Should we listen or learn from Christians who are millionaires?

Should we take advice from Christians who are millionaires?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like talking to a wall...you cannot reason that it is the LOVE of money and not money. There are many, many reasons to save and provide for your family, relatives, loved ones, the poor at later dates and in various methods...not to mention having a concern for future needs of body of Christ. I could go on, but did that.

I can say the same to you. You do not seem to understand that the accumulation of a thing is the love of that thing. A person does not collect comics and watch comic book movies and say they hate comics. A person amasses great wealth because hey love that wealth and not because they hate it. You are trying to make a contradiction work and that never ends well.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Money indeed does put pressure on a person to focus on the ways of the world and lose sight of loving neighbours as self, but it does not prevent them from doing so.

While a person can love their neighbor to an extent, they are not loving fully their neighbor like they should if they are hoarding a million dollars in the bank. Such money could be used to help those who are in need instead of that person just wanting to hold on to all that money for themselves and their own peace of mind.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That particular passage is best rendered "pursuit" of or eager to get rich as some versions put it.

All versions refer to a person who is already rich.
All versions say that we are to flee these things.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While I disagree with his take on his OT comments in regards to being rich, I do find his teaching on those NT verses on riches very insightful. He makes a great case of how a Christian cannot be rich and also serve God.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While a person can love their neighbor to an extent, they are not loving fully their neighbor like they should if they are hoarding a million dollars in the bank.
Consider those who held the money of those of the Way. Did they not hoard in order to dole out according to needs? Or did they spread it around as soon as it came in?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Consider those who held the money of those of the Way. Did they not hoard in order to dole out according to needs? Or did they spread it around as soon as it came in?

No. Hoarding is when you hold on the money for yourself. They collected the money for a short time with the intention of spreading things out so that all things could be equal amongst the body of Christ; And they did spread that money around and they did not hold on to it.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They collected the money for a short time with the intention of spreading things out so that all things could be equal amongst the body of Christ; And they did spread that money around and they did not hold on to it.
Could not someone wealthy not have or come to have the same intentions?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Could not someone wealthy not have or come to have the same intentions?

Not according to the Bible. Granted, a rich person can repent of their wealth and riches by seeking forgiveness with the Lord over it and by giving up their riches so as to properly give as the Lord wants them to. God does not need our wealth, he wants our hearts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,632.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is saying that God can change a person's heart so that they no longer want to be rich but they want to simply follow Jesus and obey Him (Which is contrary to their lustful nature to desire living for themselves selfishly).
You are to "settle down and earn your own food" you are to have something to share, make provisions for your immediate family, relatives, give to the poor. Have an eye for the future needs of all these people as well as those of the family of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are to "settle down and earn your own food" you are to have something to share, make provisions for your immediate family, relatives, give to the poor. Have an eye for the future needs of all these people as well as those of the family of God.

This is not possible for a Christian millionaire to do these things in the way God desires them to do it. For they are keeping back a large portion of money needlessly for themselves out of their own selfishness.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,632.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can say the same to you. You do not seem to understand that the accumulation of a thing is the love of that thing. A person does not collect comics and watch comic book movies and say they hate comics. A person amasses great wealth because hey love that wealth and not because they hate it. You are trying to make a contradiction work and that never ends well.
I am ending here because I have repeated myself far too many times more than I cared to. I pray you will soon "get it" and come to your senses.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't pretend.

Don't know what you mean by those words. It's an honest question I asked. If you believe the OT all applies, then you must believe we also have to sacrifice animals, too. We have to stone others for breaking certain laws within the Law of Moses.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am ending here because I have repeated myself far too many times more than I cared to. I pray you will soon "get it" and come to your senses.

And I am praying that you will come to your senses in what the Bible plainly says instead of you preferring it to say something that it does not. Again, Jesus says do not put your treasure here upon this Earth.

Believe these words of Jesus plainly and do not seek to change them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God does not need our wealth, he wants our hearts.
No He doesn't. That is why He gave it to us instead to use for His purposes. Just as man misuses God to justify their will, God can use that of man for His own purposes. But the bottom line is that those who release themselves from the mental bondage of this world can indeed enter the Kingdom without releasing the material.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No He doesn't. That is why He gave it to us instead to use for His purposes. Just as man misuses God to justify their will, God can use that of man for His own purposes. But the bottom line is that those who release themselves from the mental bondage of this world can indeed enter the Kingdom without releasing the material.

No. The poor widow gave more in the eyes of God than the rich men did combined. Oh, and giving of one's riches is a part of eternal life. Just keep reading on to the end of Matthew 19.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No. The poor widow gave more in the eyes of God than the rich men did combined. Oh, and giving of one's riches is a part of eternal life. Just keep reading on to the end of Matthew 19.
I understand what you are saying but consider this. Should they just scatter it or hand it out as needed. Do they give the people a fish or do they provide a means for people to either fish or attain fish? Who manages the ability for a person to be self sufficient? Even in the 40 years in the desert someone was in charge.
Now there is only one problem left.. Man will find a way to gather the money for themselves in the way the rich demand tax breaks to provide jobs that never come. These have their reward and can look forward to no life. Two types of people, two ways to manage money.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you are saying but consider this. Should they just scatter it or hand it out as needed. Do they give the people a fish or do they provide a means for people to either fish or attain fish? Who manages the ability for a person to be self sufficient? Even in the 40 years in the desert someone was in charge.
Now there is only one problem left.. Man will find a way to gather the money for themselves in the way the rich demand tax breaks to provide jobs that never come. These have their reward and can look forward to no life. Two types of people, two ways to manage money.

We cannot assume that just because unbelievers own successful multi million dollar companies that this is something that God wants for his own people. This is evident by various verses in the New Testament. 1 Timothy 6:9 says that the rich fall into a snare and many foolish and hurtful lusts. 1 Timothy 6:11 says, for us men of God to flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.

So the choice is that you can think about this rationally or you can simply believe God's Word by faith and obey God in what He desires for our life.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So the choice is that you can think about this rationally or you can simply believe God's Word by faith and obey God in what He desires for our life.
I believe, even if in spirit we reject it, we are stuck with the world we have created in our own image (thus reaping what we sow) until we check into the Kingdom and the circumstances are changed. :)

Upvote 0