onfire4Jesus

Mar 26, 2004
✟8,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Piano Player said:
Finding willing models can be frustrating sometimes. One thing to keep in mind is public events where it is considered appropriate to take pictures of strangers. For example, I live near Twinsburg, Ohio where they have an annual Twinsday festival. Twins come from around the world, and many times dress in elaborate costumes. Pictures are encouraged, and people come from around the world to do that as well. Other events include: St. Patricks day (or any other) parade, Sporting events, Weddings (if you are invited), and bithday parties. These are events where people expect to get their picture taken, and sometimes you can get them to stand or pose to satisfy your creative urge.
Twinsday festival? Wow. That's unique. :D Sounds like an interesting photo op. You make a good point. Don't you have to have a photo release form or something, though? Like if you ever want to enter a contest with it or something? Maybe I'm wrong about that. :scratch:

Upvote 0

SnowDove

Oct 1, 2004
✟1,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know what you mean about finding willing models. My sister is such a camara hog...she's so photogenic too...but she's in China for a year so I have no one now. That's sad to think about...next subject! Whenever I get the urge to photograph something, but there is really nothing to photograph, I go to the bathroom because the light is so neat and everything is so interesting! A photo of a toothbrush taken from a different point of view can be entertaining...and when a drop of water leaves the faucet...it's just fun to work with. So, it's not people, but it's funny! :D

Upvote 0

Piano Player

Order of the Candle
Apr 12, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
✟15,881.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
onfire4Jesus said:
Twinsday festival? Wow. That's unique. :D Sounds like an interesting photo op. You make a good point. Don't you have to have a photo release form or something, though? Like if you ever want to enter a contest with it or something? Maybe I'm wrong about that. :scratch:

This is not a legal opinion concerning any specific picture you have or may take in the future. If you want a legal opinion, contact an attorney in your area.

What that said, in the United states you are generaly allowed to take pictures of people in public where they have no reasonable expectation of privacy. (Don't take lots and lots of pictures of small children or another set of laws may come into play) The pictures can be used in a newsource as "reportage" without getting permission of the person who is the subject of the picture. If you want to use the picture for an advertisement or profit making enterprise, you need a model release from the subject. (you can find those online) Pictures submitted in a contest are a gray area (Is there a prize? An award? what is the contest called? i.e. "people in the news" is probably o.k.) However, rather than take a chance most contests require a model release for any picture of a person who can be recognized in the picture.

You can walk up to a stranger in public, and take a picture without their permission. However, I don't like to confront people like that so I go to events like parades when I want to take street pictures or people pictures. There is somthing about the parade that makes folks think that picture taking is a normal activity. If I thought I was going to sell the picture or enter it into a contest I woud definetely ask for a signed model release.

Upvote 0