Signs of Wolves In Sheeps Clothing

A

All4HISglory

The list was great as a starting point as to what to look for. It is truly sad that this is an issue in the body of Christ. Although it is to be expected since Satan himself was kicked out do to wanting the glory that belonged to God.

That's why I agree that the number 11 trait should be 1, PRIDE! Pride is what I believe to be the foundation of every sin and pride and envy go hand and hand.

On another side of it, I think that Galatians 6 is also very instrumental when dealing with the people of God.

"1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. 4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load. 6 Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.
7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Granted, wolves generally only seek to destroy, but at one point they were most likely in lined with the Spirit of God before straying off into error. Before the expulsion of the unclean man, we ought to do all that we can do to show the error of their ways and restore them to their position in the body of Christ (just as the OP stated). It is Gal 6 that most people fail to remember and usually end up doing more damage then good when comes to restoring since it is usually done with judgement rather then love.

Mrs. Richard posting on my iPad using CF

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

ChristianLoveMinistries said:
Don't you think though that, as in recovery where many come who are new to Christianity, that one should "fake it until you make it?"

That's better than rejecting God, you know?

Thanks,

I think there is a clear difference between a babe in Christ"faking it until they make it" vs. a wolf in sheep's clothing.

1. is learning and seeking with pure, honest motives and 2. The other comes in with deceit in their heart and a plan to work against Gods will for that ministry.

Two different things. But I think that God can get the glory out of both situations.

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The other comes in with deceit in their heart and a plan to work against Gods will for that ministry.

In real terms the way this always works out is, if anyone disagrees with the minister he must be designated as a false prophet and condemned to hell. However, this position is very, very prevalent in the church, and it explains as much as anything why today more Christians are unchurched, than go to church.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

MPaul said:
In real terms the way this always works out is, if anyone disagrees with the minister he must be designated as a false prophet and condemned to hell. However, this position is very, very prevalent in the church, and it explains as much as anything why today more Christians are unchurched, than go to church.

Thats not what I'm saying at all.

I'm spiritually speaking about a spiritual attack against Gods people within ministry.

Not about someone disagreeing with a minister. Again 2 very clear differences that are determined by motive and intention.

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thats not what I'm saying at all.

I'm spiritually speaking about a spiritual attack against Gods people within ministry.

Not about someone disagreeing with a minister. Again 2 very clear differences that are determined by motive and intention.

Oh, the differences are clear? I didn't know that. But I was talking about the differences between reality and theology. But they say it is always "clear" who should be condemned to hell. When it is me they are talking about, I always disagree. And when it is others, it seems I always disagree too. It has led me to believe this issue is abused too much.

Sorry.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

MPaul said:
Oh, the differences are clear? I didn't know that. But I was talking about the differences between reality and theology. But they say it is always "clear" who should be condemned to hell. When it is me they are talking about, I always disagree. And when it is others, it seems I always disagree too. It has led me to believe this issue is abused too much.

Sorry.

I'm just not following you. I'm sorry. I might have missed something through the thread that isn't allowing your point to connect with mine.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been in ministry long enough to see and notice that there are wolves in sheep’s clothing. It becomes tiresome to see so many people who say they are a Christian and then undermine all that God is doing in and through the church. This doesn’t come as a surprise since Satan is continually trying to undo what God is doing. So we know that Satan is also at work in the church. Jesus warned us about such people when He said, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.” (Matt 7:15, NIV) So what do these wolves look like?

