Should parents teach young children about God?

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My parents did a good job, but I still fell away from the church in my 20s

Well it seems to me you are saying it doesn't really matter what the parents do, because even if they do a good job, the child can still fall away from the faith. There are plenty examples of parents doing a great job raising their children to be christians, and the child leaving the faith, I just think the problem is not all are God's chosen. Not all are called to be children of God. It is of my opinion that if God wants you a part of his family, he will get you. We see this from the many people raised in atheist families and environments who come to Christ, we also see the other side with loving christian parents, and children who completely reject the faith entirely. So in the end no matter what the parent does, Gods will shall be done.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
A major argument atheists make is that its absurd to teach young children who can barely count to 5, about God. Do the atheists have a point here? Should young children be taught about God when they probably can't even understand anything in the bible? Also can't this lead to the child eventually rebelling once they leave home for college, and ending up an atheist?

I personally kind of feel uneasy about the whole thing, because it leaves children with way more questions than their parents can answer. And causes children a lot of distress, why should a 5 year old be afraid of going to hell? I think there needs to be a minimum age where a child can consent to learning about the bible and God. Because at such a young age I think it does more harm than good personally, especially from my experience, especially with older siblings or parents who threaten you with hell if you don't clean your room or something.

If learning about god is harmful, you are misunderstanding who He is, for starters. Secondly, the average child understands that the created world just didn't happen. Most kids easily understand that God is creator and Lord.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. (Deu 6:6)
We are to specifically teach our children God's laws. God hates sin. Sin has severe consequences in this life and the next. All people, sound and old, all well-served if they mediate on God's law and promise. We create warped adults when we express only God's love to children without instructing them on God's demands, for it is the Law that drives us to His love and grace.

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A major argument atheists make is that its absurd to teach young children who can barely count to 5, about God. Do the atheists have a point here? Should young children be taught about God when they probably can't even understand anything in the bible? Also can't this lead to the child eventually rebelling once they leave home for college, and ending up an atheist?

I personally kind of feel uneasy about the whole thing, because it leaves children with way more questions than their parents can answer. And causes children a lot of distress, why should a 5 year old be afraid of going to hell? I think there needs to be a minimum age where a child can consent to learning about the bible and God. Because at such a young age I think it does more harm than good personally, especially from my experience, especially with older siblings or parents who threaten you with hell if you don't clean your room or something.

I think it's awesome that some children learn to have a relationship with God.

Atheist only say that because they don't know God.

Now I have no right to criticize them because I barely know God. But I really really want to. In fact I get jealous of little kids that have strong relationships with God because they are doing better than me.

But I've met kids who absolutely love God.

But I guess it depends on how you see things. I mean I don't know if they continue to have a relationship with God as adults though.

We knew about God (my brothers and sisters) when we were kids and we rebelled as adults. But I don't think that happens to every child. I'm sure there are people out there who have accepted Christ as a child and continue to have a relationship with him even as an adult.

But I do think it is scriptural to train up a child in the way that he should go like proverb said. If a child rebels as an adult, it's not because he or she learned about God as a child, it's because he or she chose to walk away from God.

And as a person who is responsible for my own actions, I rebelled against God because of me not because my parents taught me about God when I was a little kid. I am now trying to get back to God. But sometimes I question how hard am I trying to get back to God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FangirlingGOD
Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22.6)

Oops

I just quoted that on my own post. I guess I didn't need to.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

By example but not a "ready made" religion. I'm a thinker, a stickler for details. As a child I listened intently to the attempts by Sunday school teachers and the minister at our church try in vain to teach an incoherent, inconsistent theology. Church was disappointing, a huge turn off! They presented a really neurotic God concept that was mean spirited and irrational. I tuned out until I was 21 and needed to find the true God that I sensed was there all along.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So parents are to blame if their child abandons the faith?
We don't know because it's a broad principle being added to this discussion. In this question I would say sometimes it is the parents and at other times not. It's like a point I heard made by a family councilor.

