USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Problem is, NOT all fat people are gluttons.

The quality of food, genetics/environment, medication or other illness etc can all factor in.

So assuming that all fat people should be punished because they love food is like assuming that all non believers want to sacrifice cats to the devil.

The reality is, you should be equally "strict" with all sins as sin is sin in the eyes of the Father.

Man is the one that provides severity of differering sins so that they can feel as if they are fit to look down on another.
Yes, I will self-flag myself every time I eat a bacon cheeseburger.

If you read my comments, you will see that I am not talking about "punishment" or stuff like that.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally feel we are all socially obligated to look presentable. If being obese is detracting from this obligation then it's something to focus on. This of course brings up the subjectivity of what is attractive or presentable but generally being obese isn't as presentable as lean.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This of course brings up the subjectivity of what is attractive or presentable but generally being obese isn't as presentable as lean.
Depends on how much money they flash around lol

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People also don't get the exercise they used to. We used to have to get out and plow, weed, and hoe to grow our food. I'm going to try and grow chocolate-chip cookies next year ...
I hear the midwest is good for growing things. Let me know how that works. I'll come visit; maybe invest in the farm for a small share of the crops.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Not me, but there are small restaurants that do it. Like McDonald's but way smaller and more homemade.

Ok now I'm curious about Ecuadorian junk food. Do they replicate the American junk like fries & nuggets?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's about what it takes me to get out of bed in the morning. Times change.
Things do change, particularly as we age.

Weight creeps up, unless we are vigilant about trying to maintain a good bodyweight.

There is no doubt that, at 60, I am benefitted by a daily hit of aspirin in the morning (which is also good for my heart).

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
About seven years ago I tipped the scale at 317 pounds. Then I started eating healthy and exercising. I now weigh in at 185. I did this despite taking some medications that promote weight gain, so it can be done. I still want to drop another 15 pounds.

I raised the issue of gluttony in another thread that was discussing the need for women to dress modestly to prevent men from lusting, never mind the fact that some men will lust even if women cover every inch of their bodies. The fact is that we are each responsible for our own sins, be it greed or envy or lust or gluttony.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of fat people in the US and a lot of risk-related diseases. I say this as someone who is not in good physical condition.
I am part of the 40% of Americans in the normal weight range. Obese people are at higher risk of a shortened life span. Fats contain 9 calories per gram. This includes animal fat, dairy fat and plant fat such as vegetable oil. A gram of carbs or sugar contains 4 calories. Starches are absorbed less quickly. High fiber foods are more filling, less fattening.

I read vegan doctors who recommended a low fat diet with more whole grains, beans, lentils, vegetables and fruits. They have lower incidences of early heart disease.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of fat people in the US and a lot of risk-related diseases. I say this as someone who is not in good physical condition.

Oh, no. The only sin is sexy things! Just ask any right-wing Americhristian.

• Haha
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Even though I am "Big Government David", I am thinking more about promoting a healthy lifestyle while showing the consequences of sugars, trans fats, etc.
Well a person is free to do that if he or she chooses. I am not sure how that relates to being more "strict" though.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the church should take gluttony more seriously. That said, just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they're committing some sort of sin. There are medical conditions and treatments that result in weight gain regardless of what someone is eating.

Upvote 0