Not open for further replies.

SharLovesYeshua

Oct 23, 2014
✟7,627.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
meWell I have a degree in social service. I specifically went into the human service field because I wanted to help people. Should I only volunteer in the social service field and get another job to pay my bills? Am I really helping humanity, if I am getting paid for it? Also note, Social service is one of the lowest paying careers out there. Hmmm, I have wondered about this before...

...I was actually thinking about going back to get another degree in nursing

But again this question again came up to myself...Would nursing be helping others if I am getting paid for it...?

I guess we can ask ourselves this about many occupations maybe...

I think God helps us with this question about ourselves, with a sense within ourselves...

To know the answer is to feel The Holy Spirit telling us what is right, I suppose its similar to common sense, but more Spiritual. I know if I am feeling condemned or condemning others, then that does not feel right, but how do I then express myself, without my ego taking over and having an "I told you so moment" lol. Clear communication is good. I think honestly and kindly. IDK, maybe I am just rambling along lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ron4shua

" ... each in our own order " , Hallelu-YAH .
Aug 3, 2014
Sacramento valley
Visit site
✟12,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
http://biblehub.com/isr/matthew/6.htm
23“But if your eye is evil,a all your body shall be darkened. If, then, the light that is within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24“No one is able to serve two masters, for either he shall hate the one and love the other, or else he shall cleave to the one and despise the other. You are not able to serve Elohim and mammon.a

25“Because of this I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you shall eat or drink, or about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than the food and the body more than the clothing?

26“Look at the birds of the heaven, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into storehouses, yet your heavenly Father does feed them. Are you not worth more than they?

27“And which of you by worrying is able to add one cubit to his life’s span?

28“So why do you worry about clothing? Note well the lilies of the field, how they grow. They neither toil nor spin,

29and I say to you that even Shelomoh in all his esteem was not dressed like one of these.

30“But if Elohim so clothes the grass of the field, which exists today, and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more you, O you of little belief?

31“Do not worry then, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’

32“For all these the gentiles seek for. And your heavenly Father knows that you need all these.

33“But seek first the reign of Elohim, and His righteousness, and all these matters shall be added to you.

34“Do not, then, worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow shall have its own worries. Each day has enough evil of itself.

Hallelu-YAH .

Upvote 0
May 20, 2015
✟7,635.00
Faith
Lutheran
Quite frankly, i find it offensive that you would use Paul's word to support your stupid and ignorant logic. Paul never said that the people who call a Pastor shouldn't support him as he does the work he has been called to do. Pastors are overworked and underpaid unless they have made a name for themselves on TV and are writing best-selling books of Pseudo-Christianity (Joel Osteen) that they own their own Jet, mansion and other worldly material possessions. THese are rare exceptions cuz no Pastor I have trained with in the Seminary will make enough in a lifetime to be able to buy even a nice car. The Seminaries of the LCMS/AALC do a very good job of training their men for this field. Some of them are dual vocation Pastors who need the extra money to make ends meet. This may become the wave of the future as church attendance continues to go down and there isn't enough money in the budget to pay a Pastor full-time. This is a vocation to which we are called by God through the congregation to serve God's people.

Reactions: yeshuasavedme
Upvote 0

rcetc

Author
Dec 15, 2012
USA
Visit site
✟15,382.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is another hindrance to Gods order Paid salaried ministers

I know this may not seem to be a hindrance to Gods order but it is

When one man calked “the pastor” and a few others get paid a wage to minister over the body this makes their function more vital than others and creates a schism in the body again. Why would the believers seek to be minister to one another as God says they should and commands they should (1 Cor 14:26-38, 1 Peter 4:10,11), if they pay the one man pastor to do do so? This also makes them dependant on men and those so called “pastors” who are salaried professionals. But if all the body was to function under Christ headship they would soon realize that they don’t need to have one man paid or exalted above them to do it
Bit when speaking of this issue, many will get very defensive especially those who make their living off the income they make from others. But we need to look closer at this. To begin with Jesus said,

“..freely ye have received, freely give.”(Matthew 10:8)

No man can buy his salvation or pay to get a ministry from God. God gives to men freely salvation and gifts and all good things. And no man should charge money to preach the gospel. Paul echoed this also when he said,

“What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. “(1 Corinthians 9:13)

Paul himself worked often to support himself and help others as scripture states ,

“For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God. “ 1 Thessalonians 2:9)

Paul didnt like the idea of being chargeable to men and he gave a good example to others of working and not coveting any mans wealth, as he said when he spoke to the Ephesian elders,

“ I have coveted no man’s silver, or gold, or apparel. 34 Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. 35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. “(Acts 20: 34-36)

Elders are local men generally who can work . And this is clearly the example Paul was giving to then. Paul said " i have shown you in all things", Paul gave an example to them in his own life. What example would this be if these elders wet simply dependent on others gold or silver and did not work at all? Paul even said ,

“For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you; 8 Neither did we eat any man’s bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you: 9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us. 10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. 11 For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies”(2 Thessalonians 3:7-11)

Here Paul includes himself when he says, he laboured with his own hands not to be chargeable to any and gave an example to others, that if ANY man dies not work he should not eat. And he rebukes those who work not at all. This doesn’t sound like Paul was telling some to set themselves over all and be paid to do so. This command to work seems to be for all the church he wrote to and no specific division between them or putting a single elder over all and paying salary.

“And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you” (1 Thessalinians 4:12)

We have already seen that Paul told the Ephesian elders to work and Paul himself worked also . However Paul did say that he was not chargeable to any man but then he said, “Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us”. This would still be a good example for many today. But what does Paul mean when he implies that he could have the power to take benefits? The answer is in his letter to the Corinthians in chapter 9, where he said,

“ Am I not an apostle? ...2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord. 3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this, 4 Have we not power to eat and to drink? 5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas? 6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working...”