He found himself between two extremes of parenting and explained it something like this: Sometimes you can have the most level headed mature parents in the world, yet their child continually ends up at odds with the law, thrown in prison and morally bankrupt. Then at the other end of the spectrum you find parents who themselves are drug addicts, thieves and have a disregard for anyone but themselves, yet their children raise themselves up to become responsible hard working adults.

I believe the bottom line is parents play a major role in teaching children but with limitations to the outcome. Generally it would be a good idea to place the idea of creation within a child because without it, we can decide for ourselves what is right and what is wrong. Not that we are some how immune or exempt from doing that if we do believe in God.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A major argument atheists make is that its absurd to teach young children who can barely count to 5, about God. Do the atheists have a point here?

Since Atheists do not judge the world, and since Atheist has no standard for morality apart from God, and since Atheists hate God, the Atheist is not one to consult about teaching a child about God.

It is far more absurd and unloving to not teach a child about God, to teach them the fantasies of the Big Bang and Evolution.

Should young children be taught about God when they probably can't even understand anything in the bible?

This is not a fair assessment. Children understand far more than we give them credit for. Yes, there are hard things to understand in the Bible, but the fundamental truth of the Bible and God can and should be taught to children. To withhold the truth from a child is very unloving.

Also can't this lead to the child eventually rebelling once they leave home for college, and ending up an atheist?

Not at all. It is far more likely that a person will become an Atheist by not hearing or knowing the truth of God, because they have formed an image of God based on error and misinformation.

I personally kind of feel uneasy about the whole thing, because it leaves children with way more questions than their parents can answer.

Parents can never answer all the questions that children have, since parents are not omniscient. But if a hard question comes up about the Bible, that is why you seek help from your Pastor, Elders and other brothers and sisters in Christ. God never asks parents to operate in a vacuum.

And causes children a lot of distress, why should a 5 year old be afraid of going to hell?

If parents are only teaching there children about Hell, yes, that can cause a lot of distress. But if you are a Christian, you teach the child the whole counsel of God. God's love, grace and mercy are meaningless when you do not teach the child of God's righteous and holy wrath against sin and how the fundamental nature of man is to sin.

I think there needs to be a minimum age where a child can consent to learning about the bible and God.

For your family, that is your choice, and you will give account to God for why you withheld the truth from them at an early age. But you or anyone else does not have the right to force my wife and I when we choose to teach my children about God.

Because at such a young age I think it does more harm than good personally, especially from my experience, especially with older siblings or parents who threaten you with hell if you don't clean your room or something.

Again, parents are to teach the whole counsel of God, and not abuse God's word with threats to modify a behavior. It is right to fear God, but it is far better to love Him because of how amazingly kind He has been and is to us. God does not owe rebel sinners anything.

Upvote 0

Aseyesee

Apr 18, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I taught my children love, and as they grew to understand love, I taught them that if they only love those who love them, that really haven't done anything, and that there is no partiality in God, that he would hold us to a higher standard then he does himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My 2 year old picks a lot up for himself. Learned 'hallelujah', 'praise the lord' on his own. (Copying obvs) The first word he read was 'bible' They are interested.

He told me this week. God is big. I like God. Don't worry god will fix it.

Out of all the songs we sing the one he has chosen to learn the words to is 'Jesus loves me'. The only other song he tries to sing is 'twinkle twinkle little star'. The rest he just says a couple of words to if u stop and wait.

Train a child in the way he should go... but most children seem to be drawn that way, unless the world gets there first. In my limited experience anyway.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The atheists argue that were brainwashing children. Raising them in truth and teaching them selective things to manipulate them are different. I have no idea what will happen to me at judgement but I would not rather my parents waited until I was older. I might never come to Christ at all. What if they did it as an older kid, when I was finding out the Easter bunny isn't real, and dismissed the idea of God? Or middle school or high school where athiests may pressure my weakness to abandon faith and having little or no experience with God having nothing to return to? I strayed from the faith junior year, but I suddenly felt like something was horribly wrong, like God was giving one last pull on me. I don't know if I understand that right and I'm saved now but I know the way to Life is here somewhere.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As for my middle child her desire to know the Lord was great. At nursery/first year of school she kept asking questions about God and Jesus on busses to the embarassment of my deceased partner. Had to ban her from asking in public. She would nag asking me to take her to Church. The only time I would take her was at Christmas unfortunately as a fallen Christian.

