Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tebow, Jesus, And Other Irrelevancies
Dirk Hayhurst

I’ve weighed in on the Tebow issue before, several times in fact. But, it really is like the gift that keeps on giving… reasons for me to rant about in print.

I got on the Twitter last night and fired out a couple of comments I would like to hear Tim Tebow say. Now, to be clear, I’m not anti-Tebow. I’m anti-Tebowmania. I like the guy. I think he’s doing the best he can with what he’s got, and I don’t think that it’s his fault that all this religious scrutiny is thrust on his shoulders. He’s passionate, young, zealous, and trying to live his faith the way he believes it should be lived.

That’s actually what gets me worked up, that Tim is doing what he believes he should be, expressing his faith the way he feels an athlete should— a belief that is really not his own, but the prevailing belief of Christianity in America: if you can become relevant enough through what the world thinks is important—fame, money, power—you can become a much better mouthpiece for God. It’s as if we feel God is a god of pop culture, and he needs to be at the forefront of it to make an impact; that the most holy thing we can do is get ahold of the mic for fifteen minutes.

This is not Tim’s idea, it’s simply the execution of the a commonly accepted faith delivery system in America. Christians have been looking to celebrities to champion their cause for a long time now, because it honestly thinks the faith needs them too. I’m also a Christian athlete, and when I first got into this gig, I did so under the thinking that I was going to save the world through sports by wielding the social power inherit within. God would “bless me” by getting me to the big leagues as a side effect of wanting his message spread. In fact, within my Christian circles, if I didn’t make it to the Bigs to do God’s work, I was in some way wasting the talents God gave me. There is this thinking that in order to do the faith right you need to know how to manipulate your vocation properly to capitalize on how obsessed we all are with jobs, status, and titles. The more important job you have, the more recognizable your title, the more weight your testimony is given through it. Therefore, try to be as rich, powerful and famous as you can because you’ll not only get more opportunities to talk about God, people will also care about what you say more.

This is a very sad fact. Deny it if you must, but everyday we spend on, turn the channel to, and buy the brands of what we truly feel is important, then link God to them as a way of advertising the belief. Dress it up if you want, pour out your Christienese and religious code wording, but it’s all a perpetuation of the Prosperity Gospel in the end. We acknowledge those with fame, power, and money as reaching the pinnacle of our culture’s definition of success. The Church says they were blessed there. The other rich, famous, but non-believing… well, they just got lucky. I’ve always found that part disturbing. I mean, riches for entertaining, fame, glam; they’re some of the most hollow and distracting things in our world. Yet, when a Christian has them, they are blessed. What gives?

In some ways, I think Tebow is one of the worst things to happen to Christianity. For many, his fame and hype will keep the idea that God is a God who not only wants you to be rich, powerful and socially relevant to do his work, he needs you to be. Again, none of this is Tebow’s fault. It’s our fault. There are 300,000,000 professed followers of a poor, homeless, carpenter in America today, and most of us are an embrassement to the faith because we’re stagnant in our worry about money, status, and occupation. That’s why I found myself wanting to hear Tebow acknowledge our faith’s sad state, if only so the throng of Christians hanging on his play and commentary would get a wakeup call.

Ref. Dirk Hayhurst » Blog Archive » Tebow, Jesus, And Other Irrelevancies

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dirk Hayhurst

I’ve weighed in on the Tebow issue before, several times in fact. But, it really is like the gift that keeps on giving… reasons for me to rant about in print.

I got on the Twitter last night and fired out a couple of comments I would like to hear Tim Tebow say. Now, to be clear, I’m not anti-Tebow. I’m anti-Tebowmania. I like the guy. I think he’s doing the best he can with what he’s got, and I don’t think that it’s his fault that all this religious scrutiny is thrust on his shoulders. He’s passionate, young, zealous, and trying to live his faith the way he believes it should be lived.

That’s actually what gets me worked up, that Tim is doing what he believes he should be, expressing his faith the way he feels an athlete should— a belief that is really not his own, but the prevailing belief of Christianity in America: if you can become relevant enough through what the world thinks is important—fame, money, power—you can become a much better mouthpiece for God. It’s as if we feel God is a god of pop culture, and he needs to be at the forefront of it to make an impact; that the most holy thing we can do is get ahold of the mic for fifteen minutes.

This is not Tim’s idea, it’s simply the execution of the a commonly accepted faith delivery system in America. Christians have been looking to celebrities to champion their cause for a long time now, because it honestly thinks the faith needs them too. I’m also a Christian athlete, and when I first got into this gig, I did so under the thinking that I was going to save the world through sports by wielding the social power inherit within. God would “bless me” by getting me to the big leagues as a side effect of wanting his message spread. In fact, within my Christian circles, if I didn’t make it to the Bigs to do God’s work, I was in some way wasting the talents God gave me. There is this thinking that in order to do the faith right you need to know how to manipulate your vocation properly to capitalize on how obsessed we all are with jobs, status, and titles. The more important job you have, the more recognizable your title, the more weight your testimony is given through it. Therefore, try to be as rich, powerful and famous as you can because you’ll not only get more opportunities to talk about God, people will also care about what you say more.

