Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Essentially, after studying the Scriptures I have concluded that there must be some type of celestial object that has a near-Earth encounter. I don't know what exactly it is, whether a brown dwarf star or an asteroid, but it simply must happen. Here's why:

"11And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven." Lu. 21:11

The word for fearful sights is phobetron, #5400, 1) that which strikes terror, a terror, (cause of) fright. Basically what Christ is saying is that there's going to be a "terror" from the heavens. The only thing I believe that Jesus Christ could possibly be referring to is some type of celestial object.

In addition, we have the prophecy in the book of Revelation about 1/3 of the day/night being struck. It goes as follows:

"12And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise." Rev. 8:12

This verse describes, again in my opinion, the literal shortening of the 24-hour day down to 16 hours. This could possibly be caused by a close encounter with a celestial object big enough to change the earth's rotational period through gravity (although I haven't actually studied this out a whole lot). Or, God could cause it to happen through another means - regardless, the day is shortened. Jesus Christ refers to it here:

"22And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened." Mt. 24:22

Shortened, #2856, koloboo,
1) to mutilate
2) in NT: to shorten, abridge, curtail

Again, it is my opinion that Jesus Christ is referring to the 4th trumpet in Revelation, and that the days here are literally shortened down to 16 hours.

In summary, I think that there is no question that the verse in Lu. 21:11, where Christ describes "fearful sights" (terrors) from heaven, is absolutely talking about a celestial object.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,407,076.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have read where the tsunami of 2004, the Haiti and Chilean earthquakes shaved significant amounts of time from a day. I also read where after the tsunami, and earthquake, the earth rang like a bell. Since we seem to be having more and more strong earthquakes, it is certain that more time will be lost and our days will be shortened. At least this is my opinion and I am not dogmatic about it.

I have heard and read a little about this so called planet x or Niburu. If this is true and we have an object in the sky that is close enough to cause significant perturbations on the earth and the moon, then of course our day can be shortened significantly imho.

My son and I were discussing this very thing a few weeks ago. One third of the day and one third of the night could mean that an object could block the light from the moon and sun for about eight hours(4 hrs of the last half of night and 4 hours of the first part of the day) based on a twenty four hour day. We could be wrong, but it makes sense to me. Maybe something else will also make sense later on, but for now...;);)

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,288.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have read where the tsunami of 2004, the Haiti and Chilean earthquakes shaved significant amounts of time from a day. I also read where after the tsunami, and earthquake, the earth rang like a bell. Since we seem to be having more and more strong earthquakes, it is certain that more time will be lost and our days will be shortened. At least this is my opinion and I am not dogmatic about it.
...snip...

Yes it shortened the day, by about 1.26 millionths of a second, I'm not sure I'd call that significant though.
Their are 86164.1 seconds in a Sidereal Day (23 Hours 59 minutes 4.1 Seconds)
That's 86164100000 Milliseconds before,
86164099999.6 Milliseconds After.
For a change of around 0.0000000014623% (Not really that significant :) )

NASA: Chile Earthquake Shifts Earth's Axis, Shortens Day - TIME

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
So the earth's rotation is going to be sped up dramatically, eh?

Obviously, in order to have a 16-hour day the rotation would have to be sped up dramatically.

My son and I were discussing this very thing a few weeks ago. One third of the day and one third of the night could mean that an object could block the light from the moon and sun for about eight hours(4 hrs of the last half of night and 4 hours of the first part of the day) based on a twenty four hour day. We could be wrong, but it makes sense to me. Maybe something else will also make sense later on, but for now...;);)

This is impossible because it would not affect the entire earth - only a portion of the earth. The plague in the book of Revelation is global. Personally, I think the only possibility is that the day is shortened by 1/3, which means we have a 16-hour day. And, I think that the only way this could happen is by an encounter with a near-Earth object (of a pretty good size). This may be what Christ is saying when he refers to a "terror" from the heavens.

Regardless, we are going to have a celestial object (asteroid, probably) smack into the earth:

"8And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;" Rev. 8:8

Verse 9 also shows that 1/3 of the ships are destroyed by this great mountain burning with fire - which can only be an asteroid.

There are really only 2 possibilities (in my view) of where this asteroid could impact - the Pacific and the N. Atlantic. Because I view the U.N. as the seat of the beast, and the U.N. is in downtown NYC, the asteroid could not impact in the N. Atlantic and instead would have to impact in the Pacific. But that's only my opinion.

Upvote 0

andross77

Sep 12, 2006
✟17,696.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes it shortened the day, by about 1.26 millionths of a second, I'm not sure I'd call that significant though.
Their are 86164.1 seconds in a Sidereal Day (23 Hours 59 minutes 4.1 Seconds)
That's 86164100000 Milliseconds before,
86164099999.6 Milliseconds After.
For a change of around 0.0000000014623% (Not really that significant :) )

NASA: Chile Earthquake Shifts Earth's Axis, Shortens Day - TIME

that's called bringing reality and perspective to "heresay" :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

oneofchrists

Give Me Stength Lord
Sep 9, 2009
Intervale, New Brunswick Canada
✟8,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Forgive Me for not being very scientific but............I always thought that the intensity of the sun and moon would be 1/3 less than normal not cutting a day by eight hours....Still a 24hr day but less moon light and less sunlight by a third????Ok give it to Me........God bless all of You .......Dave

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Forgive Me for not being very scientific but............I always thought that the intensity of the sun and moon would be 1/3 less than normal not cutting a day by eight hours....Still a 24hr day but less moon light and less sunlight by a third????Ok give it to Me........God bless all of You .......Dave

No it's ok. Take a closer look at the verses:

" 12And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise." Rev. 8:12

The day shines not for the third part of it and the night likewise - that's why I'm saying that the day is shortened down to 16 hours (1/3 of the day is 4 hours, 1/3 of the night is 4 hours).