Here Paul is specifically referring to apostles and preachers, who may have an Itinerant ministry. Paul say of This issue, “Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles”. This leading about a wife is connected to itinerant work . If an apostle went to a new place he may not have work there or he may be itinerant and continually moving or on a temporary work. Paul would be implying that the brethren should help out such men. These men are the preachers many times.
The word “preached” means, “to herald, as a town cryer” (check strongs on this) Preaching is to cry out like a town cryer this is not the local elders he is referring to but specifically apostles and perhaps evangelist also .
The preachers were the one who herald the good news and they are sent to do such a thing. As We read,

“15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent?...”(Romans 10:15)

Again we see the being “sent” aspect the very word apostle means “one who is sent, or sent one.( Check concordance again) This is not limited to apostles, evangelist and others may be sent also. But the preachers of the gospel will often be moving from place to place . This is different than local elders and other aspects in the body ministry . Apostles can also be local elders as Peter was (1Peter 5:1), and yet still have itinerant aspects ( About leading about a wife ) .
But some will say “wait a minute , Paul preached all through the night in Acts” . This is true, but lets examine this closer. The verse used is ,

“And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight”(Acts 20:7)

The word , “preached” here, is found only once in the New Testament, and it means, “check my concordance meaning diagrams?? To have a discussion. So this is not the same word as “preach” the gospel or to herald as a town cryer. Paul had a dialogue or discussion with them all through the night . He was about to go and wanted to share and discuss much. This is far from justifying a one man pastor ministry over all. The kind if preaching that is referred to for gospel preachers is seen when Paul preached on Mars Hill (Acts 27:22-33), or when Peter preached on the day if Pentecost (Acts 3:??). Paul speaks if this preaching round about in his itinerant work when he says,

“Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. “(Romans 15:19)

The expression , “round about” shows the itinerant aspect . Paul was not alone in this all the apostles and other evangelist and even prophets could be involved in such work. Paul speaks of the gospel preachers besides himself when he says,

“For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, even by me and Silvanus and Timotheus, was not yea and nay, but in him was yea.“( 2 Corinthians 1:19)

Remember that Timotheus and Silvanus were apostles and as such were sent ones and preachers, (1 Thessalonians 1:1, and 1 Thessalonians 2:6)

Again we see the apostolic itinerant work. And again this word “preached “ means, “of uncertain affinity; to herald (as a public crier), especially divine truth (the gospel):--preacher(-er), proclaim, publish.”(Strongs concordance dictionary).

And Paul as an apostle itinerant worker could receive help for his ministry but he did not choose this very often.

But as far as reaping done canal things from men in itinerant work, Paul says,

“ If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal “1 Corinthians 9:11)

It was a small thing after sowing spiritual truth to receive some carnal benefit from them. This was not a regular wage or salary. But most likely some shelter, food and whatever else would be beneficial for his work. Again Paul days,

“If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ”1 Corinthians 9:12)

Paul could have taken some benefit from them as allowed of God to do so in such itinerant apostolic work. But he did not use this. Paul did not want to place any unnessisary burdens on believers and. some of the churches were poor and would not be able to support others. Paul didnt want people to think he was after their money or some wage. The very thought of only preaching to others if he got paid was a horrible thought to Paul, and he did not want to give this impression at all,

“What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel. “1 Corinthians 9:18)

But how many ministers today are not itinerant preachers, or some who are. And they won’t take on ministry until they are guaranteed a certain sum of money. Freely we have received, and freely we should give.

Paul clarifies in this chapter that he is speaking of more itinerant workers like apostles and evangelist by extension, the preachers,

“Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. 15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me”1(1 Corinthians 9:14,15)

It is worth noting that even though God allows apostles and preachers who go about preaching the gospel to receive some carnal benefit, for their itinerant work. Because of the type of work they do they may not be permanently situated in a town or area, so they need to be helped in the work, a place to stay and food would be good and whatever else they need. This is far different than getting a salary for years week after week. Paul also worked night and day sometimes. But local elders are situated in that town and can work. But Paul did not use this right here. What a good example for others today, espescially when we see so much merchandising of the gospel and shameful things in connection to taking money from others.
Jesus taught his apostles how to do itinerant work and they learned that the Lord provides for those who he sends. This again had to do specifically with itinerant or traveling ministry as they were “sent out”.

But we are warned about this in scripture in different places, we read if heir kings and merchandisers if the gospel and those who take of the believers.

“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you,...2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their “(2 Peter 1-3)

We are warned in various passages of scripture to beware of those who make the gospel chargeable or who make merchandise of the saints. Such men have caused a great stain in our modern world and they lead many astray today. They are covetous and follow the way of Balaam preaching for reward (Jude 1:11). They have fake words and put on a pretense trusting scripture to make others give them money. This is not the way God intends for ministry to function and Pauls words echo here when he said, “ when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge”.

Jesus sent them out with nothing and God took care of themwe read,

“These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, 10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.(Matthew 10:5-10 )

Here we see clearly the way Jesus sent the apostles out as itinerant workers. They were sent out, into a city, and to rely on the Lord.

And when they came back We read that they were taken care of,

“And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing”(Luke 22:35)

This is far different than what many do today where they are in an assembly local , not itinerant and they receive yearly wages and salaries . Did Jesus tell them to not preach unless they got a wage or salary? Did he promise them money ? Paul said having good and rainment let is be content( verse). If food and rainment are what God promises ( verse) why would done press for more here ?

The Bible warns of hirelings

There are men spoken of as “hirelings” in the old and new testaments,

“As a servant earnestly desireth the shadow, and as an hireling looketh for the reward of his work: “(Job 7:2)

The word “hireling” means, “sakyir-from 7936; a man at wages by the day or year:--hired (man, servant), hireling.”(strongs concordance dictionary.

