So if first a fish, then a giraffe, then an elephant - my "Evolution" has a greater span?

If I could add to my Evolutionary lineage, I would...

• ...add a giraffe between ape and man

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...add a fish after ape

• ..add an elephant after fish

• ...add a man before a fish

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So I am trying to work out, what the mechanism behind "Evolution" is and from what I am told, what you were to begin with, makes a difference, that is, the succession of development from one creature to the next "culminates" in something. Following this logic, the more steps that you take and the more challenging they are (each step), the greater the final Evolution. So if I am first a fish, then a giraffe, then an elephant, I will be a much greater "Elephant" for the sake of having been a giraffe, after having been a fish... and not just a fish, then Elephant? That makes sense, right? The more steps in between, the more refined the overall result?

I am just sort of curious, why it would matter so much? Like why would you want to be a better Elephant? Because you beat Elephants, that aren't from giraffes? Does that even make sense? It's not possible to be an Elephant and humble, that it wasn't a transition from a giraffe, that made you what you were? And still be effective as an Elephant? The whole point is that there are certain pressures at play, and coping with those pressures hinges on their meaning remain relatively constant, why you become more effective at escaping them, in that constancy - isn't it? Or are we supposed to experiment with the human genome, go back to "ape" and start again, comparing results with other divergences besides the ape to human connection - ape to giraffe to human, ape to hippopotamus to human? It's all a crap shoot, right? Once we get that right, then human to the next phase will be so much easier - is that your logic?

I am not trying to rubbish all of the theory, yes, there will be improvements in predators from generation to generation, which in turn affect what survive among peaceful species and indeed peaceful species may even be wiped out, but we are supposing that selection pressures are the be all and end all of what adapts and what does not, aren't we? I mean if there is another alternative pressure to being human - ape to giraffe to human - why is it necessary to be something else, to learn an equal lesson? Isn't it enough to imagine having been a giraffe and learn from that? Wouldn't that be greater, to imagine it? I am using my imagination now, to see what I can learn from "Evolution" about the necessity of adapting in certain ways, to save the species - anticipating its antecedent selection pressures, before it becomes a choice of being and nothing: the most unfair expectation of any species, that it give up what it is that makes it who it was, when their imagination was so much greater?

I guess to summarize, I really just want that point: if it doesn't matter to you how many steps it took to get you where you are, why aren't you at all interested in other steps you could take before now? Is "ape to elephant to human" really that much a different leap from 'ape to human'? There is a boundary that is being checked, here, right? And you say if the selection pressure was right, "so what?" But who is that that is saying "so what?" someone who has evolved that way, or someone that will, given the chance? I mean it is a serious question to ask, right?

I'm just saying, we want "Evolution" to be as free as possible, maybe we need to start with how we interpret what we've got already - even without the monkey?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi there,

So I am trying to work out, what the mechanism behind "Evolution" is and from what I am told, what you were to begin with, makes a difference, that is, the succession of development from one creature to the next "culminates" in something. Following this logic, the more steps that you take and the more challenging they are (each step), the greater the final Evolution. So if I am first a fish, then a giraffe, then an elephant, I will be a much greater "Elephant" for the sake of having been a giraffe, after having been a fish... and not just a fish, then Elephant? That makes sense, right? The more steps in between, the more refined the overall result?

I am just sort of curious, why it would matter so much? Like why would you want to be a better Elephant? Because you beat Elephants, that aren't from giraffes? Does that even make sense? It's not possible to be an Elephant and humble, that it wasn't a transition from a giraffe, that made you what you were? And still be effective as an Elephant? The whole point is that there are certain pressures at play, and coping with those pressures hinges on their meaning remain relatively constant, why you become more effective at escaping them, in that constancy - isn't it? Or are we supposed to experiment with the human genome, go back to "ape" and start again, comparing results with other divergences besides the ape to human connection - ape to giraffe to human, ape to hippopotamus to human? It's all a crap shoot, right? Once we get that right, then human to the next phase will be so much easier - is that your logic?

I am not trying to rubbish all of the theory, yes, there will be improvements in predators from generation to generation, which in turn affect what survive among peaceful species and indeed peaceful species may even be wiped out, but we are supposing that selection pressures are the be all and end all of what adapts and what does not, aren't we? I mean if there is another alternative pressure to being human - ape to giraffe to human - why is it necessary to be something else, to learn an equal lesson? Isn't it enough to imagine having been a giraffe and learn from that? Wouldn't that be greater, to imagine it? I am using my imagination now, to see what I can learn from "Evolution" about the necessity of adapting in certain ways, to save the species - anticipating its antecedent selection pressures, before it becomes a choice of being and nothing: the most unfair expectation of any species, that it give up what it is that makes it who it was, when their imagination was so much greater?

