So many different Bible reading plans, can't decide which one to use

Naomanos

Jan 27, 2011
✟8,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been all the way through the Bible before, just reading from Gen 1 through Rev 22 without a plan. Now I am looking for something different, a different way of reading the Bible.

I am more of a direct reader, preferring not to just open up the Bible and read from that page, or do a topic or book study.

I'm not a note taker (never been good at it anyway) and I am not someone who journals (as evidenced by my lack of note taking or ability to take notes).

I have looked at Youversion's reading plans and again there are just so many that I don't know what to choose.

If it helps any, I am currently reading from a ESV Study Bible.

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Try reading a different bible translation... I have a complete Hebrew bible(it's in English/Hebrew)...makes for good reading/studying/research.

Also, when I'm going through a problem/setback etc...I will look at a similar or same incidence of that problem/setback in the bible and read from whichever book that contains that "issue".

Upvote 0

Naomanos

Jan 27, 2011
✟8,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Try reading a different bible translation... I have a complete Hebrew bible(it's in English/Hebrew)...makes for good reading/studying/research.

Also, when I'm going through a problem/setback etc...I will look at a similar or same incidence of that problem/setback in the bible and read from whichever book that contains that "issue".

This is actually a new translation for me. I have never read through the ESV before.

Like I said, I'm looking for a reading plan at this time.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Think about a question you'd like answered, an emphasis you'd like to pursue, or something else that you feel needs attention right now. Plan that it will be temporary, and you can return to another plan any time.

Some angles that people have approached study from: Psalm types, writings of the Exodus and early Promised Land, following Paul's journeys, readings that align with fruits of the spirit (love joy peace patience...), books of wisdom, old and new testament prophecy, messianic passages and parallels, how faith is expressed, chronology/time lines (there's even a Bible arranged that way), Jesus' words... as you say, there are many.

I like to listen to the Bible on tape for a different flow -- when it seems more like storytelling, I pick up different things. I like to take notes and research word meanings, and since you asked to avoid those, I will not list those types of ideas.

An easy plan -- make studylight.org your home page, and read what they post every day. I prefer to determine my own reading plan, but switch ideas and approaches.

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
OP. when I first became born again, I was also reading from A to Z, that is from Genesis to Revelation.
But an amazing thing did happen though. Whenever I got to a verse or chapter that The Lord wants to speak to me about, I feel The power of the Holy Spirit like a ministration to my heart, and I get something from that verse like a confirmation of what The Lord is doing or about to do.
I actually liked my style of reading. I would start all over again when I finished Revelation. I did that for about three times.
But now, I read as directed or guided by The Holy Spirit. I even get some verses in my dream/vision right before I wake up.
I think you should read as you feel led. Don;t be bound by what others do or how they do their own things.
Pray To God to direct you and your reading plan, and follow His lead. Let your heart lead because you will know its from The Lord, and let The Lord speak to you through what you read as well so that you don't just read it without any meaning or purpose.

Upvote 0