These men look for the reward of his work. But what did Paul say about his reward? He said,

“What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge...”(verse)

Men like Paul and John and all true ministers reward was to see the believers in faith and walking in the truth (3 John 1:4),

But these hirelings do not care for the flock and are in it for financial gain. We read about this from The Lord himself,

“ I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. 12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. 13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep,...”(John 10:11-13)

DOUBLE HONOUR?

Many try to use a verse In 1 Timothy that Paul uses and try to apply it to their paid pastor over all. Although it dies not justify paying a salary to pastor gifting. Double honour does not mean double pay.In fact Paul speaks of elders “, plural here not just one man.
This verse says,

“ 17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine”(1 Timothy 5:17)

The word “honour” in this context means to “value someone” by analogy, to esteem” them implying that they are very precious, , (strongs concordance dictionary )
Interesting they do two things labour in word and doctrine. And this rule is as they are led by the anointing that teaches all things. The rule is to live from and in the new creation under Christ headship. Jesus Christ works effectually in every part of the body and in elders for the helping of the saints. The word rule here is not as the gentiles rule over others. The word rule used for the gentile rule has the meaning of control or to subjugate. This is not how elders are to be. They are to be an example in word and doctrine. Their function is more ministerial not magisterial. But that is another thread I have already touched on some of these things.
Paul uses a similar verse that can give a clue to what he is getting at in 1 Timothy about double honour, when he says,

“And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; 13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake”(1 Thessalonians 5:12-13)

First if all Paul says they should know those who labour among them. he is speaking of a plurality of men here not just one pastor gifting. this is how ministers come to be “Known” as they labour among them. when doing this their giftings are seen and heard. To be over them, echos of overseers who watch over This is very similar to the verse in 1 Timothy , to esteem them very highly is to honor them, and the word implies esteem and value in its meaning . Yes honouring someone can be to help them in areas of life life and needs etc. but in 1 Timothy 6:1 we read that servants are to honour their masters. This is the sane agrees word Paul used in chapter 5 for honoring elders that labour on word and doctrine. But we would not say that servants are to pay their masters, this would make no sense. But to honour them would. Paul also used the word “double” honour. To say they should have double pay or a double wage would make no sense, but the double aspect may refer to Paul’s twofold reason that they labour in the word and doctrine.
It is worth noting for those who still contend for a paid pastor over all that this does not speak of a regular salary or wage. And it does not speak of a single pastor gifting over all. Paul says elders "plural" here. What if there are four or five mature elders that do this in the small gatherings of those days, is Paul saying that they should all be paid a salary ? No, this would go beyond Paul’s word here. And this would also mean that all servants should pay their masters wages as well.
We can say that from time to time believers can bless others and help them in things they need and older men in the gatherings who labour in the word can be included in this. But the word still means honour or value esteem not pay or wage to the elders of the assembly .
If some press this section of honoring elders still, a remote possiblity could be looked at that Paul may be implying older men who cannot work anymore and who have been in oversight and who labour in the word being helped out. In theses days they did not have a welfare or old age pension like today. But this would not be applied to elders on general who Paul said should work with their own hands (Acts 20) . However this interpretation does not seem to be Paul’s intent. To honour is to highly esteem them in value and since they minister spiritual things in word and doctrine this spiritual fruit would be their reward.

One last thought here Paul did say that he took wages at a certain tone bit he considered this robbery and he did not take them for himself,

“...Have I committed an offence in abasing myself that ye might be exalted, because I have preached to you the gospel of God freely? 8 I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service. 9 And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me”(2 Cor 11:7-9

First, remember Paul as a itinerant worker could take benefits from others but he chose not to do this often. In fact when he did take benefits from others (most likely food shelter and what was needed for ministry ), he felt like he was ribbing them of he didn’t like to do this he didn’t want to be chargeable to anyone. He may have felt like some gave him more than was needed and so he felt like he robbed them. thus could be referring to his benefits from those at Thessolonia, , but Paul was an admirable person in this, he wanted others to be blessed as they gave he himself said he was content in whatever state (Philippians 4;15-20).
The word wages here implies to take rations for a soldier. This would have been things to help out and even money,but Paul did this for them not himself. So this was not at all like some regular salary for himself. And as we already discussed, itinerant traveling apostles and other itinerant ministries would be in need of help in these things , and god sends no man a ware faring at his own charges, when he sends them out.

When paul saw the false ministers in Corinth he expoised some of their marks, the same marks are for today as well of these men.

"...For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise.20 For ye suffer, if a man bring you into bondage, if a man devour you, if a man take of you, if a man exalt himself, if a man smite you on the face." ( 2 Corinthans 11;19,20 KJV)

notice there marks, they exalt themselves, ( how many do this today over all) , and in this talk they "take of you". Does this sound like Paul would have justified them having salaried ministers over them taking their money. Paul as an itinerant minister could have taken some benefit for his needs as God provides for sent ones. But even he did not do this there and gave an example to them as well.

"And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied: and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself." (2 Corinthans 11:9 KJV)

To sum this up the paid ministers issue

God calls elders to work with their own hands (Acts 20). They are made overseers by the Spirit and in plurality in every church. Many church gatherings were poor and could not pay for a full time plurality if payed salaried ministers. We don’t read of salaried ministers full time pay in the early church . Elders who labour in word and doctrine should be honoured, valued and highly esteemed. But the ones that need to be helped put in their work are the apostles or evangelist or those who are in itinerant work who are sent out and travel from place to place preaching the gospel. But they also can work as Paul did and the gospel should always be preached if they are sent and not for money. Ministers do not want to be hirelings who only preach for their living and financial gain. All ministry should be content with what they have. And it is more blessed than to receive.

