Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Refreshing myself on some of Cruz's stances, I think he would actually make a pretty good AG. He wouldn't be afraid to take on anyone either, regardless of political identity.
I have little use for Cruz.

HOWEVER, I think that he would be a better, and less controversial AG than Giuliani or Christie or some of the others that have been mentioned, like the guy who is updating his proposal for a Muslim registry.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have little use for Cruz.

HOWEVER, I think that he would be a better, and less controversial AG than Giuliani or Christie or some of the others that have been mentioned, like the guy who is updating his proposal for a Muslim registry.
Pretty much my thoughts. Cruz is also staunchly against civil forfeiture and wants drug legalization to be handled by the states. Most of his more abhorrent beliefs don't come into play as AG.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

fargonic

Nov 15, 2014
✟14,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I watched hundreds of hours of coverage on all the networks. Voters voted FOR Trump because they thought that he understood their pain wanted a change from a government run by Washington And Wall Street elites.

I don't know if I met any non-alt-right folks who actually liked having Trump as their choice. I, too, suffered through many, many hours of watching the news over the 18 months of the campaign and I saw countless voters say exactly that: they didn't like Trump but the alternative was "worse". IN FACT if you paid attention, almost none of the standard GOP power structure liked Trump. At all. Even Paul Ryan hedged on supporting Trump.

Those folks who thought Trump understood their pain were definitely in existence, but most Republicans seemed to support him as a reason to NOT let HIllary in office.

The reality, of course, is that the business conflicts of Trump and Giuliani are much worse than that of the the Clintons.

Indeed. Trump was so patently a can of worms that it boggles the mind how anyone would have voted FOR him or even AGAINST HILLARY knowing he'd be the one who got in!

I'm willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt and assume that since he's only over one branch of the government that his more shall we say "controversial" statements/promises/claims will ultimately be left on the side of the road. Because God help us if the people who actively voted FOR what he said actually get their wishes.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt and assume that since he's only over one branch of the government that his more shall we say "controversial" statements/promises/claims will ultimately be left on the side of the road. Because God help us if the people who actively voted FOR what he said actually get their wishes.

I agree.

The folks who actively voted for what Trump said, and his stated positions, are indeed the same folks that Breitbart has been whipping up since a black president was elected. The whitelash shouldn't be ignored.

Yes, we have 3 branches. Ryan, McConnell, other senators (R and D) all have been very strongly and very publicly against the positions of Trump. Obvious, the Supreme Court is 3 appointments away from allowing much of what Bannon's folks want to do.

We shall see what Trump does by Executive Order.
===================
Many have criticized the role of Trump's family. I do not. I hope they are close to every executive decision he makes (certainly Ivanca and her husband). I think that we are all OK with regard to the checks and balances with regard to legislative decisions.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know if I met any non-alt-right folks who actually liked having Trump as their choice.

Well, of course Trump isn't the first choice of the alt right. David Duke couldn't get the nomination.

One would hope that Trump would simply walk away from these backers, as Reagan did. This may seem weird, but I trust Trump and his historical legislative positions. He has little interest in abandoning those helped by ObamaCare. He wants to protect Social Security and Medicare. He accepts gay rights. He wants a major infrastructure spending program. I'm even OK on a revision of NAFTA. After all, NAFTA is decades old, and even the Mexican government has agreed to start negotiations. He's wrong on the Asian trade deal, as most Republican senators know; but he'll get Sanders/Warren anti-trade votes when he needs them. And yes, I'm even OK on corporate tax changes (reducing rates, reducing loopholes, punishing those moving jobs out, and rewarding those who move money back). Obviously, the personal income tax gift to the rich shouldn't happen, but probably will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fargonic

Nov 15, 2014
✟14,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, of course Trump isn't the first choice of the alt right. David Duke couldn't get the nomination.

READING COMPREHENSION ALERT: I said "NON-alt-right" (meaning people who AREN'T alt-right.) Because you know the Alt-Right LOVED Trump for much the same reason David Duke and KKK loved Trump! (And why it's so nice Trump named the alt-right spokescreature, Steve Bannon, to his team!)

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
READING COMPREHENSION ALERT: I said "NON-alt-right" (meaning people who AREN'T alt-right.) Because you know the Alt-Right LOVED Trump for much the same reason David Duke and KKK loved Trump! (And why it's so nice Trump named the alt-right spokescreature, Steve Bannon, to his team!)
Thank you for the correction. Occasionally, we all misread.

However, I would guess that much of what Trump believes is unacceptable to the alt-right. For example, Trump is pro-Israel, and certainly has no animus against Jews.

Upvote 0

fargonic

Nov 15, 2014
✟14,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the correction. Occasionally, we all misread.

However, I would guess that much of what Trump believes is unacceptable to the alt-right. For example, Trump is pro-Israel, and certainly has no animus against Jews.

That's probably true and Trump is also known as being tolerant of the LGBTQ community.

Trump is a true mystery.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's probably true and Trump is also known as being tolerant of the LGBTQ community.

Trump is a true mystery.
I don't think he's a big mystery.
I don't think that he concerns himself with moral issues one way or the other. He is a business man an that is ultimately where is loyalties lie.

Upvote 0