1. Wolves gossip. They go around talking about people they are offended with and don’t actually talk to the person they are offended by. This may involve lies and slander. Always beware of those who gossip. They are bad news. (2 Tim 3:1-5; 2 Pet 2:3; 1 John 4:20)
2. Wolves are easily offended. (Prov 18:19; 2 Tim 3:1-5; 1 John 4:20)
3. Wolves misuse the scriptures. (2 Tim 4:3; 2 Pet 2:1-2, 12)
4. Wolves speak against the spiritual authority God has placed over the church. This applies to speaking against the elders, but primarily against the pastor. (2 Pet 2:10; 1 John 4:20)
5. Wolves are always right. They have the attitude: “it is my way or the high way.” (2 Tim 3:1-5; 2 Pet 2:14)
6. Wolves are argumentative. It is as if they look for fights. (Prov 18:19; 1 John 4:20)
7. Wolves do not seek all the information needed to make a decision. They will only listen to what supports their opinion. (2 Tim 4:3; 1 John 4:20)
8. Wolves vie for power. (2 Pet 2:14, 19)
9. Wolves undermine the work of the church as commanded by Jesus, to make disciples through discipleship and evangelism. (Matt 28:19-20; 2 Pet 2:1-2, 12)
10. Wolves are unwilling to admit when they are wrong and never apologize or ask for forgiveness. (2 Tim 3:1-5; 1 John 4:20)
11. Wolves are proud. (2 Tim 3:1-5)

How can you tell if you yourself are a wolf in sheep’s clothing? You read the above list and are offended by it.

This list does not mean that Wolves fit the whole of it. Even if we see one of these points we must be cautious at the possibility and wait for more signs before concluding that they are wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Church leadership needs to be aware of such people, because these people are very destructive to the church. Church leadership also needs to watch for it in their own ranks, because church leadership are not immune to having wolves in sheep’s clothing. When a wolf in sheep’s clothing is identified the church leadership needs to deal with the issue promptly so to keep the damage at minimum. Some may be afraid of dealing with these wolves because of how this might affect the church. Let me be clear with this. No matter what you do, wolves will cause damage; it’s just a matter of how much damage you allow them to do. The sooner the wolf is dealt with, the less damage there will be.

The next question may be how do we deal with wolves? We must follow the example Jesus gives us in Matt 18. We are first to go to the person. If there is no change, then two witnesses must be brought. If the person still does not comply they must be brought to the church leadership for discipline. This discipline may include expulsion from the church should the person fail to comply with the church leadership. This doesn’t mean that the person cannot come back to the church; but that they can, should they follow the directives given by the church leadership. Remember, church discipline is always about restoring. It is up to the person being disciplined to comply with the standards God has given in order to be restored to fellowship.

It is always good to be proactive so there is less chance of a wolf to gain power within church leadership. One way is to be diligent to follow 1 Timothy 3 when choosing elders and deacons. This will minimize the possibility of selecting wolves in leadership. The pastor or search committee must ask good questions of the elder or deacon candidate. This includes asking the person if they agree with the vision of the church and support the pastor. If they don’t, DO NOT ENTERTAIN HIS/HER NAME TO STAND FOR LEADERSHIP. They will cause problems.

Here are a few vital questions to ask of a elder/deacon candidate.

1. How frequently have you been reading your Bible in the past four months?
2. How frequently have you been praying to God in the past four months?
3. In your prayer times have you been praying for the church and it’s pastor?
4. How have you been helping to fulfill the vision God has given this church?
5. What has God been teaching you in the last week? Month? Year?

If the elder/deacon candidate cannot answer these questions to the degree expected for the church leadership, then do not entertain the person for church leadership. They will cause problems in the church, because they are not hearing God’s voice for the clear direction needed to be a part of church leadership.

Let us be diligent in the work God has called us as leaders, to lead the church in His direction, while protecting the flock from ferocious wolves.
everything you wrote is really good, but in the last paragraph with questions to ask........what makes you think a wolf wouldn't lie and say exactly what he or she thinks you want to hear.......I guess my perception of a wolf in sheeps clothing was always an agent of satan impostering as a sheep,sent to destroy a church or a body of believers not just a wayward Christian, with his or her own agenda, and a problem with gossip and authority

Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
OK, I'll give another example of wolves, due to something sent to me.

A wolf is like someone in the 16th century, a church leader, who hunted down and killed Christians for owning a bible and having a home study group. These bible carrying home churchers were killed on the basis that they were wolves. The wolves call true Christians wolves for disagreeing. One of the best ways to spot of wolf is, to see who is crying wolf -- but then the final test is always doctrine. Does what is teached change the concept of Christ and salvation? The true purpose of eliminating bibles and home study groups was to do just that, to change the core beliefs of Christianity.