Objections:

1. But some will say, "wait, how are we suppose to survive as ministers then?".

Answer: if you are a local elder, get a job work with your own hands. And if God send you out in an itinerant work, and you sow spiritual things he will provide for your carnal things. Also you may still have to work as Paul did.

2. But the church has been paying ministers for a long time.

Answer: but scripture teaches other things, we cannot base our understanding on men's commands and tradition if it makes the word of God of no effect.

3. So what are ministers to do? they will be on the street and their families etc the assembly may suffer.

Answer: This may take some time to adjust. But if the body is willing to help support them until they get work, that is good and eventually they should all meet in homes and edify eachother as Gods order shows a clear pattern for doing so in scripture. The large buildings may be used in some cases for the poor and sick and as evangelistic places. But church meetings with a meal and fellowship and mutual edification and prayer should be in homes generally.

4. But what about all the money for missions given.

Answer: this is still ok to help others and the body can still gather help for other provisions for the poor or ministry that is itinerant etc.

5. But, I teach tithing in our church and that is partly how i make money to survive

Answer: tithing is not a new testament practice. Tithing was for the Jews and particularly for the Levites. Only the Levites have a COMMAND to take tithes of the people that is of the Jews according to the law (Hebrews 7:5) But this issue will have to be a whole different thread.

6. But how can most of Christendom be wrong and you right?

Answer: the bible is right and i believe it. We should not follow the traditions of men over the scriptures, no matter how many people do.

7. What about all the money we need for other salaries for secretaries and workers and for the building fund and to pay for our hydro etc etc. ?

Answer: The body of Christ has bound them selves up greatly and made a big mess. If the building is paid for already and minour cost involved, it may be still useful to use it for evangelism and other events, and for the poor. But if not then either sell it and use the funds to help others in the body and the poor and gather in homes around Christ and wait on him. The funds from the building should go to the whole body and not just one Pastor who has it all in his name. That's my suggestion, one man should not get the funds completely.
As far as others salaries. This also may take some time. If you are willing to follow Gods order help eachother in the transition and for a while support the people who rely on these funds. But in all this i say consider Pauls words,

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:8

8. But we are registered with the government and get tax breaks etc. isnt this a good thing?

Answer: No this binds up the order of God from freely happening and to join hands with the shadow of Egypt is not good. God warned his people when they trust in the world in the past and said

"Woe to the rebellious children, saith the Lord, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin: 2 That walk to go down into Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to trust in the shadow of Egypt! 3 Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the trust in the shadow of Egypt your confusion." Isaiah 30:1-3

what is going to happen if churches in the United States and Canada and all over the world have to marry gay men? Will they compromise Gods truth for financial tax exemptions? There are other issues with the idea of being registered with the government. But this would take a whole thread to discuss this as well

9. I dont care what you write ,I am a pastor and I feel it is ok to take money for my survival and I dont have a problem with getting a salary.

Answer: read what I wrote again and consider Gods order. You also should not be in an exalted place over the entire body as scripture warns. Every member of the body can minister and share and elders (plural) should be able to teach and minister in their gifts as they walk in the anointing also. But if the whole body can edify itself under Christ headship ( Ephesians 4;15,16 1 Cor 14:26-37 Romans 12 etc etc) and all elders can oversee and by sound doctrine exhort and convince the gainsayers (Titus 1), then why do you think your ministry is to be above the rest? Did not God give apostles, prophets, evangelist, pastors and teaches to the body? Why is your one function dominant? Where do we see a one man minister over the whole church getting a salary in the new testament?

10. Some may feel, "But this is frightening to me, I am worried about how i can support my family and I have no other skills etc"

Answer: God is aware of all these things and he cares for you, let the body of believers be sensitive to this also and help their ministers and others who rely on the salaries and money to make the transition. It may take some time , but work towards this.

11. But I went to bible school and paid to get a degree and to become a pastor and I have a masters of Divinity and I can be a paid pastor.

Answer: this again is a long thread in itself. But elder/overseers are to be home grown, not some professional who comes from afar and gets hired. they have to be known among the body and meet the requirements for overseers. This is also not just one man, elders (plural) is the order of God (Acts 14:23). The body would know them for a while and they the brothers and sisters. They are known as they use the God given gifts they have. No man can buy his way into a oversight role or to be a pastor. A pastor gift is one of the five fold gifts given only by God. You cannot just go to a school and take a course for being a pastor. And Jesus said call no man master. How can men take such flattering titles to themsleves as Master of Divinity" or "reverend"

"Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ" (Matthew 23:10)

"For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away." (Job 32:22)

'He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name." (Psalm 111:9)

God bless

I can appreciate your long dissertation on this topic, but to help others come to an understanding on this issue I will try to keep it short and simplified.

1. Scriptures should always be interpreted in context, not only of its audience but also of its cultural times. In the end, we should be taking what is said and treating it as biblical concepts of truth to be applied to our current culture.

2. You have covered a lot of ground, touching on a lot of topics and subjects, to one’s own interpretations.

3. With all this said, my comments are as follows as I will focus on several biblical concepts.

There are those that believe that the New Testament does not teach giving to God in a tithing format. This comes from misunderstanding hermetical methods each of us practice. First, the Bible is made up of 66 books, all God inspired, and all playing its role in God’s revelation to the world. For those not familiar with tithing, it was a system designed in the Mosaic Law, for eleven tribes of Israel to give about 22% of all it goods to the Priestly tribe of Levi, whom the tribe was to give 10% of that to the priests. The concept was the tribe of Levi was to maintain the temple full time and did no other outside work. They did nothing else. This was by God’s command. Remember the concept.

Where did this giving concept come from? 600 years earlier Abram or Abraham gave a gift of 10% to God’s High Priest Melchizedek (Genesis 14:17-24) in honor of God’s blessings. Remember this concept.

