Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In the old covenant, sins were forgiven but they had to offer their blood sacrifices over and over again because the blood of goats or bulls was not enough to deal with their sins. In the new covenant, sins were forgiven once and for all because the Lamb of God had made the final sacrifice (on the cross) that takes away the sin of the world (Jn 1:29), yet despite that, we are made responsible for all our sins whether they are "white lies" or "deceptive lies." We must forsake all sins regardless of what they are because sin breaks our relationship with the Lord. The Holy Spirit will let us know what we need to do when a sin against someone else has been committed. Having a relationship with the Lord makes it more difficult to ignore our sins, that is, if you hold that relationship with Him dear to your heart.

Nowhere in the scripture do we find that venial sins are not "as bad" as the more serious ones. This deception would lead us to teach that "minor sins" (in our view) don't matter that much because they are not significant in comparison with the major ones. Remember what Yeshua said back in Matt. 5:19:

Matthew 5:19 (LSB) “Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

In the old testament only sins of ignorance were atoned for through sacrifice. Mortal sins were not. Through baptism even mortal ins are forgiven, that's the reason Paul said to the men of the synagogue at Antioch:

Act 13:39 “and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Some sins a person could be justified for under the law of Moses, but some could not be.

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is Catholic teaching that the worship for God is for God alone. Don't confuse this with the veneration of saints, they are fine examples for us. We all should call the Mother of God blessed. We ask the saints to pray for us--the Bible says we are to pray for one another. There are many forms of idolatry, it could be you or others practice some form of idolatry more than the Catholics you accuse. This is up to Our Lord to judge.
It is Catholic teaching that the worship for God is for God alone. Don't confuse this with the veneration of saints, they are fine examples for us. We all should call the Mother of God blessed. We ask the saints to pray for us--the Bible says we are to pray for one another. There are many forms of idolatry, it could be you or others practice some form of idolatry more than the Catholics you accuse. This is up to Our Lord to judge.

I was a Catholic for 34 years and I am very much aware of what they taught. All I did was to learn the Catechism, but never once did a priest open the scriptures to teach what this means. We had to accept at face value whatever they said without giving one ounce of evidence. As for Mery, if she was the mother of God, then we have a human being partaking of the deity of God. So, instead of having a Trinity, now we have a "Quad-trinity" giving a mere human being born in sin like everybody else to become the mother of God. Nothing in the scriptures says anything of that sort. Actually, Yeshua never called Mary "mother", He always called her "woman."

If Mary is the mother of God, is she married to God the Father?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was a Catholic for 34 years and I am very much aware of what they taught. All I did was to learn the Catechism, but never once did a priest open the scriptures to teach what this means. We had to accept at face value whatever they said without giving one ounce of evidence. As for Mery, if she was the mother of God, then we have a human being partaking of the deity of God. So, instead of having a Trinity, now we have a "Quad-trinity" giving a mere human being born in sin like everybody else to become the mother of God. Nothing in the scriptures says anything of that sort. Actually, Yeshua never called Mary "mother", He always called her "woman."

If Mary is the mother of God, is she married to God the Father?
You are supposed to attend at least Sunday mass to be a practicing Catholic. At almost every Sunday mass the priest gives a homily on a particular Biblical passage. Our pastor also gives a homily at weekday masses. Besides that so much of the mass is from the Bible. But an hour a week is not enough, you get out of it what you put into it. There are Bible courses at our parish and there are free online Catholic Bible courses, I enjoy the free courses at the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology online. Likewise at our chapel connected to the church there are various versions of the Bible for reading if you don't want to bring your own. Read your Bible! When Mary comes to Elizabeth she calls Mary the "mother of my Lord." If you know your Psalms you know "My Lord" is used to refer to God. Catholics consider the Bible the Word of God, and that is good enough for us. "Woman" is used by Jesus at the wedding at Cana, it is used in respect and is used at the wedding at Cana where Jesus begins his public ministry at Mary's request. It is also used at the foot of the cross, when Mary is made a spiritual mother to you and to me.

