• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Slavery of US population

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Avid, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Avid

Avid A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...

+659
    Baptist
    Married
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. AirPo

AirPo with a Touch of Grey

+7,099
    Atheist
    Married
    Wrong sub forum, it should go here -->:wave:

3. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+9,665
    Methodist
    Married
    Disturbing ... especially in Lubbock.
    Slaton police arrest woman after request to see warrant | Fox34 Lubbock

The complainant said she was aware police would be coming to apprehend her 11-year-old son based on a criminal complaint, and that she just wanted to see the warrant. As it turns out, that warrant didn't exist. She spent the night in jail while her son was left at home.

4. ChristsSoldier115

ChristsSoldier115 Mabaho na Kuya

+1,563
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    If you're a jerk to the police you're going to have a bad time. I thought we've been over this in those riot threads?

5. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,561
    Agnostic
    Single
    Asking to see a warrant isn't being a jerk.

When she sues them and wins, that might be a bit more of being a jerk.

Apparently they offered to apologize on condition that she promise not to sue.

6. AHH who-stole-my-name

AHH who-stole-my-name in accordance with Christ

+1,626
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    America was set up and her government created to have safeguards to protect it's citizens from being victimized by any overreach by the authorities.

I fail to see the logic of those who say here that they are comfortable with the police doing this when a court a few days ago was supposed to have overreached when it equalized the opportunity for all couples in America to get married.

7. ChristsSoldier115

+1,563
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    Unlike the other questionable cases of police abuse, it looks like this case wasn't one of those split second decisions.

8. NightHawkeye

+9,665
    Methodist
    Married
    Yeah, asking to see a warrant is infuriating ... especially when the police have no warrant.

The officer was clearly in the wrong here and then compounded his mistakes by arresting the mother. Kinda looks to me like the officer needs to be disciplined.

9. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,561
    Agnostic
    Single
    I fail to see the relevance of your point here.

10. ChristsSoldier115

+1,563
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    it is all about tact really. Even if the officer is in the wrong. You can't expect to give a officer a verbal middle finger and expect no consequences. Since I will never know if the cop I am messing with is a power hungry lunatic or just a regular cop. I tend to tread lightly and politely around police officers.

11. ChristsSoldier115

+1,563
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    That is ok, you don't have to.

12. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,561
    Agnostic
    Single
    Well I was supposing that you intended that comment to have anything to do with something I said since you quoted me.

13. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,561
    Agnostic
    Single
    Yeah the "verbal middle finger" as in, asking to see the constitutionally required document that allows them to search your home.

The Constitution was meant to be a middle finger to people like you I suppose so you're not out of line.

14. NightHawkeye

+9,665
    Methodist
    Married
    As do I.

In a clear adversarial position, however, which this woman was in, then one should be able to challenge the requests being made. Otherwise, one truly lives in a police state.

This woman indicated she was ready to turn over her son to authorities as soon as they provided the warrant for his arrest. This is fundamental criminal justice. Even on TV shows the cops go to the trouble of getting the warrant. If they can't find a judge to issue the warrant then they either drop the matter or wait until further evidence turns up.

15. Avid

Avid A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...

+659
    Baptist
    Married
    Was the officer wrong, or operating under a bad mandate?

16. ChristsSoldier115

+1,563
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    I didn't say the officer was in the right. I agree he was in the wrong. I am saying she suffered the consequences of not complying with his unlawful request. I'm not on the cops side. I am stating it as a fact, don't comply with the cop, you're going to get trouble, whether they are good cops or bad cops. I find it heartbreaking that I feel like I have to walk on eggshells around cops because I never know who I am dealing with.

17. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,561
    Agnostic
    Single
    My apologies then.

The consequences of standing up for your rights is that you are going to get harassed by people who don't respect them.

In the end though, you are only going to have the rights you are willing to stand up for.

You shouldn't have to feel that way, which is the point.

They are there to serve us, and it is appropriate that people adopt the attitude that they don't get to act like bullies and thugs.

18. NightHawkeye

+9,665
    Methodist
    Married
    What I read was not clear ... except to indicate that the officer's knee-jerk first response was apparently to arrest the mother when she dared challenge his authority.

My guess is that the police department might have a problem ... but that's just my suspicion. My opinion is formed entirely from the skimpy information provided in the local press, which press did not seem to side with the officer's actions.

19. whatbogsends

whatbogsends Senior Veteran

+7,854
    Atheist
    This is, in of itself, a big problem. Police don't get to make up law as they see fit, but the system we have in America allows those officers which do exemption from any consequences of their illegal activity.

If an officer is performing an unlawful act (arresting a woman who demands to see the non-existing warrant for their son when the police arrive to serve the non-warrant), then the tone shouldn't matter.

The police should be held criminally liable in this case. They attempted to serve an non-existing warrant, and then unlawfully detained the child's mother when she asked them (rightfully so) for the warrant itself. Both she and her sons rights were trampled on, and there should be consequences (but there won't) for the police who trampled them.