Jesus states in Matt 5:17-20: 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and so teaches others, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.“ (NASB) Then Jesus make this statement in Matt 7:12 "Therefore, however you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. (NASB) How should I view these statements? Even though the Mosaic Law does not apply to the New Testament Church today; the Ten Commandment do and all the concepts of God’s Holiness and goodness reveled in the Old Testament carry over as well. It is my interpretation that the Sabbath was replaced by our First day of the week – Christ’s resurrection – just as the pass over was replaced by the Lord’s Supper. In the end, even though tithing is not specifically taught, gifts and giving are. Attitude is the key! Remember! “Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you, and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma. (Eph 5:1-2; NASB) If Abraham gave 10 % because of God’s goodness, should we be any less grateful to a God who gave everything through his Son – Jesus Christ. (2 Cor. Chapter 9)

As to the question of part time or full time pastors – paid or unpaid – my comments are as follows.

I like to build my doctrine on non-contradictory doctrine from Genesis to Revelation. Why? Because there are no contradictions in Scripture, for biblical truth to be true, it must agree with all other biblical truth. Something I have restated in both my books.

Concept one is revealed to us by Jesus Christ in Luke 10:1-9 where He states the following:

10 Now after this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them two and two ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come. 2 And He was saying to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 "Go your ways; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves. 4 "Carry no purse, no bag, no shoes; and greet no one on the way. 5 "And whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace be to this house.' 6 "And if a man of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him; but if not, it will return to you. 7 "And stay in that house, eating and drinking what they give you; for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not keep moving from house to house. 8 "And whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat what is set before you; 9 and heal those in it who are sick, and say to them,' The kingdom of God has come near to you.' (NASB)

This concept shows us that Jesus sent out his disciples with no money, with expectations that other believers would feed them and provide for their basic needs. Their mission while staying in these strangers homes was to PREACH the Gospel, while healing the sick.

The next concepts are revealed to us in First Timothy. The book is written to a young pastoral leader of the church and is instructed in how to lead and teach the New Testament church of Christ. Within this letter we find several concepts. In chapter 3 we find this comment: “It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do.” (1 Tim 3:1; NASB) Overseer (Pastor) is an office of an organized local church. It is also viewed as real work. It has been said many times to those seeking this office. “If you can do anything else, do it” Why? Because of the tremendous pressure both for a human and spiritual warfare standpoint this position faces. We then read this in 1 Tim. 5:17-18: “Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. For the Scripture says, "You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing," and "The laborer is worthy of his wages." (NASB) How do I interpret this? Simply by recognizing that an elder is an office of authority (rule well), they could be paid (worth of double honor), it was considered real work (preaching and teaching), and the position should not be muzzled by refusing to pay a wage for living, for “The laborer is worthy of his wages.” Pastors and elders are one and the same. In our current churches they may have different duties, but the Scripture see them as one and the same office.

There is a great deal that could be said in how to interpret God’s revelation to us. But then Hermeneutics is a three semester hour academic course in our Seminaries today and trying to compress all that here is not practical. So I will close my comments using the words of the Apostle Paul:

As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus, in order that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith. But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted. ( First Timothy 1:3-11; NASB)

Reactions: yeshuasavedme
Upvote 0

Asyncritus

Asyncritus
Dec 31, 2010
UK
✟16,206.00
Country
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Hi Love of truth

You have opened a very large can of worms here.

I fully agree with your use of scripture to establish the unscripturality of the practice of having paid preachers pastors etc etc.

But what about 'priests', bishops, archbishops,cardinals, popes and the whole abominable structure? Scripturally abominable, I mean.

And then we move on to churches, temples, cathedrals, palaces, even a state (the Vatican state)... and so the iist goes on.

Is there ever an end to man's stupidity, parading round in the name of religion? It makes my blood boil to watch the bishops etc leading services, clad in the extraordinarily expensive gold-bedecked 'robes' of the ancient idolworshipping priesthoods. And the sheep follow docilely, never asking an intelligent question of these leaders.

Yea brother: a VERY LARGE can of worms, indeed.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Interesting question but I have come in late and found 8 pages a little too much to read. I think it depends on the Church community and the circumstances. In a small Church I ministered at quite some time ago there were four of us we only had 1 service a week so between us all we were only required to prepare for 1 service every 4 weeks and we did that at no cost to the community. I have since changed where I worship and the Church has a full time Rector and works 6 days a week for the Church community and puts in a full day including religious instruction at the schools and taking Holy Communion at the nursing home in the district. He is a married man with children and his ministry is his full time vocation - of course he should be paid a salary for that responsibility.

Upvote 0

Captain Faris

Jul 13, 2015
✟15,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree, but I don't think there is only one "right" policy regarding full-time church pastors or staffs. I think a "professional" career track has a terrible impact on each leader who gets sucked into it. Yet the negatives could all be addressed one by one and avoided by anyone if they wished. I went to seminary and then spent 40 years teaching Bible but supporting myself as an Air Force intelligence analyst and later an IT consultant. I try to get young Bible teachers to at least "start" by training and supporting themselves. Yet I also know that it is possible to be paid and not "out of God's will". Before very many young men choose this route, however, we'll need to convince church boards that "they" are also "ministers" and accountable for leading their congregations. Good luck with that. I'm one of 5 elders and we have taught "elder run church" principles for 7 years. Yet the two elders who don't come from this tradition are absolutely unable to comprehend the concept. And the two other teaching elders are paid and say one thing and do another. This paid status has more or less ruined their teaching.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Church workers should be paid. Scripture says that we should not muzzle the ox that treads the grain. A Pastor should have a share in the fruit of the harvest.
Harvesting is hard work....