When it says 1/3 of the sun/moon/stars is smitten/darkened, what it's referring to is the fact that they're not shining for 1/3 of their time.

God is not incapable of causing this to happen, and it is my personal belief that it will happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

B1inHim

LOVE one another
Nov 27, 2004
Cucamonga, Ca
✟10,781.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Back in the 60` a day was a lot longer then they are today.

On the summer days they seemed to last forever.

BUT since the electronic revolution that began back in the 80` our days have gotten shorter and shorter in perspective.

Now we barely have enough time to do hardly anything in one day.

WE are cramming in so much knowledge per day that the day just FLIES by.

Now I AGREE that GOD COULD shorten the day to 16 hrs. That would be no problem.
HOWEVER, speeding up the rotation of the planet would be so dramatic that He would have to completely restructure our entire universe.

HUH?

I personally seek the Truth by looking for the most obvious answer.

This is the obvious... God is the Author of creation and natural consequences.
He caused the Nile to be polluted which in turn brought about each and every plague that ensued thereafter.

We are told that knowledge would increase in these last days and the NATURAL consequences of this expansion can very likely be the reason for the "shortened days".

Metaphorically instead of literally.

Just a thought.

**** here is something for our personal edification****
The central duty of husbands is to love their wives. Most men who know the Bible intellectually know this.
Yet, the model of love’s application is staggeringly high in practical demonstration.
A husband’s love for his wife should mirror the perfect, selfless model of Jesus Christ. In His boundless love for the church, He willingly suffered to the uttermost to save the church from ruin.
http://focusmagazine.org/

Love,
Brother Jerry

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
No. I'm implying that all life would perish instantly off the planet.

No it wouldn't. The effects are really impossible for anyone to know, because it's never happened. And, by the way, there are mass extinctions of plant and wildlife in the book of Revelation, along with massive storms/earthquakes. Ever wonder what causes those?

Now I AGREE that GOD COULD shorten the day to 16 hrs. That would be no problem.
HOWEVER, speeding up the rotation of the planet would be so dramatic that He would have to completely restructure our entire universe.

Nope, he wouldn't. The Earth's rotation could be very easily sped up (by God), and the only effects would be on the Earth itself, not the Universe.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Would anyone like to address the verses I posted in the OP more specifically? I'll quote them again - it is certain that there is some celestial object that strikes the earth (or maybe even two - one that strikes the earth and another that has a near-miss). Here are the verses again:

"8And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;" Rev. 8:8

This, in my opinion, is a description of an asteroid striking the ocean. And finally:

"11And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. " Lu. 21:11

Fearful sights, #5400, phobetron, 1) that which strikes terror, a terror, (cause of) fright.

These verses clearly indicate something coming from the heavens.

Upvote 0

LovedofHim

Jan 6, 2011
Up here, over there, beyond that
✟1,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would anyone like to address the verses I posted in the OP more specifically? I'll quote them again - it is certain that there is some celestial object that strikes the earth (or maybe even two - one that strikes the earth and another that has a near-miss). Here are the verses again:

This, in my opinion, is a description of an asteroid striking the ocean. And finally:

"11And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. " Lu. 21:11

Fearful sights, #5400, phobetron, 1) that which strikes terror, a terror, (cause of) fright.

These verses clearly indicate something coming from the heavens.

Yes, you are correct. There will be celestial events that will cause the earth to reel.

Isa 24:20The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.

Yes, it does appear to be asteroids/meteors. It looks like, too, that it all begins with a massive earthquake (or perhaps massive volcanic eruption).

I saw a show once about algae blooms as well as lakes that turn red with iron (like blood) because of the iron core center of the earth leaking out.

Given the fact that the iron core has to do with gravitational pull/spinning of the earth, I'd say there's something up with that iron core in the end. Maybe it has something to do with the magnetic reversal that's going on...I don't know.

If the magnetic polar reversal causes something to go amiss with the earth's iron core, causing volcanos to erupt and massive earthquakes to occur, that could cause the earth to reel and put the earth into the path of an asteroid belt or meteor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LovedofHim

Jan 6, 2011
✟1,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No offense, but you really don't know much about Physics do you?

"No offense, but you really don't know much" about what causes offense in others.

Instead of insulting the guy, why not point out what you know with references?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,288.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

LovedofHim

Jan 6, 2011
✟1,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do we take that as a Yes?

A "yes" to what? No human being knows everything about everything. It serves no purpose but to tear down a person to say, "no offense, but you don't know much...". That is not of God.

I think this is a great thread and shows the OP is using his thinking cap!

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,288.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A "yes" to what? No human being knows everything about everything. It serves no purpose but to tear down a person to say, "no offense, but you don't know much...". That is not of God.

I think this is a great thread and shows the OP is using his thinking cap!

A yes to the question that was quoted. :sigh:
Do you or do you not know a lot about Physics?

Upvote 0