Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes. It seems only yesterday that Jesus was baptized by John. Time flies when your havin' good old fashioned Christian fun.

With reference to MamaZ she was speaking about the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" which, I guess, justifies the sinner. That, of course, is what I was referring to (which I'm guessing everyone knew). Seems as though folks are rather brushing aside the comment on "baptism." Likewise, Christ's baptism in the Jordan is not only proof of water baptism but it is also the first place in Scripture where the Holy Trinity is made explicitly manifest. Folks can go on "belevin' in baptism in Jesus' name" for all I care...I'll only note that it is wholly unscriptural.

Haven't heard of the waterless baptism yet, unless you mean the one by fire:
Matt 3:11 - I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Your comment makes no sense as the passage is dealing with the righteous and unrighteous and the Forerunner is using the language of "fire" specifically in the context of judgment of sinners.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With reference to MamaZ she was speaking about the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" which, I guess, justifies the sinner. That, of course, is what I was referring to (which I'm guessing everyone knew). Seems as though folks are rather brushing aside the comment on "baptism." Likewise, Christ's baptism in the Jordan is not only proof of water baptism but it is also the first place in Scripture where the Holy Trinity is made explicitly manifest. Folks can go on "belevin' in baptism in Jesus' name" for all I care...I'll only note that it is wholly unscriptural.

Your comment makes no sense as the passage is dealing with the righteous and unrighteous and the Forerunner is using the language of "fire" specifically in the context of judgment of sinners.
I don't hinge salvation on it either.

Upvote 0

onwingsaseagles

Jan 31, 2008
✟2,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the "Sinners Prayer" scriptural for salvation? There are no examples of anyone saying it in the Bible.I know we are to repent and confess, but do you have to say the "prayer" to be saved or can you confess another way?

For those who do not know it:

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”
Can you confess and repent another way? Of course. Is the sinners prayer an effective way of confessing and repenting? Once again of course.

Upvote 0

onwingsaseagles

Jan 31, 2008
✟2,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

onwingsaseagles

Jan 31, 2008
✟2,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

john 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
So Peter recently said for us to repent and be baptized? I was sure that was in the very first days of the Church.

This is specifically related to the "sinners prayer" and its merits, of lack thereof, in the economy of salvation. If you're looking for a grand discussion of baptism start another thread.

Or have you forgotten what this thread is about?

Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Ormly,

You said:
"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."
Luke 6:45 (KJV)

. . . . . . . And the Word becomes flesh.

Has it?
I'm sorry, I'm not quite following you... :confused: :o

Kind regards,
A38.

The Word is to be from you just as it was from Jesus per John 17, that is if He indeed indwells you. In that regard you become the Word in flesh with your mouth speaking your heart. CF Gal. 2.20 {KJV)

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is the "Sinners Prayer" scriptural for salvation? There are no examples of anyone saying it in the Bible.I know we are to repent and confess, but do you have to say the "prayer" to be saved or can you confess another way?

For those who do not know it:

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

I've never heard of this prayer.

Why does it start with Father (alone) and end with Jesus (alone)? Seems strange to me.

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

The sinners prayer is not just words to be spoken. The sinners prayer is when a person falls on his face before God realizing that he is nothing but a sinner. :) Knowing that Christ alone can save you and asking Christ to come in and be all to you.. It is a marriage covenant sort of between you and God. Baptism of water is the sign of the committment before everyone that you now are His and He is yours.. :) For it is Christ in us and the Holy Spirit that seals us until the day of redemption.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Yes. It seems only yesterday that Jesus was baptized by John. Time flies when your havin' good old fashioned Christian fun.

Matt 3:11 - I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Baptism today involves both water and the Holy Spirit.

Baptism during the time of John the Baptist only involved water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

So Peter recently said for us to repent and be baptized? I was sure that was in the very first days of the Church.

what part of the word 'and' do you not understand?

You seem to be confusing "repent and be baptized" with "repent and you will be baptized".

People love to have fun with scripture to support all kinds of modern theologies.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The sinners prayer is not just words to be spoken. The sinners prayer is when a person falls on his face before God realizing that he is nothing but a sinner. :) Knowing that Christ alone can save you and asking Christ to come in and be all to you.. It is a marriage covenant sort of between you and God. Baptism of water is the sign of the committment before everyone that you now are His and He is yours.. :) For it is Christ in us and the Holy Spirit that seals us until the day of redemption.
True enough.
I think the problem is in the fact that often enough the set & setting for it become programmed to manipulate a behavioral result and the follow-up is pretty much ignored. The result is a lot of altar calls with shallow, temporary effects.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

What about Acts 2:38 when it says, "Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Isn't baptism a part of salvation? Don't you have to be baptized to be saved?

Yes, baptism is part of salvation.

However, modern times have led to strange theological theories about grace.

The fact is... people are so scared of God that they need something to assure that they are 'saved'. So perverse doctrines have been formulated that rely on things like the sinners prayer that assure salvation.

Upvote 0

namericanboy

Apr 9, 2005
✟2,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OTOH we have churches that have programs\ceremonies at different ages that have people just repeating words without real repentance and being told they are now a christian and a member of their church..I been around many like this who do their sunday thing and live like you know what the rest of the week..So it is all over....His bride is among the tares in all the churches that a called christian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

namericanboy

Apr 9, 2005
✟2,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
SpiritualAntiseptic The fact is... people are so scared of God that they need something to assure that they are 'saved'. So perverse doctrines have been formulated that rely on things like the sinners prayer that assure salvation.[/quote said:
Personally I like verses like this from 1 John..

13 These things I have written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

OTOH we have churches that have programs\ceremonies at different ages that have people just repeating words without real repentance and being told they are now a christian and a member of their church..I been around many like this who do their sunday thing and live like you know what the rest of the week..So it is all over....His bride is among the tares in all the churches that a called christian
I have seen this also.. :)

Upvote 0

onwingsaseagles

Jan 31, 2008
✟2,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

what part of the word 'and' do you not understand?

You seem to be confusing "repent and be baptized" with "repent and you will be baptized".

People love to have fun with scripture to support all kinds of modern theologies.
What in the statement I made above would cause you or anyone to think that I believe repentance is baptism or vice versa?

Upvote 0

onwingsaseagles

Jan 31, 2008
✟2,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, baptism is part of salvation.

However, modern times have led to strange theological theories about grace.

The fact is... people are so scared of God that they need something to assure that they are 'saved'. So perverse doctrines have been formulated that rely on things like the sinners prayer that assure salvation.

Yes.. IT is more than that.. IT is a giving of our whole life to Christ and Him alone.. NOt just some words uttered but a giving of our life over to him..
I agree MamaZ, words mean nothing it is the heart of the one that says the words and then it is the giving of your entire self to God that keeps you on the path of salvation.

Upvote 0

onwingsaseagles

Jan 31, 2008
✟2,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A recent invention in the history of Christianity.

Confessional-style "baptism" certain is - particularly as it is missing the H2O which your passage aptly indicates. In that respect she is off by about, oh, 1500 years. It probably would have made more sense if I'd said the "Give Jesus a try" style of Christianity.

So my directly responding to previous post including your own means I am changing the subject of the thread? I don't think so. I believe it is me and not my response that you have a problem with.

By the way, Thew Apostles baptized in Jesus name, where they baptizing people incorrectly? And is the book of Acts itself unscriptural?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.