This is a very sad fact. Deny it if you must, but everyday we spend on, turn the channel to, and buy the brands of what we truly feel is important, then link God to them as a way of advertising the belief. Dress it up if you want, pour out your Christienese and religious code wording, but it’s all a perpetuation of the Prosperity Gospel in the end. We acknowledge those with fame, power, and money as reaching the pinnacle of our culture’s definition of success. The Church says they were blessed there. The other rich, famous, but non-believing… well, they just got lucky. I’ve always found that part disturbing. I mean, riches for entertaining, fame, glam; they’re some of the most hollow and distracting things in our world. Yet, when a Christian has them, they are blessed. What gives?

In some ways, I think Tebow is one of the worst things to happen to Christianity. For many, his fame and hype will keep the idea that God is a God who not only wants you to be rich, powerful and socially relevant to do his work, he needs you to be. Again, none of this is Tebow’s fault. It’s our fault. There are 300,000,000 professed followers of a poor, homeless, carpenter in America today, and most of us are an embrassement to the faith because we’re stagnant in our worry about money, status, and occupation. That’s why I found myself wanting to hear Tebow acknowledge our faith’s sad state, if only so the throng of Christians hanging on his play and commentary would get a wakeup call.

I think your points are well taken but I would submit that Jesus was neirther poor nor homeless. He willingly became an itinerant preacher leaving a lucrative profession and home behind to do so. One that chooses to live a spartan existence with no lasting abode is not actually poor or homeless but rather simply places value on things that are not the societal norm.

Reactions: dkbwarrior
Upvote 0

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dirk Hayhurst

These are all good points, though I see the same irony here that I see in those that are against healing in the atonement, or the promises of prosperity. The story often goes like this:

I was in the _ (insert promise here)__ movement. And I realized that my perpetual seeking after _____________ had never gotten me ____________. My eyes were opened and now I see that the ____________ movement is based on seeking something other than God. So now I am against the ____________ movement.

Of course, what these people missed was motive. Such movements are predicated upon seeking God first to begin with. It is not that the 'thing' is wrong, but that the reaction to the 'thing' is wrong, spurred by wrong motives, in those poeple.

That is what this man did, only with the issue of fame. From His own words:

I’m also a Christian athlete, and when I first got into this gig, I did so under the thinking that I was going to save the world through sports by wielding the social power inherit within. God would “bless me” by getting me to the big leagues as a side effect of wanting his message spread.

So the author got into aports searching for the wrong thing himself, fame, rather than God. And he didn't get it, so now he is against it. Never realizing that there is nothing inherently wrong with fame, but that his own motives betrayed him, as it is not the 'thing' that we are called to pursue, but rather God that we are called to pursue. Then, he turns around and projects his faulty motives onto Tebow, assuming because he sought after fame for the wrong reasons, and Tebow has aquired what he himself sought but failed to obtain, that Tebow must then be seeking fame also. Never even considering that possibly Tebow sought God, not fame, and therefore found fame. People do the same thing to rich folk, thinking that all a rich person does is seek money, forgetting the whole biblical principle that Solomon showed us by becoming the wealthiest man in history, only after having sought the wisdom of God first, above wealth.

I believe fame can provide a platform of influence for the gospel, but I am not seeking fame, I am seeking God. I believe in healing, but I am not seeking healing, I am seeking God. I believe in faith, but I am not seeking faith, I am seeking God. I believe in prosperity, but I am not seeking properity, I am seeking God. A platform of influence, healing, faith and prosperity come as a result of seeking God through His Word, not from seeking the things themselse. However, none of these 'things' are bad in and of themselves.

The irony of the article is his ending statement, in which he admits wanting Tebow to use his fame enabled influence to to decry such fame enable influence. It seems that even after identifying the promblem, he is still not free of it:

That’s why I found myself wanting to hear Tebow acknowledge our faith’s sad state, if only so the throng of Christians hanging on his play and commentary would get a wakeup call.

Peace...

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think your points are well taken but I would submit that Jesus was neirther poor nor homeless. He willingly became an itinerant preacher leaving a lucrative profession and home behind to do so. One that chooses to live a spartan existence with no lasting abode is not actually poor or homeless but rather simply places value on things that are not the societal norm.
And that is what, Hagin 3:16? :)

~Jim

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟707,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, and just my opinion here:

How was it put? Teebow mania. It will not be gone because there will always be people keeping it going. From the supporters, to people like the blogpost to the comics that ridicule.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟707,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would venture that he has been as strong with his stance on his faith for a long time.