When the Lord called me back last year she was made up that she was finally getting chance to go. Then surprised me with the fact she knew more about Exodus than I did at the time. She brought up Moses striking the rock. I regret not telling her more about God and taking her to church sooner. Just cos now I see how selfish I was

• Friendly
Reactions: DeerGlow
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The atheists argue that were brainwashing children. Raising them in truth and teaching them selective things to manipulate them are different. I have no idea what will happen to me at judgement but I would not rather my parents waited until I was older. I might never come to Christ at all. What if they did it as an older kid, when I was finding out the Easter bunny isn't real, and dismissed the idea of God? Or middle school or high school where athiests may pressure my weakness to abandon faith and having little or no experience with God having nothing to return to? I strayed from the faith junior year, but I suddenly felt like something was horribly wrong, like God was giving one last pull on me. I don't know if I understand that right and I'm saved now but I know the way to Life is here somewhere.

Jesus is the way, truth and life.

Self condemnation is what kept me away for 14 years. It took a long time for me to understand.

I had tried over the years to go to Church and repair my relationship to the Lord. I always felt because I had knowingly sinned I was a hypocrite and didnt love the Lord enough.

Last June was when it changed. I decided I was going to try again. (After starting to finally lose my faith in God. I had somehow managed to finally stop believing the year before for the only time in my life.) Two weeks before I had heard a politician had been murdered, my heart lept with glee hoping it was Iain Duncan Smith or a Tory. Then felt abolutely awful when I realised I was temporarily glad of something horrific. I called out to the Lord in dispair, ordered Him 'Oh fix me Lord'. Forgot all about it.

Got in touch with a Christian I knew all those years ago. Spoke to him and decided I was going to pray. Was determined not to lie to God so decided to ask the Holy Spirit to pray for me. I then picked up my bible opened it at a parable where Jesus said 'Get up and walk'. Been walking ever since. Physically and spiritually. The Lord has been revealing the way since.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Hope my story helps x

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus is the way, truth and life.

Self condemnation is what kept me away for 14 years. It took a long time for me to understand.

I had tried over the years to go to Church and repair my relationship to the Lord. I always felt because I had knowingly sinned I was a hypocrite and didnt love the Lord enough.

Last June was when it changed. I decided I was going to try again. (After starting to finally lose my faith in God. I had somehow managed to finally stop believing the year before.) Two weeks before I had heard a politician had been murdered, my heart lept with glee hoping it was Iain Duncan Smith or a Tory. Then felt abolutely awful when I realised I was temporarily glad of something horrific. I called out to the Lord in dispair, ordered Him 'Oh fix me Lord'. Forgot all about it.

Got in touch with a Christian I knew all those years ago. Spoke to him and decided I was going to pray. Was determined not to lie to God so decided to ask the Holy Spirit to pray for me. I then picked up my bible opened it at a parable where Jesus said 'Get up and walk'. Been walking ever since. Physically and spiritually. The Lord has been revealing the way since.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Hope my story helps x

I think this is what I'm trying to say.

There comes a time when you should stop thinking and trust. Then you live in faith. It's the ACT faith that opens the door to growth. (Assuming you know the basics of what Jesus did etc) SELF can be a huge barrier and one which keeps coming back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But we see people trained to be christians leaving the faith all the time,

what you actually see is parents dragging their kids to church every sunday and living like hell the rest of the week all while claiming to be "Christians".

garbage in, garbage out.

• Winner
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes. They not only should but the MUST. A failure to do so is a crime. Rather than worry about a silly godless doubt factory of education, kids should be warned against it. Prepared. Either they love the world, or God. Even if a parent doesn't believe at all, I recommend they do it..out of sheer fear of God.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are to raise a child up so they will become saved at the right time (depending on your belief). Now one could reverse the question and ask an atheist "Should you teach your child religion is not real and that they should avoid it?". My feeling is I will raise my child as God asked. If they reject God later thats up to them.

Upvote 0