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/the-harvest-of-matt-13-reve-14.7283568/
The Harvest of Matt 13/Reve 14

Luke 9:62
But Jesus said to him, "No one having put his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."
Matt 13:30
"Suffer-ye! to be together-growing both until the Harvest.
And in the time of the Harvest I shall be declaring to the Harvesters 'together-collect the darnel.
.......[Reve 14:15]
Reve 14:15
And another Messenger came out out of the Sanctuary crying out in a voice great to the one sitting upon the cloud "send! the sickle of thee and reap!
that came the hour to reap, that is dried the harvest of the land.
[Joel 3:13/Matt 13:30]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The early Church met in homes for two reasons. 1) The main reason was because the Church was ILLEGAL for 300 years. You could be killed for being a Christian, or for promoting Christianity. 2)Secondly, there were not that many Christians, and when they were, they sought bigger edifices to house them, or went into the catacombs and worshipped in basilicas there.
'
No you are wrong sir,

we read this, right from the start of the church

"...
and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people." Acts 2:46,47

Notice the part that they met from "house to house" "HAVING FAVOUR WITH ALL THE PEOPLE"

Hmmm, so they did not go to homes because of persecution at the first. And if they did it didnt work to good Paul knew exactly where to find the believers in their homes.

"3 As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison." Acts 8:3

study to show thyself approved unto God

also we read about many different churches in homes for many years after some 40, to 60 years in the scriptures. And when Jesus sent the apostles out two by two he told them to go to homes and if there was peace there to stay there. this was training for future ministry in homes. Paul planted churches in homes everywhere and he did the same order ( as led by God) in every church. These large pagan type temple structures that Constantine wanted for the Christians to make them a more prominent religion in the empire and worldwide, were not directed by God to be done. But rather following the pagan religions they set up large buildings unbiblically called "churches: and a priest or minister over all who was paid. This messed up the function and understanding and working of the Church in a very negative way for a long time. We are still suffering from it.

Reactions: TheMissingRib
Upvote 0

Preacherbob

Jun 24, 2014
Alabama
✟15,135.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is not true what you say here in so many ways. God gives the gifts, no man can buy his way into them or have others teach the gifts. Yes brothers can teach others from the anointing that teaches all things. but it is not a bought ministry. And there are no such things as Masters of Divinity in the body of Christ. Jesus alone is the master. Jesus said call no man master. So why do many do this?

Why do many people just stress the one man pastor, God gave a five fold aspect of gifts apostle, prophets, evangelist pastors and teachers. Yet somehow this one gift dominates Christendom.

and there is no justification in scripture for such a one man pastor getting a salary form the body. Only itinerant apostolic workers and preachers can get some benefits for their work. If a person wants to bless an elder from time to time that is ok, but not in a salary wage for him alone to dominate over all in his ministry. The whole body can minister to one another under Christ leading and they are commanded to be allowed to do this and let God work 1 Cor 14;26-38
Masters of Divinity does not designate the holder of such as a "Master" in the terms of master to student or slave. The same as a Bachelors of Divinity does not make the holder of the certification a bachelor. Holders of such degrees of study are certified for they have put in the study time and effort to earn the certificates.
Who would you rather build your home, an architect with a masters degree, or a layman with a basic knowledge of carpentry? The same goes when it comes to the Bible and theological premiss. I would far rather learn from someone with a B-div. M-div, or a Phd-div. than someone who reaches for personal truths rather than Biblical truth.

Upvote 0

Greeble

Aug 27, 2007
Georgia
✟15,739.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, being a preacher's kid I am a bit biased on the issue of paying pastors.

I just wanted to jump in and point out that, while The Lord gives us our gifts, our talents, only a very few individuals are able to use them to their fullest without hard work, practice, and education. The ones who can we call 'geniuses' or 'savants'. The rest of us need teachers/coaches/practice etc.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If churches want their pastors to spend all their time visiting, doing outreach, leading programs and preaching and teaching then they should give them what they deserve as far as income, so they can provide for their families. The big hot shot pastors who make a lot get all the attention, but most pastors live like they are in poverty and deserve a lot better in my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Hopefully there would be those reading this who have "seen" organized 'religious busyness' for what it is, and not what it pretends to be! (II Peter 2:1-3)

Those who have REALized(not just read)that "the natural man can not receive the things that are of The SPIRIT that IS Our FATHER and GOD! For that which is of Our FATHER and GOD is foolishness unto the natural man and he can not know such things, for that which is of The SPIRIT that IS Our FATHER and GOD needs be Spiritually discerned"....... (I Corinthians 2:14)

Simply, there IS Only One "Pure Religion And Undefiled"!

"Pure Religion and Undefiled before Our FATHER and GOD is this! To visit The FATHERless(those who have no relationship with The GOD and FATHER{Creator} of ALL), and widows (those whose "bridegroom" has not risen from among the dead)in their affliction and to keep oneself uncontaminated by the world!" (James 1:27)

Not a system but The Active Faith of those who, in TRUTH, have been "Born Again" of The Holy, Set Apart, SPIRIT! Those "sons of Our FATHER and GOD" who have their portion !NOW! in HIS Family, of "WHOM the whole Family in Heaven and ON EARTH is named".......(II Thessalonians 2:10-12, John 3:3,7, I Peter 1:23, I John 3:1-2, Philippians 2:15, Ephesians 3:15)

"A Household of Faith" indeed and TRUTH! (Galatians 6:10, Ephesians 2:19)

Simply, ALL other religion IS "IMPURE and DEFILED"!

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2008/10/religion-is-way-of-this-wicked-world.html

And notice that "Pure and Undefiled" religion is "oneself (personal)", The Brethren of The Messiah desiring and seeking to share with others that which they have both "seen(experienced)and heard (received)" as they are led of The Holy, Set Apart, SPIRIT that IS Our FATHER and GOD....... (I John 1:3)

Simply, corporate "religion" is pagan and of this wicked world!

