• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Sola Scriptura: Are the Scriptures Sufficient as a Rule of Faith?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Tradidi, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Tradidi

Tradidi Member

+35
    New Zealand
    Catholic
    Married
    This thread is in reply to a double invitation by @Athanasius377 to a debate (here and here).

The topic I proposed was Sola Scriptura, but @Athanasius377 chose to limit the scope of the debate to the sufficiency of the Scriptures. So here we go.

Based on James White's definition of Sola Scriptura (here), which I believe most Protestants can agree with, here is the claim I would like to discuss:

Claim: "The Scriptures are sufficient to function as a Rule of Faith."

Challenge: Prove it!

Rules: Be charitable and respectful, stick to the topic, be as brief and clear as possible.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ewq1938

ewq1938 A forest to be reckoned with Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+4,935
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Sola Scriptura in the bible:

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother? Supporter

+7,281
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    That passage literally argues against "sola scriptura".

4. ewq1938

+4,935
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    No, it shows people searching the scriptures to make sure something is correct so it is an example of Sola Scriptura.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. thecolorsblend

+7,281
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    They accepted doctrine given to them orally and then they ensured that it aligned with Sacred Scripture.

If you want to see something akin to "sola scriptura", go back a passage or two when the Jews of Thessalonica ran St. Paul out on a rail. That was "sola scriptura" in action. The Bereans? They accepted St. Paul's oral teaching. Spin that any way you want. But they accepted oral teaching.

That's not "sola scriptura".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. ewq1938

+4,935
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Only because they made sure it was in line with scripture. That's Sola Scriptura in action and preserved forever in the bible. What they did not do is simply accept was was taught and not check the scriptures to see if it was true. As you said, "they ensured that it aligned with Sacred Scripture".

7. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+6,536
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Sola Scriptura is a modern invention.

Oral teaching was the main for hundreds of years. The ordinary person firstly, was rather illiterate and secondly there was not enough written material to go around 'everyone'.

People always needed someone to 'interpret' scripture for them. This has continued from the Apostles.

8. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+4,077
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I'd say it isn't because the scripture describes processes to get wisdom that don't involve the book.

9. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann ...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me Supporter

+9,827
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    AND:

2 Timothy 3
    15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,424
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    No, they checked it against Sacred Scripture.

Abusive, uncharitable, and false.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. thecolorsblend

+7,281
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The relevant issue is they accepted oral teaching.

The Bereans did not practice "sola scriptura". Because it's a man-made doctrine and they were of a more noble character.

12. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann ...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me Supporter

+9,827
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    James 1
    5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. thecolorsblend

+7,281
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Hey, when you get a minute, can you post the scripture saying "scripture should be one's sole authority"? Thx.

14. Michael Collum

+4,077
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I think another good point is the reason why the bereans checked the scripture - it is because it was common practice back then for the messenger to explain from the prophets, that Jesus is the anointed.

They were noble not so much for checking the scripture, but checking what Paul was referring to, to see that Paul didn't make it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. ewq1938

+4,935
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    They didn't accept the teaching until they checked it against scripture. They allowed him to teach, receiving his teaching and then they double checked it to make sure it was scripturally sound. It is incorrect to say they accepted it/agreed with it because of the fact that they checked it against what is taught in scripture.

16. Michael Collum

+4,077
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Like that.

Romans 1
    19 ¶ Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse.

Apparently parable teaching from the creation works for a reason.

17. ewq1938

+4,935
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Which is the same thing so they were called noble for checking the scripture to see if his teachings were scripturally sound.

18. Michael Collum

+4,077
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    No, there's a nuance there -

It was noble for unbelievers. However, those who have the Holy Spirit already know.

19. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+3,330
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Rev 22

“Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. 11“Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy.”

12“Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. 13“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

14Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. 15Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

16“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”

17The Spirit and the bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

18I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

What do you suppose is "the book"

20. Philip_B

Philip_B all shall be well and all shall be well and ... Supporter

+4,709
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    The Revelation of St John The Divine.

To extend the meaning to the canon of the New Testament, or to the canon of the Old Testament, or both, would be a difficult argument to make.

You can not assume that the author thought he was writing something to be encapsulated in a collection of writings.

21. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,582
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” 2 Timothy 3:16–17 (NCPB)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List