secretdawn

Nov 24, 2003
Missouri
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Christian
distancerunner said:
I agree with ummidrinkcherrycoke, I think that is may be an occasion to sin (a situation which frequently leads to sin) which is bad. But I don't think the act itself is a sin.
that is what i think, but you need to decide for yourself whether it is tempting for YOU...if you can sleep with your girlfriend w/out sex, and you know that it is the comfort of her presense you like, then it is ok for you...maybe not for someone else...it would depend on the person

Upvote 0

secretdawn

Nov 24, 2003
Missouri
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Christian
msjones21 said:
No offense, but are you the same guy who told someone to "be a man" and just have sex with his girlfriend on another thread? If so, I'm not exactly sure why you're so concerned if taking a nap together is sinful but either way I'll answer your question.

Does it feel sinful? Does it cause either one of you to have sexual thoughts? Does it sexually arouse either one of you? Does it make either one of you feel guilty afterwards? I don't honestly believe the actual sleeping together part is sinful. I think lying down and being pressed up against one another's bodies is sinful because there's almost no way that wouldn't be somewhat arousing. Also, as Clay wonderfully put, one small thing leads to another. Pretty soon you'll be justifying taking naps with little clothing on. After that becomes less than thrilling it will be napping while undressed. After that...you get the picture. And I'm sorry, nobody "accidentally" spends the night. Sure, you can use that as an excuse but the question remains, why didn't anyone exercise discretion and say "ya know what? It's getting late. I should go home"?

That "feeling" is one of those feelings of "oneness" you should only experience with your spouse. The longer your "no big deal" list is before marriage, the shorter your "very special" list will be after marriage.

Christians, stop justifying your actions! We are not to crave the things of the world. Don't buy into the lies of satan that just because it "feels good" means it's okay! Don't buy into the lie that you two can control yourselves and not go "all the way"! What good is "technical" sexual purity when God asks us to give Him our entire body? Don't buy into the lie that it's acceptable to engage in these acts before marriage. Brothers and sisters in Christ you are being deceived by satan.
you say that there is almost no way you can be that close to someone and not get aroused, but i don't believe that...how many married couples hold each other at night and don't even think about sex...there is nothing wrong w/ it if they aren't thinking sexual...

Upvote 0

msjones21

Nov 26, 2003
Atlanta, GA
✟3,674.00
Faith
Pagan
you say that there is almost no way you can be that close to someone and not get aroused, but i don't believe that...how many married couples hold each other at night and don't even think about sex...there is nothing wrong w/ it if they aren't thinking sexual...
I'm back to my original question. Do you take a nap with your boyfriend or girlfriend just because you are tired? Or is it an excuse to be pressed up against your partner? It's also the mental process behind making the choice to "sleep" with your partner. Also, without trying to get too personal...when I was married, my husband and I couldn't cuddle up against one another without one of us getting aroused. It didn't always lead to sex, but it was always exciting.

Upvote 0

secretdawn

Nov 24, 2003
Missouri
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Christian
one last thing...i would say the bed might be a bad idea, though there could have been extenuating circumstances...but...
just because the rest of the world seems to have a dirty mind, doesn't mean you can't nap with your girl...especially if it was an accident, then you obviously weren't doing anything wrong...i know we aren't supposed to give the illusion of sin either...but there comes a point where you have to just stop caring what they may think, cause honestly, in this day and age, just having a girlfriend causes people to assume you are having sex, and peoples minds are just corrupt, you can't change that, and if you cared how you looked to them, you wouldn't be able to stand with in five feet of any female.

Upvote 0

secretdawn

Nov 24, 2003
Missouri
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Christian
msjones21 said:
I'm back to my original question. Do you take a nap with your boyfriend or girlfriend just because you are tired? Or is it an excuse to be pressed up against your partner? It's also the mental process behind making the choice to "sleep" with your partner. Also, without trying to get too personal...when I was married, my husband and I couldn't cuddle up against one another without one of us getting aroused. It didn't always lead to sex, but it was always exciting.
i don't have a boyfriend, but if i did, it woudn't be because i want to be "pressed up against him" in the context you are implying, it would be because I love him and want to be close to him and it is warm and comforting, not much different then cuddling with my child, just a different type of love...and that is you, that can't keep from being aroused, not everyone else...there is somewhere in the bible that says somethings are sins for some people and not for others...i wish i knew where it was, i know it is in the nt, but i will search for it and post it later.