God takes a natural talent,
The man works his best at his trade

He becomes successful and gives glory to God.

And Christians complain

How pathetic.

Reactions: dkbwarrior
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟136,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, as a Steelers fan still reeling from what can only be defined as a playoff game the Broncos won through divine intervention (316 yards? 31.6 yards/completion? Really?), there might be something to this whole Tebow thing...

(I kid. A little...)

:cool:

Upvote 0

liketotalk

Veteran
Jan 24, 2007
Sunny Florida
✟20,904.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would venture that he has been as strong with his stance on his faith for a long time.

And Christians complain

How pathetic.

Great post! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And that is what, Hagin 3:16? :)

~Jim

I have no idea what you are referring to with the Hagin 3:16. Perhaps you might explain it. Does Hagin 3:16 have some meaning? Is there a person of your acquaintence named Hagin that holds the opinion that Jesus was not poor and homeless from circumstances beyond His control but chose to abandon wealth and home because his work was important and the values he exemplified were not materialistic? Are you somehow attempting to contest what I posted by this vague reference? I would be interested to see you do so if you believe that I was mistaken rather than posting something for which I have no clue as to what you are trying communicate.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives

And Christians complain

How pathetic.

I think the greatest threat to Christianity is the fact that we can complain about someone who doesn't just talk the talk but who's willing to walk the walk. The fact that this comes from those who are called to protect and oversee the body amazes me.

To me it makes no difference that he lost or what he did when he won, how did he handle it when it wasn't great? Did he start swearing and deny God, or did he thank God? If he gives glory to God in all things, what an amazing role model in a world that has few. Those who are faithful in the little will be given more, but apparently this is not good and we should curse it.:doh:

I'm actually surprising how amazed I was at reading the OP. I'm not sure why yet, but I hope it somehow changes me in a good way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, as a Steelers fan still reeling from what can only be defined as a playoff game the Broncos won through divine intervention (316 yards? 31.6 yards/completion? Really?), there might be something to this whole Tebow thing...

(I kid. A little...)

:cool:

My son plays rep hockey. He prays that he'll win, and sometimes he says God helps him. I tell him that God is not interested in him winning hockey He's interested in his attitude while playing. One may argue that God really helps him, I actually believes He does, but at the end, God wants him to have enough character to work hard, do his best, then trust that whatever happens is ok. There may be Christians on the team he's playing against, God loves them just as much so he's not rooting for you or against you, but let your light shine before men in all situations so they can see that there is more to you than just the game.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hasn’t there always been Christians in sports? In football alone I can mention:

Bobby Bowden - college football coach
Dennis Byrd - former profession football player
Vince Carter - professional football player
Bob Christian - professional football player
Randall Cunningham - professional football player

Joe Gibbs - former professional football coach
Rosie Grier - former professional football player
Tom Landry - former professional football coach
Dan Reeves - professional football coach
Frank Reich - professional football player
Eugene Robinson - professional football player
Deion Sanders - professional football player
Mike Singletary - former professional football player
Gene Stallings - former college football coach
Emmitt Smith - professional football player
Kurt Warner - professional football player
Reggie White - former professional football player
Lenny Wilkens - professional basketball coach

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

And this doesn’t include basketball, baseball, golf, skating, track and field, etc.

I wouldn’t say that Tim Tebow (God bless him) is a fulfillment of divine prophecy.

~Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hasn’t there always been Christians in sports? In football alone I can mention:

Bobby Bowden - college football coach
Dennis Byrd - former profession football player
Vince Carter - professional football player
Bob Christian - professional football player
Randall Cunningham - professional football player

Joe Gibbs - former professional football coach

Rosie Grier - former professional football player
Tom Landry - former professional football coach
Dan Reeves - professional football coach
Frank Reich - professional football player
Eugene Robinson - professional football player
Deion Sanders - professional football player
Mike Singletary - former professional football player
Gene Stallings - former college football coach
Emmitt Smith - professional football player
Kurt Warner - professional football player
Reggie White - former professional football player
Lenny Wilkens - professional basketball coach

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

And this doesn’t include basketball, baseball, golf, skating, track and field, etc.

I wouldn’t say that Tim Tebow (God bless him) is a fulfillment of divine prophecy.

~Jim

Good point. Plus, I wouldn't consider Tebow to be the "top" in football, not even close. He's very rough in a great many areas as far as refining skill is concerned, and he's fortunate that McGahee had a decent year (when he wasn't hurt) to ensure there was an alternate running game to assist him.

I heard on the radio yesterday that John Elway will be helping him out in the offseason. If I were a QB, I'd be hard-pressed to think of anyone better to take me under their wing.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟707,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

~Jim

Did someone say he was? Or maybe he is just one of many.

Look at the bright side - more to target!

Upvote 0