I guess to summarize, I really just want that point: if it doesn't matter to you how many steps it took to get you where you are, why aren't you at all interested in other steps you could take before now? Is "ape to elephant to human" really that much a different leap from 'ape to human'? There is a boundary that is being checked, here, right? And you say if the selection pressure was right, "so what?" But who is that that is saying "so what?" someone who has evolved that way, or someone that will, given the chance? I mean it is a serious question to ask, right?

I'm just saying, we want "Evolution" to be as free as possible, maybe we need to start with how we interpret what we've got already - even without the monkey?

Evolution is the result we see of God's infinite ability to engineer an outcome.
This is how God works:Knowing God Through Answered Prayer - Steps 1, 2, & 3
It ties in directly.

• Informative
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi there,

If you "add" something to evolution, surely it ceases to be evolution? And if evolution is true, it's found reverse gear and humanity is going backwards.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
If you "add" something to evolution, surely it ceases to be evolution? And if evolution is true, it's found reverse gear and humanity is going backwards.

That really, is what I don't understand: is Evolution supposed to adapt, or do we adapt for Evolution?

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
The chain above is not evolution. It's just nonsense.
Seriously, do you ever wish to actually learn about the theory of evolution, or even basic biological science?

I don't see the difference.

Surely if you push yourself to undergo greater pressure, the end result is more resilience?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,894.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I don't see the difference.

Surely if you push yourself to undergo greater pressure, the end result is more resilience?

Evolution is not something a person can control though, or even really have an actual factor in. Evolution is merely a response to changes and environmental pressures. That's it.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Evolution is not something a person can control though, or even really have an actual factor in. Evolution is merely a response to changes and environmental pressures. That's it.

So its possible, it just hasn't happened yet?

But you would rather not have a choice?

So you tell me, "you don't have a choice" and the chance that you could be wrong, (you assume) becomes irrelevant?

I'm not hurt, I just can't understand how you work out what will work and what will not - I presume you think humanity works because you are human, but why you like monkeys so much, is oblique?

The way I see it, the whole foundation is wrong: we should be waiting on God, to determine what more we can do for our fellow man, through Him - it doesn't stop, with God making us something He puts on the mantel?

Anyway, this is too many questions: I think I'm starting to doubt that selection pressure works the way you say it does - selection pressure that can be communicated, can be objectified, and that fundamentally changes the direction that Evolution takes from there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,826.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Hi there,

This does not make sense and you have misunderstood.

Individuals do not have "an evolution" there is no such thing as a "final evolution".

You can not choose your evolutionary history any more then you can choose who your parents or grand parents are.

Evolution isn't a choice so defining your evolutionary past as challenging or not doesn't make sense and is irrelevant.

Evolutionary pressures are completely irrelevant to meaning or decisions made by individuals.

Since Evolution isn't a decision it isn't possible to experiment with it as an individual.

What you are describing is completely against all logic and I suspect no one believes it.

Species are not sentient and can't anticipate, make plans or decisions. Evolution is a completely unconscious process that happens on a statistical level over entire populations over generations.

There is no logical way to assume apes could become elephants and then humans. There is significant evidence that humans are descended from creatures much more similar to chimps and gorillas... but this was not a decision.

Evolution is simply a physical process, calling it "free" or not doesn't make sense.

Please make an attempt to learn what the theory actually says... it's disrespectful to start conversations then ignore all the responses.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,826.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
How so?

Humans seem to have changed significantly from ancestral populations. More cooperative, better with communication and more technologically capable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,826.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens

No, because of the way evolution operates it is not a decision and can't be.

What you want is irrelevant.

You can want there to have been more rain in 1972... but no matter how much you want it, nothing will change about it.

So you tell me, "you don't have a choice" and the chance that you could be wrong, (you assume) becomes irrelevant?

Given how evolution evidently works, you don't have any choices about it.

I'm not hurt, I just can't understand how you work out what will work and what will not - I presume you think humanity works because you are human, but why you like monkeys so much, is oblique?

The reason people think that we share a common ancestor with monkeys is the evidence, not what you like or not.

The way I see it, the whole foundation is wrong: we should be waiting on God, to determine what more we can do for our fellow man, through Him - it doesn't stop, with God making us something He puts on the mantel piece?

