• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

So I'm a self harmer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazeyWinde

Blue Girl in a Spacey Haze
Nov 17, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,127.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
First off I'd like to say that it's encouraging to see that there are other Christians struggling with self harm. Obviously it's not good that we're hurting ourselves but it's nice that now I can talk to other believers about this and know they understand it- at least more than Christians that never hurt themselves on purpose. I've tried explaining it to family and friends that are Christians and I either felt like they were disgusted, frightened or confused and not like they understood it at at all.
:groupray:

I first self harmed 5 years ago and did it off and on for around 2 years, not knowing what I was doing, only that I wound up hurting myself whenever I got really angry and/or frustrated. I knew I wasn't trying to kill myself, just to let out the anger.
I moved out of home to live with friends in another state and didn't self harm the entire time I was away from home though I felt the urge to do so a few times. My youngest sister got into self harm and while I was away my mother told me about it and showed me some websites so I got to be a little more aware of what I was into. Earlier this year I joined an anxiety chatroom and befriended some self harmers and learned a lot from them (No, not other ways to hurt myself but why we self harm and ways to avoid it) .
It wasn't until I moved back home that I realized that self harming is like alcoholism, you can go for years without self harming but still be one like an alcoholic will always be an alcoholic even after years of sobriety. Within a week after I moved back 'home' I started having bad fights with my brother and father and I went back to self harming. :(
I went to an ER twice two nights in a row, not because of my injuries (they were not serious) but because I was hoping to get put in the mental ward so I could get away from my father and brother constantly triggering me. The counselors in both ERs thought since I wasn't suicidal they didn't need to keep me so I was released whether I wanted to be or not. I take paxil for anxiety, I was only taking it once a day but the second counselor I saw figured it was wearing off two quickly that way so she recomended that I break the pills in half and take half a paxil twice a day. It has helped with my anxiety and self harm (Haven't hurt myself since then and that was late September) but I still go through bad spells like this past wek where my anxiety is nearly unbearable and I really wanna hurt myself. Yesterday was the worst day I'd had in a long time and I came really close to self harming, but I joined this forum and hung out in the chatroom and the urge to selfharm wore off. I'm a lot better today, more calm and don't feel like hurting myself, at least for now.
Avoiding what triggers me and distracting myself seem to be my best coping skills. I read a lot of books and spend a lot of time online doing whatever I come across to entertain me.

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
thank you for sharing your struggle. I know what it's like to live with difficult people too. We need to continue in prayers for them. Also I recommend you put them in for prayer requests a lot. I do that and finally saw some big changes (after about 2 or 3 years of prayers and continuing letting God work). I was having big fights with people I live with, and now it has really changed around. God seemed to use that time for fervent prayers for those people and me, we must have needed it more than I know.

I also encourage keep in bible readings. I like bible on walkmen tapes myself, and comic book bibles also help. :)

Upvote 0

soldout4christ

Nov 17, 2006
oologah oklahoma
✟15,167.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
hey! i'm proud of you!! and you aren't alone!! I did mine out of anger and guilt for something i did the year before but i had a good friend to tell me that i wasn't alone and that she had thought about it but had never done it. I also think that my mom actually noticing that i did that helped me too. i just felt like i had her attention then. but i'm glad that you have other ways to keep your self from harming your self! congrats and I'm praying for you!

Upvote 0

texannurse

Mar 13, 2006
✟1,183.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
LazeyWinde - I'm so glad you are with us! You are so right. It really helps to have people to "talk" to that understand cutting and all the feelings that go with it. Feel free to PM anytime you need to talk - I've been on this road a long time and starting to see the light at the end - hopefully, I think, can it be true:confused: One day at a time, that's all I can do - all any of us can do.

Praying for you!:hug: :hug: TN

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.