Should Preachers Go to Bible College or Seminary?

Should a preacher go to Bible college and/or seminary?

• Total voters

TheZookeeper

May 28, 2020
NC
✟15,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am not posting this in order to troll or start a nasty argument. I am doing research for an undergrad research project, and I am hoping that you guys might be able to help me out.

Here is a link to a Survey Monkey that is almost exactly as you see below:
Should Preachers Go to Bible College or Seminary

If you could answer the following questions survey style, I would appreciate it.

1. Do you consider yourself a Fundamentalist?

2. How old are you?

3. Do you agree with this statement: It is better for a preacher NOT to go to Bible college and/or seminary?

4. Do you agree with this statement: I am not opposed to Bible college and/or seminary, but I think that in many (or most) cases, a preacher is better off without them?

5. Do you agree with this statement: A preacher should not go to Bible college or seminary, but should receive formal training in addition to the weekly church teaching program (such as a Bible institute)?

6. If you answered yes to number 3, 4 or 5, you can help me by providing a single-sentence reason why you believe this way.

7. Any other comments? Links to articles, etc.?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think they need to learn Christian history and what other branches of Christianity believe. I think a lot of the nastiness in Christian circles and the rumor mill are due to ignorance. Some willful.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am not posting this in order to troll or start a nasty argument. I am doing research for an undergrad research project, and I am hoping that you guys might be able to help me out. If you could answer the following questions survey style, I would appreciate it.

2. How old are you?

3. Do you agree with this statement: It is better for a preacher NOT to go to Bible college and/or seminary?

4. Do you agree with this statement: I am not opposed to Bible college and/or seminary, but I think that in many (or most) cases, a preacher is better off without them?

5. Do you agree with this statement: A preacher should not go to Bible college or seminary, but should receive formal training in addition to the weekly church teaching program (such as a Bible institute)?

6. If you answered yes to number 3, 4 or 5, you can help me by providing a single-sentence reason why you believe this way.

Thanks!
As part of your research I assume you have a definition of what “Fundamentalist” means. Please share your definition and I could possible help you avoid a train wreck.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you could answer the following questions survey style, I would appreciate it.

1. Do you consider yourself a Fundamentalist? - no

2. How old are you? - 63

3. Do you agree with this statement: It is better for a preacher NOT to go to Bible college and/or seminary? - no

4. Do you agree with this statement: I am not opposed to Bible college and/or seminary, but I think that in many (or most) cases, a preacher is better off without them? - no

5. Do you agree with this statement: A preacher should not go to Bible college or seminary, but should receive formal training in addition to the weekly church teaching program (such as a Bible institute)? - no

6. If you answered yes to number 3, 4 or 5, you can help me by providing a single-sentence reason why you believe this way. - n/a

7. Any other comments? Links to articles, etc.? - see below
A formal education is always worthwhile for those who will be doing the most important job on earth, teaching/pastoring God's people. I don't think a formal education is always necessary however, I mean, why not let your tailor or your cobbler perform brain surgery (instead of some high-priced surgeon)? After all, tailors and cobblers are both skilled at cutting and sewing (and look at the $$ you'd save) ;)

--David

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I answered "maybe" because I don't necessarily think that they must go to seminary per se, but outside of very special circumstances, they are very likely in need of some degree of formal education in theology and religion and of course know the doctrine of whatever denominations they may be a part of.

Even more importantly, they need to be lifelong learners and not believe that they know everything from the beginning. They also need to be humble and realize that they can learn from others, including lay people in their congregations or elsewhere.

There is a HUGE problem with ignorance in Christianity today. Ignorance of theology, the biblical languages, biblical cultures and influences on church doctrine, church history, etc. There is a also a issue with a lack of critical thinking skills and this problem only seems to be getting worse.

Too many Christians are opposed to education and critical thinking and remain willfully ignorant, believing that they know all the answers already and this horror story isn't just a problem with lay people but also with many pastors as well.

If you study church history, you will see that most of who we consider to be the great theologians, church fathers and mothers, etc. were educated and well-read, and even those with less education are scholars compared to many today.

Remaining willfully ignorant under the guise of excuses like "education is of Satan" is a cop out if not cowardly.

And no, I am not a fundamentalist, which I consider to be a scourge on *any* religion.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

No.

2. How old are you?

No.

No.

No.

I'm a preacher who went to theological college, so that will colour my view. But there is no doubt in my mind that while I could preach before, I am a much, much better preacher after.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am not posting this in order to troll or start a nasty argument. I am doing research for an undergrad research project, and I am hoping that you guys might be able to help me out. If you could answer the following questions survey style, I would appreciate it.

2. How old are you?

Thanks!
John 14:26 The Holy Spirit will teach you.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am most definitely not a Fundamentalist.
I am 58.