However, when people are crying wolf, without the core basis of Christianity involved -- these are just selfish and immature Christians, full of envy, and always looking for ways to condemn those who disagree with them. These people fixated on false prophets are still true Christians, but they just need the right time and circumstances in order to be able to see the truth when confronted with it.

I noted in an above post that the apostle Paul waited for the right time to confront the immature Christian with the truth. Not having the right time accomplishes nothing. That is why I said before I was done. With the immature, timing is everything. With a wolf, time is of the essence.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the last 3 years I have been forced into relative seclusion and isolation with my now 'former' church... the only church I joined as a member since becoming a Christian in my teens. As I read the list of characteristics of 'wolves' I admit that I can relate from time to time to some of them.

About 3 years ago this Calvary Chapel church adopted a 'boot camp' approach to the flock. This seemed to coincide with an incidence of being publicly rebuked by the senior pastor at the start of the Wednesday night service. He had come by to shake my hand and my guest's hand... an elderly man about to be evicted from his apartment. I saw an odd look in this senior pastor's eyes... one that I now think was 'lust.' The open rebuke he made while staring directly at me was in the form of a question. He said "Are you a blasphemer?" with a huge smile on his face. I was mortified and quickly retreated into isolation watching live services online.

There have been a couple other rebukes done in the sanctuary to me whenever I have tried to return... which is never for very long. This church also uses its advanced fiber optic technology to make its rebukes long distance.

I have NEVER had one single elder or pastor talk with me directly about any issue... just rebukes like... Are you a blasphemer/We don't want bad sheep/Don't come back until we call you. The remarks done online (and usually edited from replay) are too many to post.

This pastor's daily email today was about wolves in sheep's clothing. But I wonder exactly who is the wolf in this situation. Those eyes I referred to earlier... those eyes could have been like those of a wolf AND he wanted to put me in isolation to have me for his dinner. In some ways I have been in spiritual bondage to this church, but they don't want me to come around anymore.

What made all of this true tale the more unbelievable is that this all started AFTER I made a $19,000 contribution to this church's new campus fund. I gave tithes and offerings faithfully for year, but I won't give to local churches anymore. j4given
Mathew 6:1-4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say there are wolves in sheeps clothing, and there are sheep that act like wolves, and the two are quite different, I would say every church has some wayward Christians that need biblical teaching on such things as gossip and slander, this would not necessarly make them wolves, just not well discipled. A wolf as described in the bible is not a sheep, its a whole different animal.

Upvote 0

gasman64

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
✟8,191.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It amazes me how things get taken out of context. Wolves were false prophets. Not general people, but leaders. Paul made it even clearer.

Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

Paul was talking about leaders and ministry coming in and preaching their own message. At the time he was also contending with Apollos, who had been sent out from Jerusalem by James the just to undermine his ministry to the gentiles.

It was always referring to leadership. The list you went through is just the carnal nature of man.

This is no different from preachers preaching on the 3rd chapter of Malachi demanding people pay their tithes and not robbing God and him rebuking the devourer when it says clearly in chapter 2:1 that he is talking to his priests who have robbed the tithe. Not people being robbers who haven't tithed

What sort of people do you call them? Are they any less a wolf? They are certainly thieves.

I guess it has more to do how you rationalise things with people you are angry with at the time.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

gasman64 said:
It amazes me how things get taken out of context. Wolves were false prophets. Not general people, but leaders. Paul made it even clearer.

Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

Paul was talking about leaders and ministry coming in and preaching their own message. At the time he was also contending with Apollos, who had been sent out from Jerusalem by James the just to undermine his ministry to the gentiles.

It was always referring to leadership. The list you went through is just the carnal nature of man.

This is no different from preachers preaching on the 3rd chapter of Malachi demanding people pay their tithes and not robbing God and him rebuking the devourer when it says clearly in chapter 2:1 that he is talking to his priests who have robbed the tithe. Not people being robbers who haven't tithed

What sort of people do you call them? Are they any less a wolf? They are certainly thieves.

I guess it has more to do how you rationalise things with people you are angry with at the time.

Great point!

