Signs of Wolves In Sheeps Clothing

noweapon60

Jan 12, 2013
✟7,611.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have been in ministry long enough to see and notice that there are wolves in sheep’s clothing. It becomes tiresome to see so many people who say they are a Christian and then undermine all that God is doing in and through the church. This doesn’t come as a surprise since Satan is continually trying to undo what God is doing. So we know that Satan is also at work in the church. Jesus warned us about such people when He said, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.” (Matt 7:15, NIV) So what do these wolves look like?

1. Wolves gossip. They go around talking about people they are offended with and don’t actually talk to the person they are offended by. This may involve lies and slander. Always beware of those who gossip. They are bad news. (2 Tim 3:1-5; 2 Pet 2:3; 1 John 4:20)
2. Wolves are easily offended. (Prov 18:19; 2 Tim 3:1-5; 1 John 4:20)
3. Wolves misuse the scriptures. (2 Tim 4:3; 2 Pet 2:1-2, 12)
4. Wolves speak against the spiritual authority God has placed over the church. This applies to speaking against the elders, but primarily against the pastor. (2 Pet 2:10; 1 John 4:20)
5. Wolves are always right. They have the attitude: “it is my way or the high way.” (2 Tim 3:1-5; 2 Pet 2:14)
6. Wolves are argumentative. It is as if they look for fights. (Prov 18:19; 1 John 4:20)
7. Wolves do not seek all the information needed to make a decision. They will only listen to what supports their opinion. (2 Tim 4:3; 1 John 4:20)
8. Wolves vie for power. (2 Pet 2:14, 19)
9. Wolves undermine the work of the church as commanded by Jesus, to make disciples through discipleship and evangelism. (Matt 28:19-20; 2 Pet 2:1-2, 12)
10. Wolves are unwilling to admit when they are wrong and never apologize or ask for forgiveness. (2 Tim 3:1-5; 1 John 4:20)
11. Wolves are proud. (2 Tim 3:1-5)

How can you tell if you yourself are a wolf in sheep’s clothing? You read the above list and are offended by it.

This list does not mean that Wolves fit the whole of it. Even if we see one of these points we must be cautious at the possibility and wait for more signs before concluding that they are wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Church leadership needs to be aware of such people, because these people are very destructive to the church. Church leadership also needs to watch for it in their own ranks, because church leadership are not immune to having wolves in sheep’s clothing. When a wolf in sheep’s clothing is identified the church leadership needs to deal with the issue promptly so to keep the damage at minimum. Some may be afraid of dealing with these wolves because of how this might affect the church. Let me be clear with this. No matter what you do, wolves will cause damage; it’s just a matter of how much damage you allow them to do. The sooner the wolf is dealt with, the less damage there will be.

The next question may be how do we deal with wolves? We must follow the example Jesus gives us in Matt 18. We are first to go to the person. If there is no change, then two witnesses must be brought. If the person still does not comply they must be brought to the church leadership for discipline. This discipline may include expulsion from the church should the person fail to comply with the church leadership. This doesn’t mean that the person cannot come back to the church; but that they can, should they follow the directives given by the church leadership. Remember, church discipline is always about restoring. It is up to the person being disciplined to comply with the standards God has given in order to be restored to fellowship.

It is always good to be proactive so there is less chance of a wolf to gain power within church leadership. One way is to be diligent to follow 1 Timothy 3 when choosing elders and deacons. This will minimize the possibility of selecting wolves in leadership. The pastor or search committee must ask good questions of the elder or deacon candidate. This includes asking the person if they agree with the vision of the church and support the pastor. If they don’t, DO NOT ENTERTAIN HIS/HER NAME TO STAND FOR LEADERSHIP. They will cause problems.

Here are a few vital questions to ask of a elder/deacon candidate.

1. How frequently have you been reading your Bible in the past four months?
2. How frequently have you been praying to God in the past four months?
3. In your prayer times have you been praying for the church and it’s pastor?
4. How have you been helping to fulfill the vision God has given this church?
5. What has God been teaching you in the last week? Month? Year?

If the elder/deacon candidate cannot answer these questions to the degree expected for the church leadership, then do not entertain the person for church leadership. They will cause problems in the church, because they are not hearing God’s voice for the clear direction needed to be a part of church leadership.

