Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone read Orhan Pamuk's novel Snow? I haven't finished it yet, but the plot revolves around tensions between the secular, non secular moderate and fundamentalist religious groups in Turkish society. From what I've read so far there are parallels with the current political/social divide in the US.

Are there any works of fiction anyone knows of that address the same divisions in US society?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone read Orhan Pamuk's novel Snow? I haven't finished it yet, but the plot revolves around tensions between the secular, non secular moderate and fundamentalist religious groups in Turkish society. From what I've read so far there are parallels with the current political/social divide in the US.

Are there any works of fiction anyone knows of that address the same divisions in US society?

No, But I'll write one:

There were these people who lived in caves.
Some of them stayed in the caves and developed cautious and careful personalities.
The other half ventured out to seek new things and sources of food and developed progressive personalities.

Sometimes the progressive people were all killed by animals or bad weather and starved.
Sometimes the conservative people all died from starvation.

In order for the species to survive both types were needed, the conservatives and the progressives. And they both needed to adapt when the other group was wiped out. The two groups stayed about 50/50.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, But I'll write one:

There were these people who lived in caves.
Some of them stayed in the caves and developed cautious and careful personalities.
The other half ventured out to seek new things and sources of food and developed progressive personalities.

Sometimes the progressive people were all killed by animals or bad weather and starved.
Sometimes the conservative people all died from starvation.

In order for the species to survive both types were needed, the conservatives and the progressives. And they both needed to adapt when the other group was wiped out. The two groups stayed about 50/50.

Is that from Yuval Harari's book? It's an interesting idea. Could be an explanation for different orientations in a general sense.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is that from Yuval Harari's book? It's an interesting idea. Could be an explanation for different orientations in a general sense.
I read about in a research study a decade or so ago. The fish they studied of the same species had different personalities. Some often ventured out, others always hung back. They checked other species and found the same pattern. They concluded that the variety of personalities was the reason the species survived. (They didn't use the term "personalities" though. I forget.)

But to me, it explains why progressives are pigheaded and conservatives are pigheaded. Because they just are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Apart from political speeches you mean?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0