You can wait on God or not, that's a personal decision... and completely separate to and irrelevant to evolution.

Anyway, this is too many questions: I think I'm starting to doubt that selection pressure works the way you say it does - selection pressure that can be communicated, can be objectified, and that fundamentally changes the direction that Evolution takes from there.

You do not appear to have understood how selection pressure or evolution works.

Please make an attempt to learn.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
How so?

Humans seem to have changed significantly from ancestral populations. More cooperative, better with communication and more technologically capable.
Really? Communication? Like how easy it is to present an opinion that the left disagrees with? Like how it is OK for a Democrat presidential candidate to make racist remarks but not for a Republican? It's OK for intellectually clueless entertainers to pontificate on deep social issues while those who really know are shut down? Like a 17 year old know nothing is treated like a modern day oracle?

I grew up in an era when most English speakers could read, write and construct an intelligible sentence. That era is over. Even with spell checker, this forum is awash with red underlines. Don't start me on arithmetic. The reason why companies want people to pay by card is that their staff can't handle cash transactions. I know, I hate using my card. I pay by cash often.

Yes, technologically the world is advanced. That is not helping. Certainly this generation is no more intelligent than any other yet education is far more readily available.

What other generation seriously imagined that you can change gender just because you want to? And then demands to be treated as if it was a genuine transformation? It waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck but it's really an eagle.....? Spare me.

Now emojis are popular. Hey, the ancient Egyptians had the same thing.

I'll be 70 soon. Materially, the world has never been better off. Morally and socially it's as bad as ever and in some ways worse.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,826.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Really? Communication? Like how easy it is to present an opinion that the left disagrees with? Like how it is OK for a Democrat presidential candidate to make racist remarks but not for a Republican? It's OK for intellectually clueless entertainers to pontificate on deep social issues while those who really know are shut down? Like a 17 year old know nothing is treated like a modern day oracle?

I grew up in an era when most English speakers could read, write and construct an intelligible sentence. That era is over. Even with spell checker, this forum is awash with red underlines. Don't start me on arithmetic. The reason why companies want people to pay by card is that their staff can't handle cash transactions. I know, I hate using my card. I pay by cash often.

Yes, technologically the world is advanced. That is not helping. Certainly this generation is no more intelligent than any other yet education is far more readily available.

What other generation seriously imagined that you can change gender just because you want to? And then demands to be treated as if it was a genuine transformation? It waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck but it's really an eagle.....? Spare me.

I'll be 70 soon. Materially, the world has never been better off. Morally and socially it's as bad as ever and in some ways worse.

So nothing at all then? A whole bunch of anecdotes about how things you prioritise are not prioritiesed a single generation later.

Personally I see a world vastly improved in many ways, still full of many issues, but certainly an improvement on the viciousness and barbarism of the past. Less crime, less violence a few steps towards justice and fairness for all.

Nothing to indicate a regeneration of intellect or communication ability of us as a species.

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
This paragraph does not represent ToE.

Just go and read a text book about biology and it will tell you how evolution works.

Please.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So nothing at all then? A whole bunch of anecdotes about how things you prioritise are not prioritiesed a single generation later.

Personally I see a world vastly improved in many ways, still full of many issues, but certainly an improvement on the viciousness and barbarism of the past. Less crime, less violence a few steps towards justice and fairness for all.

Nothing to indicate a regeneration of intellect or communication ability of us as a species.
There never were any "good old days". However, I see nothing to give me any confidence that the world is a better place, except materially. Authoritarianism is on the increase and free speech is being suppressed. Now the Mayor of London, he who believes that terrorism is something to accept like trains running late, wants to rewrite London's history. George Orwell warned exactly that this would happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,894.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

The way I see it, the whole foundation is wrong: we should be waiting on God, to determine what more we can do for our fellow man, through Him - it doesn't stop, with God making us something He puts on the mantel?

You are very deliberately ignoring what I'm writing, there's really no other way to conclude that from what you wrote.

Evolution is simply a biological change in the genetics of a creature in response to pressures from the environment it is in. That's all there is to it. You are trying to overcomplicate what the theory of evolution says.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist

Nothing that happens over a single generation is evolutionary change. That generally takes hundreds of generations or more.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Nothing that happens over a single generation is evolutionary change. That generally takes hundreds of generations or more.
But but but.....

What about Pokemon and the X-Men?

Upvote 0