But I think that it is still very applicable to anyone. Not just Leaders. Anyone that comes in to change the purpose, vision and will of God for the sole purpose to scatter the flock and shame the Lord. Many wolves do so by bringing in their form of doctrine, strife, division etc.

I personally don't see that as taking it of context but rather seeing the Word of God can apply to various situations.

~For Your glory Lord {iPad}

Upvote 0

gasman64

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
✟8,191.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Great point!

But I think that it is still very applicable to anyone. Not just Leaders. Anyone that comes in to change the purpose, vision and will of God for the sole purpose to scatter the flock and shame the Lord. Many wolves do so by bringing in their form of doctrine, strife, division etc.

I personally don't see that as taking it of context but rather seeing the Word of God can apply to various situations.

~For Your glory Lord {iPad}

Obviously people can be wolves. Jesus said so. But that wasn't the scripture that he used. I was answering to that.

Upvote 0

Christian12

Apr 16, 2012
✟228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A thought I have is that the wolves are pretenders to be something that they cannot be .
Their purpose is to destroy , looking like sheep is so they can get close enough for the Kill so to speak . As sheep we need to see the red flags and not allow them to get close , they will do damage . They are agents of the devil . I think that often peoples carnality can be mistaken for a wolf , a real wolf will due a lot of damage in the spiritual sense.
I can only say I met 1,and it really was very dangerous , and wolf was a just discription .
They are not to be taken lightly , but I think some people are mistaken for wolves and are not at all , they just are carnal , or in disagreement , or just negative etc.

A real wolf will attack you unexpected , they will spring on you when you are not looking for it , they mean to destroy you . If you encounter one you will surely know it .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

episkopos

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
✟8,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Pastor, thank you so much for exposing this truth about enemies within the Church of God, and amongst God’s people. Many pastors do not realize that their ministries are being destroyed from within by people who claim to be loyal to them but indeed, are actually fighting against the pastor and the kingdom of God. I totally agree with you, that we must recognize the signs of wolves in our congregation and disloyal members, who aim to destroy the ministry. In addition to the traits that you have already listed, I would like to share from [bless and do not curse]Leaders and Loyalty on the outward signs of a disloyal spirit. Hopefully, this will help other pastors to detect disloyalty in members and leaders and quench it before it destroys everything.
1. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Disobedience
2. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Scorning
3. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Inflexibility
4. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Lies
5. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Tale-bearing
6. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Rudeness

A person exhibiting such signs has been sent by Satan to destroy the house of God.[bless and do not curse]
Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out;
yea, strife and reproach shall cease.
Proverbs 22:10
The biblical remedy for dealing with scoffers is to cast
them out! In modern English, to cast out means to throw away, to dismiss, to expel, to eject, to banish, to fire, to sack,
to discard, to unseat or to lay off. I believe that almost anyone
can understand the meaning of “casting out”.
The Bible teaches us to cast out scornful people. A mocker
is disloyal to your cause. The biblical treatment for such
people is expulsion. Whenever you realize that someone is
mocking at you, please do not hesitate to expel him from your
life.
Sometimes, failure to dismiss people is like failing to do
a surgery that will save your life. I have used this method
for treating disloyalty. It was indeed painful, but a new spirit
of loyalty entered the church. What a fresh breath of life we
all experienced.
When you fail to dismiss someone who must go, you are
exhibiting weak leadership. You are allowing a snake to live
under your children’s bed. Please do not cry if your children
are bitten and they die.

Upvote 0

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In addition to the traits that you have already listed, I would like to share from [bless and do not curse]Leaders and Loyalty on the outward signs of a disloyal spirit. Hopefully, this will help other pastors to detect disloyalty in members and leaders and quench it before it destroys everything.

1. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Disobedience
2. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Scorning
3. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Inflexibility
4. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Lies
5. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Tale-bearing
6. [bless and do not curse] [bless and do not curse]Rudeness

Without some kind of context or example here, I'd say this teaching is extremely dangerous. I'm always suspicious when people talk about loyalty to pastors, because I've seen it abused so many times.