Let us be diligent in the work God has called us as leaders, to lead the church in His direction, while protecting the flock from ferocious wolves.
What if the wolves are leadership or family members?

Upvote 0

Preachersmama

Jun 26, 2013
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My son who happens to be a preacher <edit> publicly disownes me, fabricates stories about me that I'm unconnected to him, not concerned about him, etc. but in private he tells me how much he loves me, and when he needs money he asks for it and i send it, in private he tells me that I'm an important part of his life,etc. It's so heartbreaking! I called him last Saturday to ask him why he was painting such a bad picture of me publicly and he was so disrespectful to me, he talked to me as if I were nothing and actually called me a lier by denying an entry that he put on his facebook page, he ended the call when his wife returned home! and threatend to end his relationship with me! He distributes cd's of his sermons, and on one cd he stated that his father and me told him when he was a child that he would grow up to be nothing! That is such a lie, his father was never around when he was a child, and my mother and father raised him while I served our country in the military.I just can't understand why he would spread such lies against me, I love him so much and he knows it. He's been pushing me away for the past 7 years by ignoring my phone calls, not returning messages, etc. It really hurts me to know that my son is useing emotional manipulation to win his audience with me as his scapegoat and because they don't know me, and I'm not there to defend myself they believe him. I'm hurt, but I do forgive him, I just pray that he would stop doing this.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not so sure that I'm not a wolf, so I've given up on making friends for the most part and I avoid going to church, because I'm afraid I'll cause more harm than good. I'm also kind of lazy and it's just easier not to go to church.

Maybe you just need to make different kind of friends? What kind of harm are you talking about, at church? Sounds interesting. ^.^

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe you just need to make different kind of friends? What kind of harm are you talking about, at church? Sounds interesting. ^.^

I haven't really made friends in a long time except online, and it's been a long time. I had friends in middle school, but it has been a long time since I made friends. When I went to college I tried to make friends, but then I developed schizophrenia and dropped out. There is always some kind of complication and everybody hates me, so I've kind of given up. At least my family loves me. One of the last things one of my friends prayed for when I was at college was that my heart not be made of stone. I've gotten kind of used to not having friends at this point, and with schizophrenia just forget it.

Upvote 0
D

Denied

God has not placed a man in an upper rank of specialness above the folks. Functions yes, but not top down control.
Jesus washed the disciples feet then told them that if any among them wishes to be great they must follow His example of servanthood.
Diotrephes tried lifting himself above the flock and John had a few choice words about it.
Was Christ just kidding when He said that the Gentiles have rulers over them but 'it shall not be so among you' ? According to the church He had to be kidding. For we are not obeying this clear cut command!
Search the word high and low and you'll not find the 'single pastor', executive or otherwise anywhere. There was a plurality of elders/shepherds that guided the new converts by example, not by upper chamber control.
1Cor.12 ans 14 clearly shows all the members functioning with their gifts in an open meeting. No single exalted pastor, no sermon. Their assembling was not a spectator sport, everyone quiet paying a professional to do it all. The wolves/hirelings are in the pulpit. Some know what they are and some have honorable intentions but they are devouring the flock nonetheless!
Most of the folks reading this are not going to get it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is true that sometimes the wolf can be the pastor, but we must be careful when we speak against those God has placed in authority over us. This is where 1 Tim 5:19 is so important.

One other caution, be sure not to list names; it can and usually does end up becoming gossip whether it is true or not.

What if I know a unsaved pedophile who had relations with my sister when she was 13, got her into drugs, is still unrepentant and believes he did nothing wrong, and wants to become a Pastor? What if he becomes a pastor while still unrepentant and gets a church and I believe he is going to prey on the little girls in that church?

If that happens I am warning his congregation! This isn't small. Its far worse then the appeasement of the judaizers! Paul publically rebuked Peter for his appeasement of the judaizers. Peter repented. Wasn't Peter a leader in the Church? Well yes, and that's why the judaizers wanted him to stop eating with gentiles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Hello Pastor Kevin,

You've almost applied all the signs of a wolf to Church members rather than readers. The verse in Matthew 7:15 where the term "Wolves in Sheep's clothing" is introduced, Christ refers to them (wolves) also as false prophets. They have to be in a position that's visible and audible to be false prophets.
I think your application is distorted. Wolves in sheep clothing's are more applicable for leaders rather than members. If you are thinking that just because the word "sheep" is used, it's about church members, you would be wrong, Christ is the Shepherd, and everyone else is either a sheep (or a goat).

