Should parents teach young children about God?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This may be part of understanding and obeying Jesus when He says to all who want to follow Him they must first leave everything behind; everything including family, etc..
so the "influences that have had the most negative impact"
do not
have any impact on the children any more - it is stopped, ceased, it is no more.

So only God's Way, God's Word, God's Directions, God's Instrutions,
as we fully and completely give all to God, and fully and completely TRUST HIM,
as HE SAYS<
so we can then freely teach our children the plain honest truth instead of man's ways,
and any questions they have we can honestly and truthfully and easily answer
from God's Word, pure truth, in His Word, without the difficulties associated with trying to hand on to man's ways, and still learn or teach God's Way.

Upvote 0

Nick714

Mar 6, 2017
new york
✟21,098.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the more bound they are by sin the more likely they are to reject God. so i think setting a good example is the most important untill they can comprehend more. i would also teach Jesus in a different way than reading the bible to them. maby through bed time storys, children books, music, games, toys and things that intrinsically point back to God but can keep the attention span of a child.

also keep in mind the salvation of the child

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some children love the Lord without a Christian 'brainwashing' them. I had a bible at 5. Don't know where from. Might have stole it from the book case or bought it from a jumble sale my grandmother took me to.

I would read it all the time until my Mum threw it away because it was falling to bits. On the way home from school I would imagine Jesus in the clouds moving us all about like the way a child plays with soldiers.

Then when my parents divorced (9) I was unsupervised enough to take myself off to Church, when a little bolder I would take myself off to the Methodist church where the grown ups were more friendly and would speak to you about Jesus after the service.

That was protection against so many other ways I could have gone and protected me from having scars from the tough life (by Western standards) that I was to have.
The Lord always had an influence over my life growing up and I am so thankful.

Didn't learn that from home.

It seems Goverments are trying to stop us parents from pushing our religion on our children. I have read that its 'abusive' to take your child to church if they don't want to go.
And here is what I love about sam 91
she will obey JESUS if it costs her persecution even. I love you too Sam. and all of you all who love our LORD

• Friendly
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And here is what I love about sam 91
she will obey JESUS if it costs her persecution even. I love you too Sam. and all of you all who love our LORD
Thank you brother. God bless you immensely.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If they don't believe at all, should they be teaching it? If it was law everyone had to teach their kids Christianity, the athiests and anti-theists probably wouldn't be teaching the truth. They'd say eh some people believe this stuff or I'm required to say -antithiest opinion of God-.
I said they should even if just out of fear of God. One can't do it by law.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A major argument atheists make is that its absurd to teach young children who can barely count to 5, about God. Do the atheists have a point here? Should young children be taught about God when they probably can't even understand anything in the bible? Also can't this lead to the child eventually rebelling once they leave home for college, and ending up an atheist?

I personally kind of feel uneasy about the whole thing, because it leaves children with way more questions than their parents can answer. And causes children a lot of distress, why should a 5 year old be afraid of going to hell? I think there needs to be a minimum age where a child can consent to learning about the bible and God. Because at such a young age I think it does more harm than good personally, especially from my experience, especially with older siblings or parents who threaten you with hell if you don't clean your room or something.
I've taught my children about most of the things that are important to me in my life, partly through example, and partly through words. They see me read books and prepare class notes, so they see that learning and education are important to me. They see me recycling and composting, and they see that caring for the environment is important to me. I hope they see me being kind to people, and learn that kindness is important. They see in my life the things that are important to me. The worship of God is central to my life, and so of course I'm going to share that religious faith with them too.

In my church tradition, there's a belief that for many aspects of Christian life, we experience it first, and then explain it afterwards. We welcome young children in the worship service, to sing and pray and stand and kneel and read, and then as questions arise, we answer them: Why do we pray? Why do we kneel? What do those words mean? Why is there bread and wine? During the week, we include our children when we serve meals to low-income families, then talk afterwards about why it was important to do that. Sometimes there have been larger events, like deaths in the family, and we talked about that too.

So I didn't start by dropping a systematic theology on the heads of my toddlers. I started by inviting them to practice the Christian life alongside me, and then I answered their questions as they arose.

I can see the atheists' point, I think. But religion is an important part of life, and it's hard to really understand a religion from the outside, just by reading a book or two. By immersing my children in the Christian life, I hope that they come to understand Christian faith deeply and intimately. As they come into adulthood, they'll make their own choices. But even if they decide to become atheists, they'll be well informed atheists. They won't just drift into atheism because they didn't get around to thinking about God.