In the u.s.a. they are naught but 501(c3) Not-For-Profit corporations, not for anyone's profit Spiritually, indeed and TRUTH!

catholicism, christianity, judaism, islam, buddhism,,,, etc.......

History has revealed, and yet reveals, that multiplied billions have been killed and enslaved(in physical chains at times, yet primarily in the chains of "strong delusion" that are the commandments and doctrines of men) in the name of the god(s) of this, or that religion!

Proving that the fruit of death and enslavement are bore of religion's way,

Because life is but a pawn in the wicked game they play.......

Once again, there IS Only One "Pure Religion and Undefiled"! (James 1:27)

Not a system! But the "Born Again" brethren of The Messiah who have their portion !NOW! in The Spiritual "Family of Our FATHER and GOD".......(John 3:3,7, I Peter 1:23, Ephesians 3:15)

ALL other religions but carry on the legacy of the pharisee's and are of "the father of lies", he who is "the god of this evil world"! (John 8:44, II Corinthians 4:4)

Yet, the worst of the worst are pagan catholicism and her harlot christian daughters, for because of the "strong delusion" they propagate, "The Way of TRUTH is evil spoken of"! (II Peter 2:1-3, II Thessalonians 2:10-13)

"Come out from among them and be separate!"(II Corinthians 6:17)

And yes! "atheism" is a religion as well, for atheists see their version of a self-serving god each and every time they view their reflected "image".......

However, 'religion' was, and is yet needful for the natural man! Those "disobedient and gainsaying (contradicting and opposing GOD)people", who are "stiff-necked and uncircumcised of heart and ears"....... For they would rather have a man than "Our FATHER and GOD" speak to, and rule over them!(Exodus 20:19, l Samuel 8:4-21, Romans 10:21, Acts 7:51)

Simply, The Faithful "BORN AGAIN" "sons of Our FATHER and GOD" will not create a religion, for The Faithful ARE Family! (I Peter 1:23, I John 3:1-2, Philippians 2:15)

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2011/07/family-of-faith-or-system-of-religion.html

The Family of "Our FATHER and GOD", "of WHOM the whole Family in Heaven and ON EARTH is named"!(Ephesians 3:15)

And NEW "Jerusalem which IS above IS free, and IS !NOW! the mother of us all (sons of Our FATHER and GOD)"!(Galatians 4:26)

Simply, "brethren" will not create a 'religion', for what are the brethren of The Messiah and "sons of Our FATHER and GOD" if not Family?

"A Household of Faith" indeed and TRUTH....... (Galatians 6:10, Ephesians 2:19, II Thessalonians 2:10-13)

And would not The Family of The One and Only True GOD (SPIRIT) and FATHER (CREATOR) of ALL be much closer than a natural, fleshly family!

For The Family of Our FATHER and GOD IS ONE! (John 17:13-23)

And so it is, that those who have chosen to follow The Messiah on "The Narrow Way" have had to "forsake their natural parents, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters", and all others who do not seek and desire to follow The Messiah on "The Narrow Way" that is "The Way to The TRUTH of The Life"! (Matthew 7:14, Luke 14:26, Mark 10:29-31, John 14:6)

And Yes! they have forsaken their own life("I",id,ego,self,pride)as well....... (Luke 9:23)

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-must-die.html

Thankfully so!

Sadly, the multitudes of worldly and/or religious ones have chosen to follow that "broad way to destruction" because of their "love for this evil world and their own life in, and of it"....... (Matthew 7:13, I John 2:15; 5:19, John 12:25, James 4:4)

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2009/07/simply-progress-so-called-is-destroying.html

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2014/10/love-not-world.html

And once again, for TRUTH always bears repeating: "The Faithful brethren of The Messiah will not create a religion, for The Faithful ARE Family"!(Ephesians 3:15)

And Thankfully! While breath(spirit, air)is, HOPE IS.......

For TRUTH IS! and Miracles do happen.......

Hope IS there would be those who experience The Miracle that is receiving "a love of The TRUTH"! (II Thessalonians 2:10-13)

For those who have experienced The Miracle that is receiving "a love of The TRUTH" will "Come Out" of that which is of this evil world (babylon), and especially religion's(all of which are "cults") way!(John 7:7, James 1:27; 4:4)

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2013/05/one-needs-receive-love-of-truth-to-be.html

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2014/10/someone-accused-me-of-being-member-of.html

And they will enter into "the glorious Liberty of the children of The Only True GOD"! Being set evermore Free from the "I(ego, id, self, pride)" that desires it's way rather than "The Way" as revealed in both The Life and Teachings of The Messiah.......(Romans 8:21, John 17:3)

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-must-die.html

So it is they will have naught to do with religion and/or those religious "disobedient and gainsaying (contradicting and opposing GOD) people" who have their portion in the destruction of Creation(air, water, land, vegetation, creatures)and the perversion of that which IS SPIRIT(TRUTH, Light, Life, Love, Peace, Hope, Faith, Mercy, Grace, Miracles,,,,,, All that is Truly GOOD)! (Romans 10:21, Matthew 7:13)

http://asimpleandspirituallife.blogspot.com/2009/07/simply-progress-so-called-is-destroying.html

Simply, those who have "received a love of The TRUTH" will have naught to do with the ways of this evil world and/or religion....... For they seek and desire to "forsake ALL for The Kingdom of Heaven's sake"! (II Thessalonians 2:10-13, John 7:7, James 1:27, Matthew 13:34)

And so they choose to remain but "aliens and pilgrims while on the earth"...... For they have REALized that their "citizenship (Life) IS !NOW! in Heaven", and that soon, and very soon, they will be taken Home, Home at last! (Hebrews 11:13, I Peter 2:11, Philippians 3:20, John 14:2-3)

Till then:

They REALize evermore how "poor and in need" of Our FATHER and GOD they Truly are! (Psalms 70:5; 72:13, John 20:17)

So it is we "cry unto HIM day and night"....... (Luke 18:7)

Sounding and resounding a Declaration of Dependence:

FATHER Help!

