Should the SDA Forum Be Split?

Should the SDA Forum Be Split?

• Yes, split the two into separate forums.

• No, leave them in one area but have stricter rules to prevent personal attacks.

Results are only viewable after voting.

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,761.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The poll seems to indicate opposition to dividing up the forum.

Do you think if strict rules and some sort of warning system were enacted, this would be unnecessary?

That seems to be the general consensus......

Upvote 0

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Do you think if strict rules and some sort of warning system were enacted, this would be unnecessary?
I'm certain it would make a split unnecessary. HOWEVER, will there be enough moderators to be here the many hours it would take to moderate this forum, and would they be willing to do the work it's going to take to get the constant squabbling and sniping at one another that has been going on in here almost from the beginning, to cease?

I know how much work I'm talking about because I MODERATE on another huge site.

It's going to take more than one moderator with a strong desire to make this forum a peaceful place to come and "talk", for stricter rules and a warning system to make much difference.

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I thought in the new rules Sophia posted that only 'regulars' could come in and vote. So many of the liberals were recruited by Ice to come and out number the SDA's. The very reason why this rule was put in place was to avoid what actually has happened!!

I believe this poll should be declared invalid.

* Participation in the development of General Rules is encouraged by all membership. However, participation in Sub Forum rules should be limited to those members who regularly post in those categories.

Most of the people who voted in this poll have not been here for over a year.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought in the new rules Sophia posted that only 'regulars' could come in and vote. So many of the liberals were recuited by Ice to come and out number the SDA's.

I believe this poll should be declared invalid.

* Participation in the development of General Rules is encouraged by all membership. However, participation in Sub Forum rules should be limited to those members who regularly post in those categories.

Most of the people who voted in this poll have not been here for over a year.
\

Actually, the rule that we all agreed on was that people couldn't vote unless they were an SDA forum member prior to July 4th.

Moreover, those that identify themselves with an icon of something other than the SDA icon, but are known to be regulars, are also allowed to participate in the voting process, but only because they are already known by the regulars to be SDA.

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
\

Actually, the rule that we all agreed on was that people couldn't vote unless they were an SDA forum member prior to July 4th.

Moreover, those that identify themselves with an icon of something other than the SDA icon, but are known to be regulars, are also allowed to participate in the voting process, but only because they are already known by the regulars to be SDA.

WOOB--thats NOT what the rule said. Read it again.

It plainly says REGULARLY POST! Those who Ice recruited have NOT regularly posted in over a year!

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WOOB--thats NOT what the rule said. Read it again.

It plainly says REGULARLY POST! Those who Ice recruited have NOT regularly posted in over a year!

I was one of the people that participated in making up the rule. I know what it means.

Regulars is to be interpreted within the context of those who have something other than an SDA icon, but are known to be SDA, and have been SDA forum members prior to July 4th; but it also includes those who have an SDA icon, and have been members prior to July 4th.

The reason why we made it this way is because it is now too easy for anyone to just come in here and claim to be an SDA. Such people are not permitted to vote because they may not be what they are claiming to be. If they are allowed to vote or participate in the rule making process, they may have impure motivations for doing so, and seek to do that which is not best for the members of this forum.

If you look at the Wiki discussion concerning this you will see that what I am saying is true, and that you have misinterpreted the rule.

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
It's going to take more than one moderator with a strong desire to make this forum a peaceful place to come and "talk", for stricter rules and a warning system to make much difference.
It's much easier to moderate an unruly group. Establish a zero-tolerance policy and people fall in line in a heartbeat. The moderator has to know how to make his time count.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Could someone who has inside knowledge please confirm wether this poll was valid or not? Ice and RC are saying this thread was a waste of time and pointless because this poll should never have been started. They are saying that the wiki discussion and the rules that were voted on there have always stood and that a forum split could not override what had already been established in the wiki:

http://www.christianforums.com/t5799281-polls.html

Tall seemed to think that the what had already been voted on in the wiki could be discarded if the majority wanted a split. :scratch:

http://www.christianforums.com/t5794749-a-separation.html

I realize the vote on the poll went in favor of a blended forum and we are basically back where we left off with the wiki, but I would still like to know wether the poll thread was a waste of typing time and mental energy or not.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could someone who has inside knowledge please confirm wether this poll was valid or not? Ice and RC are saying this thread was a waste of time and pointless because this poll should never have been started. They are saying that the wiki discussion and the rules that were voted on there have always stood and that a forum split could not override what had already been established in the wiki:

http://www.christianforums.com/t5799281-polls.html

Tall seemed to think that the what had already been voted on in the wiki could be discarded if the majority wanted a split. :scratch:

I realize the vote on the poll went in favor of a blended forum and we are basically back where we left off with the wiki, but I would still like to know wether the poll thread was a waste of typing time and mental energy or not.

