USA
✟27,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In the independent Baptist Church of my youth, women/girls were not to wear pants of any type at any time. Skirts,dresses and coulottes we're typical.
Men/boys had to have haircuts not allowing hair to touch the collar or ear.
Dancing was prohibited. One summer camp actually had the questions: do you dance? Have you ever danced? On the registration. An affirmative answer to either and you weren't allowed to attend.
I have heard this about independent Baptists... I have a friend who grew up in an independent church in Kansas and she said the same thing

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is called legalism, petty picking of unimportant things that supposedly please God. They really don't please God, Jesus told us not to worry about what to wear. I was raised southern baptist, I went to a horrible private fundamentalist protestant Christian school when I was little, they had a strict dress code. No uniform, but the girls always had to wear a dress or skirt. My mom said one time it was cold and she dressed my sister with jeans under her dress and they sent her home. This is in Florida my Mom is very sensitive to cold, she thought it was cold, my sister being a very young child was dressed by our mom, I don't know any of this except what my Mom told me, I was a toddler or baby, my sister is older than me.

So it does exist.
Even though some people deny the existence of those rules.
That is like saying that Iceland does not exist, because one has never heard of Iceland and has not been there.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So these kinds of Baptists do exist. :)

I think they may be anabaptists.
Anabaptists women wear head coverings and a skirt or dress, and all the men wear long trousers.

Just because a church has the term 'baptist' in the title does not make them all the same denomination.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Baptists often also have that code dress.

But it would depend on the type of baptist.
Just looking up type of Baptists in the US I find:

• Alliance of Baptists.
  • American Baptist Association.
  • American Baptist Churches USA.
  • Baptist General Convention of Texas.
  • Conservative Baptist Association.
  • Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches.
  • Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.
  • General Association of Regular Baptist Churches (GARBC)
I have also heard of Southern baptist, Mainline Baptist, Evangelic Baptist, Independent Baptists and when I attend the Baptists church here well I'm Australian so this is the regular Baptist church here in Australia and I can tell you there is no dress only dress code there or at any other regular Baptist church I have attended here. I'm female and mostly wear pants too.
Baptists around the world
List of Baptist denominations - Wikipedia
There are more Baptist denominations it seems than hot dinners so you can't simply say 'Baptist' and have that mean something specific to all Baptists. It's more a case of which Baptist in which country?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Learning & Growing

Jan 13, 2022
USA
✟27,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But Baptists often also have that code dress.
In the United States most Baptists are from the "Southern Baptist" tradition, and so we are less dress-code dependent than other minor Baptist traditions, like Independents and Conservative Baptists. At least that's what my pastor told me when I just asked him about it. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do they wear then?
A few people wear nicer clothes, but most people just wear jeans and a t-shirt to church. In my family, the girls wear dresses or nicer shirts and pants to church and we’re usually some of the better dressed people there.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
At my church, most girls and women don’t even wear skirts or dresses at church. I guess it depends on the church.
Well, petticoats and slips, at least, I hope? Don't want Christians running around in naught but their underwear! People might talk!

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
In the Southern Baptist church I went to growing up women wore dresses and skirts on Sunday morning but on Sunday evening and Wednesday, and any other time they gathered, they would be in pants. It was just seen as dressing in your Sunday best and not a modesty thing.

However my cousins who went to a different Baptist church were required to have on a dress Everytime they set foot inside the church, even if they were there just to clean it. Some women in their church wore skirt or dresses all the time. Some only did when entering the church.

My ex husbands family was all Baptist and all the women wore skirts and dresses all the time, but they weren't all long. A lot of them were knee length.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The irony that she was a worship leader calling out another woman for wearing pants is pretty intense.

Thats awesome.
Hard core Pennacostals are just as legal as some Baptist as well.
The men can dress like Peacocks, but the Women have to put their hair in a beehive, and cover the knees and shoulders too.
Some even say no make up or jewelry either.
All I heard in the Independents was that Jeans can cause you to look at the blotches in the wrong places.
I say quit looking for something that you have to look that hard to find.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The no Shorts anywhere doctrine, is a misinterpretation, of what God told the Levite Priest.
The King James uses the term Britches instead of underware.
God commanded them to put a garment under their Robes from the thigh to the loin.
this was so they would not be exposed while walking down the temple stairs.
It has nothing to do with shorts.
unless they are short mens shorts from the 1970s that was just wrong.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thats awesome.
Hard core Pennacostals are just as legal as some Baptist as well.
The men can dress like Peacocks, but the Women have to put their hair in a beehive, and cover the knees and shoulders too.
Some even say no make up or jewelry either.
All I heard in the Independents was that Jeans can cause you to look at the blotches in the wrong places.
I say quit looking for something that you have to look that hard to find.

When I was first saved many years ago my wife and I attended a Pentecostal church. One night, after farm chores, we rushed to the Wednesday night Bible study, my wife still wearing jeans. The pastor took me aside and told me (and showed me the KJV verse) that women who wear men's clothing are an abomination to God. My wonderful wife! An abomination to God!

Deuteronomy 22:5, KJV: "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."

We left that church permanently shortly thereafter. It taught me a lesson in "righteous" legalism that has never left me.

Upvote 0