Here
✟15,566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is the "Sinners Prayer" scriptural for salvation? There are no examples of anyone saying it in the Bible.I know we are to repent and confess, but do you have to say the "prayer" to be saved or can you confess another way?

For those who do not know it:

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

A

Awakening 38

Hi darkshadow, :wave:

Firstly, I guess it is important to note that it isn't simple reciting the prayer that saves us, it is believing and accepting by faith what we say and proclaiming that faith. If you pray that prayer and you believe what you prayed in your heart, then I believe that you (and me for that matter, cause that's what I did) will be saved. I guess what I mean is that we must believe and accept by faith what we say in prayer for it to have any virtue and meaning. You don't have to recite that specific prayer to be saved in my humble opinion, but I believe that you do need to confess the main points found in the prayer you quoted in order to "accept" Christ's free-gift. Other's may have different views to my own though.

Paul in Romans 10:8-10 clarifies it for us when he wrote:
Salvation that comes from trusting Christ - which is the message we preach - is already within easy reach. In fact, the Scriptures say, "The message is close at hand; it is on your lips and in your heart" [a reference to Deuteronomy 30:12-14].

For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.
By the way, the above passage is quoted from the New Living Translation. I guess it's also worthy of noting that the word "believe" also means to trust in, have faith in and adhere to in the original Greek. I find it interesting that Paul added "and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved" - whether this is supposed to be taken literally as it appears or whether he is just expounding on the verse in Deuteronomy that he was quoting is something I'm not sure on. I'm inclined to be believe the former though...

If you believe something in your heart then your mouth will reflect it. James, in his letter, tells us that "you do not have because you do not ask God" (James 4:2b) and perhaps an argument could be made with our salvation as well. If we don't confess and ask God for forgiveness then why should He? I think that's an important part of confession - humbling ourselves and crying out for His mercy. I believe that just as true faith is always accompanied by actions (see James 2:17), so too should our faith be expressed through our words and confessions.

I guess, in summary, I think that it is consistent with Scripture, though not explicity mentioned.

That's my two cents anyway... :)

Kind regards,
A38.

Upvote 0

darkshadow

Aug 20, 2008
Here
✟15,566.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about Acts 2:38 when it says, "Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Isn't baptism a part of salvation? Don't you have to be baptized to be saved?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Darkshadow
Is the "Sinners Prayer" scriptural for salvation? There are no examples of anyone saying it in the Bible.I know we are to repent and confess, but do you have to say the "prayer" to be saved or can you confess another way?
I would say the Biblical way would be Baptism, but that is a very nice prayer, and should be said whenever we confess our sins, I might start to use it in my privet prayers.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Darkshadow
Isn't baptism a part of salvation? Don't you have to be baptized to be saved?
I would describe baptism as the "normal" way people are saved, for example the Good Thief on the cross next to the Cross the held our Lord. The Good Thief was not baptised but he excepted our Lord and was saved. That being said, there is no excuse not to be baptised unless you just found faith in the Lord right before you die or something like that.

Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian

For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."
Luke 6:45 (KJV)

. . . . . . . And the Word becomes flesh.

Has it?

Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
Darkshadow

I would describe baptism as the "normal" way people are saved, for example the Good Thief on the cross next to the Cross the held our Lord. The Good Thief was not baptised but he excepted our Lord and was saved. That being said, there is no excuse not to be baptised unless you just found faith in the Lord right before you die or something like that.

Acts 2 is NOT the baptism of salvation. Why not, once and for all, get that established in our thinking so that proper distinctions and good understanding can be made/had elseware in the scriptures?

Upvote 0

namericanboy

Apr 9, 2005
✟2,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Acts 2 is NOT the baptism of salvation. Why not, once and for all, get that established in our thinking so that proper distinctions and good understanding can be made/had elseware in the scriptures?

Dude you could have commented on baptism without rebuking/putting down the the person that wrote about it..

As for the OP " somehow contact is needed to repent of your ways and tell your Creator you acknowledge Him and desire His help..All who call on the Lord will be saved..As for baptism, just baptizing people just makes them wet sinners.Some conversion/repentance contact has to be made with the Lord. Acknowledgment, contact, repentance etc would come through prayer, which could be verbal or in the quietness of your heart...

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
Dude you could have commented on baptism without rebuking/putting down the the person that wrote about it..

As for the OP " somehow contact is needed to repent of your ways and tell your Creator you acknowledge Him and desire His help..All who call on the Lord will be saved..As for baptism, just baptizing people just makes them wet sinners.Some conversion/repentance contact has to be made with the Lord. Acknowledgment, contact, repentance etc would come through prayer, which could be verbal or in the quietness of your heart...

Well Dude, you leave me with a question as to what you are referring to concerning me rebuking or putting down anyone..

What do you mean "my ways" and I need to repent? . . of what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Awakening 38

Hi Ormly,

You said:
"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."
Luke 6:45 (KJV)

. . . . . . . And the Word becomes flesh.