HE DID! and HE does.......

So Peace IS! in spite of the dis-ease (no-peace) that is of this evil world and/or religion's way....... (John 14:27; 7:7, I John 2:15-17; 5:19, James 1:27; 4:4, Philippians 4:7)

ALL Thanks and Praise Be Unto Our FATHER(TRUTH, SPIRIT, CREATOR, GOD, LORD, MASTER, LIGHT, LOVE, LIFE,,,,,,, ALL IN ALL that which IS Truly GOOD)!

Upvote 0

D. A. Taylor

Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Kingman, AZ
Visit site
✟24,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciated the accuracy and courage of the original post. As I read through the replies, I frankly was amazed at how many people twist Jesus' instructions and simply refuse to be in submission to Him. In Matthew 10:8-10, our Lord plainly told his followers: "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. Do NOT acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support [Greek: nourishment -- not money]" And even though these are the words of God, most of the replies conclude, "So what? Here's the way I look at it." And this instruction from God is nothing new. The ancient prophets also condemned the use of money in God's religion: "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us" (Micah 3:11). Thus it's clear that on this issue of paying people to preach, most of Christianity has turned their back to God's instructions, just as did the Jews did when He criticized their use of money (BTW: that's why they killed Him). The words of Jesus Christ simply have no authority to most Christians.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Masters of Divinity does not designate the holder of such as a "Master" in the terms of master to student or slave. The same as a Bachelors of Divinity does not make the holder of the certification a bachelor. Holders of such degrees of study are certified for they have put in the study time and effort to earn the certificates.
Who would you rather build your home, an architect with a masters degree, or a layman with a basic knowledge of carpentry? The same goes when it comes to the Bible and theological premiss. I would far rather learn from someone with a B-div. M-div, or a Phd-div. than someone who reaches for personal truths rather than Biblical truth.

Hello,

you speak this just the way the world would speak it.

and a "master of Divinity" is a flattering title we should never see such a thing in the body of Christ

"For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away."Job 32;22

and this is very clear to me

"Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ." Matthew 23:10

I dont need to try and explain some man being called a master by some rudimentray philosophy and man made teaching. It is still true as my brother John spoke,

"26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." 1 John 2:26,27

and we are still warned to,

"8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."

You said,

"Holders of such degrees of study are certified"

what does this mean? and what scripture do you bring for such things.? Paul said,

"And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified....And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." 1 Corinthians 2;1-5

You said,

"Who would you rather build your home, an architect with a masters degree, or a layman with a basic knowledge of carpentry? "

Jesus said he would build his church and he builds his church in the believers as every one edifies ( or builds up as a house builder) one another , and this can happen and should whenever they gather together. But sadly a one man ministry has been set up a long time again and this quenches the gifts and body ministry and exalts a man over all. Even if he is a very benevolent man, he is still in a place that hinders others. Even if he is very eloquent and can reherse his written down messages. This again is not Gods way.

And you use the word "layman". There is no man made division called "clergy" and laity" in the bible. This man made error creates a schism in the gatherings. The clergy, comes from the word "kleros, and means an inhertiance, and all Gods people are the kleros of God as scripture says. Also the word "laity" means the people. and all Gods people are the laity. This false division is man made

we also find some men taking flattering titles such as
"Reverend". But reverend is Hos name, Gods name alone as scripture teaches

You said,"I would far rather learn from someone with a B-div. M-div, or a Phd-div. than someone who reaches for personal truths rather than Biblical truth."

Hmmm, the apostles did not have a B-div. M-div, or a Phd-div, and they did just fine. They had been with Jesus. The pharisees and religious crowd judge by such things and love to be called Rabbi etc. and they said this

"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus." Acts 4:13

I would rather learn from such men in the Spirit, than the pharisees who considered professed themselves wise and learned men.

The anointing teaches us all things and we have no need that any man should teach us. Yes God works in the body and teachers in the anointing, so we do not hear men, (or the old man) we hear the anointing and the new man in Christ. The word of God words in those who believe. Paul commended the Ephesians elders to God and the word of His grace which is able to build them up. He did not commend them to Dallas theological seminary and to get a masters degree and a B-div, or Phd-div, or any other wordly rudiments.

peace in Jesus name

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really appreciated the accuracy and courage of the original post. As I read through the replies, I frankly was amazed at how many people twist Jesus' instructions and simply refuse to be in submission to Him. In Matthew 10:8-10, our Lord plainly told his followers: "Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give. Do NOT acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts, or a bag for your journey, or even two coats, or sandals, or a staff; for the worker is worthy of his support [Greek: nourishment -- not money]" And even though these are the words of God, most of the replies conclude, "So what? Here's the way I look at it." And this instruction from God is nothing new. The ancient prophets also condemned the use of money in God's religion: "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us" (Micah 3:11). Thus it's clear that on this issue of paying people to preach, most of Christianity has turned their back to God's instructions, just as did the Jews did when He criticized their use of money (BTW: that's why they killed Him). The words of Jesus Christ simply have no authority to most Christians.

amen and that verse in Micah is a good verse I was thinking to use it also.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,499.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Church workers should be paid. Scripture says that we should not muzzle the ox that treads the grain. A Pastor should have a share in the fruit of the harvest.

Show me one scripture that says there is one man over a church called the pastor who gets a salary or wage...one scripture.

and I only want to hear from the word of God not history, or so called "church fathers" or Constantines church he built. Scripture

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.