✟95,333.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What about this, then?

The Duggars may have originally made a name for themselves for simply being a family with a lot of children, but over the years, other aspects of their unconventional life have interested viewers. For one, Duggar matriarch Michelle has homeschooled all 19 of her children, and they've generally shunned "secular life," not even owning a TV even though they literally had their own TV show. Their strict rules around dating became pretty intriguing as some of the eldest kids reached young adulthood (no hugs or unsupervised phone calls!), as did the family's similarly strict rules about modest dressing. Wondering why the Duggars don't wear pants? It might seem like a strange expectation in this day and age that girls and women should only ever wear skirts and dresses, but for the Duggars, it's definitely a big deal. And it all comes down to their super devout religious beliefs.

Here's Why The Duggar Women Don't Wear Pants

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is it true that Baptist women are not allowed to wear jeans - only skirts?
No.
"Baptist" is a big tent. Lots of different kinds of Baptists out there, with varying levels of strictness on many things.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not universal. Most Baptist women seem to wear skirts to church, but wear pants in other contexts.

Some smaller groups of Baptists, though, do seem to have a 24/7 skirt requirement for women. It just depends on who you ask and where you go, but it’s definitely developed into a kind of a joke / stereotype.

Baptist Children's Bible Depicts Eve Wearing Floor-Length Denim Skirt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,333.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No.
"Baptist" is a big tent. Lots of different kinds of Baptists out there, with varying levels of strictness on many things.

OK - then I re-phrase my question:

Is it true that some Baptist women are not allowed to wear jeans - only skirts?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I was a Southern Baptist growing up and was forced into skirts by my mom only for church, but wore whatever I wanted anywhere else. However, I went to Girl Scout Camp in the summers for a while and there was a girl there who was Baptist who had to wear skirts at all times, and "culottes" (however it's spelled) when swimming. Just depends on the type of Baptist. Many Baptist churches are independent because they believe in local church autonomy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s not universal. Most Baptist women seem to wear skirts to church, but wear pants in other contexts.

Some smaller groups of Baptists, though, do seem to have a 24/7 skirt requirement for women. It just depends on who you ask and where you go, but it’s definitely developed into a kind of a joke / stereotype.

Baptist Children's Bible Depicts Eve Wearing Floor-Length Denim Skirt
Babylon Bee. Lol! :D Do they have one where the higher the hair the closer to God??

• Haha
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi RG,

I believe that you may find among some of the Independent Baptist fellowships practice an 'understanding' that women are supposed to wear dresses in church. Of course, they also 'understand' that men are supposed to wear suit and tie.

Most fellowships today don't put much stock in any kind of dress code so long as it is not 'indecent'. Certainly mini-skirts and revealing clothing is frowned upon by a lot of fellowships for their worship services. You will also find that shorts, for men, are generally not acceptable for worship among many of the independent baptist fellowships.

They may not throw you out the door on your ear, but they won't be impressed and you'll likely be the talk of the congregation for a week or two. I used to be a Gideon and, of course, if you're familiar with the Gideon business model, we would hold presentations in the local fellowships of mostly baptist denominations and I was often warned, because I carried around an NIV translation of the Scriptures, that I'd be best off to take a KJV translation to many of the fellowships if I wanted to be well received.

It was one of the reasons that I quit the Gideons. Their efforts to stand around pushing pocket sized copies of the KJV translation to college students seemed rather counter intuitive. I mean, here you are approaching college students who are generally being taught to modernize and critically think with an 'Ye Olde Englishe' translation of the Scriptures. You could order NKJV, but my local group wouldn't do it. I then found that a surprising number of these die hard KJV believers didn't believe the opening words of God's word.

I was sharing with one, after being at a 'Scripture hand out' how I was convicted that the earth was about 6,000 years old and he pretty much told me that he didn't believe a word of that. So, I was rather awed at the irony that here was a group of men who were so strict on what 'version' of the Scriptures one should read, but not necessarily strict on 'believing' what that version said. Now, I'm accustomed to being mocked by a lot of 'church' people concerning my faith in the truth of God's word, but I sure didn't expect it from the Gideon organization.

However, I digress. I think you will still find some small fellowships who, while maybe not proclaiming it, have an 'understanding' that there is a dress code for women to wear dresses at least knee length and that men wear suit and tie.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I first became a Christian my wife and I attended a Wednesday night Bible study at a Pentecostal church. My wife wore jeans -- we were farmers. The Pentecostal (female) leader cited the verse that says "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God." Deuteronomy 22:5

As a new Christian I was very upset that she used the Old Testament law to claim that my wife was an "abomination unto the Lord". We left that church shortly afterwards, never to return.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I first became a Christian my wife and I attended a Wednesday night Bible study at a Pentecostal church. My wife wore jeans -- we were farmers. The Pentecostal (female) leader cited the verse that says "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God." Deuteronomy 22:5

As a new Christian I was very upset that she used the Old Testament law to claim that my wife was an "abomination unto the Lord". We left that church shortly afterwards, never to return.
The irony that she was a worship leader calling out another woman for wearing pants is pretty intense.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The irony that she was a worship leader calling out another woman for wearing pants is pretty intense.

So intense, in fact, that it's still fresh in my memory after many years. If there is a bright side, it led me into a decades-long (ongoing) study of Scripture: what it actually says a) in context and b) how it agrees with the rest of Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Depends on which Baptist you are referring to, there are many Baptist Denominations, and independent Baptist churches as well.

I think the concept of dress codes for Sunday services are on there way out...sadly.

The church(s) in question may desire that, but most people I know would just change churches if that were to be demanded.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have a very decent female friend who was raised Baptist, was on the worship team for years dressing as they chose as long as it was neat and presentable. Her mom was the worship leader and I've heard some of their recordings, amazingly good. She tells the story of a change of pastors coming to the church, right away it was women wear skirts or dresses and all worship was to become old hymnals. The church diminished, the worship team of several members became my friend, her mom and two sisters. And then they left in due time. I guess it's changed hands now cause she went there a while back here to sing a couple solos there. She wore a skirt but by her own choice. I had her sing for my wifes celebration of life service we had here back in May and I didn't exactly pick an easy song for her, she did great. She and my wife were both friends and x coworkers.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In the independent Baptist Church of my youth, women/girls were not to wear pants of any type at any time. Skirts,dresses and coulottes we're typical.
Men/boys had to have haircuts not allowing hair to touch the collar or ear.
Dancing was prohibited. One summer camp actually had the questions: do you dance? Have you ever danced? On the registration. An affirmative answer to either and you weren't allowed to attend.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In the independent Baptist Church of my youth, women/girls were not to wear pants of any type at any time. Skirts,dresses and coulottes we're typical.
Men/boys had to have haircuts not allowing hair to touch the collar or ear.
Dancing was prohibited. One summer camp actually had the questions: do you dance? Have you ever danced? On the registration. An affirmative answer to either and you weren't allowed to attend.

Foot loose?

Upvote 0