scriptura. Since faith without works is dead, the theoretical idea of sola scriptura is meaningless.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You say that there is another one. I know that. Bunches of them, in fact.

What I asked, however, was whether there was another one referred to in Scripture. There isn't. If there is no other, then there is only one.
stay on topic please. Provide a scripture that say "only" scripture

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Claim: "The Scriptures are sufficient to function as a Rule of Faith."

Without application, the scriptures are insufficient.

What is learned from applying the scripture steers the interpretation of the scripture, thus scripture by itself is not sufficient.

Upvote 0