Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
just by announcing it he devalues the US reputation.
Although I am exceedingly skeptical of the judgement of a large swath of American voters (Trump voters, obviously), I think most people's response to the orange nightmare, outside the USA, is pity for the majority of Americans who are doubtless experiencing never-ending tremors of embarrassment on behalf of the nation as a whole.

Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Although I am exceedingly skeptical of the judgement of a large swath of American voters (Trump voters, obviously), I think most people's response to the orange nightmare, outside the USA, is pity for the majority of Americans who are doubtless experiencing never-ending tremors of embarrassment on behalf of the nation as a whole.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thoughts?
I presume come November, the new administration will be grovelling back to all these global groups, and trying hard to get US back into a leadership or at least influential position on the global scene.

Problem is the world is realising that they can do it without US and that come the next election after the 2020 one US might again be pulling out of global groups and global leadership.

USA is now a flip flop between being involved in the world and supportive of allies vs going it alone, trying to bully and coerce others (including allies) to the sole benefit of USA.

• Agree
Reactions: ximmix
Upvote 0

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,941.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I presume come November, the new administration will be grovelling back to all these global groups, and trying hard to get US back into a leadership or at least influential position on the global scene.

Problem is the world is realising that they can do it without US and that come the next election after the 2020 one US might again be pulling out of global groups and global leadership.

USA is now a flip flop between being involved in the world and supportive of allies vs going it alone, trying to bully and coerce others (including allies) to the sole benefit of USA.

Ur right. It will take many years for other nations to trust the US again, regardless of who wins the election.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ur right. It will take many years for other nations to trust the US again, regardless of who wins the election.
I am not so skeptical. I suggest that Donald Trump is most likely a "blip" - the most likely scenario is that reason and America's strong institutions will prevail. In 10 years, I would bet we will look back on this time and both shudder and laugh.

The people who I think will not be laughing, however, will be those who had publicly identified as defenders of Mr. Trump's behaviour (here, I am being careful to distinguish between Mr. Trump's inane personal comportment and his policies). These people, I will suggest, will, and rightly so I suggest, be objects of ridicule.

Here's the thing: right now, it is perhaps understandable that some still defend Trump - after all, he is "their guy" and it may well be that these Trump supporters have been treated roughly by others. And we all get our backs up when challenged.

But you (Trump supporters) need to take the long view. In 10 years, when your 8 year old grand-daughter looks you in eye and asks "Grandpa, how could you have supported that awful man?", what are you going to say? At that point, all the squabbles you are engaged in today will be forgotten, and all we will have is the video and twitter record of the utterly abominable behaviour of this President. I would not want to be in the awkward position of being a Trump supporter at that time.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,941.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I am not so skeptical. I suggest that Donald Trump is most likely a "blip" - the most likely scenario is that reason and America's strong institutions will prevail. In 10 years, I would bet we will look back on this time and both shudder and laugh.

The people who I think will not be laughing, however, will be those who had publicly identified as defenders of Mr. Trump's behaviour (here, I am being careful to distinguish between Mr. Trump's inane personal comportment and his policies). These people, I will suggest, will, and rightly so I suggest, be objects of ridicule.

Here's the thing: right now, it is perhaps understandable that some still defend Trump - after all, he is "their guy" and it may well be that these Trump supporters have been treated roughly by others. And we all get our backs up when challenged.

But you (Trump supporters) need to take the long view. In 10 years, when your 8 year old grand-daughter looks you in eye and asks "Grandpa, how could you have supported that awful man?", what are you going to say? At that point, all the squabbles you are engaged in today will be forgotten, and all we will have is the video and twitter record of the utterly abominable behaviour of this President. I would not want to be in the awkward position of being a Trump supporter at that time.

You're a bit more optimistic than me, but I think ou might be right. And for sure, Trump supporters will be asked many hard questions by their kids/grandkids in the future...

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're a bit more optimistic than me, but I think ou might be right.
I think one needs to reflect on the strengths of the American "system" in spite of the current convulsion of lunacy. There is the division of powers which limits the damage the Tangerine Tornado can inflict. And there is the long, long tradition of a free press that, historically, has been an effective means of keeping American democracy relatively stable. And, matters of the system aside, Mr. Trump would arguably not even be in the White House were it not for the electoral college system and a perfect storm of other factors in 2016, not least that Hillary Clinton had all the charisma of a stale loaf of bread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,941.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
not least that Hillary Clinton had all the charisma of a stale loaf of bread

Hehe I agree. I actually think she would have been a great president, despite all the attempts to discredit her, she had the passion to do things right I think. But as you say, not the most charismatic person on earth...

Upvote 0