• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Simple question

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Twelve, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Twelve

Twelve If you give me a hand, I will help you hold on...

+20
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Where did it all come from? The big bang, singularity, whatever it is atheists claim created the universe. I have asked over and over again: Where did it come from? Unfortunately, all I have gotten was "we don't know." Is that it? Do you simply say "I don't know" and leave it at that? If so, why? Why not try to figure it out?

Then comes the question: Where did God come from?
    Simply put, God didn't come from anything. God is a timeless, eternal being.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Allegory

Allegory Well-Known Member

+118
    Humanist
    Private
    CA-Greens
    Farts.

3. Twelve

Twelve If you give me a hand, I will help you hold on...

+20
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Best answer I've ever gotten. :)

4. Washington

Washington Well-Known Member

+331
    Agnostic
    Seeing as how you have your answer before even posting the OP, the question is, why bother?

5. acropolis

acropolis so rad

+249
    Humanist
    Single
    The same thing can be said about whatever natural forces kicked off the universe.

Not that I agree necessarily, but being timeless and eternal do not need to be exclusive to God.

6. sbvera13

sbvera13 Senior Member

+171
    Pagan
    In Relationship
    Why is "I don't know" not enough? It's honest, to the point, and has just as much effect on our daily lives as saying "God did it"- that is to say pretty much none. Also, we are trying to figure it out- the people that do are called either physicists or astronomers, depending on what method they choose to use in their investigation. Just because they havn't found a definitive answer yet does not negate the value of the work they are doing. What is it you're trying to get at? Your OP doesn't raise any direct issues, please calrify your question for us so we can respond better.

7. m3th0dm4n

m3th0dm4n Junior Member

+3
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    It is based from observable data (that can be Googled easily enough). This information can lead one to postulate that the Universe began as a singularity and exploded outwards. It is a theory that can possibly explain the start of the Universe. Just because it doesn't involve God, doesn't mean that it's an Atheist's theory.

8. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+10,071
    Agnostic
    Married
    The universe did not come from anything. It is timeless and eternal.:thumbsup:

9. m9lc

m9lc Veteran

+93
    Atheist
    Single
    I dunno.

Because I don't care. The question has absolutely no relevance to my life.

10. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

+602
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    What would you have them do? Lie?

Don't you think we're trying?

And the exact same could be said for the Big Bang. The universe is a timeless, eternal entity.
    As an aside, if you believe your god to be timeless, then it follows that your god can perform no action or undergo change; such things require time to occur.

11. m3th0dm4n

m3th0dm4n Junior Member

+3
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    I never really understood the reasoning that there needs to be a justification for the existence of the Universe. Considering that 99.999999%* of the Universe is nothingness anyways.

*Totally made that number up but you get my drift.

12. Allegory

Allegory Well-Known Member

+118
    Humanist
    Private
    CA-Greens
    4% of the universe is ordinary matter, the rest is dark energy and dark matter.

13. m3th0dm4n

m3th0dm4n Junior Member

+3
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    Wow that's a much bigger percentage than I thought!

14. Nitron

Nitron HIKES CAN TAKE A WALK

+147
    Agnostic
    Single
    1. "We don't know" is not the same as "we're not trying to figure it out".

2. If God is timeless and eternal, why can't the universe be timeless and eternal?

15. TeddyKGB

TeddyKGB A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude

+427
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    The rest of the stuff, you mean. The universe is mostly empty at the macro scale; quantum mechanics posits a background "foam" at the Planck-scale.

16. Adivi

Adivi Regular Member

+40
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I don't know, but I do know that leading cosmologists and physicists are trying to figure this out. I can't help, obviously, so I'm not bothering to think about it too much at this point.

17. BrainHertz

BrainHertz Senior Member

+24
    Atheist
    Married
    Plenty of people are in fact trying to figure it out. They may or may not succeed in doing so.

As to your objetion to the "we don't know" answer, why do you have a problem with this? The right answer doesn't have to be the one that is most aesthetically pleasing. If "we don't know" is the response to which the available data points, why should we discard it and pick a different arbitrary answer?

But how do you know this?

18. eri

eri Regular Member

+22
    Atheist
    I think you mean scientists, not atheists. I'm finishing a PhD in astrophysics, and most of the others in the program and in the department are not atheists. But they'll tell you the universe began in the big bang.

And that's the correct answer. We have theories, and we can probably test some of them in the next few decades (it takes a long time to get an instrument approved, funded, built, and launched). Check back in 20 years or so.

Of course we're trying to figure it out. Haven't you been reading the Astrophysical Journal? No? Then how did you come to the conclusion no one is working on this?

If God gets to be timeless, why not the universe? After all, we've got a lot more evidence that the universe exists than we do of a god.

19. moogoob

moogoob Resident Deist

+39
    Deist
    CA-Others
    Good point... I agree with you on both points.

Now, making me agree with you as to the character and actions of whatever being/brain-in-a-jar/etc kick-started the universe is a different story. ;)

20. flatworm

flatworm Veteran

+148
    Atheist
    Private
    I don't know, and neither do you. Scientists are trying to figure it out. Those who plug in their favourite mythology and call it solved are not.

The reason science doesn't invoke supernatural explanations is not some kind of atheistic bias. We've tried the other way, we really have. Throughout most of human history it was routine to simply invoke a god, a miracle, a spirit, or whatever whenever we ran into something we didn't understand. Throughout all those millenia, though, it never got us anywhere. We tried it, and it doesn't work, so we don't do it any more.

In fact, using the holes in your knowledge to justify your faith is actually counterproductive to the search for knowledge, because now you've placed yourself in the position of having to defend those holes in defense of your faith. Your faith then becomes a synonym for ignorance and new knowledge becomes its enemy. The products of this sort of thinking litter this forum for anyone to see.