I certainly hope my children have more questions than I can answer. I think they do. I've tried to raise them to be people who explore and question and are curious about the world. Religion explores the deepest mysteries of life: Who am I? Why am I here? What is the good way to live? Is there a God, and if so, what is God like? What is the relationship between God and the world? and so on. One of my goals as a parent has been to invite my children into exploring these depths, to ask these important questions.

Religion done badly can do more harm than good, yes. I've tried not to do religion badly. :)

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A major argument atheists make is that its absurd to teach young children who can barely count to 5, about God. Do the atheists have a point here? Should young children be taught about God when they probably can't even understand anything in the bible? Also can't this lead to the child eventually rebelling once they leave home for college, and ending up an atheist?

I personally kind of feel uneasy about the whole thing, because it leaves children with way more questions than their parents can answer. And causes children a lot of distress, why should a 5 year old be afraid of going to hell? I think there needs to be a minimum age where a child can consent to learning about the bible and God. Because at such a young age I think it does more harm than good personally, especially from my experience, especially with older siblings or parents who threaten you with hell if you don't clean your room or something.
Personally, I think young children in Christian homes should be brought up with basic understanding of who God and Jesus are. I was taught at a young age about different Bible stories and taught how to pray and whatnot. Once they get older and can understand better, then perhaps it would be better to teach them more difficult concepts for young children to handle, but I don't think it hurts to teach them about God at a young age, especially if you want them to grow up knowing the Lord.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I think young children in Christian homes should be brought up with basic understanding of who God and Jesus are. I was taught at a young age about different Bible stories and taught how to pray and whatnot. Once they get older and can understand better, then perhaps it would be better to teach them more difficult concepts for young children to handle, but I don't think it hurts to teach them about God at a young age, especially if you want them to grow up knowing the Lord.
PK, you know why I agree with you. CAUSE JESUS said suffer the LIL children to come unto me and FORBID them NOT
WE follow JESUS instructions. for who is wiser a man who knows not God, a man who knows of God or JESUS.
I bet I know your answer, and I bet it starts with J

Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Pk , its why so many get mad at me, but also so some love me .
I just keep it simple does any decision or action agree with what JESUS said.
I just see it like a little child. IF Jesus said do we should do, if he said not to do ,we should not do.
I don't mind seeming dumb or uneducated . I just say follow CHRIST. and man I have peace.

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pk , its why so many get mad at me, but also so some love me .
I just keep it simple does any decision or action agree with what JESUS said.
I just see it like a little child. IF Jesus said do we should do, if he said not to do ,we should not do.
I don't mind seeming dumb or uneducated . I just say follow CHRIST. and man I have peace.
I like the simplicity of your answer. Not everything needs to be overcomplicated anyways, unlike some people seem to think.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They can go to hell then.
perhaps the better way to say this is, if they wont repent they go to hell.
we KNOW God desires none to perish, thus we ought never desire them to either.
not saying you do, but I just showed a better way to express that.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I like the simplicity of your answer. Not everything needs to be overcomplicated anyways, unlike some people seem to think.
and you know who likes that . JESUS , IF ye LOVE me keep my sayings.
Man I could sing the song of joy , that when the LORD sent grace to me, he saved such a vile thing.
God grace changes us and has us live JESUS sayings..........now that is truly mercy from GOD.

Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

There is no conscent of age to the question of faith. Faith must be the foundation before any Athiestic rubbish is wilfully and intentionally bashed into them at a latter stage of their educational lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
perhaps the better way to say this is, if they wont repent they go to hell.
we KNOW God desires none to perish, thus we ought never desire them to either.
not saying you do, but I just showed a better way to express that.
Right. And if anyone offend one of the little children...such as by denying them the truth of salvation...then it were better that a big stone be hung on their neck, and they be cast into the middle of the ocean.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right. And if anyone offend one of the little children...such as by denying them the truth of salvation...then it were better that a big stone be hung on their neck, and they be cast into the middle of the ocean.
So, how do you feel about parents who claim to be Christians but do not tell their young children about the truth of salvation?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If schools can teach them about sex, parents can teach them about God. I've known 3 year olds whp knew and understood about Jesus. The Lord prayed that we would all have faith like little children.

• Agree
Reactions: The Times
Upvote 0