I don't discourage loyalty to pastor in itself, but I do know from personal experience many situations where pastors' teachings are NOT consistent with what Jesus taught, and yet they still demand loyalty to themselves BECAUSE they are the "pastor".

It may be that some people feel there does not need to be any explanation when it comes to the title of "pastor"; that everyone assumes everyone else has the same understanding when it comes to this title.

But reality shows that not all people who take on the title of pastor are the same. Many of them teach very different doctrines.

The very nature of "wolves in sheeps clothing" suggests that these wolves appear to be sheep. In other words, they say things which sound very much like what a Christian would normally say. They look and sound like sheep.

It's much like what the revelation says about how the false prophet will have the horns of a lamb but speak with mouth of a dragon.

It is also much like what Jesus said when he asked "why do you call me "lord" but do not obey me"?

Which is also very similar to the situation Jesus described in which people will say "Lord, we've done so many good things in your name" and Jesus responds "I never knew you".

These people believe they were Christians acting on behalf of Jesus, and yet Jesus still had a problem with them. It's not their works that were the problem, but that they were doing the wrong works; otherwise Jesus would not have made an issue of obedience being a key issue.

When it comes to Jesus' teachings today, many Christians will argue that Jesus didn't really mean what he said. For example, Jesus' teachings forbidding the use of special titles in Matthew 23. He said "call no man on earth father, Mr. Sir" etc...

And yet, when it comes to respectablilty and keeping their jobs, most Christians will not hesitate to break this rule.

Also, Jesus said that we must forsake all personal ownership, sharing all things in common, and work for love as opposed to working for money.

Most Christians will reject these teachings outright as fanatical, misunderstood or just plain silly.

Yet, these same people will still claim to be Christian while teaching others that it is foolish to think we can or even should try to live the way Jesus and his disciples lived.

This is the real wolves in sheeps clothing. People who appear to be sheep, but teach that it is foolish to obey Jesus.

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It amazes me how things get taken out of context. Wolves were false prophets. Not general people, but leaders. ......It was always referring to leadership. The list you went through is just the carnal nature of man.
:thumbsup: Reading through the list made me think that these must be the excuses that preachers who get criticized for bad preaching and/or teaching false doctrines.

church member: "I don't feel comfortable with how you preached on this particular bible passage.."
Pastor *points finger* "wolf, wolf! You must be full of pride to dare to challenge my authority and question how I approach my preaching...."

Upvote 0

gasman64

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
✟8,191.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup: Reading through the list made me think that these must be the excuses that preachers who get criticized for bad preaching and/or teaching false doctrines.

church member: "I don't feel comfortable with how you preached on this particular bible passage.."
Pastor *points finger* "wolf, wolf! You must be full of pride to dare to challenge my authority and question how I approach my preaching...."

I know. Isn't that always the case Joey? I've seen it so many times. Don't question authority because "touch not mine anointed" Where people think they are little David's. I had my pastor say to me once, "I don't answer to you, I answer to other leadership". Can you believe that? When the scriptures always speak of accountability of all. The entire purpose of the 5 fold ministry is to bring the people to perfection (should read as 'maturity or fully formed') so that the people can do the work of the ministry. To try to do themselves "out" of a job. Not to hold onto it like a life raft for their dear lives. When people try to use your substance for their own benefit, then they are a wolf. When they misrepresent the nature of Christ to get you to do what they want, then they are a wolf. When they hold back or try to pervert your giftings and potential, they are a wolf.
It is the calling and responsibility of every christian to individually take leadership in their own lives, for what they study, what they choose to serve and who they follow. If they go in a contrary way, then leave. Blind loyalty will lead you down a cliff. When things get tough you see who's really there for you.
I now follow no man, but I follow Jesus Christ. I search out what I study and believe and now teach it myself. I will never be again at the mercy of unreasonable men. Some of you need to still be discipled, so follow those who love you, who feed you spiritually and physically regularly. (hospitality).
But don't surrender your integrity and you questioning. A questioning heart will ask the difficult questions and will be chastised as a son. An accepting heart will find nothing except what is on his or her plate and has no power over what is placed on it. That person will never be a good leader.

Upvote 0