• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Sep 2, 2023
Florida
✟8,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here and I wanted to share about the issue I’ve been going through for quite some time.

I believe this issue was fueled by my relapse into watching p___ almost 2 years ago. It’s an issue with impulsive thoughts, and more recently, feeling relief from physical stress from having said thoughts.

Basically, I find myself constantly in physical stress, usually in my face, shoulders and back, and even in my eyes.

This stress for some reason will usually not go away unless I have some kind of a sinful thought. Mostly they are blasphemous thoughts, for example: If I curse God in my mind, I instantly feel a relief in my body and I can feel all my physical stress go away.

Now, I can’t tell if the relief is because of a prideful heart that enjoys telling God a cursing thought, or if it’s because of the relief of carrying the burden of NOT HAVING SINFUL THOUGHTS all day, or perhaps both.

I greatly suffer from this, and the stress keeps me from being able to really focus on anything else throughout the day.

I know that I have fueled this pattern for months now, and I’ve gotten to the point where I no longer feel immense guilt and condemnation for these thoughts, but I just don’t want to have them on purpose for the knowledge that they will take away my physical stress.

Is this something mental or is it spiritual?

Any feedback is totally welcome.

Blessings!
MTC

Reactions: dms1972

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If I curse God in my mind, I instantly feel a relief in my body and I can feel all my physical stress go away.
...What happens if you bless God in your mind?

Maybe you have mistaken what is happening - even if you curse God, you still have God in mind
And though you think it a sinful thing to curse Him, and it is, He is still gracious enough to take the stress from you, which He is

Just a thought

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe this issue was fueled by my relapse into watching p___ almost 2 years ago. It’s an issue with impulsive thoughts, and more recently, feeling relief from physical stress from having said thoughts.

Basically, I find myself constantly in physical stress, usually in my face, shoulders and back, and even in my eyes.

Face, shoulders, back and eye stress - how many hours are you spending a day in front of a computer screen?, that could do it if the number is big, and any kind of computer related addiction (p___, gaming, social media) could make the number big. Sin itself though, I think is a stress and anxiety causer, we can't really expect to have peace associated with it, when we know we are going wrong.

Most addictions are coping mechanisms that have taken on a life of their own and insist on sitting in the driver's seat. Cursing the rightful driver might be giving some temporary relief, like a man saying "screw the police!" to give himself courage or self-justification when he knows he's committed a crime like stealing a car and is likely to be tracked, caught and held accountable... but it's not a good long term play and it doesn't end well for the man.

Best to just turn yourself in at the station if any of that applies; the Judge just wants to help if you want him to

Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You mention relapse 2 years ago but no mention of quitting?

This sounds like a spiritual stronghold that you have yet to be delivered from. Contentography is a vile, disgusting and spiritually harming practice, it is also full of human trafficking, abuse and exploitation. It is the easiest gateway to feelings of shame, guilt, anger, resentment, lust, objectification, deceit, anxiety, depression, all of which will grieve God greatly and keep you locked behind the doors away from the purity of Christ.

Now let me tell you, I myself watched it regularly during my young and adult life, It was introduced to me through my father as a child and that was his way of sexual education, momentary pleasure, gives lengthy periods of anguish…………Only through, total forgiveness and repentance can your stronghold be left out of your life. Your repentance is to destroy everything you have left associated with it, inclusive of physical media and access to it via the internet. Once the physical removal has been complete (with no stone left unturned) it’s time then for your prayers for forgiveness and deliverance. Then pray daily for guidance.

When I have desires of any sort that are not of Gods work, I say to myself I love Jesus 10 times, visualise him suffering on the cross and it’s gone.

My language is strong when I use terms like vile and disgusting but I use it not to shame or judge you but to reiterate how it harms God, it harms you, it harms relationships, often enriched by God, it brings nothing but a hopeless circle of negativity enriched by Satan. See this as your time to help Christ refill your cup.

If you have already received Christ in your life, Your mind and heart are full of the spirit, the more you damage the spirit the further away you are from a stress free, peaceful and fulfilling life, with blossoming relationships and desire for selflessnes. The more you ignore the spirit, the more you are drawn to the practice of human desires, not the work of God, exactly as Satan wanted.

I beg of you today to start a new life under the stewardship of our father, through the love of Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I beg of you to drop to your knees today and I beg of you to start a new life with God.

I want to be clear that I AM not judging you, IM BEING HONEST AND FIRM WITH YOU…….we all have sinful feelings and we all commit sin, but God and ONLY GOD, should drive your heart and mind……..not SIN!

Download the book by Beth Moore “spiritual strongholds” and read every word.

Your mind and heart need changing, then watch the desire subside.

I thank God you have been brought here and I send my deepest prayers for your healing.

Much love

David

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here and I wanted to share about the issue I’ve been going through for quite some time.

This stress for some reason will usually not go away unless I have some kind of a sinful thought. Mostly they are blasphemous thoughts, for example: If I curse God in my mind, I instantly feel a relief in my body and I can feel all my physical stress go away.

Now, I can’t tell if the relief is because of a prideful heart that enjoys telling God a cursing thought, or if it’s because of the relief of carrying the burden of NOT HAVING SINFUL THOUGHTS all day, or perhaps both.

I greatly suffer from this, and the stress keeps me from being able to really focus on anything else throughout the day.

I know that I have fueled this pattern for months now, and I’ve gotten to the point where I no longer feel immense guilt and condemnation for these thoughts, but I just don’t want to have them on purpose for the knowledge that they will take away my physical stress.

Is this something mental or is it spiritual?

Any feedback is totally welcome.

Blessings!
MTC
Thank you for sharing! Just to clarify, are you having the thoughts on purpose because you want to, or because you feel like you have to? What happens if you choose not to have one of those thoughts when you get the urge to?

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2023
Florida
✟8,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for sharing! Just to clarify, are you having the thoughts on purpose because you want to, or because you feel like you have to? What happens if you choose not to have one of those thoughts when you get the urge to?
Well, sometimes they come in by themselves, but for the most part, I have to resist the urge NOT to purposely think them because I know they will relieve the tension, but they are sin, so I don’t want to dishonor God.

However, sometimes I can’t resist, and I do have them on purpose in order to relieve tension, but I feel massive guilt afterward, which often puts me back into stress.

I believe this tension has a deep connection to sexual release, because I associate things like m_sturbation to be rebellious against God, as are also blasphemous thoughts - so when I do this “rebellious thing,” it releases endorphins or something and allows that tension to go away. Does that make sense?

My wish is to get to a point where those tensions are 100% gone, and then do my best to not bring them back in any way..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 2, 2023
Florida
✟8,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
It goes back to stopping the mbation and using any other means to gain pleasure. The MB releases endorphins, that’s your fix, the sinful thoughts will subside if you can break your habit.
Well then Amen. My goal is to stop completely. Thanks for the advice brother !!

Upvote 0

har_habayit

Sep 20, 2023
Arizona
✟6,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi MoreThanConqueror, it is well established that a root of men looking at material that isn't good is to relieve stress. The pressures of life can add up. Even when I am successful in not engaging in material that is harmful, which is really impossible in today's world, I still feel driven to eat ice cream at night.

Unfortunately, our world is pretty stressful. The problem is that PPU just makes the problem way worse. Instead of relieving your stress, it adds to it, adding a load of guilt, shame, and horrific flashbacks. And if you are looking for a real partner, PPU makes it way less likely, because you will like yourself less.

PPU is one of the greatest scourges that man has ever known. Any dime you have or any ounce of energy you possess should be towards getting rid of this issue.

Upvote 0