Should Women be Allowed to Pastor Churches?

Should women be allowed to pastor churches?

• Yes

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 53.3%

• Total voters

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My opinion is no, according to Scriptures. In any other position, I would think otherwise.

e.g. A woman can teach children and other women. A woman can be an assistant.

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yeah, your view is according to scripture. the rest of us just pick our beliefs at random.

It's a poll. I accept people who have a different view on this matter than I do. I am pretty much a fundamentalist in these manners so expect some seriously conservative interpretations.

The Real Reason Why God Prohibits Women Pastors

One of the articles that I am reading currently: It displays the family as God designed it to be. Likewise, the church is described as a family. Women are not to teach men in spiritual manners.

This is my view and you are entitled to think differently.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I found this helped me understand the Scripture regarding that verse a bit clearer. Jon is an incredible man with a lot of Godly wisdom.

I see a more critical slant on his interpretations of Bible Scripture and while I don't agree with his position, I respect his opinion on the matter. Being a Bible literalist makes me take things... literally.

Reactions: NW82
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I found this helped me understand the Scripture regarding that verse a bit clearer. Jon is an incredible man with a lot of Godly wisdom.

Unfortunately, he gives a lot of his own opinion but not much spiritual backing for his view and does not even wrestle with the applicable texts in question. Not much substance.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My mistake. I thought you were doing a poll with conversation.

I was making a poll to see what people thought of the matter. I hold to conservative/liberal Biblical interpretation so I reject most of what critical Biblical scholars say.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, he gives a lot of his own opinion but not much spiritual backing for his view and does not even wrestle with the applicable texts in question. Not much substance.

'Girrrllllll' - Right in the beginning of the video. (Dramatic shudder. :eek:)

I don't know why but he reminds me of an SJW.

• Agree
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's really, really scary when people get their spiritual guidance from random people on YouTube.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's really, really scary when people get their spiritual guidance from random people on YouTube.

It is also really, really scary when churches deviate from God's Word and start to accrue unto themselves teachers to tickle peoples' ears.

Spiritual roles for men:

Family leaders, Church pastors, Biblical counselors

Spiritual roles for women:

Spiritual leaders for children, leaders of women's ministry (female only), mothers

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
“About women becoming pastors. I totally agree with you. But there is one more area that has not been really looked at by many of those who are not for women being pastors. And the area is in Ephesians chapter 5 about marriage. Marriage has to do with the Church being the Bride and Christ being the Groom. You see every Sunday when I go to church I see the picture of Jesus the Groom and the Church the Bride. Someday there will be a wedding in heaven and Christ will be the Groom with his Church and there will be a wonderful union between the two. Here’s my point: The Pastor who is to be a man or male, he represents Christ the Groom, and the congregation represents the Bride, the woman. Every Sunday God allows his church to see this future event that will take place soon. But if we allow a Woman to stand in Church as Pastor, and stand before the congregation who represents the Bride, the woman. What do we have? SAME SEX MARRIAGE, AN ABOMINATION BEFORE GOD. Thanks for allowing me to share.” - Radford Rabe.

Reactions: Innerfire89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wrong question.

Women are pastors (ministers, clergy, priests, take your pick of title). We are so with the full support and agreement of our churches.

So if you think it shouldn't be "allowed," does that mean you think you have the right to overrule those churches in our own governance?

If you don't want a woman pastor, don't worship under one. But the days when it was within anyone's remit to "allow" us or not are past.

Oh, and welcome, @Ilana Rosen! Always good to see another sister in ministry in the forums. :)

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This is disallowed in the Coptic Orthodox Church, with solid scriptural backing. HG Bishop Youssef of the Southern United States diocese explains it in the following fashion:

Not only were many women noted in the ministry of Christ, but also as modeled by his Master, Jesus Christ, St. Paul's ministry also included the contributions of many significant women. Women have the right to teach and instruct, but not in the ecclesiastical role of the clergy or deacons, which include the services of the Divine Liturgies. Although St. Paul often exchanged identifying the husband and wife team of Priscilla and Aquila, or Aquila and Priscilla, a couple who often accompanied him in his travels and throughout his ministry, when they instructed the preacher Apollos on baptism and receiving the Holy Spirit, here, St. Paul mentions Aquila first, while at other times Priscilla would be mentioned first because of her extremely active role. "When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately" (Act 18:26). This deliberate notation is the correct protocol. Thus, they fulfilled their specific roles as laymen and women. Following this incident in the Holy Book of Acts 19:1-10, St. Paul administers the ecclesiastical rite through his bishopric apostleship by laying his hands upon those who having been baptized, had not yet received the Holy Spirit. Therefore, the message is clear, women may teach anyone who is need of learning about God. Spiritual nourishment is just as important as physical nourishment. When someone is hungry and thirsty for the knowledge of God, man, woman, and child are all called to respond and support them in their spiritual weaknesses and needs. However, when it comes to the ecclesiastical roles, these are exclusive to men, who are specifically appointed for these roles. Thus, Aquila did not have the authority of the priesthood to administer the Sacrament of Confirmation, but left this to the apostle Paul. The Holy Sacrament of the Priesthood was established by Christ Himself and enforced by all of His disciples and apostles. Inclusive in the Sacrament of the Priesthood are the ranks of deacons, who have other specific tasks and responsibilities. Therefore, women may teach in the classroom or even in a church building, but NOT during any ecclesiastical service or the Divine Liturgies, other than being members of the congregation.​

+++

A great deal of respect is given to women in our Church, as is borne out even in the modern day with great figures like Tamav Irini, the recently departed (d. 2006) abbess of Abu Seifein convent in Old Cairo, whose biography and many sayings and miracles are famous and greatly cherished by the Coptic Orthodox people. And she is not alone in that respect, as the examples of the Desert Mothers and other saints like St. Demiana, St. Marina, etc. all show.

Everyone and everything in the Church has its proper place, and it's not for anyone to change how things are done for the sake of seeming progressive or modern when we are not a modern church to begin with. Others can have that, in accordance with whatever they follow. God has established His Church in Egypt as surely as anywhere, not men or women in post-Christian societies like in the West, with whatever desires they may have at any particular point in their move to or away from certain fashions of thought. The Church is above all that, thanks be to Christ our God Who is its chief cornerstone.

Upvote 0