Upvote 0

msjones21

Nov 26, 2003
Atlanta, GA
✟3,674.00
Faith
Pagan
there is somewhere in the bible that says somethings are sins for some people and not for others...i wish i knew where it was, i know it is in the nt, but i will search for it and post it later.
Yeah, I know the verse you are referring to, but I'm not exactly sure which one it is. And you're right, there may be something that is a sin to one person but not a sin to another person, but we're also to hold one another accountable. The Bible also says that it may not be a sin to you but if it causes your brother to stumble not to do it. Being a Christian isn't about doing whatever you please so long as you don't feel it is sinful. Just because the Bible isn't crystal clear on an issue doesn't give one free reign to engage in those activities. We must not be self-seeking, rather ever mindful of what our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are seeing us do and also the seekers who may be looking to us for a godly example. We may be the only form of God some people see so it's important we don't just indulge in whatever feels right.

Whew, now that I've rambled...I should mention I'm not stating that sleeping together is sinful and that is the end all, be all to the thread. I am only stating my opinion, which the OP asked for. :)

Upvote 0

secretdawn

Nov 24, 2003
Missouri
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Christian
msjones21 said:
Yeah, I know the verse you are referring to, but I'm not exactly sure which one it is. And you're right, there may be something that is a sin to one person but not a sin to another person, but we're also to hold one another accountable. The Bible also says that it may not be a sin to you but if it causes your brother to stumble not to do it. Being a Christian isn't about doing whatever you please so long as you don't feel it is sinful. Just because the Bible isn't crystal clear on an issue doesn't give one free reign to engage in those activities. We must not be self-seeking, rather ever mindful of what our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are seeing us do and also the seekers who may be looking to us for a godly example. We may be the only form of God some people see so it's important we don't just indulge in whatever feels right.

Whew, now that I've rambled...I should mention I'm not stating that sleeping together is sinful and that is the end all, be all to the thread. I am only stating my opinion, which the OP asked for. :)
You are right there, he shouldn't sleep with the girl, if it causes her to think of sin...
here would be an example...i like beer...i don't have to drink beer and get drunk, but i like the taste...(i swear!)
so if i have a couple beers with a christian coworker who drinks like i do, then all is good.
but lets say someone wants to come with us, and everytime the start drinking, the end up plastered...well we should all have soda instead...
would that be accurate?

Upvote 0

msjones21

Nov 26, 2003
Atlanta, GA
✟3,674.00
Faith
Pagan
You are right there, he shouldn't sleep with the girl, if it causes her to think of sin...
here would be an example...i like beer...i don't have to drink beer and get drunk, but i like the taste...(i swear!)
so if i have a couple beers with a christian coworker who drinks like i do, then all is good.
but lets say someone wants to come with us, and everytime the start drinking, the end up plastered...well we should all have soda instead...
would that be accurate?
To an extent that is accurate. As Christians we also have to keep our Christian witness in check. Let's say you and a few other fellow Christians went out to a bar on a Friday night. Let's say you have someone in your group who is still a new Christian and the rest of you are strong in your walk and the rest of you drinking makes that person feel uncomfortable. Or you run into someone you've been witnessing to at the bar and they walk away thinking "Well I thought Sally Sue was a Christian. Boy, sure could have fooled me watching her knock back a couple of beers with her friends".