It's vaild on the grounds that we have the authority to change our rules and decisions at will, but only by majority vote.

See Erwin for further explanation if this one does not suffice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A. Since it was asked the poll was posted by Woob, partly in response to the statements in several places that the idea was being considered. Woob and I worked together to refine the poll options so as to avoid a circumstance where a majority would not be found.

B. The poll was not formed in the wiki, following that process. However, the reason I said it would be valid is that Letalis, the one in charge of handling such issues, popped in and seemed to say it was.

If it is showing the opinions of members and is valid to the one on CF in charge of such things then what can we say to that?

So I assume it is a valid poll at this point.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟345,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the wiki process must be followed

the to split poll were stated on a whim and both are loosing. I think it speaks for its self then.
they have over half of the 4 forum poll and they are still loosing.

The poll may be valid for a litmitus test but is not part of the WIKI (rule) making process.
it is a 15 year old kid child who can't see the big picture

Upvote 0

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
This is just sickening.

Nice timing Moicherie...havent been here in how long and suddenly you decide to show up when a split is about to happen and start saying it shouldnt.

In my opinion, the progressive believers sooo dont want this split and they are doing everything in there power to stop it.

The traditionals had the votes to make a split possible and then all of a sudden progressives who havent been here in a VERY long time start coming in here and putting there two cents in.

or maybe they want so much chaos that the whole sda forum gets shut down and then nobody will learn of the sda church and what it believes. since its obvious they dont agree with the church views, they must want it to collapse (the church that is). And by not having a forum here where people can come and ask questions about sda's, our message cant get out and that makes less education on the truth and that means people stop coming to our faith.

I truly see this as disturbing. Both scenarios.

Like I said before, the traditionals and progressives cannot coexist in the same forum. Its like expecting Jews and Musleums to share a forum. It would never work because there core beliefs are so different. In the sda forum its worse because it says we are the same belief but we are obviously not! Its like a sheep in wolves clothing so to speak.

Even Jesus said there comes a time where you are to dust off your sandals and move on. Its not being wimpy or scared, etc. Its just plain sense! Things aren't going to change. So dont come back and accuse me or the other Traditionals about being scared, afraid, etc. Even Jesus knows there are times to move on when what you are doing isn't working.

SPLIT THE FORUM ALREADY!

Lets finally put to an end all the bickering over doctrine since obviously we dont agree and are not like minded and get to teaching the world what we do believe. The traditionals with there mainstream adventist, general conference believing beliefs and then who knows what for the progressives. I dont know what to call yourselves, but its obvious you dont need to carry the adventist name. So you better open a poll amongst yourselves to figure out a name. Because people, your not Adventist. (maybe in name you think you are, but not in beliefs!)
Why are some progressives afraid of splitting the forum? I dont truly understand. Is it because they wont be able to spread their beliefs around and try to pass it off as mainstream adventism and get people all confused anymore?
Yes good timing, its called democracy, you don't like it? Too bad. Beside what do I believe, you seem to have amazing mind reading abilites so come on tell me what do I moicherie believe that is so different from 'mainstream' adventism?
Last I checked you and no one on here as a monopoly on the Adventist name, btw the name won't get you into heaven so why be so territorial about it? I look forward to the second coming of Jesus and observe Saturday as the Sabbath. Perhaps you do not hence you wish for someone like me to disappear? If we split we split, the world will not come to an end based on what happens on this forum no matter how some people rant and rave. I was asked for a vote and so I voted, you don't like the way I vote well thats democracy baby!
Are you afraid of the voting principle or something? You come across as a baby throwing toys out of a pram.

Upvote 0

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
Now I understand were the initial split came from, but as you can see there is not really a need for a divide, we all discuss and debate at BSDA and disagree but still care for each other at the end of the day, we have set aside the hate and racor for the most part and get along. Why cannot this be so here......
Cos we don't have haterade for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Upvote 0