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are supposed to attend at least Sunday mass to be a practicing Catholic. At almost every Sunday mass the priest gives a homily on a particular Biblical passage. Our pastor also gives a homily at weekday masses. Besides that so much of the mass is from the Bible. But an hour a week is not enough, you get out of it what you put into it. There are Bible courses at our parish and there are free online Catholic Bible courses, I enjoy the free courses at the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology online. Likewise at our chapel connected to the church there are various versions of the Bible for reading if you don't want to bring your own. Read your Bible! When Mary comes to Elizabeth she calls Mary the "mother of my Lord." If you know your Psalms you know "My Lord" is used to refer to God. Catholics consider the Bible the Word of God, and that is good enough for us. "Woman" is used by Jesus at the wedding at Cana, it is used in respect and is used at the wedding at Cana where Jesus begins his public ministry at Mary's request. It is also used at the foot of the cross, when Mary is made a spiritual mother to you and to me.
When I confessed to the Lord Yeshua that I wanted Him in my personal life, He gave me His life in exchange for mine. He accepted me as I was and gave me His Spirit that led me to receive internal healing. From that point on, I began to discover who God is through his written word while the Spirit of Christ taught me to walk with Him moment by moment and step by step. He required no religion, no works of my flesh, no promises, and no sacrifices. All He wants is an intimate relationship with each one of us on a daily basis. He took care of my sin on the cross, He defeated death in His resurrection, and gave His Spirit to those who confess His name.

In the course of my life, He revealed Himself to me and turned my life around completely. I left my past behind; I left religion behind and began to walk with Him in righteousness and in truth. His love of the cross conquered me and filled me with so much love, therefore all the days of my life I will serve the Lord and I will glorify Him with my thoughts, my words, my deeds, and the love He placed deep inside my soul.

The apostle Paul said in Galatians 2:20 "... who loved me and gave Himself up for me." That's exactly what happened to me. Because of that, I will never again go back to Catholicism because there is nothing there for me. I'm no longer interested in religion and personal sacrifices that amount to nothing but a big fat zero.

I pray that you receive what I have just said, and let the Lord turn your life around and give you His Spirit as a down payment of your salvation (Ephesians 1:13-14). So, unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God (John 3:3, 7).

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I confessed to the Lord Yeshua that I wanted Him in my personal life, He gave me His life in exchange for mine. He accepted me as I was and gave me His Spirit that led me to receive internal healing. From that point on, I began to discover who God is through his written word while the Spirit of Christ taught me to walk with Him moment by moment and step by step. He required no religion, no works of my flesh, no promises, and no sacrifices. All He wants is an intimate relationship with each one of us on a daily basis. He took care of my sin on the cross, He defeated death in His resurrection, and gave His Spirit to those who confess His name.

In the course of my life, He revealed Himself to me and turned my life around completely. I left my past behind; I left religion behind and began to walk with Him in righteousness and in truth. His love of the cross conquered me and filled me with so much love, therefore all the days of my life I will serve the Lord and I will glorify Him with my thoughts, my words, my deeds, and the love He placed deep inside my soul.

The apostle Paul said in Galatians 2:20 "... who loved me and gave Himself up for me." That's exactly what happened to me. Because of that, I will never again go back to Catholicism because there is nothing there for me. I'm no longer interested in religion and personal sacrifices that amount to nothing but a big fat zero.

I pray that you receive what I have just said, and let the Lord turn your life around and give you His Spirit as a down payment of your salvation (Ephesians 1:13-14). So, unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God (John 3:3, 7).
Thank you. It is the Catholic way to establish a personal relationship with Jesus.
John 6:53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; RSVCE

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. It is the Catholic way to establish a personal relationship with Jesus.
John 6:53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; RSVCE
The Catholic Church does not have a monopoly on how to have a living relationship with the Lord. The noun "church" simply means "'called out' ... of the world" in order to be part of the kingdom of God. They brag they are the true church, but I don't need religion to tell me how to have a living relationship with the Lord. I already have it and most Catholics have no idea what I'm talking about. I say that by experience.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church does not have a monopoly on how to have a living relationship with the Lord. The noun "church" simply means "'called out' ... of the world" in order to be part of the kingdom of God. They brag they are the true church, but I don't need religion to tell me how to have a living relationship with the Lord. I already have it and most Catholics have no idea what I'm talking about. I say that by experience.
I haven't heard a lot of Catholics "bragging." We all can strive for a personal relationship in Jesus, a relationship we can have in many ways.

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I haven't heard a lot of Catholics "bragging." We all can strive for a personal relationship in Jesus, a relationship we can have in many ways.
Catholics brag up and down that they are the true church, that they are the ones who gave us the Bible, etc., yet few are truly born again. Are you or did you just go through the rituals?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Catholics brag up and down that they are the true church, that they are the ones who gave us the Bible, etc., yet few are truly born again. Are you or did you just go through the rituals?
Actually all Catholics are born again through the sacrament of Baptism. As the Bible says, Baptism saves us, and we continue to be saved. The Catholic Church is almost 2000 years old. It is simply a historical fact that the Catholic Church chose the 73 books of the Bible and gave the world the Bible in the late 300s. It's not bragging, it's like saying George Washington was the first president of the United States. Why would it bother anyone?