I am assuming that, in the survey, "preacher" means a person leading a congregation, not just a person who serves as a guest speaker once in a while. All kinds of people might be good occasional guest speakers. With this in mind:

I strongly disagree with #3-5. A pastor should have a good understanding of the Bible (ideally, in the original languages), the history and theology of Christianity in general and their denomination in particular, and their church's liturgy. Given that pastors counsel parishioners as well, a course or two in psychology or counselling may also be helpful.

The exceptional person, I suppose, could be self-taught; but for most people, formal schooling is the best way to acquire the necessary educational foundation.

(Maybe I should add that I'm a computer science professor at a university, so that may affect my perspective. I expect my priest to know as much about the Bible, theology, and church history as I do about computer science. The priesthood is, in part, a professional theological teaching role.)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm 48 and "No" across the board. Formal training, if done correctly, helps create doxastic humility which is dearly needed among ministers and those they serve. Plus, there is a lot to learn that many won't take the time to learn without some kind of structure. Good luck on your research project! :)

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
1. Do you consider yourself a Fundamentalist? - no

2. How old are you? - 63

3. Do you agree with this statement: It is better for a preacher NOT to go to Bible college and/or seminary? - no

4. Do you agree with this statement: I am not opposed to Bible college and/or seminary, but I think that in many (or most) cases, a preacher is better off without them? - no

5. Do you agree with this statement: A preacher should not go to Bible college or seminary, but should receive formal training in addition to the weekly church teaching program (such as a Bible institute)? - no

6. If you answered yes to number 3, 4 or 5, you can help me by providing a single-sentence reason why you believe this way. - n/a

7. Any other comments? Links to articles, etc.? - see below
A formal education is always worthwhile for those who will be doing the most important job on earth, teaching/pastoring God's people. I don't think a formal education is always necessary however, I mean, why not let your tailor or your cobbler perform brain surgery (instead of some high-priced surgeon)? After all, tailors and cobblers are both skilled at cutting and sewing (and look at the $$ you'd save) ;)

--David
^^This^^

Although I’m 59y/o :rolleyes:

And the denominations I’m most favorable of have their own seminaries for good purposes.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

2. How old are you?

Thanks!
1. No.
2. 52
3. No.
4. No.
5. No.
6. I answered no to all.
7. Prayer, Christian living, and a calling by the Holy Spirit are all necessary prerequisites to the clerical calling...but God seems to move through and use human institutions and mechanisms to do His will, and has established certain checks and balances to prevent us from falling into grave error. Seminary is one of these in the ordinary manner. God is not limited by human ideas and can use anyone He chooses in any manner He chooses, but in most cases and the ordinary means He uses include seminary for clergy.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a seminary graduate. I won't say how old I am but I learned to read when FDR was POTUS.
About seminary. I would not consult a doctor, lawyer, accountant etc. who did not have the proper education. Why should a Christian teacher, pastor etc. be any different?

Upvote 0

TheZookeeper

May 28, 2020
NC
✟15,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good idea, I should have thought of that! Survey link....
Should Preachers Go to Bible College or Seminary

:oldthumbsup:

An obvious extra question to ask is what kind of church people attend, and whether a seminary with their theological perspective exists.

Some groups (e.g. "Primitive" Baptists) have historically been opposed to seminaries on principle, while others may simply distrust the seminaries that are out there nowadays.

And I'm not entirely sure how useful "Fundamentalist" is as a word. While it had a definite meaning 100 years ago, today it seems to mean different things to different people.

• Agree
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As part of your research I assume you have a definition of what “Fundamentalist” means. Please share your definition and I could possible help you avoid a train wreck.
Can someone provide a definition? I'm not sure what it means.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with @redleghunter , @Radagast , and @Emsmom1 : A precise definition of "Fundamentalist" would be useful. The five "fundamentals", as I was taught them, are 1) the inerrancy of the Bible, 2) the virgin birth, 3) substitutionary atonement, 4) Jesus' resurrrection, and 5) historicity of Jesus' miracles. But many conservative Christians would affirm these, without considering themselves Fundamentalists. The term has taken on extra meanings over the years -- disbelief in evolution, opposition to the ordination of women, distrust of higher criticism, separation from other Christians, and so on -- but now the definition is getting fuzzy. And there are groups of Christians that label themselves as Fundamentalist (e.g., Independent Fundamental Baptist).

It doesn't help that "Fundamentalist" is often used as a perjorative label, instead of a simple description.

@TheZookeeper : Which, if any, of these definitions do you have in mind? Or are you just looking for people who label themselves as "Fundamentalist"?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

4. Do you agree with this statement: I am not opposed to Bible college and/or seminary, but I think that in many (or most) cases, a preacher is better off without them?...

Maybe it depends on what is the goal. If the goal would be to teach what Jesus said, it would probably be better just to read the Bible.

Upvote 0