But your misapplication and misuse of the bible, and going by your own conclusions (your 3rd point) about people who do such thing, suggests that you are a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been in ministry long enough to see and notice that there are wolves in sheep’s clothing. It becomes tiresome to see so many people who say they are a Christian and then undermine all that God is doing in and through the church. This doesn’t come as a surprise since Satan is continually trying to undo what God is doing. So we know that Satan is also at work in the church. Jesus warned us about such people when He said, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.” (Matt 7:15, NIV) So what do these wolves look like?

1. Wolves gossip. They go around talking about people they are offended with and don’t actually talk to the person they are offended by. This may involve lies and slander. Always beware of those who gossip. They are bad news. (2 Tim 3:1-5; 2 Pet 2:3; 1 John 4:20)
4. Wolves speak against the spiritual authority God has placed over the church. This applies to speaking against the elders, but primarily against the pastor. (2 Pet 2:10; 1 John 4:20)
5. Wolves are always right. They have the attitude: “it is my way or the high way.” (2 Tim 3:1-5; 2 Pet 2:14)
6. Wolves are argumentative. It is as if they look for fights. (Prov 18:19; 1 John 4:20)
7. Wolves do not seek all the information needed to make a decision. They will only listen to what supports their opinion. (2 Tim 4:3; 1 John 4:20)
9. Wolves undermine the work of the church as commanded by Jesus, to make disciples through discipleship and evangelism. (Matt 28:19-20; 2 Pet 2:1-2, 12)
10. Wolves are unwilling to admit when they are wrong and never apologize or ask for forgiveness. (2 Tim 3:1-5; 1 John 4:20)

How can you tell if you yourself are a wolf in sheep’s clothing? You read the above list and are offended by it.

This list does not mean that Wolves fit the whole of it. Even if we see one of these points we must be cautious at the possibility and wait for more signs before concluding that they are wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Church leadership needs to be aware of such people, because these people are very destructive to the church. Church leadership also needs to watch for it in their own ranks, because church leadership are not immune to having wolves in sheep’s clothing. When a wolf in sheep’s clothing is identified the church leadership needs to deal with the issue promptly so to keep the damage at minimum. Some may be afraid of dealing with these wolves because of how this might affect the church. Let me be clear with this. No matter what you do, wolves will cause damage; it’s just a matter of how much damage you allow them to do. The sooner the wolf is dealt with, the less damage there will be.

The next question may be how do we deal with wolves? We must follow the example Jesus gives us in Matt 18. We are first to go to the person. If there is no change, then two witnesses must be brought. If the person still does not comply they must be brought to the church leadership for discipline. This discipline may include expulsion from the church should the person fail to comply with the church leadership. This doesn’t mean that the person cannot come back to the church; but that they can, should they follow the directives given by the church leadership. Remember, church discipline is always about restoring. It is up to the person being disciplined to comply with the standards God has given in order to be restored to fellowship.

It is always good to be proactive so there is less chance of a wolf to gain power within church leadership. One way is to be diligent to follow 1 Timothy 3 when choosing elders and deacons. This will minimize the possibility of selecting wolves in leadership. The pastor or search committee must ask good questions of the elder or deacon candidate. This includes asking the person if they agree with the vision of the church and support the pastor. If they don’t, DO NOT ENTERTAIN HIS/HER NAME TO STAND FOR LEADERSHIP. They will cause problems.

If the elder/deacon candidate cannot answer these questions to the degree expected for the church leadership, then do not entertain the person for church leadership. They will cause problems in the church, because they are not hearing God’s voice for the clear direction needed to be a part of church leadership.

Let us be diligent in the work God has called us as leaders, to lead the church in His direction, while protecting the flock from ferocious wolves.

You have the mindset the wolf is not in leadership. Most wolves I have seen are behind the pulpit and fit what you have listed to a tee. Self seeking, lovers of money, brutal, harsh...etc

Upvote 0

AncientTruth

Oct 30, 2015
✟7,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:15-20: "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.Thus you will recognize them by their fruits."