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually all Catholics are born again through the sacrament of Baptism. As the Bible says, Baptism saves us, and we continue to be saved. The Catholic Church is almost 2000 years old. It is simply a historical fact that the Catholic Church chose the 73 books of the Bible and gave the world the Bible in the late 300s. It's not bragging, it's like saying George Washington was the first president of the United States. Why would it bother anyone?
Can you define what it means to be born again, biblically speaking?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 John 5:16 says: "If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make a request for this."(NAS '95)

Within the context of this epistle, what is this sin that leads to death? I believe that the sin that leads to death has to do with what John has been saying all along, but I would like to know what you guys believe this sin to be. Please explain briefly.
Rejecting the Gospel and Jesus is the sin that always leads to death.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Rejecting the Gospel and Jesus is the sin that always leads to death.

1 John 5:16-17​

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition​

If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God[a] will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sure. In John 3 born again means receiving the sacrament of Baptism.
Does John 3 say that? What you are saying has to do with an empty ritual that changes no one, but when a person comes to Christ and confesses Him as Lord from his heart, a change begins to take place from within, even though I want through all the rituals that the Catholic command, I became worse and worse as became a young man. Religious rituals do not change anyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does John 3 say that? What you are saying has to do with an empty ritual that changes no one, but when a person comes to Christ and confesses Him as Lord from his heart, a change begins to take place from within, even though I want through all the rituals that the Catholic command, I became worse and worse as became a young man. Religious rituals do not change anyone.
The Word of God says otherwise. The Sacrament of Baptism is of crucial importance. God does not operate in any time constrains we wish to impose upon Him. He is always there for us, we have free will to accept or reject Him.

John 3: 5 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition​

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Matthew 28:19-20 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition​

19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.”

Upvote 0

black-pawn

Nov 24, 2022
Woodhaven
✟14,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Word of God says otherwise. The Sacrament of Baptism is of crucial importance. God does not operate in any time constrains we wish to impose upon Him. He is always there for us, we have free will to accept or reject Him.

John 3: 5 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition​

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Matthew 28:19-20 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition​

19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.”
You make a huge mistake when you implant your own beliefs into the word of God. and then claim the word of God says that. God's word says nothing about the sacrament of baptism changing us. Anyone can be baptized in the church simply by enrolling. I received all the sacraments of the Church and became very wicked as time went on. Catholic gangsters have been baptized in the church, pedophiles have been baptized in the church, thieves and criminals have been baptized in the church, yet they continued in the walk of ungodliness while the baptism did nothing for them. How do you explain that?

To be born again has nothing to do with rituals. Actually, it takes an experience with Christ through faith after we have confessed that He is Lord.

Romans 10:9-10 (LSB) "That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart a person believes, leading to righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, leading to salvation."

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You make a huge mistake when you implant your own beliefs into the word of God. and then claim the word of God says that. God's word says nothing about the sacrament of baptism changing us. Anyone can be baptized in the church simply by enrolling. I received all the sacraments of the Church and became very wicked as time went on. Catholic gangsters have been baptized in the church, pedophiles have been baptized in the church, thieves and criminals have been baptized in the church, yet they continued in the walk of ungodliness while the baptism did nothing for them. How do you explain that?

To be born again has nothing to do with rituals. Actually, it takes an experience with Christ through faith after we have confessed that He is Lord.

Romans 10:9-10 (LSB) "That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart a person believes, leading to righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, leading to salvation."
Consider heeding your own words. Romans 10 9-10 does not contain the words "born again."

Justin Martyr AD 155-157 Chapter 61. Christian baptism​

I will also relate the manner in which we dedicated ourselves to God when we had been made new through Christ; lest, if we omit this, we seem to be unfair in the explanation we are making. As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, Unless you be born again, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As to being saved, the Bible tells us:

1 Pet 3:20-21
God patiently waited in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water. This prefigured baptism, which saves you now.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If that was the case, why did John bother to say it? He also said there is a sin not leading to death. What is that sin?
Any sin that can be repented and forgiven is a sin not leading to death but anyone who rejects Jesus has no hope of anything other than death.

Upvote 0