Has it?
I'm sorry, I'm not quite following you... :confused: :o

Kind regards,
A38.

Upvote 0
A

Awakening 38

Hi darkshadow,

You said:
What about Acts 2:38 when it says, "Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Isn't baptism a part of salvation? Don't you have to be baptized to be saved?
Firstly, we should read this verse in line with what else we know about salvation as we read in many other places that salvation is grace alone accepted through faith alone(Ephesians 2:8-9) such that any interpretation which states that baptism is essential for salvation is a faulty interpretation.

Got Questions Ministries in their article Does Acts 2:38 Teach That Baptism Is Necessary For Salvation? states that the main point of contention of this verse is clearly the word "for" (Greek: eis). But like English, the Greek had different uses for the word "for". There are three possible meanings:
1. In order to become, have, get, and so on.
2. Because of, as the result of.
3. With regard to.
They then go and examine the useage of this word in other passages and come to the conclusion that they were baptised because they had forgiveness of their sins. You should check out the article if you are interested in the reasoning behind their conclusion.

When Peter says "in the name of Jesus Christ" he simply means that the person being baptised confesses Christ. Acts always uses this phrase with "be baptised" - the passive, never the active; it does not denote a formula said over the person being baptised, but rather indicates the confession of faith of the person receiving baptism (Keener, 1993:329).

Furthermore, Peter calls for a public, radical testimony of conversion as opposed to a private noncommittal request for salvation with no contradictions. A modern day alternative would be an altar call where people come out to the front of the church and dedicate their lives to the Lord in front of the congregation.

Keener, C. 1993. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament. InterVarsity Press: Downers Grove, Illonois.

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Salvation may appear to be a MUCH WIDER GATE than many who try to BLOCK THOSE GATES are allowed to see:

And all flesh shall see the salvation of God. (Luke 3:6)

But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life. ( John 4:14)

And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward. (Matt. 10:42)

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men (Titus 2:11)

I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy." (Romans 11:11)

Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these. (Matthew 19:14)

And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing IF they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control. (1 Tim. 2:14,15 )

If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. (1 Corinthians 3:15)

hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord. (1 Corinthians 5:5)

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." (Jude 1:3)

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.” (James 2:24)

He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. (John 12:25)

The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. (John 6:63)

And will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life. (John 5:29)

He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life. (John 6:54)

Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. (Hebrews 11:35)

And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. (2 Corinthians 1:6)

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. (Philippians 2:12)

For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ," (Philippians 1:19)

For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ," (1 Thessalonians 5:9)

But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation (2 Thessalonians 2:13)

And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; (Hebrews 5:9)

By standing firm you will gain life. (Luke 21:19)

And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? “And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. (Acts 16:31, 31)

And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover. (Mark 16:16-18)

Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. (1 Peter 3:20)

And take the helmet of salvation (Ephesians 6:17)

And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God. (Philippians 1:28)

Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. (2 Timothy 2:10)

Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? (Hebrews 1:14)

So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. (Hebrews 9:28)

Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (1 Peter 1:5)

And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation (Revelation 12:10)

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. (1 John 4:7)

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:7)

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
(Matthew 5:8)

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
(Matthew 5:9)

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them. (Luke 12:37)

Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things (1 Corinthians 1:26-28)

And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD" (Exodus 14:13)

I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. (Psalm 2:7,8)

But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation." (Psalm 13:5)

Whoever offers praise glorifies Me; And to him who orders his conduct aright I will show the salvation of God. (Psalm 50:23)

It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD. (Lamentations 3:26)

The presentations/methodologies of SALVATION are NUMEROUS.

enjoy!

squint

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

john 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baptism is a part of confession..:)

A recent invention in the history of Christianity.
Right, tonks....:confused:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%208:37-39;&version=9;
Acts 8:37-39 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)
37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Codex Laudianus 500 a.d. I wouldn't call that a recent invention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Right, tonks....:confused:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%208:37-39;&version=9;
Acts 8:37-39 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)
37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Codex Laudianus 500 a.d. I wouldn't call that a recent invention.

Confessional-style "baptism" certain is - particularly as it is missing the H2O which your passage aptly indicates. In that respect she is off by about, oh, 1500 years. It probably would have made more sense if I'd said the "Give Jesus a try" style of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A recent invention in the history of Christianity.
Yes. It seems only yesterday that Jesus was baptized by John. Time flies when your havin' good old fashioned Christian fun.
"...particularly as it is missing the H2O..."
Haven't heard of the waterless baptism yet, unless you mean the one by fire:
Matt 3:11 - I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

He's not a man! He's a machine!
Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

For those who do not know it:

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

To me it's based on biblical ideas and doctrines even though there's not really a form of it in Scripture. To me, this form of prayer brought people into a more relational mindset instead of a formalistic, just let the pastor or priest pray over and for me sort of thinking. It also was used to give people an idea of what to say when perhaps they really had no idea of what to say.

Go Cards!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.