Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Foot loose?
Sorta..
I left that congregation in 1981.. three years before the movie..
Btw, I wasn't allowed to go to movies either. It was, still is, kjv only..

When I left, I went to a "liberal ( by comparison)" SBC.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sorta..
I left that congregation in 1981.. three years before the movie..
Btw, I wasn't allowed to go to movies either. It was, still is, kjv only..

When I left, I went to a "liberal ( by comparison)" SBC.

My best friend goes to a KJV only Baptist Church, last year he asked me what translation I used, I told him the ESV. I thought he was going to break, but he's still using the KJV. I have heard of people being shunned for a while, and then being publicly humiliated in efforts to coerce them to use the KJV only.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My best friend goes to a KJV only Baptist Church, last year he asked me what translation I used, I told him the ESV. I thought he was going to break, but he's still using the KJV. I have heard of people being shunned for a while, and then being publicly humiliated in efforts to coerce them to use the KJV only.
That’s actually pretty sad. There are good, literal, reverent translations that are readable and helpful. I like the KJV but it’s not the end-all.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Is it true that Baptist women are not allowed to wear jeans - only skirts?

It wouldn't be the case for many, but there are lots of baptist women who either choose not to or are not allowed to wear trousers. This is similar to prohibitions in various Anabaptist conferences.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That’s actually pretty sad. There are good, literal, reverent translations that are readable and helpful. I like the KJV but it’s not the end-all.
I have no idea why there are some that think God either speaks the king’s english or somehow makes it a better interpretation to Scripture’s most authentic message. :scratch:

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea why there are some that think God either speaks the king’s english or somehow makes it a better interpretation to Scripture’s most authentic message. :scratch:
There’s an extent to which I sort of get it… they’re trying to protect the meaning of Scripture from an undeniable liberalism which creeps into a *lot* of modern translations eventually. But they’ve turned the text into a virtual deity, and it gets to be too much.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I first became a Christian my wife and I attended a Wednesday night Bible study at a Pentecostal church. My wife wore jeans -- we were farmers. The Pentecostal (female) leader cited the verse that says "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God." Deuteronomy 22:5

As a new Christian I was very upset that she used the Old Testament law to claim that my wife was an "abomination unto the Lord". We left that church shortly afterwards, never to return.

She should have looked her in the eye and said "Yes, imagine a man wearing women's pants. Just as well they make them for men too"

The verse isn't even about pants/trousers since they had not even been invented. Should have told that biddy that both men and women wore an open tunic called a chiton, the main difference was the male garment came to the knees, whereas the females fell to the ankle. So it was only male or female depending on the cut - Just the same as pants nowadays, it depends on the cut.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't think it's that, I think they believe it's a better English translation because only those translators took the care necessary. Of course a few may believe the Bible was actually written in the old English not realizing it was written in Hebrew and Greek.

Reactions: Silverback
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it true that Baptist women are not allowed to wear jeans - only skirts?

OP I sometime attend a Baptist church here, but I am not sure if Baptist churches in Australia are the same as the US, somehow I don't think so. I'm from a farming community, pants are common place.
Now the Brethren church here in town encourages skirts and dresses, are you sure you are not mixing them up?

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is similar to prohibitions in various Anabaptist conferences.
How do they defend prohibition - when Jesus himself enjoyed wine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was there a time when this was true?
Or where does this rumour come from then?

"There was a time" this was true of every Christian denomination. I knew a Catholic family that wouldn't allow their daughters to wear pants, even to school, because they saw it as a matter of their faith.

Baptists may have held on longer to a dress code for women, that I'm not sure of, but if so that would be all there is to it.

When I was first visiting churches to determine which church I might like to attend after I was saved, I attended many churches and more than one denomination and I ran into one church where all the women were wearing near identical potato sacks (shapeless, formless dresses), so similar it seemed quite uniform-like, but they weren't Baptist, it was some independent church of some kind.

In my area there aren't even independent Baptist churches where I would feel uncomfortable wearing pants. The Primitive Baptist women all largely wear dresses to church but not like a uniform or something, and not even they would look at me funny if I wore slacks nor make me feel uncomfortable or out of place.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GreekOrthodox
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it's that, I think they believe it's a better English translation because only those translators took the care necessary. Of course a few may believe the Bible was actually written in the old English not realizing it was written in Hebrew and Greek.

The KJV we read today is not the same as the 1611 edition.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"There was a time" this was true of every Christian denomination. I knew a Catholic family that wouldn't allow their daughters to wear pants, even to school, because they saw it as a matter of their faith.

What year was that, I wonder?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What year was that, I wonder?

It was in the late 70's early 80's for the Catholic family I knew.

Women as a whole didn't stop wearing dresses until the mid 20th century and there was a lot of carryover in the church even after pants largely became popular for women to wear..

Upvote 0

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟293,105.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
It's like we're talking about a different church. The baptist church I go to prefers the NIV, there'd be comments if you wore anything even a little bit dressed-up, and the praise band women wear jeans sometimes. I guess things do vary from congregation to congregation.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

KJV is the language of angels passed down from God to Moses at Sinai and KJV bibles of both old and new testament fell from the sky along with the mana and quail in the wilderness. I thought everyone knew that.

:D

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
KJV is the language of angels passed down from God to Moses at Sinai and KJV bibles of both old and new testament fell from the sky along with the mana and quail in the wilderness. I thought everyone knew that.

:D
Lol! :D

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Baptists may have held on longer to a dress code for women, that I'm not sure of, but if so that would be all there is to it.

When I was first visiting churches to determine which church I might like to attend after I was saved, I attended many churches and more than one denomination and I ran into one church where all the women were wearing near identical potato sacks (shapeless, formless dresses), so similar it seemed quite uniform-like, but they weren't Baptist, it was some independent church of some kind.

In my area there aren't even independent Baptist churches where I would feel uncomfortable wearing pants. The Primitive Baptist women all largely wear dresses to church but not like a uniform or something, and not even they would look at me funny if I wore slacks nor make me feel uncomfortable or out of place.
Yeah, it took a while for pants on women to become normative / not shocking.

Women in India and Pakistan still wear pants traditionally; they wear a knee-length, embroidered tunic over loose-fitting trousers, and it’s called salwar kameez, and it looks pretty nice.

embroidered-work-punjabi-salwar-kameez-52335-800x1100.jpg

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually love studying folk clothing from around the world… it’s pretty cool. Looks like a pretty common theme across continents is a long tunic over trousers, or a very long tunic (to the ankles).

Tibetan lady ;

92b6355abf86cbb78169ab1ebe2e52f9.jpg

Native American lady;

4cm353.jpg

Palestinian lady;

99faee1e064754478038408fa325260c.jpg

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0