Shout for Joy, O Daughter Zion!

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Prophet Zephaniah 3:14-20 speaks of the Daughter of Zion, the personification of the city of Jerusalem. Let us reflect on the significance of this title of the holy city of Jerusalem and see how and why the Church appropriated the title for Mary, Mother of the Lord.

Daughter of Zion is the personification of the city of Jerusalem. Zion was the name of the Jebusite citadel that later became the City of David. In the many texts of the Old Testament that speak of the Daughter of Zion, there is no real distinction to be made between a daughter of Zion and the city of Jerusalem itself.

In the Old Testament, the title Virgin of Israel is the same as the Daughter of Zion. The image of the bride of the Lord is found in Hosea, Chapters 1-3: It reflects the infidelity of the people to their God.

Jeremiah 3:3-4 speaks of prostitution and the infidelity of the bride. Virginity in the Old Testament is fidelity to the Covenant. In 2 Corinthians 11:2, Paul speaks of the Church as a pure virgin. Here, virginity is the purity of faith.

Throughout the Old Testament, it is in Zion-Jerusalem that God shall gather together all of his people. In Isaiah 35:10, the tribes of Israel shall gather in Zion. In Ezekiel 22:17-22, the prophet describes God’s purification of his people that shall take place “within” the walls of the city, in the midst of Jerusalem.

The Hebrew word used to describe this inner section of the city is “beqervah,” a word formed from the root “qerev” meaning something deep, intimate, situated deep within a person. It also means the maternal womb, the intestines, the breast, the insides of a person, the most secret area of one’s soul where wisdom, spirit, malice and the Law of the Lord dwell. Therefore, the city of Jerusalem has a definite maternal function in the history of salvation.

In the Christian Tradition

The Second Vatican Council formally called Mary “Daughter of Zion” in the dogmatic constitution on the Church “Lumen Gentium” (No. 52). The Church’s appropriation of this title for the Mother of the Lord has a rich Scriptural foundation. Mary illustrates the prophecies of the Old Testament that ascribed value to the eschatological role of woman as mother both of the Messiah and of the new people of God.

The title Daughter of Zion evokes the great biblical symbolism of the Messianic Zion. Mary illustrates the prophecies of the Hebrew Scriptures which ascribed value to the eschatological role of woman as mother both of the Messiah and of the new people of God: the individual person and the whole people being very closely united, in line with the cultural structures of Israel.

For the prophets, the Daughter of Zion was the spouse of the Lord when she observed the covenant. Mary’s role as Daughter of Zion, or for that matter any of her roles in the life of God’s people, can never be understood independently of Christ and of the Spirit, which he bestows upon all humanity in dying on the cross.

“Lumen Gentium” says that all theology and Marian piety belong to the mystery of Christ and to the mystery of the Church.

Mary, Daughter of Zion, is the archetype of the Church as Bride, Virgin and Mother. It is not only biological virginity, but also spiritual virginity, which means fidelity to the Scriptures, openness toward others, and purity in faith.

Mary’s words to the servants at the wedding banquet in Cana (John 2:1-12) are an invitation to all peoples to become part of the new people of God. Mary is the new “Daughter of Zion” because she has invited the servants to perfectly obey Jesus the Lord. At Cana this new Daughter of Zion has given voice to all people.

Both at Cana and at Calvary (in John’s Gospel), Mary represents not only her maternity and physical relationship with her son, but also her highly symbolic role of Woman and Mother of God’s people. At Calvary, more than any other place in the fourth Gospel, Mary is “Mother Zion”: her spiritual maternity begins at the foot of the cross.

As “Mother Zion,” she not only welcomes and represents Israel, but the Church, the People of God of the New Covenant. At the foot of the cross, Mary is the mother of the new messianic people, of all of those who are one in Christ.

She who bore Jesus in her womb now takes her place in the assembly of God’s holy people. She is the new Jerusalem: In her own womb was the Temple, and all peoples shall be gathered back to the Temple, which is her Son. The Mother of Jesus is indeed the Mother of all of God’s scattered children. She is Mother of the Church. Mary is the first Daughter of Zion, leading all of God’s people on the journey toward the Kingdom.

Read more here

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Plus, Mary is just awesome!

immaculate-heart-of-mary1.jpg

Upvote 0

IT REALLY SAYS

Aug 9, 2017
florida
✟18,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think even Christians who didn't grow up in Traditions where praying to or venerating Mary was ever done can admit a respect and admiration of her. She is truly unique, and blessed.
Which mary are you speaking of the biblical or catholic one?
there is a vast difference between the two.... there's really not much said about her in one and in the other she is all in all. One she is blessed amongst women and in the other she takes on Christ's titles..... the rcc has added much to the word of God. The reason there isnt much on mary by matt mark luke john is because it isnt about her...... then many years later over vast sums of time, the rcc mary has grown into what she is today.....

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which mary are you speaking of the biblical or catholic one?
there is a vast difference between the two.... there's really not much said about her in one and in the other she is all in all. One she is blessed amongst women and in the other she takes on Christ's titles..... the rcc has added much to the word of God. The reason there isnt much on mary by matt mark luke john is because it isnt about her...... then many years later over vast sums of time, the rcc mary has grown into what she is today.....

But according to archeological evidence, Marian veneration in the form of petitions to her and songs honoring her pre-dates Nicea.

Sub Tuum Praesidium, the Earliest Prayer To She Whose Offspring is God

I see why you might say what you do; I used to feel the same way. I would look at Catholic titles of Mary and kind of laugh on the inside and think "how in the heck did they get this from this?!" I just couldn't put it together. It all sounded silly and unnecessary to me. So I ignored it. And I ignored her. May God forgive me for my stupidity, and pride. Because that is precisely what it was. I had a very "me and Jesus and my Bible are smarter than the whole of Christendom for two millenium" attitude. Ugh.

Marian veneration, though, is so, so, so much older than Luther, Calvin, Menno Simons, King Henry VIII, or Elizabeth I. Or you, or me. Embracing Catholic Tradition about Mary takes a lot of trust, a lot of ego-deterioration, and a lot of prayer. A very kind, very patient Orthodox poster helped me very much; she suggested that I just begin with the Angelic Salutation; Hail, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee.

That is one thing that is so, so, so, so cool about the Catholic Church, though. It covers everything from the the Annunciation to before the Annunciation, to the time from beyond Acts, and everything in between, right up to the present.

Last edited:
Upvote 0