So what do ya think?

onfire4Jesus

Mar 26, 2004
✟8,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As some of you know, I'm a photography nut. I just thought that I would share a couple pics with y'all. Constructive criticism needed here! Please feel free to critique. Thanks!

1: Just a random shot. Really don't know what the inspiration for this was. :p I did a bunch of stuff (couldn't tell you what) in PS.
2: I saw this in my front yard. Thought it was pretty cool. No adjustments made.
3, 4, 5: These are the ones that I really want your opinions on. I can't decide if they are good or just weird. I deviated from my original idea, but I think you still get the point. I was trying to show the natural progression of life. Yeah, I'm getting all deep now. ;) :D

Attachments

• marble and hand copy.jpg
    marble and hand copy.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Pa172115 copy.jpg
    Pa172115 copy.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 78
  • Pb152339 copy.jpg
    Pb152339 copy.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Pb152349 copy.jpg
    Pb152349 copy.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Pb152351 copy.jpg
    Pb152351 copy.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 63

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Three and four don't really work for me. Perhaps if you really stopped down the aperture, you might get both flowers in focus, and it'd work a lot better. Without some kind of pattern going out of focus into the distance, it's just annoying to have part of the subject out of focus. I do like five though. It's a good macro with nice lines and colors

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aperture is a pretty standard adjustment. Assuming you have a decent camera, it shouldn't be hard to stop it down. If you have manual exposure controls and DON'T have manual aperture controls (some cheap but relatively well built cameras do this to save on cost) then just set it for a longer exposure and let the camera set the aperture automatically.

You might also try zooming out and moving the camera closer. The further you zoom in, the shorter your depth of field gets though sometimes this effect is nice if you want to blur the background.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Piano Player

Order of the Candle
Apr 12, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
✟15,881.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
onfire4Jesus said:
Really? I didn't know that about zooming in. That's good to know.

I know some about the aperture setting, I just really don't like messing with it. I do need to practice and mess around with it, though.

Thanks!
Many cameras have an aperture priority mode. This is especially useful in macro or closeup photography. Set the camera for the smallest (largest number) aperture, and you will have maximum depth of field for a particular subject. Be careful about what shutter speed you get, and use a tripod, if necessary. As mentioned above, the focal length of the lens has a lot to do with depth of field. The wider (smaller number) the lens, the more depth of field it will have.

Another thing to consider is that if your plane of focus is too narrow for your subject, consider changing the angle so that more of the subject is the same distance from the camera. (The old tilt shift lenses could do this from many angles) For example, a more "front on" picture of the flower would have a narrower subject area that would have to be in focus. Of course, this would change the composition, so you have to decide which compromise you want to make.

Upvote 0

SnowDove

Oct 1, 2004
✟1,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow...I actually disagree about the focus of the flowers. I love how one is in and one is out...but that's just preference. The first one is really creative and interesting, but perhaps if you went for a different effect, it would enhance it more. You almost dull the whole mystical feel of the marble and such. I'd go with something to bring out the light that shines through the marble...maybe even play with it in Photoshop (if you have it) to make the light in the marble unreal. The second one is beautiful...reminds me of my very first photo, actually! If you have photoshop again (it's a great program...I live on it), you could play with the color of the leaf and make it brighter and more at the peak of a autumn leaf's color. I actually disagree about the third and fourth ones as well...I love the fact that they are dying...it goes with the rustic feel of the background. Once again, that's preference...but I get you on that one. Really great...truly beautiful shots!!! :D:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SnowDove

Oct 1, 2004
✟1,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
onfire4Jesus said:
Thank you so much SnowDove! You have a good point about that first picture. Thank you for your nice comments. Do you take a lot of pics?
You're very welcome! They have style...something that really sets photographers apart. I haven't had oodles of time to take pics lately, but opportunities to work for others have popped up. I work for a Sports Action Photo business taking action pics...and I also am on the photography team at my church (of about 7000) which is basically a dream-come-true! Actually, tonight was the first of two nights for Harvest Fest when everyone brings in their kids all dressed up for Halloween and they play games and such. They are such munchkins...SO adorable! There were PLENTY of great pic opportunities! I'm actually on my way to looking at them. I prefer to take photos of people...I have a good friend that likes nature shots...everyone has their niche!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

onfire4Jesus

Mar 26, 2004
✟8,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SnowDove said:
You're very welcome! They have style...something that really sets photographers apart. I haven't had oodles of time to take pics lately, but opportunities to work for others have popped up. I work for a Sports Action Photo business taking action pics...and I also am on the photography team at my church (of about 7000) which is basically a dream-come-true! Actually, tonight was the first of two nights for Harvest Fest when everyone brings in their kids all dressed up for Halloween and they play games and such. They are such munchkins...SO adorable! There were PLENTY of great pic opportunities! I'm actually on my way to looking at them. I prefer to take photos of people...I have a good friend that likes nature shots...everyone has their niche!!! :wave:
Thanks again. I work for a portrait photographer during the summer, and I really enjoy it. I too prefer taking pictures of people (depending) but I've kinda run out of models. :D My family is really tired of posing for me.
That sounds like fun being your church photographer! I'm kinda the photographer for my homeschool group, but it's incredibly small...and I'm not the only photographer. Anyone can take, actually, they just never do. So...I get stuck with the job. ;) I'd love to see some of your work sometime!

Oh, and I do have photoshop. I have Elements and PS 6.0. I've used them some (I've replaced heads, eyes, and removed emblems off of shirts). It's really complicated and confusing for me. I guess it just takes practice.

And thanks for your comment brinny!

Upvote 0

Piano Player

Order of the Candle
Apr 12, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
✟15,881.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
onfire4Jesus said:
I too prefer taking pictures of people (depending) but I've kinda run out of models. :D My family is really tired of posing for me.
Finding willing models can be frustrating sometimes. One thing to keep in mind is public events where it is considered appropriate to take pictures of strangers. For example, I live near Twinsburg, Ohio where they have an annual Twinsday festival. Twins come from around the world, and many times dress in elaborate costumes. Pictures are encouraged, and people come from around the world to do that as well. Other events include: St. Patricks day (or any other) parade, Sporting events, Weddings (if you are invited), and bithday parties. These are events where people expect to get their picture taken, and sometimes you can get them to stand or pose to satisfy your creative urge.

Upvote 0