Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Humans are flawed. Looking for perfection within people is a shortcut for disappointment. The church is a place for the weak to grow and the strong to guide.

And as I'm sure you'll agree--mere "spirituality" doesn't mean a thing if the faith/religion is false.

As a matter of fact, "spirituality" has almost become a code word used by people who are Wiccans, Occultists, Unitarians, and the like who want to convey the idea that having ANY kind of belief in ANY kind of supernatural realm is as valid as any other faith.

Upvote 0

JustAnotherAbdullah

I'm just another servant of God...
Jun 5, 2012
✟7,706.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Humans are flawed. Looking for perfection within people is a shortcut for disappointment. The church is a place for the weak to grow and the strong to guide.

I completely agree.

The problem is that I am among the weak unfortunately and I need the strong to guide me. I've attended places where I was with other people who are weak... and there was no progress in my faith while there.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I completely agree.

The problem is that I am among the weak unfortunately and I need the strong to guide me. I've attended places where I was with other people who are weak... and there was no progress in my faith while there.

Why don't you help us by coming out plainly and telling us what kind of Christian church you are looking for (considering that this is the "looking for a church" forum?

One that has *spirituality of the people* doesn't tell us much, you can appreciate.

Upvote 0

Common Sense

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,769.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Looking for perfection in people is like running toward the end of the rainbow looking for the pot of gold.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
do you like a small church or a large church ?
A small church has opportunities for people to serve more, where a large church has more people to draw from.
In a small church you seem to 'know' too much,
a large church you can get lost in the multitude & not hear about the problems in the church.
So what is the best ? I have been in church leadership for years & years & seen & been affected by issues. You know that saying: don't want to watch what goes in sausage, same as church leadership,,,,

i guess it depends on what your looking for. The larger churches also tend to have more talent in singing and music and more resources for things like children's programs. The smaller churches tend to have less of both.

Upvote 0

SandStones

Jul 9, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am dealing with this question now. I sort of feel that the small church had far less opportunity to serve, but more of a family like environment (way easier to make friends quick because you do not get lost in the crowd).

On the other hand, the bigger churches have more of the financial backing that is required for:

1) Missionary Platforms
2) Evangelism Platforms
3) Other Areas Of Ministry Like Jr. Pastor, etc.

The small church was SO much more friendly, or so it seemed, but yet so weak in terms of ministry (just the typical pastor, jr. pastor, pastor's wife, and the rest volunteers). Right when I went to a bigger church, they had Prison Ministry & Neighborhood Outreach Ministries To Get Involved with right away (volunteer stuff but at least it involved spreading the word).

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Bigger churches do NOT necessarily have "more" financial backing. A small church can be a part of a big denomination which works with churches of all sizes to provide for your #1-3.

It's not about quantity, but quality. Does God care how many programs your church has, so long as you are being active in spreading his Word?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums