pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
do you like a small church or a large church ?
A small church has opportunities for people to serve more, where a large church has more people to draw from.
In a small church you seem to 'know' too much,
a large church you can get lost in the multitude & not hear about the problems in the church.
So what is the best ? I have been in church leadership for years & years & seen & been affected by issues. You know that saying: don't want to watch what goes in sausage, same as church leadership,,,,

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The "best" is where you feel led by God to go (I'm speaking in terms of size).

I've been a member of a small church, and also a couple of large ones. I have felt comfortable in both, and have had issues with both.

What it boils down to (IMO) is are you being fed? Are you being encouraged? Are you growing? Is it about the pastor/deacons board or Christ?

Until Christ returns, we're never going to get "church" right. Human folly has interjected itself in "church". As a church leader, I'm sure you've seen this. The best we can hope for is the return of the King, and in the meantime, finding a place to fellowship with other believers in a church that doesn't deny the sovereinty, grace, and judgement of God.

Upvote 0

brittany111

Feb 18, 2012
TX
✟7,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I grew up in very small churches (2 of them with less than 10 members). I now go to a large church with over 500 members. I have also visited churches of varying sizes. I did like the community feeling in small churches, but also felt everyone was sometimes a little too involved in others lives. At the same time members of large church can be so seperated from one another that it seems they don't care. Also, if we're not careful large churches are more apt to form clicks with in the church.

What I find, however, is that for me is it is not about the size of the church but the community with in it. (Which I believe is in many ways created by the leadership.) I really feel I would have few positive relationships with in my current church if it weren't for my work in children's ministry. However, I visited my aunt in CO last winter for a period of two months and formed many new friendships with people from her women's group. (Her church is a huge church with over 3,000 members.) The difference for me is that her pastor and other leaders of the church seem (at least to me) more approachable. Both before and after the service they are avaliable for any member or visitor to come to them with qusetions or for prayer.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To me a smaller congregation is preferable, but if it's too tiny you don't have much structure for groups, usually too much pressure is put on some volunteering members, and it can be too gossipy. This is avoidable thankfully through work, Im attending a medium to smaller sized church and love it. It's easier to feel welcome sometimes and more personalized when new, pastor has more chances to become devote to each member of the congregation. With larger churches it can be easier to get lost --- however, with larger there can be more chances for a lot more activities, people involved, social groups, and different directions the church can go.

Upvote 0

pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
usually too much pressure is put on some volunteering members, and it can be too gossipy

That is what I am trying to avoid. We were devistated in our past church, plus my wife can not say 'no' to people who ask her to do something. I call her the church workhorse. I think it is approval addiction

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Medium, not too big, not too small, is ideal.

Too small and you have the problems already mentioned, lacking critical mass for programs, too gossipy, too much stress on the volunteers.

Too big and you have a different set of problems, getting lost in the crowd, having to park a gazillion miles away, nobody knowing your name, etc.

I don't like really small, I don't like mega. Anything medium is good, medium-small to medium-large.

Upvote 0

Common Sense

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,769.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Where ever you feel the most comfortable, there are advantages to both. As for the Politics within the Church, my advice would be to stay as far away as you can, don't get involved if you don't want to get hurt, I can only go by past experience and having served in every position except Pastor. Go as often as you can,worship and fellowship, don't judge others, don't comment on anyone's faults, don't get involved with clicks. Read ,study, grow, be a good witness.If the Pastor, Priest, or whoever is on the other side of the pulpit is feeding you and your toes get stepped on at times, your probably in the right spot. Pray that God help you with your choice.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in a large church (about a thousand members) and now worship in a much smaller church (about 100 members). I much prefer the small church. There are many more opportunities for service and involvement -- really, anyone who wants to become involved in the work of the church can be, just by volunteering. In the larger church of my childhood, it felt to me like most people were just in the audience, and only a few got to participate fully in the ministries of the church.

I also like it that my current pastor not only knows my name, but knows my personality and my history too -- and he knows all of the active members the same way. In the larger churches I've attended, the pastor was much more distant, and the relationship much more anonymous.

A positive side of large churches, though, is that programs can keep going even if a few members are absent; there's likely to be a nursery every Sunday, and regular Sunday School. In my current tiny church, our adult Sunday School class has about five people, and the youth group is similarly small, so if a couple of people are absent, there may not be a class that week.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Have done both. Some mega churches have more than one campus so community and fellowship can be more easily formed in smaller groups with a monthly all campus or all church meeting during the week. That is the situation where we are now. However, I think if it were available in my denomination in this area I would chose a small church community..at least under 500. Not too small though unless you are in on the start of a new one and growth seems likely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Common Sense

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,769.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It seems to obvious to say, but a medium-sized church solves all those problems.

Thats a good solution but how do we decide what a medium size Church is. In my area it would be a attendence of 100 or less. I'm not talking about a membershil because some Curches have hundreds on the rolls but low attendence.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thats a good solution but how do we decide what a medium size Church is. In my area it would be a attendence of 100 or less. I'm not talking about a membershil because some Curches have hundreds on the rolls but low attendence.

That's a fair point. I've heard a church with 150-200 people in attendance on a Sunday morning described as "small." This, however, usually comes from people who don't have a lot of experience with different congregations. I'd say that "medium" would be about what you said--60 to no more than 100 in attendance at a single Sunday service. That is a size that avoids the problems identfied in the OP for both large and small.

Upvote 0

Common Sense

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,769.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's a fair point. I've heard a church with 150-200 people in attendance on a Sunday morning described as "small." This, however, usually comes from people who don't have a lot of experience with different congregations. I'd say that "medium" would be about what you said--60 to no more than 100 in attendance at a single Sunday service. That is a size that avoids the problems identfied in the OP for both large and small.

I agree with you, 60 to 100 in attendence is a medium Church, you may not know everyone but you know about half the people, the Pastor dosen't have time to interact with all but some are in a hurry for lunch and that suits them fine. I believe 30 to 50 is a small Church, you know everyone by sight and most by name. The pastor can shake all hands at the door and visit the sick. The problem here is it takes more to attract the youth, with less income it's hard to keep activities going unless everyone chips in. The young people also have to have responsabilities or they won't feel they are a neeed part of the Church.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the biggest thing to look for is the spirituality of the people within the church...

Humans are flawed. Looking for perfection within people is a shortcut for disappointment. The church is a place for the weak to grow and the strong to guide.

Upvote 0