Upvote 0

ummidrinkcherrycoke

cool like fonzie
Oct 12, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
msjones21 said:
To an extent that is accurate. As Christians we also have to keep our Christian witness in check. Let's say you and a few other fellow Christians went out to a bar on a Friday night. Let's say you have someone in your group who is still a new Christian and the rest of you are strong in your walk and the rest of you drinking makes that person feel uncomfortable. Or you run into someone you've been witnessing to at the bar and they walk away thinking "Well I thought Sally Sue was a Christian. Boy, sure could have fooled me watching her knock back a couple of beers with her friends".
I do some of my best witnessing at bars. I think its a better witness to meet sinners on their turf. But if you cant go into a bar without getting drunk then you shouldnt do it. It's kinda like taking a nap with someone. If you cant do it without getting all hot and bothered you shouldnt do it. But some of us can so we do. What works for me might not work for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ummidrinkcherrycoke

cool like fonzie
Oct 12, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Clay said:
whoa, back to the OP. we can get onto drinking and "witnessing on their turf" kinda subjects in another thread.
you must have only read the first three sentences of my post. Cuzz the last four were on the OP.

Upvote 0

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
two phrases summarize my opinion:

"um, it's growing late. why don't i walk you home"

"um, i guess you're spending the night. you take the bed, and i'll sleep on the couch"

it's not a sin, but if you decide what your level of intimacy will be, and you're staying pure, then you won't put yourself in a situation where you wake up beside your girlfriend the next day. that just has such a strong sexual overtone... even if you feel no sexual pleasure from such close, prolonged contact.

Upvote 0

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
i was thinking about the last sentence, debating the word choice: "feel" vs. "claim" and i was reminded of something i'd read, which i'll apply in this context:

i don't want to not "feel" anything when i'm lying next to the man i love, or even "claim" not to feel anything. i want to feel something. i want to get excited, i want to be curious, i want to enjoy it. since i'm not married, those aren't my feelings to indulge in, so i'll wait until i am and not tolerate compromising situations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

beagleracing

arooo
Nov 6, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Visit site
✟7,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
great posts in this thread. it was mentioned earlier above about abstaining from all forms of evil (or appearance). 1Thess5:22

This is something that my parents hammered to me and my brothers as we grew up and was the most difficult thing to follow. there are so many evils out there to avoid. growing up with friends who drank or smoked. having to leave a girlfriend's apartment or have them leave yours at a certain respectable time (so as to not give the impression that we were living together in sin, or doing other things we shouldn't be doing).

I carried most of these out until the time I got married 1.5 years ago. I failed many times, but i know that I succeeded MANY MANY more times than I failed. it's a tough battle, but it does make you tougher.

the night before our wedding I was staying at a B&B in Colorado. My parents stayed in the same B&B and made sure that my fiance and i stayed in different rooms until after our wedding :) (gotta love my mum)

we, as Christians, have an obligation to shine our light on others. If we are giving the appearance of evil to others, that makes us look like unbelievers in the law, in what God teaches us, in what we share and teach with others. hypocrites.

We are commanded to be like Jesus. What a goal that is! so, as corny as it sounds....there is truth in the answer.

ask yourself. What would Jesus do?

dp

Upvote 0

beagleracing

arooo
Nov 6, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Visit site
✟7,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
secretdawn said:
would that be accurate?
Drinking isn't sinful. Drinking in excess, gluttony, is sinful :)

just be careful not to give the impression that you're possibly drunk. even if you're not, it can be seen as such! (and appearance of evil is another form of evil)

dp

Upvote 0

secretdawn

Nov 24, 2003
Missouri
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Christian
beagleracing said:
Drinking isn't sinful. Drinking in excess, gluttony, is sinful :)

just be careful not to give the impression that you're possibly drunk. even if you're not, it can be seen as such! (and appearance of evil is another form of evil)

dp
with how i am i wouldn't doubt people think i am drunk all the time...i can be pretty silly...lol...i think that is true to a point, appearences of evil are bad, but sometimes you can't bother worrying about it cause there is always someone who will think you are being "evil" or whatever...

Upvote 0

beagleracing

arooo
Nov 6, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Visit site
✟7,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
secretdawn said:
with how i am i wouldn't doubt people think i am drunk all the time...i can be pretty silly...lol...i think that is true to a point, appearences of evil are bad, but sometimes you can't bother worrying about it cause there is always someone who will think you are being "evil" or whatever...
this is true. not all people are the same. regardless of what you do they'll always have an image in their mind. you can only do your part!

dp

Upvote 0