You will recognize false prophets by their fruits. The fruit of a prophet is their teaching. Those who teach falsely are false prophets. They are the wolves, even while their teaching is often very pleasing to their congregations.

"For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions...." - 2 Timothy 4:3

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can tell a wolf by their fruits yes, and they often are in leadership or call themselves pastors. Remember our true shepherd is Jesus and we listen to HIS voice. The pastor in turn has to listen to Jesus voice and look after his sheep and feed them, it is the same characteristics of a relationship that a parent has for their child.

The bible is not saying that the children are turning on their parents. In reality its the so-called parents turning out to be wolves and devouring their young. That is why many people in authority seem to have a free reign to abuse those under their care and dessimenate false teaching. It is not the people under them trying to get rid of the pastor, OP seems to have it the other way round.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

More and more, the wolves are even "coming out." Many churches, and much of society, has been taken over by bald face, in your face challengers preaching a false christ. The days of respect for the church are pretty much over. This is the falling away. 2 Thessalonians 2:3

But the matter is spiritual: "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powere, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." Ephesians 6:12

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree that a wolf in sheep clothing is a very real danger , because they will do damage to the true sheep . I think that their intent is to do damage to the sheep .

But I think that there are many Tares also that look like Wheat but are counterfeit , I do see them as being a similar problem , but not quite the same thing as wolves in sheep clothing.
This is the correct way to apply the term "wolves in sheep's clothing". It applies to false teachers, false apostles, false prophets, and false leaders (elders) within the assembly. Please note that Paul is addressing the elders at Ephesus and warning them about wolves, men who will draw other men to themselves with their false teachings, not the members of the church who are problematic (wheat and tares):

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. (Acts 20:28-30).

"Of your own selves" refers to pastor/elder/bishops. It is significant that not one of the false teachers on radio and television has been named in the OP. Those are the wolves who make merchandise of Christians, generally with the Prosperity Gospel.

Upvote 0

Follower212

Apr 5, 2016
Florida
✟15,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone. What communication tools does your church use to keep the congregation informed? What if services were canceled due to weather or a heating/cooling system failure? How would your Pastor let all the congregants know so they wouldn't head out for service? What if there was an emergency at your church? How would the congregation be notified of an emergency situation recommending no one come to the church grounds? Many people would be involved. How would your Pastor or Minister notify them all at the same time?

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Being a Sheep in Wolves clothing is better than a Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

A sheep in wolves clothing is how most of us start out as Christians (all maybe?).

Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. - Ephesians 4:31

All new Christians wear this like an armor, I believe. Unless they were raised Godly, by Christian parents and converted young perhaps. Those of us who lived like the world for any period of time, though, certainly would have wore these things.

Yet when I became a wolf in sheep's clothing in my past, what I had done was hid the spiteful things that I knew were in my heart. Now, I was actually trying to "do good" when I did this. I externally realized my behavior was wrong, so I changed my behavior. Seems good. But this is how you become a wolf in sheep's clothing, because while you might superficially change the outside the inside is totally rotten.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. - Matthew 23:27

It's a lot of work to be a whitewashed tomb, and all that work doesn't achieve anything beneficial on the inside, only hides it. People will certainly praise you or look up to you for it, though.

Now when you're a sheep in wolf's clothing, this is just better. It means you're a baby Christian. And if you realize this is the situation, it is also good because it's honest. The key at that point is to receive God's grace to cast off the bad behavior.

This is often why Christians look worse than atheists in moral behavior. It shouldn't be so, but it is so... part of why it is so is that we make an attempt to be honest, rather than hide our flaws with shame. Yet the difference here is the "moral atheist" or "moral religious person" is a wolf in sheep's clothing, while the true Christian is just a real sheep who doesn't yet know who he is in Christ if they are immature.

This is why it often appears to the world that the sheep are the moral people, and the wolves are found in Christian churches. If we only care about superficial behaviors and not heart issues, then it's probably true. In a contest of who can be the best looking to men on the outside, I wouldn't wager on a Christian... not even a Godly Christian who is mature.

Upvote 0