• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

sleep disruptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a 8 year old boy who has both diabetes Type I and ADHD. He never seems to want to go to bed at night and it is always a battle. Then, in the morning, he is hard to wake up and basically sleeps until the car pulls up to the school. His blood sugars are doing okay.
I was wondering if anyone has found a trick to getting their kids in bed and ending this nightly battle. He always wants to sleep in our bed or on the floor near our bed and never in his own room. If I put him in his room, he will toss and turn and come back out of his room numerous times. I work full time and so does my wife and we are both tired and I would like to get to bed at a decent hour also.

Knightlock

Sep 8, 2008
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a 8 year old boy who has both diabetes Type I and ADHD. He never seems to want to go to bed at night and it is always a battle. Then, in the morning, he is hard to wake up and basically sleeps until the car pulls up to the school. His blood sugars are doing okay.
I was wondering if anyone has found a trick to getting their kids in bed and ending this nightly battle. He always wants to sleep in our bed or on the floor near our bed and never in his own room. If I put him in his room, he will toss and turn and come back out of his room numerous times. I work full time and so does my wife and we are both tired and I would like to get to bed at a decent hour also.

First of all I am sorry to hear that your son has diabetes as it must be tough on the little guy. With that there is no advice that I can give.

As for the ADD, since I have it I can tell you from personal experence that it will not be easy. But there might be a treatment.

For years I have had trouble sleeping and most nights I only get about three hours or so. However I discovered a pill called sleep MD which gets me to sleep and I sleep for about eight hours. It is all natural so there are no risks of dependency from what I can tell.

However this is for adults. I would think that the best thing that you can do is get some sort of sleeping aid for children and give it to your son and see how it works.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Kareen

Sep 22, 2008
Perth, Scotland
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to go through the same thing with my 9 year old. It got to be so bad that I was living on 1 hour's sleep a night until my doctor prescribed melatonin for him about a year ago and it has been a lifesaver. He now sleeps most nights and is now normally sleeping by between 9pm and 10pm as opposed to 4am in the morning like he used to be. He takes 2 x 3mg capsules about half an hour before going to bed. I would certainly ask your doctor about this.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.